Who Is Allah?

There are 220030 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#189168 Sep 15, 2013
bmz wrote:
@ Seeker
I want your honest opinion on the following email which I sent to Jihad Watch and copied/pasted it on another thread by Joe.
My question: Why do the polemicists quote only 2:191-193 and do not quote the opening line 2:190 of that section?
Here is the email sent to Jihad Watch:
Title: Jihad Watch's Silly, Idiotic & Absurd Jihad Against Islam
I have seen many Christian polemic ignorant fools, quoting 2:193 and even the ignorant fool Robert Spencer does not tell them that the section containing the verses begins with 2:190 and continues.
I noticed that another polemic ignorant fool Geert Wilders also did the same, when he addressed the Madame Speaker of the Dutch Parliament starting with 2:191 and this confirms that either both ignorant fools do not understand and know how to read Qur'aan.
Here is how the section is read:
" "2:190 Fight, in the way of Allah, against those who wage war upon you, but do not commit aggression by attacking first. Allah does not like aggressors, 2:191 and slay them wherever you come upon them, drive them away from wherever they drove you away. Oppression is worse than slaughter. But do not fight in the vicinity of the Sacred House of Worship unless they attack you there first, but if they fight against you, you may slay them. This shall be the just retribution, such disbelievers deserve. 2:192 But if they desist, then Allah is much-forgiving and the Most Merciful.
2:193 Fight until there is no more oppression, and worship of Allah is established. If the oppressors desist, then there shall be no more hostility, except against oppressors, if any.
2:194 The Sacred months should be kept sacred but you are allowed to retaliate during the sacred months, only if you are attacked. If anyone commits aggression against you, then retaliate likewise and remain conscious of Allah. Know that Allah is with those who are conscious of Him."
Please explain the ignorance of most ignorant Christian polemic fools.
Thanks
Best Regards
BMZ"
I also added another example to explain 2:190-2:193 and this is the easiest way to understand.
So, you can only wage war upon one, if one wages war upon you. And you can see what wrong the US did when it waged war upon Iraq, when Iraq had not waged any war upon the US.
Your honest opinion would be highly appreciated.
There is nothing to explain!
Muhammad did those crimes and teaches Muslims to do the same in those teachings in the Quran.

Muslims today are committing those same crimes as Muhammad did.

You are insane!
You deny that these crimes of murder committed by Muslims are not happening, but they are happening.
Muslims commit Jihad every day on non-Muslims.

Location hidden

#189169 Sep 15, 2013
MUQ wrote:
If you answer Shamma it would be like you have put your hand in Killer Bee's nest!!
You are bound to receive torrent of posts, page after page, with no end in sight.
Even without getting any response, I get hundreds of posts from that source, what would be the case , if I start answering them?
I will not have time to do anything else!!
Muhammad did those crimes and teaches Muslims to do the same in those teachings in the Quran.

You are insane!
You deny that these crimes of murder committed by Muslims are not happening, but they are happening.
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Singapore

#189172 Sep 15, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>
You are insane!
Please stay out of this. You are not welcome. I am looking forward to hear from Seeker.

My post has nothing to do with the absurdity of your Bible and the crooked, stupid and weird theology of your religion.

Location hidden

#189173 Sep 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Please stay out of this. You are not welcome. I am looking forward to hear from Seeker.
My post has nothing to do with the absurdity of your Bible and the crooked, stupid and weird theology of your religion.
You need to face reality!
The Quran promotes insanity in the mind of Muslims.
Your view of the success is unreal.
Muhammad built his empire by lying, raping, robbing, and murder.
God does not honor such evil deeds as appropriate conduct for a prophet to do.
Moses killed in defending an innocent women from being beaten to death by an Egyptian solder.

Muhammad raped, robbed, and murder to spread his own religion.
Muhammad's verses in the Quran to fight for the cause of Allah are self serving to spread his own religion.
truth

Perth, Australia

#189174 Sep 16, 2013
allah is mean
go away =hawai
as
omaha damascha

wicket spell

do you liked be canceler
not thanks
do you liked diploma
not thanks

Wo you know meaning of cancer jul= 7 which color orange?

Why you sick?
astro estro istro ostro ustro
o=hole as mirror on black sea ostrogoth
look map
truth

Perth, Australia

#189175 Sep 16, 2013
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#189176 Sep 16, 2013
I have very strong reason that our Shamma the Great should not get some sort of stroke.

How much hate and hatred can a human heart store?

Is there any limit to it?

Will some one advise me on this?
truth

Perth, Australia

#189177 Sep 16, 2013
people who is not wise
how you call yourself
no nuke
you liked dot to dot
amen=nema=0
my mind is not yours
before end come someone will used

why should be

Location hidden

#189178 Sep 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
I have very strong reason that our Shamma the Great should not get some sort of stroke.
This is not hatred MUQ.
The hatred is spread by Muslims.
Killing people for their religious beliefs is hating people.
And that is what I am doing.
I am showing Muslims that the verses in the Quran that advocate the killing and persecuting of non-Muslims for their non-belief in Muhammad is hatred.

This is Muslim hatred towards non-Muslims MUQ of which you refuse to acknowledge.
These are real murders committed by Muslims.

Islamic religious Terror Attacks on Christians
(Since 9/11)

This is a list of targeted acts of terrorism on Christian civilians and church workers by religious Muslims since September 11th, 2001. These attacks have nothing to do with war, combat or insurgency. The victims are innocent Christians who were specifically targeted and abused solely on account of their faith by those who claim their own religion as a motive.

(Last updated on Tuesday, September 10, 2013)

Date Country City/State Killed Injured Description

9/8/2013 Syria Maaloula 3 6 Three Christians are murdered in their home, and six others taken hostage by Islamists.

9/7/2013 Syria Maaloula 3 0 At least three Christians are shot to death after declining an offer to embrace Islam.

9/4/2013 Syria Maaloula 8 27 At least eight defenders are killed when Islamists storm a Christian village and shell a church.

9/1/2013 Nigeria Adu 9 3 Nine Christian villagers, including two children, are machine-gunned in their own homes by Muslim terrorists.

9/1/2013 Somalia Beledweyne 1 1 A Christian woman is murdered in front of her child, in a targeted attack by Islamic radicals.

8/29/2013 Nigeria Jos 5 0 Five Christians are ordered off a bus and summarily executed by Religion of Peace activists.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#189180 Sep 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
If you give a logical response to the issue, I will be very glad to respond to it.
As one of many examples, you tried to paint Muhammad as a gentle person who wouldn't even break a reed. I countered that he had poets assassinated, he condoned looting of people after he invaded them and he even condoned rape. I quoted Muslim sources themselves such as authentic hadiths from both Bukhari and Muslim and even referenced the Quran to substantiate my claim and all you could do was to call me biased. There was nothing illogical about my claim at all and it was even well substantiated, and your response, or lack thereof spoke volumes. So you saying that my responses are illogical is nothing more than an excuse for you not being able to answer them.

You have also repeatedly attributed things to me that I have never said such as nobody can touch me in a debate, when I actually merely said that you will not like the results. You claimed that we agreed that if many things seemed to match the person, then that person is the fulfillment when I actually said that if one important aspect does not match that person, that person cannot be the fulfillment. You said I was absolutely 100% sure the prophecies in Isaiah were of Jesus when I never said any such thing. I would never say that I am 100% any prophecy matches anybody. I could go on more, but you get the idea.

You also like to change the rules as you see fit, on the fly. For example, you claimed that Isaiah 9:6 was talking about something that did or will happen in Isaiah's lifetime, but then when it came to a prophecy about Muhammad, you acknowledged it could be talking about Solomon, but you said that would be too soon. I don't know where you got that "too soon" rule from, but you seem to use that only when it suits your argument and then change it when it doesn't.

So forget about it. Nobody could ever have any reasonable, logical, any discussion with someone who behaves like this. It is completely pointless.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I give reason from every prophesy I quote that how it applies to our prophet.... you have no answer for any of them.
And that is wrong as well. When you brought up Isaiah 42, I answered every single claim you made, piece by piece, in detail, in a very long response only to have you respond to half of my responses, and completely ignore the other half that you couldn't answer and merely move on as though you have made you point. This is why you have heard no answers from me anymore about other prophesies you raise. You still think we are going to discuss this but you are sadly mistaken. I have wasted enough time with someone like you. You cannot conduct yourself in an objective manner, you attribute things to me that I never said, you are selective in what you respond to and don't respond to, and you get emotional about things. All exactly what someone is NOT supposed to do in a debate. So the rest of this debate is not going to happen. I can't continue to be this stupid wasting my time with you.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#189181 Sep 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
Sure, it's funny to hear a guy who condones terrorist attacks speak this way. Look in the mirror first. Have you ever heard of the term "introspection"?
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#189182 Sep 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
@ Seeker
I also added another example to explain 2:190-2:193 and this is the easiest way to understand.
So, you can only wage war upon one, if one wages war upon you. And you can see what wrong the US did when it waged war upon Iraq, when Iraq had not waged any war upon the US.
Your honest opinion would be highly appreciated.
First of all, I don't remember ever bothering to bring 2:193 up, so why don't you wait for their response. Second of all, I started a whole thread where I compared George Bush Jr. to Muhammad and not one single Muslim could respond because my comparison was spot on and true, and Muhammad did not do very well. The only person who could say anything was Jihad Jenius, and as usual, he did everything but answer the topic subject. If you would like, I'll start that thread again and you can take a crack at it. Third of all, I don't know why Muhammad didn't interpret the Quran as you do and did not follow it. If you think that people are supposed to believe that in every battle he fought and every land he invaded, he was attacked first, you are out of your mind. Everybody in the entire Arabian Peninsula attacked him first? That would be an insane claim.

Here is IBN Kathir giving an historical background for 9:29
http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php...

"(Fight against those who believe not in Allah, nor in the Last Day, nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth among the People of the Scripture,) This honorable Ayah was revealed with the order to fight the People of the Book, after the pagans were defeated, the people entered Allah's religion in large numbers, and the Arabian Peninsula was secured under the Muslims' control. Allah commanded His Messenger to fight the People of the Scriptures, Jews and Christians, on the ninth year of Hijrah, and he prepared his army to fight the Romans and called the people to Jihad announcing his intent and destination. The Messenger sent his intent to various Arab areas around Al-Madinah to gather forces, and he collected an army of thirty thousand. Some people from Al-Madinah and some hypocrites, in and around it, lagged behind, for that year was a year of drought and intense heat. The Messenger of Allah marched, heading towards Ash-Sham to fight the Romans until he reached Tabuk, where he set camp for about twenty days next to its water resources. He then prayed to Allah for a decision and went back to Al-Madinah because it was a hard year and the people were weak".

The Romans had no interests in the Muslims, they were too busy trying to keep what they already had and they were too thinly stretched and Rome itself was decaying by that time. They didn't even know who the Muslims were until Muslims started off with small raids of their towns which eventually led to an all out invasion.

Once again, I invent nothing and I do not just make arbitrary claims, I substantiate them using Muslim sources themselves.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#189183 Sep 16, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, it's funny to hear a guy who condones terrorist attacks speak this way. Look in the mirror first. Have you ever heard of the term "introspection"?
Yes I condone all the terrorist attacks which Israeli police and Military "routinely" carries out in Palestine....don't you condone it?

Shame on you!!
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#189184 Sep 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
If you answer Shamma it would be like you have put your hand in Killer Bee's nest!!
That's true. And if someone answers you, it's like they have agreed to play a street corner shell game scam where the ball always moves. The rules always change to suit you needs and then change back when it suits you. You are what is called a moving target and there is no objectivity or consistency to be found in you at all.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#189185 Sep 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I condone all the terrorist attacks which Israeli police and Military "routinely" carries out in Palestine....don't you condone it?
Shame on you!!
It's funny how those attacks by Israel always seem to come after Palestinian rocket attacks against random civilians, isn't it? But no, no no no, Palestinians do nothing but knit sweaters and the big bad Israelis come by and attack them for no reason at all, just for the fun of it. And you actually believe that. Those random rocket attacks are nothing but a figment of everybody's imagination.

oh no, no no no. eet all westurn meedea lize. muslims no doo dees

It's amazing to me how you can completely ignore one side of the equation and focus 100% on the other side. I don't know how you pull this math off in your head but it is absolutely amazing.

1+1=2. ooo oooo, let's just forget about one of those ones so we can make the answer 1.

As is said, violence begets violence, so I have no idea why the Palestinians or you act so surprised about Israeli reprisal attacks as if they never did anything at all to cause them.
El Cid

Saint Albans, WV

#189186 Sep 16, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a matter of belief, right? It's our belief. We don't ask anyone else to abide by our beliefs. How does it harm you?
Does G-d care? My interpretation is that G-d cares. G-d is not only holy; G-d's Name itself is holy. If one disrespects G-d's name, is the name being held holy? If one destroys G-d's name, is the name being held holy?
This is our belief. Therefore, if one doesn't commit G-d's name to writing, it cannot be destroyed or disrespected. So, one does not write the whole name.
Exception is made for scriptures and prayer books which are accorded special rites when they wear out and need to be destroyed.
Please consider the following passages:
"Thou shalt not take the name of HaShem thy G-d in vain; for HaShem will not hold him guiltless that taketh His name in vain."
"Therefore you shall keep My commandments and perform them: I am the Lord. You shall not profane My holy name, but I will be hallowed among the children of Israel."
"I will extol Thee, my G-d, O King; and I will bless Thy name for ever and ever.
"Every day will I bless Thee; and I will praise Thy name for ever and ever."
"For thus saith the High and Lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy:"
[note the word name. Vain means held worthless. If one destroys G-d's written name, the name is held worthless. If one does not commit the actual word to writing, it cannot be destroyed.]
Believe whatever and however you please, but I fail to see how removing the vowel "o" and replacing it with a hyphen "-" accords any more or any less respect to the name of the "High and Lofty One," which you yourself have identified above as "HaShem," which, curiously, is NOT hyphenated as H-Sh-m, even though it is the actual name of "G-d."
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#189187 Sep 16, 2013
It always cracks me up how the Muslims can kick someone in the shins and then claim to be the victim when the person punches them back. They have an uncanny ability to immediately forget their own actions. I have no idea how their mind pulls this stunt off, but it actually does. Such completely irrational people.
Eric

Roselle, IL

#189188 Sep 16, 2013
El Cid wrote:
<quoted text>Believe whatever and however you please, but I fail to see how removing the vowel "o" and replacing it with a hyphen "-" accords any more or any less respect to the name of the "High and Lofty One," which you yourself have identified above as "HaShem," which, curiously, is NOT hyphenated as H-Sh-m, even though it is the actual name of "G-d."
HaShem itself is a substitution. And it is a substitution for the same reason. The original was the tetragrammaton.
bmz

Singapore

#189189 Sep 16, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, I don't remember ever bothering to bring 2:193 up, so why don't you wait for their response. Second of all, I started a whole thread where I compared George Bush Jr. to Muhammad and not one single Muslim could respond because my comparison was spot on and true, and Muhammad did not do very well. The only person who could say anything was Jihad Jenius, and as usual, he did everything but answer the topic subject. If you would like, I'll start that thread again and you can take a crack at it. Third of all, I don't know why Muhammad didn't interpret the Quran as you do and did not follow it. If you think that people are supposed to believe that in every battle he fought and every land he invaded, he was attacked first, you are out of your mind. Everybody in the entire Arabian Peninsula attacked him first? That would be an insane claim.
Here is IBN Kathir giving an historical background for 9:29
http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php...
"(Fight against those who believe not in Allah, nor in the Last Day, nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth among the People of the Scripture,) This honorable Ayah was revealed with the order to fight the People of the Book, after the pagans were defeated, the people entered Allah's religion in large numbers, and the Arabian Peninsula was secured under the Muslims' control. Allah commanded His Messenger to fight the People of the Scriptures, Jews and Christians, on the ninth year of Hijrah, and he prepared his army to fight the Romans and called the people to Jihad announcing his intent and destination. The Messenger sent his intent to various Arab areas around Al-Madinah to gather forces, and he collected an army of thirty thousand. Some people from Al-Madinah and some hypocrites, in and around it, lagged behind, for that year was a year of drought and intense heat. The Messenger of Allah marched, heading towards Ash-Sham to fight the Romans until he reached Tabuk, where he set camp for about twenty days next to its water resources. He then prayed to Allah for a decision and went back to Al-Madinah because it was a hard year and the people were weak".
The Romans had no interests in the Muslims, they were too busy trying to keep what they already had and they were too thinly stretched and Rome itself was decaying by that time. They didn't even know who the Muslims were until Muslims started off with small raids of their towns which eventually led to an all out invasion.
Once again, I invent nothing and I do not just make arbitrary claims, I substantiate them using Muslim sources themselves.
I was expecting a simple honest reply and that DID NOT come and you went off-topic. This is what most Christians usually do. Never mind.
bmz

Singapore

#189190 Sep 16, 2013
Shamma wrote:
You need to face reality!
The Quran promotes insanity in the mind of Muslims.
Your view of the success is unreal.
Muhammad built his empire by lying, raping, robbing, and murder.
God does not honor such evil deeds as appropriate conduct for a prophet to do.
Moses killed in defending an innocent women from being beaten to death by an Egyptian solder.
Muhammad raped, robbed, and murder to spread his own religion.
Muhammad's verses in the Quran to fight for the cause of Allah are self serving to spread his own religion.
Muhammad built no empire and did not sit on any seat. You can lie all you want like the Church lied through her fathers' false teeth and through their arses.

Moses did not kill to defend a woman. He killed an Egyptian to save one of his own Hebrews. The point is that God forgave Moses.

Likewise Jesus' sins that he committed in the first 29 years of his life, were forgiven after he went through repentance and baptism procedure.

If Jesus were sinless, he would not have gone through that exercise. I consider myself sinless and if you offer me baptism of any kind, I would say, "Get lost! I am sinless because I have not committed a sin."

That Jesus repented and went through baptism of John is a clear indication that he had sinned before. He did it in a very clever way.

Also, note that he should have cast or thrown the first stone on the adulterous woman, if he were sinless. He also acted smart and fooled the Jews with his remark.

If there were a smart Jew, he would have said, "Jesus, why don't you throw the first stone if you are really sinless?"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Archaeology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hands-on Archaeology of New Mexico Exhibit at t... Sat Dairine 1
News Hair Extension Found On Ancient Egyptian Woman May 5 Akhenaten 1
News Giant Easter Island 'Hats' Rolled Into Place, S... Apr 27 peterw 1
Is Nebuchadnezzar II responsible for the ruins ... Apr 26 Cyler 1
News The History of Human Migration (Feb '13) Apr '15 jake10 2
News "Digging" the Archaeological Study Bible; Curre... (Jan '08) Apr '15 Crazy Talk 12
News Origin of Hindu Brahmins (Aug '08) Apr '15 MUQ2 189
More from around the web