Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 251082 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

Alex WM

London, UK

#193971 Oct 30, 2013
No-Doubt wrote:
<quoted text>
Yusef estas revealing your lies
http://www.dawahusa.com/audio/yusufestes/Yusu... Estes - How I came to Islam The five pillars of Islam.mp3
I know him ..
Alex WM

London, UK

#193972 Oct 30, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>Murder's committed by Muslims.
Date Country City/State Killed Injured Description
10/17/2013 Iraq Baghdad 8 15 Islamists set off a bomb in a Christian neighborhood, killing at least eight residents.
10/10/2013 Syria Jaramana 11 23 Eleven people are killed when Sunni terrorists fire mortars into a Christian neighborhood.
10/5/2013 Centrafrique Bangassou 9 0 Nine Christians protesting violence by Muslim 'rebels' are killed when their demonstration is attacked.
9/28/2013 Nigeria Zangang 15 12 Muslim militia attack a Christian village, hacking to death fifteen residents and burning down their homes.
9/26/2013 Nigeria Dorawa 3 0 A Pastor and his son are among three people machine-gunned by Religion of Peace enthusiasts.
9/25/2013 Libya Derna 2 0 Two Christians are invited to embrace Islam, then tied up and shot when they refuse.
9/25/2013 Kenya Wajir 1 3 al-Shabaab claims credit for a grenade attack near a Catholic church.
9/22/2013 Pakistan Peshawar 85 110 Two Jundullah suicide bombers obliterate over eighty-five worshippers at a church service, including many women and children.
9/14/2013 Pakistan Karachi 1 0 A Christian's throat is slit on the street after being branded an 'infidel' and blasphemer.
9/13/2013 Tanzania Zanzibar 0 1 Muslims throw acid on a priest, badly burning him.
9/12/2013 Egypt Sahel Selim 2 0 Two Copts are shot to death for refusing to pay Jizya to Muslims.
9/8/2013 Syria Maaloula 3 6 Three Christians are murdered in their home, and six others taken hostage by Islamists.
9/7/2013 Syria Maaloula 3 0 At least three Christians are shot to death after declining an offer to embrace Islam.
9/4/2013 Syria Maaloula 8 27 At least eight defenders are killed when Islamists storm a Christian village and shell a church.
9/4/2013 Syria Maalula 1 0 Islamists slit the throat of a Christian for refusing to deny his faith, then taunt his fiancee.
9/3/2013 Nigeria Kunte-Kuru 6 0 A brutal assault by Muslim militia on the home of a Christian family leaves six members dead, including a 7-year-old child.
9/3/2013 Nigeria Gura Dabwam 3 1 Muslims gun down a devout Christian villager and his two teenage sons.
9/1/2013 Nigeria Adu 9 3 Nine Christian villagers, including two children, are machine-gunned in their own homes by Muslim terrorists.
9/1/2013 Somalia Beledweyne 1 1 A Christian woman is murdered in front of her child, in a targeted attack by Islamic radicals.
I like what HughBe says.
Sin is a sin irrespective of who commits it.
If a "Muslim" murders innocent Christians then the "Muslim" is a sinner.
I condemn any such act.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#193975 Oct 30, 2013
Alex WM wrote:
<quoted text>
Our secret is out!
Bendover!
Maybe you shouldn't say "our" and should instead say "your". After all, you sure do seem to have an obsession with penis, sperm and phallic symbols. That much can be clearly said and is clearly self evident by your posts themselves.
Alex WM

London, UK

#193976 Oct 30, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
If Islam is correct, then Christianity cannot be correct, and Jesus never sacrificed on the cross. Now while one does not necessarily need to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian, one thing that is common to all Christians and is the most important thing of Christianity is that one believes in Jesus' crucifixion and sacrifice. Hugh Be, if you do not at least believe in that one fundamental claim, then there is no sense in you ever referring to yourself as a Christian or suggesting that you even have anything remotely to do with Christianity at all, and you might as well be a Muslim.
And when I have asked you why you don't just convert to Islam, if you are already not a Muslim and pretending to be otherwise, you would not answer. That's no surprise to me at all, especially after you would not answer what you meant by Jesus of the scriptures when I asked you if you meant the Gospels.
So what is wrong with Islam in your mind that prevents you from officially converting to it and stating such? This is assuming that you have not been a Muslim this whole time while masquerading as something else. So I guess you were being a little tricky when i asked you if you would consider converting to Islam and you said you wouldn't convert to Islam, Judaism or Hinduism. I'm supposing that when you said you wouldn't convert to Islam and become a Muslim, it's because you can't convert to something you already are. Ahhh, very tricky.
So could the dog please take the cat costume off and be a little more forthcoming? What's the problem in telling everyone that you are a Muslim? Thank you.
Seeker, stop and think.
Jesus did not say that he was dying on a cross for you.
You can be quite logical when it comes to some issues but you seem to have a blind spot when it comes to Jesus.
We need to look at the source...who gave the name "Christianity"?
Who were/was awaiting a messiah? JEWS and NOBODY else
Who came forward as a messenger or even messiah? Possibly Jesus.
Has this got anything to do with the Gentiles? NO.
G-d was there BEFORE NT.
G-d was is in the Tanakh (even OT) without ever referring to his impending "visit" or sacrifice. If there are UNEQUIVOCAL claims, please present them instead of producing vague stories that relate to PAST events and try to justify them as future.
Where in the Tanakh G-d talks about sacrificing His son?

On the other hand if we all agree about the G-d of Genesis, then Jews, Christians and Muslims are UNITED.

Let's find reasons for UNITY and the BEST reason is God Himself and NOT any other vague forms of deity or sons of G-d. There is no need to convert as we will all be "pure" believers.

Therefore, I agree with HughBe as fellow worshipper of God from Genesis...and that God did NOT favour just one race or tribe.
News

New York, NY

#193977 Oct 30, 2013
Alex WM wrote:
<quoted text>
I like what HughBe says.
I condemn any such act.
Muhammad himself killed innocnet people and Quran sanctions it is okay for Muslims to kill a varity of numbers of people. Perhaps it is sin by your definition, but certainly not by the definition of allah/mohammad.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#193978 Oct 30, 2013
Alex WM wrote:
<quoted text>
I like what HughBe says.
I condemn any such act.
Well good. I wish more Muslims were willing to do that. But if we look around the world, that does not seem to be the case.

And Christians are killed by Muslims not just for political reasons, but often strictly because they are a Christian. It's happening all over Muslim countries almost every single day. Just look at the priest who was beheaded in Africa for not converting to Islam. Anybody can say anything that they want, but actions speak louder than words. And nobody pays Muslims to kill in the name of Allah and Islam and scream Allahu Akbar before they do that or quote Quran verses after they do that like the two cleaver guys in the UK did. And nobody pays Muslim terrorists organizations to consistently give their organizations names that clearly are supposed to relate to Islam.

So if someone observes this clear pattern and steps back and does the math, what is anybody supposed to think?
Alex WM

London, UK

#193979 Oct 30, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea where you can see Yeshua in Isaiah 9:5
"For a child has been born to us, a son given to us, and the authority is upon his shoulder, and the wondrous adviser, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, called his name, "the prince of peace."
Looking at the time of the verbs and when it was written this piece, the fact that Isa 7:14 speaks of a young woman ready to bear a son, etc... All this disqualifies the Nazarene to be the prince of peace.
I can't disagree with you there, Stefano.
If I am not mistaken, I gave the same/similar verses quite a while ago.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#193980 Oct 30, 2013
Hugh Be, when I asked you if you would consider converting to Islam, and you said NO, you would not convert to Islam, Judaism, or Hinduism, maybe I was asking you the wrong question. Maybe I should have asked you whether you would consider converting to Christianity. That might have been the more correct question to ask.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#193981 Oct 30, 2013
Alex WM wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't disagree with you there, Stefano.
If I am not mistaken, I gave the same/similar verses quite a while ago.
Perhaps you can read my three responses to him. Particularly the one where I quoted from here.

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt1009.htm

That is very different than what Chabad says and I explained exactly why. In the link above, it clearly is telling us the name of the person that the beginning of 9:5 is mentioning, and is not suggesting a name that God is calling this person. It does not try to split things up in a clever way like Chabad does, where first it mentions God, and then tries to suggest that Prince of Peace is a name that God is calling the person mentioned in the beginning of 9:5.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#193982 Oct 30, 2013
News wrote:
<quoted text>
Muhammad himself killed innocnet people and Quran sanctions it is okay for Muslims to kill a varity of numbers of people. Perhaps it is sin by your definition, but certainly not by the definition of allah/mohammad.
Well, just for accuracies sake, Muslims did not kill Christians and Jews as long as they surrendered. They were to be used as a revenue source to make up for the lost trade that they suffered from by banning pagans from doing pilgrimage to the Kaaba.

http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php...

"(O you who believe! Verily, the Mushrikin are impure. So let them not come near Al-Masjid Al-Haram after this year) "Unless it was a servant or one of the people of Dhimmah.'' Imam Abu `Amr Al-Awza'i said, "Umar bin `Abdul-`Aziz wrote (to his governors) to prevent Jews and Christians from entering the Masjids of Muslims, and he followed his order with Allah's statement,

(Verily, the Mushrikin are impure.)`Ata' said, "All of the Sacred Area &#64831;the Haram&#64830; is considered a Masjid, for Allah said,

(So let them not come near Al-Masjid Al-Haram (at Makkah) after this year.)'' This Ayah indicates that idolators are impure and that the believers are pure. In the Sahih is the following,

(The believer does not become impure.) Allah said,

(and if you fear poverty, Allah will enrich you, out of His bounty.) Muhammad bin Ishaq commented, "The people said,`Our markets will be closed, our commerce disrupted, and what we earned will vanish.' So Allah revealed this verse,

(and if you fear poverty, Allah will enrich you, out of His bounty), from other resources,

(if He wills), until,

(...and feel themselves subdued.) This Ayah means,`this will be your compensation for the closed markets that you feared would result.' Therefore, Allah compensated them for the losses they incurred because they severed ties with idolators, by the Jizyah they earned from the People of the Book.'' Similar statements were reported from Ibn `Abbas, Mujahid,`Ikrimah, Sa`id bin Jubayr, Qatadah and Ad-Dahhak and others."

But the pagans? Yes, it was convert or die. No compulsion in religion seemed to change as Muhammad's circumstances changed. He said no compulsion in religion before he had a large army, but after he had an army, that verse was abrogated by verses in sura 9.

This is why the Quran was revealed over 23 years rather than months. Muhammad had to keep adding new suras to the Quran to justify what he wanted to do as his circumstances changed, and he could not predict what his circumstances would be from the very beginning.

This is why Muhammad initially sanctions Jerusalem as the proper prayer direction, in order to court the Jews. But after it became apparent that they weren't going to accept him, THEN the prayer direction changed to Mecca. One would think that this would be one of the first things that Allah would straighten out and it would be mentioned very early on, but it was not. And that's quite a big and important change.
Alex WM

London, UK

#193984 Oct 30, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Well good. I wish more Muslims were willing to do that. But if we look around the world, that does not seem to be the case.
And Christians are killed by Muslims not just for political reasons, but often strictly because they are a Christian. It's happening all over Muslim countries almost every single day. Just look at the priest who was beheaded in Africa for not converting to Islam. Anybody can say anything that they want, but actions speak louder than words. And nobody pays Muslims to kill in the name of Allah and Islam and scream Allahu Akbar before they do that or quote Quran verses after they do that like the two cleaver guys in the UK did. And nobody pays Muslim terrorists organizations to consistently give their organizations names that clearly are supposed to relate to Islam.
So if someone observes this clear pattern and steps back and does the math, what is anybody supposed to think?
Nobody expects any Muslim to kill the innocent in the name of Allah or shout Allahu akbar when murdering innocent people.
Such people are not believers.
Allahu Akbar does NOT mean in the name of Allah.
There is a very good reason...I am sure we all need to address cause and effect.
Until a well known "Christian" country like America stops destroying Muslim nations for whatever reason.
I am not even going to point finger at America or ask why it behaves in such an obsessive paranoid fashion throughout the world including spying on German Chancellors.
The Muslim world is under siege under many excuses.
Unfortunately, some Muslims see it as an attack on them and Islam.
As a result some go looking for innocent helpless "Christians" who happen to be passing to extract revenge.
I do NOT agree with their behaviour and I believe that they are behaving worse than America.
Blaming the "effect" will never cure the "cause".
We need Americans to pull out of the Middle East and leave them to get on with it.
Then they wont even bother to think about America.
Who likes simple solutions when multi nationals are hell bent on controlling the oil belonging to the people of Middle East who happen to be Muslims.
Did you know that a Christian murderer killed and bombed people in London recently?...then you will say that is because muslims kill christians...and i will say america the christian nation started it...and we can keep blaming each other!
The answer is simple...America gets out of the middle east and stop interfering with the word.
Alex WM

London, UK

#193985 Oct 30, 2013
News wrote:
<quoted text>
You need help.
Alex WM

London, UK

#193986 Oct 30, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you shouldn't say "our" and should instead say "your". After all, you sure do seem to have an obsession with penis, sperm and phallic symbols. That much can be clearly said and is clearly self evident by your posts themselves.
Pointing out pagan obsessive corruption that has peppered your books with sex and phallus does not make me the phallus worshipper, seeker.
You really ought to remove those rose tinted glasses when studying the books written by some unknown shady characters.
Don't give them too much credit because these men are not Godly!

JOEL THUMBS UP

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#193987 Oct 30, 2013
Muhammad hugged, kissed and shed tears over the stone phallus in the Kaaba.

JOEL THUMBS UP

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#193988 Oct 30, 2013
Alex the gay crackpot needs a cute 12 year old boy to massage his cracks and outgrowths. LOL.

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#193989 Oct 30, 2013
p 9136

The next pope will be black.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ellievhall/boy-wander...

The made it into a Luke redaction as if the pope was in control!
The boy went to sit on the chair, then got up and leghugged the pope to check the cloth of the dress thoroughly while the pope was speeching.

Apropos: pope Francis says atheists are redeemed too.

Welcome to humanity!

Atheist: all that were not of the catholic (=latin for universal) churchfather aproved church.
In the Original understanding of the term.

Location hidden

#193990 Oct 30, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, just for accuracies sake, Muslims did not kill Christians and Jews as long as they surrendered. They were to be used as a revenue source to make up for the lost trade that they suffered from by banning pagans from doing pilgrimage to the Kaaba.
http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php...
"(O you who believe! Verily, the Mushrikin are impure. So let them not come near Al-Masjid Al-Haram after this year) "Unless it was a servant or one of the people of Dhimmah.'' Imam Abu `Amr Al-Awza'i said, "Umar bin `Abdul-`Aziz wrote (to his governors) to prevent Jews and Christians from entering the Masjids of Muslims, and he followed his order with Allah's statement,
(Verily, the Mushrikin are impure.)`Ata' said, "All of the Sacred Area &#64831;the Haram&#64830; is considered a Masjid, for Allah said,
(So let them not come near Al-Masjid Al-Haram (at Makkah) after this year.)'' This Ayah indicates that idolators are impure and that the believers are pure. In the Sahih is the following,
(The believer does not become impure.) Allah said,
(and if you fear poverty, Allah will enrich you, out of His bounty.) Muhammad bin Ishaq commented, "The people said,`Our markets will be closed, our commerce disrupted, and what we earned will vanish.' So Allah revealed this verse,
(and if you fear poverty, Allah will enrich you, out of His bounty), from other resources,
(if He wills), until,
(...and feel themselves subdued.) This Ayah means,`this will be your compensation for the closed markets that you feared would result.' Therefore, Allah compensated them for the losses they incurred because they severed ties with idolators, by the Jizyah they earned from the People of the Book.'' Similar statements were reported from Ibn `Abbas, Mujahid,`Ikrimah, Sa`id bin Jubayr, Qatadah and Ad-Dahhak and others."
But the pagans? Yes, it was convert or die. No compulsion in religion seemed to change as Muhammad's circumstances changed. He said no compulsion in religion before he had a large army, but after he had an army, that verse was abrogated by verses in sura 9.
This is why the Quran was revealed over 23 years rather than months. Muhammad had to keep adding new suras to the Quran to justify what he wanted to do as his circumstances changed, and he could not predict what his circumstances would be from the very beginning.
This is why Muhammad initially sanctions Jerusalem as the proper prayer direction, in order to court the Jews. But after it became apparent that they weren't going to accept him, THEN the prayer direction changed to Mecca. One would think that this would be one of the first things that Allah would straighten out and it would be mentioned very early on, but it was not. And that's quite a big and important change.
??musrikin=polytheist...what's that got to do with the jews?
Corruption of the text i presume.

Look for the fiqh.
News

New York, NY

#193991 Oct 30, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
Alex the gay crackpot needs a cute 12 year old boy to massage his cracks and outgrowths. LOL.
You are absolutely right Joel. Alex WM is the village idiot and a hater.

Location hidden

#193992 Oct 30, 2013
News wrote:
<quoted text>
You are absolutely right Joel. Alex WM is the village idiot and a hater.
pot calling the kettle black and all that.

takes one to know one.

etc.etc.

Location hidden

#193993 Oct 30, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you can read my three responses to him. Particularly the one where I quoted from here.
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt1009.htm
That is very different than what Chabad says and I explained exactly why. In the link above, it clearly is telling us the name of the person that the beginning of 9:5 is mentioning, and is not suggesting a name that God is calling this person. It does not try to split things up in a clever way like Chabad does, where first it mentions God, and then tries to suggest that Prince of Peace is a name that God is calling the person mentioned in the beginning of 9:5.
Chabad sticks a bit more to the Original tekst (in more then one way). Mechon mamre provides easier reading and in the peculiar way or using quotes points out the painfull point where christians will read Jesus.
If one reads isaiah 8,9 and 10 (Jesse branching of and surviving the destruction, methaphores allavro) it is Obvious that most of the threepart surrounding nation was destroyed except for Judah (zion-jerushalem). the ideas fit judahaic nation upifting and attribution to Ha-shem of the destruction of the others like Israel and Libanon and there being taken away, as well as Judah thus being favoured.

Here i suggest reading Finkelstein, on the archeology of the old kingdom.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Archaeology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Jul '08) May 22 Joel 13,168
News Giant sphere sparks debate Apr '16 Phyllis Schlafly ... 1
News Did Islam reach France 1,300 years ago? DNA and... Apr '16 Muslim Bounty Hunter 19
News Send in the archaeologists to help restore Palm... Mar '16 Ostreology 1
Stunning 2200-Year-Old Mosaics Discovered in An... Mar '16 west38 1
Identity Through Architecture & Arts (ITAA) Mar '16 moabdallah 1
News The 'first four' and their fight from slavery t... Mar '16 White and Right 1
More from around the web