Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 256487 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#187334 Sep 1, 2013
bmz wrote:
Questions to Christians, excluding dear HughBe, a cognizant Christian
The word 'father' appears 660 times in the Old Testament.
How many times does the word Father appear in the Old Testament?
How many times does the word 'Father' appear in each gospel? Please name the gospels also.
Thanks
God shows Himself as many roles in the Old Testament and the specific role of Father is one of them.

This theme is sporadic in regards to specific references to God as Father in the Old Testament.

“There [in the old Testament] God is specifically called the Father of the nation of Israel (Deut. 32:6; Isa. 63:16; [twice] 64:8; Jer. 3:4, 19; 31:9; Mal. 1:6; 2:10) or the Father of certain individuals (2 Sam. 7:14; 1 Chron. 17:13; 22:10; 28:6; Psalm 68:5; 89:26) only fifteen times.(Elwell)” Compare that to the New Testament at more than 200+ times!

This would seem to stifle the argument that the most blessed gift in the entire Bible is to have God as our Father. But as we take a closer look the Fatherhood of God in the Old Testament we will discover this underlying theme.

“This metaphor for God [as Father] may have been avoided in the Old Testament due to its frequent use in the ancient Near East where it was used in various fertility religions and carried heavy sexual overtones.(Elwell)”

However, God chose to show His Fatherhood through genealogy and through the Law. The countless ‘begat’s’ throughout the Pentateuch and the other historical books shows a lineage of fathers that can be traced back to Moses and Aaron then to Abraham then to Noah then to Adam.

Mankind’s genealogy is traced through fathers and their sons; priests and leaders were chosen this way and of course the Messiah would be validated through this legacy of kings.

Admittedly,“The whole spirit of the Old Testament religion was determined by the thought of God’s holiness (Packer pg 202)”. The fact that God made a concerted effort to establish himself as separate in the Old Testament is well seen and the fear of the Lord along with sacrificial atonement set the stage for His bigness and our smallness.

But God reached us through a people, His chosen generations of the Israelites.“As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father of many nations.(bold added Genesis 17:4)” God refers to Himself when he uses “The God of your fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob” 17 times, which is more than the direct references calling Himself father.

It also links Him to men that He made into fathers. Their fatherhood rested completely on God’s ability to grant that office. He set up a culture of family and legacy for his heart to be seen.

Location hidden

#187335 Sep 1, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
That is neither a he nor a person and not even God. In Genesis 1:2, it is
described as 'The spirit of God was hovering over waters' and that simply means God watched the earth formed.
The language is figurative, so please do not create a God known as Ruach HaKodesh.
There is no such thing as the Spirit of God or the Holy Spirit of God in the Tanakh, as far as I know.
RUACH HAKODESH

Ruach HaKodesh (Hebrew: &#1512;&#1493;&#14 95; &#1492;&#1511;&#14 93;&#1491;&#1513;, meaning Divine Spirit or Divine Inspiration, literally "Holy Spirit", also transliterated Ruah Ha-qodesh) is the term used in the Jewish Hebrew Bible (Tanakh) to refer to the Spirit of YHVH .
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#187336 Sep 1, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear HughBe
Greetings, bro.
The US regime thrives on lies. Iraq had no WMD and the the past US regime's representatives lied through their teeth at the UN along with the British regime's ambassador at the UN.
Colin Powell feels so ashamed and distraught that he has withdrawn from the public life.
This time the regimes of Saudi King, Qatari Emir, the UK and the US are responsible for this mess.
The clueless fools know well that that the rebels and crooks they are supporting, will in future be the biggest pain in their arses.
And they think the strikes will not hurt public. Thousands more will be shredded, when bombs are rained.
I hope American citizens rein in their regime leaders just like the British citizens did through their MPs.
This regime has killed hundreds of thousands of Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan. I don't know how can it be trusted? The whole idea is to make Israeli neighbourhood weak.
When Israel was bombing and dropping White Phosphorous bombs on Gaza, not a single member of the American regime gave a statement condemning that.
The American regime is definitely evil. The British divided the world and ruled over it. The American regimes have gone further. Divide, pit them against each other, make them fight each other and gain!
And the idiot leaders of the Arab world do not understand this and consider America and a few countries of the West as their sincere friend.
Thanks for your input, brother HughBe.
HughBe---The world is still waiting for the EVIDENCE that Saddam,the MURDERED, had WMD.

BMZ---Iraq had no WMD and the the past US regime's representatives lied through their teeth at the UN along with the British regime's ambassador at the UN.

HughBe--- They certainly lied about Saddam having WMD and they MURDERED him.

HughBe---The US is a RACISTS and oppressive place and engages in EVIL and is a puppet of its master in the Middle East.

BMZ---The clueless fools know well that that the rebels and crooks they are supporting, will in future be the biggest pain in their ARSES.

HughBe--- Keep in mind that they enjoy pain in their ARSES, in my opinion i.e. based on laws passed.

BMZ--- The whole idea is to make Israeli neighbourhood weak.

HughBe--- I would ADD and liberating OIL.

BMZ---When Israel was bombing and dropping White Phosphorous bombs on Gaza, not a single member of the American regime gave a statement condemning that.

HughBe--- Keep in mind that the SERVANT cannot condemn his master.

BMZ---The American regime is definitely evil.

HughBE--- This is known

BMZ---The British divided the world and ruled over it. The American regimes have gone further. Divide, pit them against each other, make them fight each other and gain!

HughBe--- They have a goal and clearly they and their master are beneficiaries.

Location hidden

#187337 Sep 1, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe---The world is still waiting for the EVIDENCE that Saddam,the MURDERED, had WMD.
BMZ---Iraq had no WMD and the the past US regime's representatives lied through their teeth at the UN along with the British regime's ambassador at the UN.
HughBe---The US is a RACISTS and oppressive place and engages in EVIL and is a puppet of its master in the Middle East.
BMZ---The clueless fools know well that that the rebels and crooks they are supporting, will in future be the biggest pain in their ARSES.
HughBe--- Keep in mind that they enjoy pain in their ARSES, in my opinion i.e. based on laws passed.
BMZ--- The whole idea is to make Israeli neighbourhood weak.
BMZ---When Israel was bombing and dropping White Phosphorous bombs on Gaza, not a single member of the American regime gave a statement condemning that.
HughBe--- Keep in mind that the SERVANT cannot condemn his master.
BMZ---The American regime is definitely evil.
HughBE--- This is known
BMZ---The British divided the world and ruled over it. The American regimes have gone further. Divide, pit them against each other, make them fight each other and gain!
HughBe--- They have a goal and clearly they and their master are beneficiaries.
So what's wrong with having a goal and sharing the benefits?
Muhammad is called the perfect human being for raping, robbing, and committing murder to spread his religion of Islam.
And you HughBe approve of Muhammad teaching that to Muslims!

Stealing is taught to Muslims by Muhammad in the Quran.
Muhammad PROMISED Muslims Paradise if they raped, robbed, and Murdered for the cause of spreading his religion of Islam.
Muhammad made his followers rich by sharing the booty and slaves with his army of men who raped, robbed, and murdered at Muhammad's command!
Many Muslims still obey that command by Muhammad to rape, steal and murder for the booty and slaves.

So why do you approve of Muslims doing the same thing?
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#187338 Sep 1, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, who decided that Saddam should be hung and who was chanting "Al Sadr" when he was hung? Do you know who Al Sadr was? That was the father of the radical Muslim Shiite cleric who was fighting against the US after the US took over Irag. Why would the US chant that?
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you tell me any oil benefits that the US received from invading Iraq? Wasn't the story that they were there to steal their oil, and yet oil prices are even higher, and the US wasted a lot of it's own money on Iraq while Iraq now enjoys a budget surplus while the US is heavily in debt? Can you explain this to me? Where are the secret pipelines to steal the oil? Why does Iraq have a budget surplus while the US is more heavily in debt after all of this? Are you ever capable of checking any facts? Oil is sold on OPEC and supply and demand effects the cost. Period.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#187339 Sep 1, 2013
yehoshooah adam wrote:
i have seen many, blaspheme THE-FATHER here. i have seen all, blaspheme TheSon here. but you are only not forgiven, for as long as you continue to do this. but you, can be forgiven.
Who says?? YOU?? You have no authority at all. You are a guy suffering from severe bipolar disorder typing on a topix forum because you can't even work anymore. Threaten all you want. Nobody should take one single thing you say seriously.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#187340 Sep 1, 2013
yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: everything you said, that is true about you. is not the truth, about me.
You still have not answered my question as to why God would create the same repeat over and over again when God would know it will fail. You never considered that and this is why I get no answer from you to this question and instead I get the same repeated bullsh!t from you. You do everything BUT answer the actual question that I raised, and that's because you can't answer it because that question never even occurred to you because you are nothing but a stupid, psychotic moron with a stupid bullhorn in your hands and a delusional sense of self importance.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#187341 Sep 1, 2013
yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: you cannot be doing TheWill of THE FATHER, blaspheming THE HOLY SPIRIT, THE FATHER, and your Savior also. i was willing to forgive you for using, the faux name for Yeshooah.
I don't want any forgiveness from a psychopath who is actually the blasphemer himself. Save it for yourself. Hopefully God will forgive you by understanding that you are out of your mind anyway and don't know what you are doing.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#187342 Sep 1, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
I have already made my points clear. To say that because Jesus was sinless, etc, he was a form of God, is absurd and rubbish. Buddha was also sinless and pure.{?QUOTE]

What makes you think that?

[QUOTE who="bmz"]<quoted text>
Cannot be said that he was also a form of God. So, please cut that crap theory of yours.
All prophets did the will of God, which simply means they did what God had wanted.
Actually, that's not true and that's why God did not allow Moses to finally lead them into the actual promise land. Go ask a Jew.
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody really knows what was the will of God, when God sent Jesus.
Who said we did?
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
David had a father. Jesus did not have a father. However, both had the Father.
But you did not answer about the difference between the two.
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
To me, the creation of Jesus, without a man touching his mother, was for only one reason.
It was to cut off the Israelite seed after Jeconiah and his son Shealtiel. No more Israelite seed. So, Jesus was created without an Israelite male's seed.
Who told you that and what is your basis for that other than creating something that you need to be true?
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Did David have the Father? Did Jesus have the Father? Everyone in Judea at that time had the Father
but the Father was not everyone's father. Right?
Well, all that I can say is that Jesus was the only one without a "father", as you like to play the silly little game between "Father" and "father". Jesus didn't have a "father". How come every other prophet had a "father"? I would like to include Muhammad in this conversation of all prophets, but I do not think he is worthy of inclusion. But even he had a "father".
yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#187343 Sep 1, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>Who is RUACH HAKODESH?
Where does he come from?
rabbee: RUACH HAKODESH - THE HOLY FEMINE SPIRIT OF G-D. WHO THE-FATHER SAYS YOU SHALL NEVER SHOW DISRESPECT To, For, OR At. as G-D commanded to Avraham, to listen to Sarah's voice. and to adam to listen to, the woman chaooah's voice also.
yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#187344 Sep 1, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
You still have not answered my question as to why God would create the same repeat over and over again when God would know it will fail. You never considered that and this is why I get no answer from you to this question and instead I get the same repeated bullsh!t from you. You do everything BUT answer the actual question that I raised, and that's because you can't answer it because that question never even occurred to you because you are nothing but a stupid, psychotic moron with a stupid bullhorn in your hands and a delusional sense of self importance.
rabbee: i have told you, i am done with your being an antiG-D deadbeat. you are a worthless and hopeless cause, that cannot be salvaged. i am not going to waste any more time, on someone G-D shall never forgive for insulting HIS HOLY MATE.

Location hidden

#187345 Sep 1, 2013
yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: RUACH HAKODESH - THE HOLY FEMINE SPIRIT OF G-D. WHO THE-FATHER SAYS YOU SHALL NEVER SHOW DISRESPECT To, For, OR At. as G-D commanded to Avraham, to listen to Sarah's voice. and to adam to listen to, the woman chaooah's voice also.
But you do disrespect The Holy Spirit by not accepting Jesus as Gods Son!
Alex WM

London, UK

#187346 Sep 1, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
BMZ---He said that the US failure to present evidence to the international community was "simply disrespectful".
HughBe--- Greetings my brother. I see that nothing has changed. The world is still waiting for the EVIDENCE that Saddam,the MURDERED, Saddam had WMD.
I once heard that over a MILLION Iraqis died as a result of Operation Iraqi Liberation under which America LIBERATED the OIL from Iraq. This is my understanding.
The US is a RACISTS and oppressive place and engages in EVIL and is a puppet of its master in the Middle East.
Dear HughBe, that is a very bold and honest comment. Thank you.
They also used many types of "wmd" on innocent Iraqis since their invasion of 1990. These murders are several hundred times worse than what saddam was accused of using the chemicals that the west supplied.
The world knows what you say as true but the media and a very few control freaks control the minds of many innocent Americans, most of whom don't even have a passport.
Operation Iraq Liberation = OIL and natural gas plus a captive market for over priced contracts to work on the infrastructure that was destroyed by the invaders.
God knows the truth and God will deal with these liars.
Peace.
Alex WM

London, UK

#187347 Sep 1, 2013
El Cid wrote:
<quoted text>Dick Head,
I don't worship a naked pagan on a pole.
El dick head.
I gave the links to your naked pagan god but topix have deleted them!
Wonder why!
YES...you worship naked pagan.
Google..statues of naked jesus.
try wikipedia too!
google...michael angelo crucifix or michael angelo naked jesus
go for it.
Alex WM

London, UK

#187348 Sep 1, 2013
El Cid wrote:
<quoted text>No, he states the matter forthrightly, but you can't handle the truth. Even MUQ the Tool of the House of Saud believes that Mohammad's conquests prove divine favor.
Reminds me of Jacob David Moses and Judah who were "god"'s brown eyed boys!
Alex WM

London, UK

#187349 Sep 1, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
What does it matter which side is committing the atrocity. The problem is that it is occurring unabated. Neither side in Syria is doing anything to quell the problem. It makes no difference to me if people are being gassed in the streets or gassed in chambers in concentration camps. People are being gassed and it has to stop.
Never again.
like north and south vietnam
north and south korea
iraq
libya
and many south american countries that are in turmoil.
how bout Egypt? why not bomb them too?
Alex WM

London, UK

#187350 Sep 1, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
I am so glad to see that your MPs defeated the PM of the British regime. Great job, bro.
Leaders of the American regime are indeed showing hypocrisy. I hope the American public will rein in their Congressmen.
In fact, the credit goes to Putin for speaking out openly.
Salaams
BMZ
Yes, bro. It was a response to the opinion of the overwhelming majority of decent Brits who are much more knowledgeable than the average US citizen who has left his/her shores.
Hope the American public reject the biased media and use their common sense and decency.
Putin seems to know what he wants and what he is doing!
Salaams
Alex
Alex WM

London, UK

#187351 Sep 1, 2013
Alex WM

London, UK

#187352 Sep 1, 2013
hello el dickhead....
now you need to add this to the END of link i gave...
"peGc"....
yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#187353 Sep 1, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>But you do disrespect The Holy Spirit by not accepting Jesus as Gods Son!
rabbee: i must rebuke all lies, including your fake name for Yeshooah Adam. and in fact i am honoring RUACH HAKODESH, by telling the truth. your scriptures are filled with names, that have been altered from their original intent and meaning.

and in fact it is you, who are dishonoring TheSon, by bearing false witness with a fake name. and it is you who are dishonoring THE FATHER AND RUACH HAKODESH, by bearing false witness in TheName of THEIR Son.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Archaeology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fossilised tooth Feb 10 Navigator 1
News 700-year-old poop found, still reeks (Apr '14) Feb 8 Ancient Phart 27
News Aglukkaq re-announces Franklin Centre for Gjoa ... Feb 7 stand on guard 4 ... 1
News The struggle to preserve Gaza's treasures (Feb '11) Jan 25 Moses Kestenbaum ODA 2
Ark of the Covenant @ Stonehenge Jan 23 Wally Hope 4
News Obama names Utah, Nevada monuments despite oppo... Dec '16 Off Topic 5
News New theory on Stonehenge describes it as 'an an... (Mar '15) Dec '16 Lucifer 9
More from around the web