Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 253994 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

bmz

Since: Mar 08

Singapore

#195091 Nov 15, 2013
yehoshooah adam wrote:
rabbee: well i can't say i enjoyed, reading it as much in TheTorah. when none of he guys a, the pool hall, told me she was putting out for the more subtle than any other beast again. since i am here in TheTorah, there are not that may choices left with nobody here in it again. with the whole world all pretending they are somewhere else other than here in ONLY TheTorah from G-D.
Of course, you would not have enjoyed that because the woman of yours, was a two timer in that field of the subtle beasts.

On the holy Second Wedding, make sure that the wedding banquet is held under theTorahPavillion, not in the field. Once you know her, buckle up the chastity belt with a digital lock, the code being known only to you.
bmz

Singapore

#195092 Nov 15, 2013
@ Rabbee

Nice pic, Rabbee. It shows that you are the oldest of them all.
bmz

Singapore

#195093 Nov 15, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>What makes a Christian sure of the death and resurrection of Jesus, you ask?
The answer:
Christians have God in their life, that is somethings Muslims will never have in their life nor in their after life!
His Personality:
The Character of Muhammad
1. A REVIEW OF MUHAMMAD'S PERSONALITY
A GENERAL ASSESSMENT OF HIS CHARACTER
No one can study the life of Muhammad without being impressed with his rise from a mere citizen of Mecca to the undisputed role of the leader of the Arabs throughout the Arabian Peninsula. Yet even here a general historical perspective is insufficient. It is not just a dominant figure that is under consideration but one who claimed to be the last and greatest of all God's prophets for all humanity from the beginning to the end of time. He has to be assessed from a religious as well as an historical viewpoint and it is perhaps appropriate to make such an evaluation at this very point before examining his prophetic convictions in more detail.
The Muslim world draws an absolute conclusion here without further ado. Muhammad was the greatest of all the prophets, indeed Allah's universal messenger to all mankind, and an example of human conduct and behaviour without reproach. He was sinless, though not without human failings, but irreproachable in his role as His choice representative on earth. The Christian view, however, has been very different and has generally perceived him to be, on the one hand, a great leader and reformer who led the Arabs out of pagan darkness, to the other extreme, namely that he was a demon-possessed impostor whose deliberate purpose was to lead the world astray and to darken the minds of millions of men from seeking the light of the Gospel of
Jesus Christ.
In the eyes of the pagan Arabs Muhammad was considered a God.
A RELATIVE OR AN ABSOLUTE STANDARD OF JUDGMENT?
In seventh-century Arabia polygamy was regarded as perfectly acceptable and caravan-raiding was often looked on as a natural pursuit. The wise man did not question the morality of such activity, he simply sought to defend himself and protect his property as best he could and with the assistance of his tribe or clan. Muhammad passed no judgments on either of these two facets of Arabian life and it has often been suggested that it is improper to critically evaluate him against the background of standards in the traditional Christian world.
Muhammad cannot be allowed to escape such analysis. He openly projected himself as a universal messenger to the whole of mankind (kaaffatan-linnaasi) to give them glad tidings and warnings (Surah 34:28), the Qur'an states that Allah himself and all the angels of heaven send down blessings upon him (Surah 33:56), he is described as a mercy to all the worlds (rahmatan-lil'aalamiin) sent by Allah himself, and the seal of all the prophets (khaataman-nabiyyiin) and the Apostle of Allah (Surah 33:40). These are all claims to universal leadership and example and, in making them, he must be judged by absolute standards.
God is not a pagan that we should accept the seventh century standards of Muhammad as the standards of God and give Muhammad a pass on the life he lead.
Off-topic again.

The death and resurrection of Jesus IS a lie and the biggest hoax. You have a triune God instituted by pagan kings and pagan philosophers, Shamma.

This is a fact which you cannot deny!
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#195094 Nov 15, 2013
Mahmood wrote:
<quoted text>
I am only grilling you on Islam and no one else right now, because you are the one preaching Islam and when confronted with questions, you run. My message to you is don't preach without adequate backup.
So I was right about your intentions. You are not in the market for knowledge or listen to others.

Your aim is only to "grill" people.

That is why I advised you to go and consult an "expert"
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#195095 Nov 15, 2013
True Guidance and Light series (5)

The Promised Prophet of the Bible By: Munqidh Bin Mahmoud Assaqqar, PhD. Part-12

CH-4. THE DISCIPLES’ LACK OF UNDERSTANDING OF THE PROPHECIES ABOUT THE MESSIAH (Contd.)

The mentioned verse in the Book of Hosea has nothing to do with Jesus (PBUH). Instead, it tells about the return of the nation of Israel from Egypt with Moses. Originally, the context is about Jacob, and then it moves on to talk about his sons and their return from Egypt, their idol worshipping, and ignoring God’s commandments and orders. He said:-

"When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt. As they called them, so they went from them: they sacrificed unto Baal, and burned offerings to the idols." (Hosea: 11/1-2).

This verse has nothing to do with Jesus (PBUH); the worshipping of idols mentioned, took place before Jesus (PBUH), and it cannot be applied to the people who were contemporary with him (PBUH). The Jews had left idol worshipping centuries before Jesus (PBUH) was born, after their released from the captivity of Babylon, and they never withdrew from that repentance, as the history books tell us. The use of the form (my son) is commonly used in the Torah, as in:

"And the LORD said unto Moses, When you go to return into Egypt,…….. And you shall say unto Pharaoh, Thus said the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn: And I say unto you, Let my son go, that he may serve me:." (Exodus: 4/21-23).

Jesus (PBUH) suffered long from his disciples’ misunderstandings of his words, and during his life, he had corrected many of their mistakes in understanding the prophecies, and even most of his sayings. They failed to understand the simplest of his sayings. If such is the case, how could they understand the prophecies? In one incident, he advised them saying:

"And he cautioned them, saying, watch out, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, and the leaven of Herod. And they began discussing with one another the fact that they had no bread. And Jesus, aware of this, said to them, Why are you discussing the fact that you have no bread? Do you not yet perceive or understand? are your heart hardened? Having eyes, do you not see? and having ears, do you not hear? And do you not remember?“(Mark: 8/15-18).

How could you not understand that, I did not mean real bread? In another, Jesus (PBUH) talked to them and they did not understand him, "Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said: this is a hard saying; who can hear it?" (John: 6/60).

They used to misunderstand his simple words, and then they were afraid to ask him to explain what they did not understand. Mark said:

"For he taught his disciples, and said to them, The Son of man is delivered to the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day. But they did not understand that saying, and were afraid to ask him." (Mark: 9/31-32).

These misunderstandings of the scripture’s indications extended even to the educated and the elite individuals of the children of Israel. Nicodemus misunderstood the words of Jesus (PBUH) when he said,

"Jesus answered him, truly; truly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus said to him, how can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?……….. Jesus answered,“Are you a teacher of Israel, and you do not understand these things?" (John: 3/3 - 10) Nicodemus did not understand the meaning of the spiritual rebirth; he thought that to be born again means that the person has to go back inside his mother's womb!

(Contd.)

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#195096 Nov 15, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you expect me to explain an utter nonsense?
Short and sweet, I can tell you that God, the Father, God, the Son and God, the Holy Spirit DO NOT EXIST. This nonsense came 4-5 hundred years after Jesus was gone.
Jesus did not say anything about the absurdity. In fact, Jesus never used the ugly term God, the Father at all.
<quoted text>
No! They did not even know what sin was.
They were deceived and tricked by Satan, made a mistake and God forgave them. Did not kill them on the spot.
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you expect me to explain an utter nonsense?
Short and sweet, I can tell you that God, the Father, God, the Son and God, the Holy Spirit DO NOT EXIST. This nonsense came 4-5 hundred years after Jesus was gone.
Jesus did not say anything about the absurdity. In fact, Jesus never used the ugly term God, the Father at all.
<quoted text>
No! They did not even know what sin was.
They were deceived and tricked by Satan, made a mistake and God forgave them. Did not kill them on the spot.
All you are doing is repeating the false teachings of your seventh century pagan prophet Muhammad.

God is not a pagan that we should accept the seventh century pagan standards of Muhammad as the standards of God.

Muhammad focused his belief in God using the pagan standard of God being an unknown entity.

Instead of focusing on the fact of God's greatness and His infinitely higher nature.“Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out! Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?”(Romans 11:33-34).

Location hidden

#195097 Nov 15, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Off-topic again.
The death and resurrection of Jesus IS a lie and the biggest hoax. You have a triune God instituted by pagan kings and pagan philosophers, Shamma.
This is a fact which you cannot deny!
LMAO!
God is not a pagan!
Muhammad was a pagan.
The Quran gives testimony to Muhammad's pagan beliefs.
After the negative experiences which depressed Mohammed, Khadijah sent him to her cousin, Waraqa, to convince him that Mohammed was called to be a prophet of Allah.
Waraqa succeeded in his task and became responsible for most of the Qur’anic verses at the beginning.
Waraqa inserted Ebionite doctrines about Jesus in the Qur’an, stating that Jesus was a prophet, and that He was not crucified, but God made someone to resemble Jesus. That one was crucified because the crowd thought he was Jesus.
This doctrine was first initiated by Simon, the magician from Samaria, who later founded a heresy which took his name, Simonianism.
In reality, Simon created the root for such doctrine, before it was developed by the Gnostics in later times. Here, I present Simon the magician’s idea about Jesus, which Hyppolytus reported in “The Refutation of all heresies”:
All of Muhammad's revelations are taken from pagan doctrines.
http://religionresearchinstitute.org/Mohammad...

JOEL THUMBS UP

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#195098 Nov 15, 2013
El Cid wrote:
<quoted text>

did Jesus ever solicit the murder of any of his critics?

No?
Jesus preached hatred and discord in general and the murder of his critics but he lacked the manpower to carry out his intentions and ultimately was himself murdered.

Well, if like Muhammad or Moses, had Jesus a large enough band of followers then it's certain he'd have picked up arms to defend his teachings and to attack his critics.

Thankfully, the violent lunatic, Jesus, simply killed an out-of-season fig tree.

LMFAO

JOEL THUMBS UP

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#195100 Nov 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
@ Rabbee

Take a close look at Rabbee's eyes - they are crazed.

If you have the yogic sensitivity, you can perceive the unbalanced/adverse forces radiating from his pic.

Take care, don't look too closely and don't interact with him often unless you have the higher force to protect you.

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

#195109 Nov 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, you would not have enjoyed that because the woman of yours, was a two timer in that field of the subtle beasts.
On the holy Second Wedding, make sure that the wedding banquet is held under theTorahPavillion, not in the field. Once you know her, buckle up the chastity belt with a digital lock, the code being known only to you.
rabbee: two timer??? she was doing triple time, unless you count the beast with two heads, in quadruple time.

i do not care where i go, since it's all happening here in Torah history again. a physical world, and universe, means it's all here in TheTorah. G-D does not quit giving TheTorah, just because a group of people crossed a river. G-D is again, continuously giving The Whole Torah in TheHappening.

and as far as the idolatry, of the chastity belt is concerned. and if she is that bad of an idolater, i have no business being married to her.

no idolater of other g-ds, can ever be trusted. if you have to strong arm, any woman to stay with you. she is not worth keeping. and that is not, loyalty to G-D. i am not about to make a law, that a woman hast to stay with me.

and since i divorced this world's grandmother, how are any of you going to get back here in TheTorah? if i marry another woman, you all don't have a grandmother to return you all.

Denver, CO

#195110 Nov 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
@ Rabbee
rabbee: well i saw G-D, WHO i am trying to be more like. but without, the woman parts so far.
bmz

Singapore

#195111 Nov 16, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>LMAO!
God is not a pagan!
Muhammad was a pagan.
The Quran gives testimony to Muhammad's pagan beliefs.
After the negative experiences which depressed Mohammed, Khadijah sent him to her cousin, Waraqa, to convince him that Mohammed was called to be a prophet of Allah.
Waraqa succeeded in his task and became responsible for most of the Qur’anic verses at the beginning.
Waraqa inserted Ebionite doctrines about Jesus in the Qur’an, stating that Jesus was a prophet, and that He was not crucified, but God made someone to resemble Jesus. That one was crucified because the crowd thought he was Jesus.
This doctrine was first initiated by Simon, the magician from Samaria, who later founded a heresy which took his name, Simonianism.
The Christian God is a God of pagans, not the God of Jesus, his disciples an his early followers.

The words Christian and Christianity appeared only after the eighth century.

Jesus' followers were known as Iessaiees and this word has been found in Philo's writing. They were known as Ebionites also. Christians did not even exist then.

Jesus' disciples and early followers were very poor. They were also mentally poor but simple men, who believed that Jesus was a prophet.

They had the purest teachings of Jesus, whom they considered a man born of a woman. They did not even call him the Son of God. They did not even believe that Jesus had pre-existed.

They were simply Jews, who accepted him as the Messiah. The Ebionites considered Paul a liar, an apostate and a deceiver.

Once the lying Gentile Church became powerful, it spread lies and pushed the Ebionites and all others away.

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#195112 Nov 16, 2013
El Cid wrote:
1 John 3:15 Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him.
Bukhari:V4B52N270 "Allah's Messenger said,'Who is ready to kill Ashraf? He has said injurious things about Allah and His Apostle.' Maslama got up saying,'Would you like me to kill him?' The Prophet proclaimed,'Yes.' Maslama said,'Then allow me to lie so that I will be able to deceive him.' Muhammad said,'You may do so.'"
I think the NT is comparable to the hadith, for the strange thing is that people have to rely upon the greek translation of the HB.
Where are the rules found in the NT?
In the quraan you might also find a verse on not killing or enslaving fellow-believers=brothers and sisters.

But what would compare to Bukhari is:
http://www.badnewsaboutchristianity.com/gh0_v...
Covering the same timeframe, when only christians could enlist in the army. And we are quite aware as to what happened to 'unbelievers'.
I just have to look at Hebrews to have it spelled out.

Comparisons do not make things clearer. People would for one always find fault.

Denver, CO

#195113 Nov 16, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the NT is comparable to the hadith, for the strange thing is that people have to rely upon the greek translation of the HB.
Where are the rules found in the NT?
In the quraan you might also find a verse on not killing or enslaving fellow-believers=brothers and sisters.
But what would compare to Bukhari is:
http://www.badnewsaboutchristianity.com/gh0_v...
Covering the same timeframe, when only christians could enlist in the army. And we are quite aware as to what happened to 'unbelievers'.
I just have to look at Hebrews to have it spelled out.
Comparisons do not make things clearer. People would for one always find fault.
rabbee: strange as it may seem, all the rules for their alleged new testament. are all found, in TheTorah. Yeshooah Adam did not preach and teach, from any new testament. not even the claim to be Benee Adam, is from any new testament. The Story of Adam, is in Only and Always TheTorah. as you all do not want to know, what story you all here in from TheG-D of Only TheTorah. and it is the only virgin birth, mentioned in TheTorah. and there is 1948 man years before Adam is returned as adam and his mate on the evening dawn of the third day of G-D afterwards. two days of G-D, is equal to 1948 years. as G-D said to me in person, me and the woman chaooah used to be Him.
Mujahid

Fort Worth, TX

#195114 Nov 16, 2013
Ha ha wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr Truth, you are making Allah a human by saying that he has a son
When Jesus comes back one day, He will tell tham that. I hate to see how long would the Christians remain misguided by a man written Bible. We have to be patient till then.

Children draw conclusions based on previous experience. Small white jewish turned christian children often conclude that the dark skinned people are dirty and dangerous. They have been raised probably under a home environment that says all Muslims are ferocious mutt of the mechanic's shops. Their shrimp sized dead brain thinks that all Muslims are terrorists. And as long as they cannot change their negative thoughts and views about Muslims, they would continue to suffer like they are doing now.

They have no remose or guilt for killing 500,000 innocent Iraqis based on poor WOMD intelligence. How long would America support a scary, insecure and freaked out Israel. Why is Israel not subjected to Nuclear inspection and WOMDs?

Tolerance is way of living with our differences. In any civilized society, not necessarily the Western society, we offer each other attention and respect even when we cannot agree.
Please don't be a prisoner of hatred and intolerance if you wish to convince me with any of your arguments.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#195115 Nov 16, 2013
TS wrote:
Dear MUQ,

01. Are you an authority to sanctify my analysis. Have I ever challenged you?, it was you and now you are backing out as you are afraid and know it very well that I will not keep quite and I will continue with my analysis and let every one know about the truth.

02. The method you are suggesting is a proof that you do not believe in the absolute analysis and that means you do not know the meaning of truth. You are telling your Prophet to be compared with another prophet. But then who will prove the Prophet hood of that prophet?

03. What you are trying is to create an endless loop and to confuse every one so that the real facts get hidden. But I will not let that happen...

And let me tell you , the in the so called great chain of Prophets, I have every reason to doubt every one of them except, Jesus Christ before his Resurrection. I do not also think the later revelations to be 100% true. Hence, please do not keep boasting the greatness of your prophet. When I am done, it will for all to see how much Great He was....

Bye and heave a great Day..
Ans.

01. I am not an authority to sanctify your analysis, I am simply asking to mention the source from where you get it.

What we are discussing is a religious topic and any one bringing any info must get it from scriptures.

02. I have every right to demand that from where you get this list of "Qualities of True prophet of God".

If they are from you "own brainwave" then they do not have any authority.

By the qualities that we find in scriptures we can compare any prophet and see if they qualify to be a true prophet of God.

And by the same list, we will prove that our prophet was a True Prophet of God.

Any disqualification that you will bring against, will also be against so many "Well known prophets of past".

This is my methodology and this is most fair to every one. You cannot disqualify some one and then ignore the same behavior in some one else.

03. So according to you "Only one" prophet came into the world and that was Jesus Christ and that too "before his so called Resurrection"!!

This is a "very strange conclusion"!!

And what is the "source of your conviction"?

Your own brainwave or same "Universal Understanding of God"!!

And what about those prophets whom Jesus Christ "before his resurrection" recognized as Prophets?

Boy, you seem to be "most unreasonable" judge that I have even seen!!
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#195116 Nov 16, 2013
True Guidance and Light series (5)

The Promised Prophet of the Bible By: Munqidh Bin Mahmoud Assaqqar, PhD. Part-13

CH-4. THE DISCIPLES’ LACK OF UNDERSTANDING OF THE PROPHECIES ABOUT THE MESSIAH (Contd)

Nicodemus was the teacher of the children of Israel. If this was the way that he understood; how about Matthew, the tax collector, and John and Peter the fishermen? They were just two illiterate disciples according to the Book of Acts. "Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated, common men, they astonished.”(Acts: 4/13).

The disciples of Jesus (PBUH) were the illiterates of the world as Paul reported, he said "But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong." (Corinthians (1): 1/27).

The relationship between Jesus’(PBUH) words and deeds– during his life on earth- and the scriptures’ prophecies were unclear to the disciples. Then after his ascent, they thought that the prophecies were for him (PBUH).

"And Jesus found a young donkey and sat on it, just as it is written, Fear not, daughter of Zion; behold, your King is coming, sitting on a donkey’s colt. His disciples did not understand these things at first, but when Jesus was glorified, and then they remembered that these things had been written about him, and had been done him." (John: 12/14-16).

The children of Israel had been longing for the savior. They assumed that he was Jesus (PBUH), "when they heard these words, some of the people said,“This really is the prophet”. Others said,“This is the Christ”.

But some said,“is the Christ to come from Galilee? Has not the scripture said, that the Christ comes from the offspring of David, and comes from Bethlehem, the village where David was?" (John: 7/38-41).

The crowds also, in spite of their different cultures, were trying to find salvation through the person of Jesus (PBUH).

"But you, oh Bethlehem Ephrata, who are too little to be among the clans of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel; whose origin is from of old, from ancient days. Therefore, he shall give them up until the time when she who is in labor has given birth; then the rest of his brothers shall return to the people of Israel. And he shall stand and shepherd his flock in the strength of the LORD, in the majesty of the name of the LORD his God. and they shall dwell secure, for now he shall be great to the ends of the earth.

And he shall be their peace. when the Assyrian comes into our land and treads in our palaces, then we will raise against him seven shepherds and eight princes of men. They shall shepherd the land of Assyria with the sword, and the land of Nimrod at its entrances; and he shall deliver us from the Assyrian when he comes into our land and treads within our borders.“(Micah: 5/2-6).

In fact, Jesus (PBUH) did not fulfill this prophecy. The Jews were looking for the one who would be their king, save them from the Assyrians, and bestow the peace among them. Dr. Ahmad Shalaby quoted Parry’s words regarding Jesus (PBUH):-

“Because of his eloquence he was able to attract many of his followers (the Jews who awaited the messiah), and they gave him this title.” They attribute to him what he did not say, as we will see later.

(Contd.)

Location hidden

#195117 Nov 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
The Christian God is a God of pagans, not the God of Jesus, his disciples an his early followers.
Jesus' followers were known as Iessaiees and this word has been found in Philo's writing. They were known as Ebionites also. Christians did not even exist then.
Jesus' disciples and early followers were very poor. They were also mentally poor but simple men, who believed that Jesus was a prophet.
They had the purest teachings of Jesus, whom they considered a man born of a woman. They did not even call him the Son of God. They did not even believe that Jesus had pre-existed.
They were simply Jews, who accepted him as the Messiah. The Ebionites considered Paul a liar, an apostate and a deceiver.
Once the lying Gentile Church became powerful, it spread lies and pushed the Ebionites and all others away.
You are ignorant!
The Christian Church was founded by Jesus Christ Himself and He alone commissioned the 12 disciple to spread the Gospels Jesus taught them.

The Ebonites and other heretic groups started their own religions without the approval of the 12 disciples.

The word Ebionites, or rather, more correctly, Ebionæans (Ebionaioi), is a transliteration of an Aramean word meaning "poor men". It first occurs in Irenaeus, Adv. Haer., I, xxvi, 2, but without designation of meaning. Origen (Against Celsus II.1; De Princ., IV, i, 22) and Eusebius (Church History III.27) refer the name of these sectaries either to the poverty of their understanding, or to the poverty of the Law to which they clung, or to the poor opinions they held concerning Christ. This, however, is obviously not the historic origin of the name. Other writers, such as Tertullian (De Praescr., xxxiii; De Carne Chr., xiv, 18), Hippolytus (cfr. Pseudo-Tert., Adv. Haer., III, as reflecting Hippolytus's lost "Syntagma"), and Epiphanius (Haeres., xxx) derive the name of the sect from a certain Ebion, its supposed founder. Epiphanius even mentions the place of his birth, a hamlet called Cochabe in the district of Bashan, and relates that he travelled through Asia and even came to Rome. Of modern scholars Hilgenfeld has maintained the historical existence of this Ebion, mainly on the ground of some passages ascribed to Ebion by St. Jerome (Comm. in Gal., iii, 14) and by the author of a compilation of patristic texts against the Monothelites. But these passages are not likely to be genuine, and Ebion, otherwise unknown to history, is probably only an invention to account for the name Ebionites. The name may have been self-imposed by those who gladly claimed the beatitude of being poor in spirit, or who claimed to live after the pattern of the first Christians in Jerusalem, who laid their goods at the feet of the Apostles. Perhaps, however, it was first imposed by others and is to be connected with the notorious poverty of the Christians in Palestine (cf. Galatians 2:10). Recent scholars have plausibly maintained that the term did not originally designate any heretical sect, but merely the orthodox Jewish Christians of Palestine who continued to observe the Mosaic Law. These, ceasing to be in touch with the bulk of the Christian world, would gradually have drifted away from the standard of orthodoxy and become formal heretics. A stage in this development is seen in St. Justin's "Dialogue with Trypho the Jew", chapter xlvii (about A.D. 140), where he speaks of two sects of Jewish Christians estranged from the Church: those who observe the Mosaic Law for themselves, but do not require observance thereof from others; and those who hold it of universal obligation. The latter are considered heretical by all; but with the former St. Justin would hold communion, though not all Christians would show them the same indulgence. St. Justin, however, does not use the term Ebionites, and when this term first occurs (about A.D. 175) it designates a distinctly heretical sect.

Location hidden

#195118 Nov 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
You are ignorant!
The Christian Church was founded by Jesus Himself.
Jesus appointed his 12 disciples to spread the Gospels to all the nations of the earth.

The Ebionites were not commissioned by Jesus to spread the Gospels of Jesus Christ.

The word Ebionites, or rather, more correctly, Ebionæans (Ebionaioi), is a transliteration of an Aramean word meaning "poor men". It first occurs in Irenaeus, Adv. Haer., I, xxvi, 2, but without designation of meaning. Origen (Against Celsus II.1; De Princ., IV, i, 22) and Eusebius (Church History III.27) refer the name of these sectaries either to the poverty of their understanding, or to the poverty of the Law to which they clung, or to the poor opinions they held concerning Christ. This, however, is obviously not the historic origin of the name. Other writers, such as Tertullian (De Praescr., xxxiii; De Carne Chr., xiv, 18), Hippolytus (cfr. Pseudo-Tert., Adv. Haer., III, as reflecting Hippolytus's lost "Syntagma"), and Epiphanius (Haeres., xxx) derive the name of the sect from a certain Ebion, its supposed founder. Epiphanius even mentions the place of his birth, a hamlet called Cochabe in the district of Bashan, and relates that he travelled through Asia and even came to Rome. Of modern scholars Hilgenfeld has maintained the historical existence of this Ebion, mainly on the ground of some passages ascribed to Ebion by St. Jerome (Comm. in Gal., iii, 14) and by the author of a compilation of patristic texts against the Monothelites. But these passages are not likely to be genuine, and Ebion, otherwise unknown to history, is probably only an invention to account for the name Ebionites. The name may have been self-imposed by those who gladly claimed the beatitude of being poor in spirit, or who claimed to live after the pattern of the first Christians in Jerusalem, who laid their goods at the feet of the Apostles. Perhaps, however, it was first imposed by others and is to be connected with the notorious poverty of the Christians in Palestine (cf. Galatians 2:10). Recent scholars have plausibly maintained that the term did not originally designate any heretical sect, but merely the orthodox Jewish Christians of Palestine who continued to observe the Mosaic Law. These, ceasing to be in touch with the bulk of the Christian world, would gradually have drifted away from the standard of orthodoxy and become formal heretics. A stage in this development is seen in St. Justin's "Dialogue with Trypho the Jew", chapter xlvii (about A.D. 140), where he speaks of two sects of Jewish Christians estranged from the Church: those who observe the Mosaic Law for themselves, but do not require observance thereof from others; and those who hold it of universal obligation. The latter are considered heretical by all; but with the former St. Justin would hold communion, though not all Christians would show them the same indulgence. St. Justin, however, does not use the term Ebionites, and when this term first occurs (about A.D. 175) it designates a distinctly heretical sect.

Location hidden

#195119 Nov 16, 2013
Continued:
Islam was formed by these heretic religions.

The doctrines of this sect are said by Irenaeus to be like those of Cerinthus and Carpocrates. They denied the Divinity and the virginal birth of Christ; they clung to the observance of the Jewish Law; they regarded St. Paul as an apostate, and used only a Gospel according to St. Matthew (Adv. Haer., I, xxvi, 2; III, xxi, 2; IV, xxxiii, 4; V, i, 3). Their doctrines are similarly described by Hippolytus (Philos., VIII, xxii, X, xviii) and Tertullian (De carne Chr., xiv, 18), but their observance of the Law seems no longer so prominent a feature of their system as in the account given by Irenaeus. Origen is the first (Against Celsus V.61) to mark a distinction between two classes of Ebionites, a distinction which Eusebius also gives (Church History III.27). Some Ebionites accept, but others reject, the virginal birth of Christ, though all reject His pre-existence and His Divinity. Those who accepted the virginal birth seem to have had more exalted views concerning Christ and, besides observing the Sabbath, to have kept the Sunday as a memorial of His Resurrection. The milder sort of Ebionites were probably fewer and less important than their stricter brethren, because the denial of the virgin birth was commonly attributed to all.(Origen, Hom. in Luc., xvii) St. Epiphanius calls the more heretical section Ebionites, and the more Catholic-minded, Nazarenes. But we do not know whence St. Epiphanius obtained his information or or how far it is reliable. It is very hazardous, therefore, to maintain, as is sometimes done, that the distinction between Nazarenes and Ebionites goes back to the earliest days of Christianity.

Besides these merely Judaistic Ebionites, there existed a later Gnostic development of the same heresy. These Ebionite Gnostics differed widely from the main schools of Gnosticism, in that they absolutely rejected any distinction between Jehovah the Demiurge, and the Supreme Good God. Those who regard this distinction as essential to Gnosticism would even object to classing Ebionites as Gnostics. But on the other hand the general character of their teaching is unmistakably Gnostic. This can be gathered from the Pseudo-Clementines and may be summed up as follows: Matter is eternal, and an emanation of the Deity; nay it constitutes, as it were, God's body. Creation, therefore, is but the transformation of pre-existing material. God thus "creates" the universe by the instrumentality of His wisdom which is described as a "demiurgic hand" (cheir demiourgousa) producing the world. But this Logos, or Sophia, does not constitute a different person, as in Christian theology. Sophia produces the world by a successive evolution of syzygies, the female in each case preceding the male but being finally overcome by him. This universe is, moreover, divided into two realms, that of good and that of evil. The Son of God rules over the realm of the good, and to him is given the world to come, but the Prince of Evil is the prince of this world (cf. John 14:30; Ephesians 1:21; 6:12). This Son of God is the Christ, a middle-being between God and creation, not a creature, yet not equal to, nor even to be compared with, the Father (autogenneto ou sygkrinetai — "Hom.", xvi, 16). Adam was the bearer of the first revelation, Moses of the second, Christ of the third and perfect one. The union of Christ with Jesus is involved in obscurity. Man is saved by knowledge (gnosis), by believing in God the Teacher, and by being baptized unto remission of sins. Thus he receives knowledge and strength to observe all the precepts of the law. Christ shall come again to triumph over Antichrist as light dispels darkness. The system is Pantheism, Persian Dualism, Judaism, and Christianity fused together, and here and there reminds one of Mandaistic literature. The "Recognitions", as given us in Rufinus's translation (revision?), come nearer to Catholic teaching than do the "Homilies".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Archaeology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Airport runway battle heats up in Macon (Mar '09) Aug 15 Curious 31
News Ruby Rose reveals John Wick 2 co-star Keanu Ree... Aug 14 daredevil82 2
News Archaeologists in Serbia Unearth Ancient Spells... Aug 14 srbosjek 2
News Tonga's Nukuleka, the birth place of Polynesia (Jan '08) Aug 11 Faa Samoa 1,978
News Preservation unit under probe - Hawaii News (Aug '09) Jul '16 Georgina 45
Cities’ Identity Through Architecture and Arts ... Jul '16 moabdallah 1
News On This Day: King Tut's Tomb Unsealed (Jan '13) Jul '16 Antonia 4
More from around the web