Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 253557 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#177592 May 25, 2013
The Divinity of Christ

Christ’s divinity is shown over and over again in the New Testament. For example, in John 5:18 we are told that Jesus’ opponents sought to kill him because he "called God his Father, making himself equal with God."

In John 8:58, when quizzed about how he has special knowledge of Abraham, Jesus replies, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I Am"—invoking and applying to himself the personal name of God—"I Am" (Ex. 3:14). His audience understood exactly what he was claiming about himself. "So they took up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple" (John 8:59).

In John 20:28, Thomas falls at Jesus’ feet, exclaiming, "My Lord and my God!" (Greek: Ho Kurios mou kai ho Theos mou—literally, "The Lord of me and the God of me!")

In Philippians 2:6, Paul tells us that Christ Jesus "[w]ho, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be g.asped" (New International Version). So Jesus chose to be born in humble, human form though he could have simply remained in equal glory with the Father for he was "in very nature God."

Also significant are passages that apply the title "the First and the Last" to Jesus. This is one of the Old Testament titles of Yahweh: "Thus says Yahweh, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, Yahweh of armies:‘I am the First and I am the Last; besides me there is no god’" (Is. 44:6; cf. 41:4, 48:12).

This title is directly applied to Jesus three times in the book of Revelation: "When I saw him [Christ], I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand upon me, saying,‘Fear not, I am the First and the Last’" (Rev. 1:17). "And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write:‘The words of the First and the Last, who died and came to life’" (Rev. 2:8). "Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense, to repay every one for what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the beginning and the end" (Rev. 22:12–13).

This last quote is especially significant since it applies to Jesus the parallel title "the Alpha and the Omega," which Revelation earlier applied to the Lord God: "‘I am the Alpha and the Omega,’ says the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty" (Rev. 1:8).

Location hidden

#177593 May 25, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sure that this is speaking about Paul or is it just your own take on things? Have you ever even read Paul before you made this determination? If you read Paul, are you sure that you understand what he said?
Ezekiel 13

New International Version (NIV)

False Prophets Condemned

13 The word of the Lord came to me: 2 “Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel who are now prophesying. Say to those who prophesy out of their own imagination:‘Hear the word of the Lord! 3 This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Woe to the foolish[a] prophets who follow their own spirit and have seen nothing! 4 Your prophets, Israel, are like jackals among ruins. 5 You have not gone up to the breaches in the wall to repair it for the people of Israel so that it will stand firm in the battle on the day of the Lord. 6 Their visions are false and their divinations a lie. Even though the Lord has not sent them, they say,“The Lord declares,” and expect him to fulfill their words. 7 Have you not seen false visions and uttered lying divinations when you say,“The Lord declares,” though I have not spoken?

8 “‘Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: Because of your false words and lying visions, I am against you, declares the Sovereign Lord. 9 My hand will be against the prophets who see false visions and utter lying divinations. They will not belong to the council of my people or be listed in the records of Israel, nor will they enter the land of Israel. Then you will know that I am the Sovereign Lord.

10 “‘Because they lead my people astray, saying,“Peace,” when there is no peace, and because, when a flimsy wall is built, they cover it with whitewash, 11 therefore tell those who cover it with whitewash that it is going to fall. Rain will come in torrents, and I will send hailstones hurtling down, and violent winds will burst forth. 12 When the wall collapses, will people not ask you,“Where is the whitewash you covered it with?”

13 “‘Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: In my wrath I will unleash a violent wind, and in my anger hailstones and torrents of rain will fall with destructive fury. 14 I will tear down the wall you have covered with whitewash and will level it to the ground so that its foundation will be laid bare. When it[b] falls, you will be destroyed in it; and you will know that I am the Lord. 15 So I will pour out my wrath against the wall and against those who covered it with whitewash. I will say to you,“The wall is gone and so are those who whitewashed it, 16 those prophets of Israel who prophesied to Jerusalem and saw visions of peace for her when there was no peace, declares the Sovereign Lord.”’

17 “Now, son of man, set your face against the daughters of your people who prophesy out of their own imagination. Prophesy against them 18 and say,‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Woe to the women who sew magic charms on all their wrists and make veils of various lengths for their heads in order to ensnare people. Will you ensnare the lives of my people but preserve your own? 19 You have profaned me among my people for a few handfuls of barley and scraps of bread. By lying to my people, who listen to lies, you have killed those who should not have died and have spared those who should not live.

20 “‘Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am against your magic charms with which you ensnare people like birds and I will tear them from your arms; I will set free the people that you ensnare like birds. 21 I will tear off your veils and save my people from your hands, and they will no longer fall prey to your power. Then you will know that I am the Lord. 22 Because you disheartened the righteous with your lies, when I had brought them no grief, and because you encouraged the wicked not to turn from their evil ways and so save their lives, 23 therefore you will no longer see false visions or practice divination.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#177594 May 25, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>Shame on you rabbee!
God never commands anyone to break his laws.
Man either abides by Gods law by his own free will or by his own will breaks Gods law.
rabbee: if your mind is evil and wicked, so shall it physically commanded to manifest itself.

what did G-D do, at the tower of babel? and was it also G-D, who hardened the pharaoh's heart? and was it G-D, WHO commanded the death the first born in egypt? wasn't it G-D WHO commanded, Adam to be put to death? wasn't it G-D who commanded hasatan, to torment Yovel?

if you want to play hardball, you have picked against TheG-D you don't want to do that with.

Location hidden

#177595 May 25, 2013
rabbee yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: if your mind is evil and wicked, so shall it physically commanded to manifest itself.
what did G-D do, at the tower of babel? and was it also G-D, who hardened the pharaoh's heart? and was it G-D, WHO commanded the death the first born in egypt? wasn't it G-D WHO commanded, Adam to be put to death? wasn't it G-D who commanded hasatan, to torment Yovel?
if you want to play hardball, you have picked against TheG-D you don't want to do that with.
You are ignorant of Gods ways Rabbe.
God does not order the killing of any one.
The pharaoh's heart was harden so that God could work His wonders to prove Moses was sent by God and free the Israelite's.
Romans 8:28

God Works In All Things
28And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. 29For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.…

MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#177597 May 26, 2013
Zia wrote:
1. Are you not mad?

Paul's entire argument was that scrupulous adherence to the Law of Moses does not justify a man in God's sight, but rather FAITH. Romans 3:28

King James Version (KJV)

28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

The advice that Paul gives regarding Bishops is just that, period.

You understand nothing.

2. Mark 10:35 Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to him.“Teacher,” they said,“we want you to do for us whatever we ask.”

36 “What do you want me to do for you?” he asked.

37 They replied,“Let one of us sit at your right and the other at your left in your glory.”

38 “You don’t know what you are asking,” Jesus said.“Can you drink the cup I drink or be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?”

39 “We can,” they answered.

Jesus said to them,“You will drink the cup I drink and be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with, 40but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared.”

41 When the ten heard about this, they became indignant with James and John. 42Jesus called them together and said,“You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 43Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 44and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. 45For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

Since Paul did not hear anything from jesus, neither he learned anything from the chosen disciples of Jesus….and he never quotes Jesus for any of his arguments….

Where I go wrong that all his teachings are his own and not of Jesus.

Jesus dieing as "ransom for many"…does in know way prepares the ground for "Original Sin".

Sin came into the world because of Adam, is Paul's theory and not Jesus.

Paul's teachings have "bewitched" the mind of Simpleton Christians, who do not want to ponder.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#177598 May 26, 2013
Seeker wrote:
1. What is curious is that Muhammad often liked to speak to Christians and Jews and ask about their verses and have them read them to him. So why would someone being guided by God ever need to do this?

Why did Christians and Jews have to read their supposedly corrupt scriptures to Muhammad when Allah could tell Muhammad whatever he needed to know? But, of course, if he wasn't guided by God, then he would need someone to tell him these things to help him build the Quran.

2. He wrote it down for him in Arabic, so it was preserved for him.

From Bukhari: 6.478:

Bukhari 6.12
Narrated Abu Huraira:
Ans.

01. I did not see anywhere that our prophet asking Jews and Christians to recite their books to him so he can "gain" some knowledge from them.

When he asked them to read their own books it was a form of 'Remonstration"!! i.e. telling them, "why you are disputing with me, is it not written in your own scriptures?

Jesus also used the same line of arguments with Non Believing Jews of his time.

Perhaps you are "too quick" to comment and not read your own scriptures.

02. These Hadith do not prove your case, but in fact they negate your case.

Our prophet did not ask Muslims to get guidance from Jewish and Christian scriptures, but to stay away from them.

So your knowledge of Islamic literature is very faulty.

You need to improve it.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#177599 May 26, 2013
Susan wrote:
We are a Christian nation MUQ and we believe somebody else will pay the penalty for our sin and we are not accountable.

We need more police and prisons because there is more sin and lawlessness.

By forsaking the first commandment and falling into idolatry, we also forsake the rest of the covenant.

God promises us peace and prosperity if we remain faithful to him and if not, he will ultimately destroy us. We've gotten to a point where we are beyond redemption and God will cut us off from being a nation.
Ans.

I do not know Susan Dear if you are being true or being Sarcastic.

Christians have indeed fallen very close to Idolatry by carving the "imaginary" photos of Jesus, Mary and the Saints and then worshipping them in place of God, who has no photo and no image.

Just saying that idols are not something which are historical figures is not correct.

And claiming that since Jesus is God, making his statue and photo and worshipping them is not idolatry. Because Divinity of Jesus is not proven and it is subject of much controversy.
uhuh

Madrid, Spain

#177600 May 26, 2013
Abu Musa said, "This man is a Jew and became a Muslim and then reverted back to Judaism."
But Mu'az said, "I will not sit down till he has been killed. This is the judgment of Allah and His apostle for such cases."
So Abu Musa ordered that the man be killed.(Sahih Bukhari, book 84 #58)

it was Abu Musa & Muaz b Jabal who got the Jew killed
uhuh

Madrid, Spain

#177601 May 26, 2013
same book hadith #60 & 61,

a group of Jews in medina came to meet Muhammad: "Sam alaika (death be upon you)", instead of the normal greeting salam alaika
Aisha retorted: "Death and curse of Allah be upon you!"
the companions asked permission: "Shall we kill them?"
Muhammad: "No! Allah likes one who is kind and lenient"
the companions: "Haven't you heard what they said?"
Muhammad: "Just answer back wa alaikum (and upon you too)"

some jews dared to insult the mighty warlord in his home turf! unbelievable
JOEL THUMBS DOWN

Saint Albans, WV

#177602 May 26, 2013
uhuh wrote:
same book hadith #60 & 61,
a group of Jews in medina came to meet Muhammad: "Sam alaika (death be upon you)", instead of the normal greeting salam alaika
Aisha retorted: "Death and curse of Allah be upon you!"
the companions asked permission: "Shall we kill them?"
Muhammad: "No! Allah likes one who is kind and lenient"
the companions: "Haven't you heard what they said?"
Muhammad: "Just answer back wa alaikum (and upon you too)"
some jews dared to insult the mighty warlord in his home turf! unbelievable
Ishaq:551 "Another victim was Huwayrith. He used to insult Muhammad in Mecca. Huwayrith was put to death by Ali. The Messenger ordered Miqyas' assassination only because he had killed an Ansar who had killed his brother by mistake and then became a renegade by rejecting Islam."

Bukhari:V4B52N270 "Allah's Messenger said,'Who is ready to kill Ashraf? He has said injurious things about Allah and His Apostle.' Maslama got up saying,'Would you like me to kill him?' The Prophet proclaimed,'Yes.' Maslama said,'Then allow me to lie so that I will be able to deceive him.' Muhammad said,'You may do so.'"

Tabari VII:97 "The morning after the murder of Ashraf, the Prophet declared,'Kill any Jew who falls under your power.'"

Bukhari:V1B11N626 "The Prophet said,'No prayer is harder for the hypocrites than the Fajr. If they knew the reward they would come to (the mosque) even if they had to crawl. I decided to order a man to lead the prayer and then take a flame to burn all those who had not left their houses for the prayer, burning them alive inside their homes.'"
JOEL THUMBS DOWN

Saint Albans, WV

#177603 May 26, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
Since Paul did not hear anything from jesus, neither he learned anything from the chosen disciples of Jesus….and he never quotes Jesus for any of his arguments….
http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/comment...
Paul's Conversion
JOEL THUMBS DOWN

Saint Albans, WV

#177604 May 26, 2013
uhuh wrote:
Abu Musa said, "This man is a Jew and became a Muslim and then reverted back to Judaism."
But Mu'az said, "I will not sit down till he has been killed. This is the judgment of Allah and His apostle for such cases."
So Abu Musa ordered that the man be killed.(Sahih Bukhari, book 84 #58)
it was Abu Musa & Muaz b Jabal who got the Jew killed
The point being that apostasy from Islam was and remains a capital offense.

"This is the judgment of Allah and His apostle for such cases."
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#177605 May 26, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>Yes they have access to the bible and they may read, but not to not have the correction interpretation of it.
You need to bug off man, your becoming obsessed with your own ego.
You are divided inside of you.
What I post explains to Muslims what Jesus is talking about.
the Majority of Muslims only read the Quran, they are forbidden to read the Bible in Muslim countries.
And many Muslims that come on this forum are from Muslim countries.
So bug off.
What I post is scripture that Those Muslims never ever reaf or heard it explained to them.
So Bug off!
Okay, just keep doing what you are doing. I can promise you that not even one of them pays any attention to you. And as far as explaining it to them, what makes you so sure that you interpret it correctly?
JOEL THUMBS DOWN

Saint Albans, WV

#177606 May 26, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
Where I go wrong that all his teachings are his own and not of Jesus.
Jesus dieing as "ransom for many"…does in know way prepares the ground for "Original Sin".
Sin came into the world because of Adam, is Paul's theory and not Jesus.
Paul's teachings have "bewitched" the mind of Simpleton Christians, who do not want to ponder.
Here is the Jewish view of Original Sin. Extracted from http://www.outreachjudaism.org/
JOEL THUMBS DOWN

Saint Albans, WV

#177608 May 26, 2013
http://townhall.com/columnists/michaelbrown/2...

Is Radical Islam Normative Islam?
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#177609 May 26, 2013
JOEL THUMBS DOWN wrote:
http://townhall.com/columnists /michaelbrown/2013/05/26/is-ra dical-islam-normative-islam-n1 606129/page/full
Is Radical Islam Normative Islam?
That article was SPOT ON. He gets it.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#177611 May 26, 2013
ABE Froman wrote:
<quoted text> BUT WHO WAS THE Only ONE WHO DIED FOR US....YES ALL OF US N EARTH....HE HAD WITNESSES WHO SAW A WROTE DOWN OF THE TRUE MIRACLES...MUHAMMAD HAD DONE NOTHING COMPARED TO THE SIMPLE MAN NAMED ....JESUS...MAY God Bless you!peace be with YOU!
No one died for all of us.

Muhammad done nothing good even compared with the most mediocre man in the world.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#177612 May 26, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
No one died for all of us.
That's an opinion. I don't know how you state that as fact.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#177613 May 26, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an opinion. I don't know how you state that as fact.
Really?

Then who died for all of us? Show your fact(s)
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#177614 May 26, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
Then who died for all of us? Show your fact(s)
I believe the story in the Gospels, you don't. I can't prove they are true and you can't prove it isn't true. So what does fact have to do with it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Archaeology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Preservation unit under probe - Hawaii News (Aug '09) Tue Georgina 45
Cities’ Identity Through Architecture and Arts ... Jul 23 moabdallah 1
News On This Day: King Tut's Tomb Unsealed (Jan '13) Jul 23 Antonia 4
News Tonga's Nukuleka, the birth place of Polynesia (Jan '08) Jul 5 Silencer 1,974
News Ruby Rose reveals John Wick 2 co-star Keanu Ree... Jul 4 Anna Romanovskaja 1
News Origin of Hindu Brahmins (Aug '08) Jun '16 MUQ2 194
News If Captain Cook's ship is found, whose is it? R... Jun '16 Hostis Publicus 24
More from around the web