Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 252872 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

Eric

Arlington Heights, IL

#197449 Dec 23, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>You proved nothing!
You only showed your ignorance.
The Septuagint was translated into Greek from the Hebrew Scriptures and it was read by Greek speaking Jews who did not speak Hebrew and were unable to read the Hebrew Scriptures written in Hebrew.
See, now you've changed what you originally said. You said that the Septuagint was translated by 70 Jewish scholars and then you gave a discussion of Isaiah. I told you that the 70 scholars only did the first 5 books--which would not have included Isaiah.

Now your statement is that the Septuagint was translated into Greek from the Hebrew Scriptures. No mention of the 70 scholars.

Of course the Hebrew was at some time translated into Greek--which is all you now say.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#197450 Dec 23, 2013
Now Shamma trying to teach an "authentic Jew" about Jewish Scripture!!

This should be fun!!

I doubt if our Shamma can read either Greek or Hebrew or Arabic.

But it is interesting how will he claim "master hood" in each of these languages.

Mr. Eric, now the ball is in your court. Let us see your response.!!

PS:

I do not know, how a Greek Translation can make Hebrew Original redundant.

Seventy or 100 Scholars does not mean any thing, it would not grant them immunity from error and mis-interpretation.
Truth Seeker

New Delhi, India

#197451 Dec 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
Now this is strange, really strange!!
Our Hindu Extremist (Truth Seeker) turning to Christian Extremist (Shamma) to lend each other support to pin down Muslim Extremist!!
There is a saying in Hindi "Chor Chor Mausere Bhai" in English it is said as "Birds of same flock gather together".
Against islam, people of all other "popular" religions will unite, this itself proves which is on true path.
MUQ,

After BMZ, it is now your turn then to take over the scene.

You really make me wonder man!!!! So, in your above statement, on one hand you accept that BMZ is a Muslim extremist, but in the very next sentence, you say that being an extremest is acceptable for a Muslim since all Muslims unite in that Extremism. Excellent, really wonderful ..... YOU HAVE ALMOST ADMITTED THAT ISLAM SUPPORTS EXTREMISM.

For you information, I am not a Hindu Extremist. I am only a Seeker of The TRUTH. If I at all I am an Extremest, then it is in the cause of establishing TRUTH.
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

#197452 Dec 23, 2013
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

#197453 Dec 23, 2013
So-called religion of peace rife with violent extremism

http://www.times-standard.com/guest_opinion/c...

JOEL THUMBS UP

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#197456 Dec 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>

And your comments about Kaaba show how idiotic can you be.

Why, didn't Muhammad kiss and hug the stone phallus set in a vaginal ring in the Kaaba?

Were those acts of simulated oral sex?

Muhammad was a notorious pedophile and could have been bisexual and so I can well believe his penchant for gay oral sex with a stone phallus.

JOEL THUMBS UP

Location hidden

#197459 Dec 23, 2013
"May Love defend thee from Oblivion’s curse."

JOEL THUMBS UP

Location hidden

#197462 Dec 23, 2013
Muhammad was a spiritual pygmy, a moral disaster and an intellectual failure.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#197463 Dec 23, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>I think I heard a mouse fart again. btw that mouse should remember that the mouse and I had this discussion before and I proved the point on the Septuagint.
Eric--- The 70 scholars only translated the first 5 books(of the Tanach).

HughBe--- Please prove and cite authoritative sources. When was the Masoretic Text translated and what was it translated from?
Tell me, what is the only reliable translated scriptures and explain your feelings.
Thanks.

Eric---I think I heard a mouse fart again.

HughBe-- You never fail to create the opportunity to mention either directly or indirectly your favourite topic, hole or the discharge from that hole.

Eric---btw that mouse should remember that the mouse and I had this discussion before and I proved the point on the Septuagint.

HughBe-- Typical Judahite, there is no truth in you. YOU are currently discussing the matter with another poster so do as you are told and provide the proof and answer the questions as s/he and others have an interest in hearing that atomic explosion from your hole.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#197464 Dec 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
From where you got this name Joachim as grandfather of Mary? In Which Gospel it is mentioned?
You know nothing about the religion of Islam MUQ.
I will teach what the Quran Says:

The House of Imran (Arabic: &#1570;&#1604; &#1593;&#1605;&#15 85;&#1575;&#1606;) is the 3rd chapter of the Qur'an. Imran is Arabic for the biblical figure Amram, the father of Moses and Aaron, who is regarded by Muslims as being the ancestor of Mary and Jesus through his son Aaron. In Muslim belief, however, the Christian Joachim has been attributed the name Imran as well. Muslims distinguish between the two different individuals as:
"Imran, ancestor of Mary", who is Amram
"Imran, father of Mary", who is Joachim

Grave Nabi Imran, Tomb of Mary, Jerusalem
On Qur'an 19:28, the classical Islamic scholar and commentator ibn Kathir says in his work Tafsir ibn Kathir; "(O sister of Harun!) This means, "O one resembling Harun (Aaron) in worship....(O sister of Harun!) referring to the brother of Musa, because she was of his descendants. This is similar to the saying,`O brother of Tamim,' to one who is from the Tamimi tribe, and `O brother of Mudar,' to one who is from the Mudari tribe. It has also been said that she was related to a righteous man among them whose name was Harun and she was comparable to him in her abstinence and worship."[12]

As for the figure of Joachim/Imran, he is revered by Muslims for being the father of Mary and the grandfather of Jesus and also for being one of the most saintly men present in Jerusalem at the time, alongside the priest Zachariah. By tradition, Imran's wife was Hannah, the Catholic Saint Anne.
Nina Q

Thessaloníki, Greece

#197465 Dec 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no Prophet Superior or Inferior. Allah gave special status to each of them, as He wished.
To Abraham, He chose and he became patriarch and so many prophets came from his progeny.
To Jacob, he made as patriarch of Jews and so many prophets came form his progeny.
To Joseph, He gave the Kingdom of Egypt.
To Moses, He spoke face to face.
To David, He made iron "soft as putty".
To Solomon, he gave kingdom over all living forms and made air go as per his wishes.
To Jesus, he created by special miracle without any male intervention and gave many miracles...
And to other prophets, He gave of His blessings and bounties as He wished.
It is not for us to rank and fight which is "Superior and which is inferior prophet".
Allah says in Quran "These prophets We endowed with gifts, some above others, to some of them God spoke others He raised to degrees (of honor): To Jesus the son of Mary He gave clear signs and strengthened him with Holy Spirit...." (2:253).
And in the end of chain, He sent the Last and Final prophet. Who came for entire humanity and his mission was to last till the end of world.
To us every prophet is honorable and we do not start rating prophets.
But every other religious group, try to prove that his prophets is the "Greatest of all".
Jews do it for Moses and Christians do it for Jesus.
It is only Muslims who respect all prophets and do not try to rate prophets.
Our prophet said "Do not raise my status as Christians did with Jesus and raised him to the level of God, I am Allah's servant and His messenger, so say only this".
And on one occasion he said "Do not rate me above Jonah the son of Matta"...
What balanced and level headed teachings from the mouth of last Prophet!!
And then you see these uncouth people talking filth and dirt about the "Noblest Soul that breathed on earth"
Their day does not end peacefully unless they spit out some of their venom on these threads.
respect for all prophets MUQ? are you sure?

do you call this the muslim respect for this ..prophet?

<<New rash of church closings, signs hung near church saying "Jesus is a dog," "Kill the Christians>

Jesus is a dog? we all know how much respect muslims have for dogs.

nice words MUQ but they are just that : words.

actions speak louder than words though.

do you have any explanation for this .. respect MUQ?
http://www.jihadwatch.org/2013/12/interfaith-...

JOEL THUMBS UP

Location hidden

#197466 Dec 23, 2013
I'm glad the Christian churches in Europe are increasingly closing down. This signals the end of a dead cult with zero civilizational value as it is the case with other religions who have lost most of their members to atheism, rationalism, humanism or eastern mind-matter mystical traditions. Let reason, ethics and intuition take over the entire human race. Whenever a person or a nation attains to a certain high degree of intellectualism, it usually signals the death of religion whose basis is the unregenerate emotional self. The more religious a nation is, the more backward it is.

JOEL THUMBS UP

Location hidden

#197467 Dec 23, 2013
THE INDIA-US DIPLOMATIC SPAT:

Diplomatic immunity is no excuse to break the laws of a land.

No one is above the law but the law is rarely enforced in India and here most people have weird ideas and warped values and live in a vague bubble constructed of hollow yapping and ill-informed hearsay which does not speak well of their level of intelligence - all thanks to patriarchy, the inferior educational system and the bull-shit of the religious teachings that permeates the very air we breathe in India.

The concerned Indian lady diplomat, Devyani Khobragade, has that typical uncivilized, lower middle class, greedy, patronizing Subcon attitude that looks down on servants, easily accepts bribes, gives bribes to concerned officials, steals from the national treasury, underpays servants, overworks helpers, lies to law enforcing officers, falsifies documents, gets rivals murdered and flaunts the bull shit of India's so-called superior ancient culture to score brownie points in an intellectual discussion.

I am glad she's arrested but her offense was not that serious to call for a cavity search or to be jailed with muggers and drug pedlars.

The diplomatic row over this incident between the US and India is dying out...

The educated middle class Indians with low self-respect and a slavish mentality and poor manners and greed to earn dollars rush to settle down in the US, UK and Australia but the elite Indians - wealthy, well educated and classy - stay put in their posh enclaves in Indian cities.

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

#197468 Dec 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
This so called "Truth Seeker" is not seeking truth.
This is the problem with these "Qualitative" names. I have found that most people with "Qualitative" names are exactly opposite to what their name suggests.
I think they silence their inner conscience by their names.
It is much better to have initials or neutral names on these thread than calling your self "Truth seeker" or "Thinker" or similar names.
Look at this discussion going on between BMZ and the so called Truth Seeker. Is there any major issue involved here?
Nothing, just moving in circles and calling names.
What Truth is this Truth Seeker Seeking, I fail to realize. He will go on in endless circular motion, covering lot of ground and moving no where!!
rabbee: christian truth, muslim truth never the twain shall met. like two deceptions, trying to convince each other, they are the only true deception. when neither side is telling the real truth, which one is true? the arguments between two taught liars, is still a futile moot argument. like two mandella interpreters, arguing with each other.

Denver, CO

#197469 Dec 23, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for sharing your beliefs.
It would be nice, though, if you would at least acknowledge that they are your personal beliefs, and not the beliefs of your prophet. Remember, thou shalt not "rate".(But you just did).
rabbee: rate a minute! when you shall not rate. in the comparing of, apples to potatoes. where the apple declares i am the only true apple, and the potato says no your not for i am the only true potato.
Alex WM

London, UK

#197470 Dec 23, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go making a fool of yourself again and again!
You talk about a woman of Imran, who gave birth to Mary, the mother of Jesus.
That woman's name was not Mary! Mary was the name of the female child that the woman of Imran delivered.
Dismissed again!
lol...
Truth Seeker seeks his own version of "truth"!..
Salaams, Alex

Denver, CO

#197471 Dec 23, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
What did the "last prophet", Muhammad, achieve in matters spiritual and temporal? LOL.
rabbee: added more cyanide, to the religious pot. in an attempt to destroy peace, with the promise of peace. for without the instructions of all these other diverse g-ds religiously, we would have peace.
Alex WM

London, UK

#197472 Dec 23, 2013
Truth Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Shamma,
Both BMZ, MUQ and all the other Muslims, frequenting this thread is well aware about this Big Blunder of "Quran". But they will never admit it. Please do not be emotional, We have almost established that The so called Prophet of Islam has Blundered Big Time on this issue of Mary & Jesus....
Do you understand what is meant by "Son of David"?
Can you use the same logic for "son of...daughter of ....brother of....sister of......Imran"?

Denver, CO

#197473 Dec 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
You of the least people should come to the defense of these "clothless munis"....they should go to jungle and live amongst animals. Why they inhibit amongst human population and mix with them.
They are taking there "shunning worldly pleasures" to extreme, this shows highest level of stupidity, to act like animals, when God made them humans and instilled into them the feeling of shame.
This is not religious interpretation, but stupidity.
And your comments about Kaaba show how idiotic can you be.
rabbee: not all dogs, get along with each other religiously. but according to TheTorah, there are not that many humans, here in TheTorah for this end of the sixth day. even if this, doggone world says otherwise. and in fact have not been any humans here, since between the first and second appearance of Adam. as i am pretty sure the human population, was on the decline after Moshe. in the period of the time, of the domestication as animals.
Nina Q

Thessaloníki, Greece

#197474 Dec 23, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
I'm glad the Christian churches in Europe are increasingly closing down. This signals the end of a dead cult with zero civilizational value as it is the case with other religions who have lost most of their members to atheism, rationalism, humanism or eastern mind-matter mystical traditions. Let reason, ethics and intuition take over the entire human race. Whenever a person or a nation attains to a certain high degree of intellectualism, it usually signals the death of religion whose basis is the unregenerate emotional self. The more religious a nation is, the more backward it is.
oh come on. It's "reason, ethics and intuition" that you wish they ll take over.You just want christianity to be replaced by something else.
Of course you're happy that christian churches are closing down That's because you re happy that new churches are opening So in fact you're happy about the closing down of christian churches because other churches are opening.

"members of Atheism" ??
members? nah.. rather the new believers

==
Atheism starts its megachurch: Is it a religion now?
The non-religious Assembly is perhaps the fastest growing church in the world -- and it's coming to a mall near you
http://www.salon.com/2013/09/22/atheism_start...

megachurch?? for megamembers? Or just the new megafanatics?

yeah I thought so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Archaeology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Origin of Hindu Brahmins (Aug '08) Jun 7 MUQ2 194
News If Captain Cook's ship is found, whose is it? R... Jun 1 Hostis Publicus 24
News Who Is Allah? (Jul '08) May '16 Joel 13,168
News Giant sphere sparks debate Apr '16 Phyllis Schlafly ... 1
News Did Islam reach France 1,300 years ago? DNA and... Apr '16 Muslim Bounty Hunter 19
News Send in the archaeologists to help restore Palm... Mar '16 Ostreology 1
Stunning 2200-Year-Old Mosaics Discovered in An... Mar '16 west38 1
More from around the web