Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 253560 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#176995 May 21, 2013
rabbee yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: well so what! the names yahweh or jehovah. don't appear in TheTorah Scroll, either phonetically or literally.
Then Prove God exist in The Torah rabbee?
Lady Aiyesha

Hurricane, WV

#176996 May 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
What Paul wrote about Anti Christ is during the End of Time. But his Blind supporters try to pin point Anti Christ tag on the Last and Final Prophet, whom Jesus prophesized when he spoke about Comforter.
Mohammad the Comforter. LOL!
Lady Aiyesha

Hurricane, WV

#176997 May 21, 2013
http://heavenawaits.wordpress.com/why-mohamme...

Who is the Comforter that Jesus promised?

Jhn 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

Jhn 14:26 But the Comforter,[which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Jhn 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father,[even] the Spirit of truth, which proceeds from the Father, he shall testify of me:

Jhn 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

Summary of this part:

1. the Comforter will abide with them “forever.” Mohammad did not live then, and could not do this – be with them. Now that he has come and gone, he is not with anyone forever.

2. The Comforter is the Holy Ghost, not a man, who will “teach all things.” No man knows “all things,” only God.

3. The Comforter is a Spirit of Truth. Mohammad was a man, not a spirit.

4. Jesus had to leave so that the Comforter could come. That implied he was coming soon after Jesus left. Also, Jesus said that HE was sending the Comforter. Mohammad never claimed that Jesus sent him.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#176998 May 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong to say that YAHWEH or Jehovah appear anywhere in first five books of OT.
What appears is only YHWH!!
There are no vowels and there is no J!!
Both were added Much later than our prophet!!
You are wrong as well since there is no W. The correct spelling is YHVH, not YHWH
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text> Allah is an Arabic rendering to Jewish word Elohim, it is used in Hebrew language in many form like El, Eil etc.
Elohim is the plural of the word El. In Arabic the word god was pronunced as Ilah, while in Hebrew El, in Aramaic Alah. Ignorant Arabs have taken the article "al" and added to the word Ilah, making became two different words as one, Allah.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#176999 May 21, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible says God talked to Moses, and the Bible is the word of Of God.
Now you made two claims and not one!!

Ever heard about Circular arguments?

Bible says that God talked to Abraham and Moses.

And Bible is a Word of God!!

How come Bible became a Word of God?

Where is the proof about that?

You are certainly mad, in religious sense!!

I really feel pity on people like you.

Talking so "authoritatively" about matters you know so little.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#177000 May 21, 2013
Lady Aiyesha wrote:
<quoted text>
Mohammad the Comforter. LOL!
Why you doubt? LOLL?
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#177001 May 21, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong as well since there is no W. The correct spelling is YHVH, not YHWH
<quoted text>
Elohim is the plural of the word El. In Arabic the word god was pronunced as Ilah, while in Hebrew El, in Aramaic Alah. Ignorant Arabs have taken the article "al" and added to the word Ilah, making became two different words as one, Allah.
Correct. It's refreshing to see that there is at least a very small pocket of intelligent life here.
MUQ

Qatif, Saudi Arabia

#177002 May 21, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
The original is in Hebrew, there is no W, H, V, or Y in Hebrew. Is it?

So depending upon pronunciation some people write it YHWH, now you have come up with YHVH, how can I answer it?

Elohim is written with plural of respect, the word is El or Eil whose plural of respect is Elohim.

Allah is actually Al Ilah....El, or Eil and Ilah sound like same.

That is why no Jewish prophet would ever object to Allah or think that some one was speaking about a different God than their own.

Seeker

Lowell, MA

#177003 May 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
So depending upon pronunciation some people write it YHWH, now you have come up with YHVH, how can I answer it?
Elohim is written with plural of respect, the word is El or Eil whose plural of respect is Elohim.
That is why no Jewish prophet would ever object to Allah or think that some one was speaking about a different God than their own.
Allah is just Arabic for the word God. In an Arabic Bible, God is said as Allah. Muslims can say Allah and God all they want. It's just a word. But that doesn't mean it's the same God as the Hebrew God. Allah was also used in the pagan religion that Muhammad grew up with. It's just a word for God.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#177004 May 21, 2013
Speaking of Allah also being used in Muhammad's past pagan religion, do you know what else clearly came from his past pagan religion? Honor for the Kabba and the Black Stone and belief in the Jinn. Muhammad incorporated some parts of his past pagan religion into Islam. I'm not sure why, but he did. Also, when mister no compulsion in religion invaded Mecca and took it over, as well as their holy site the Kabba and banned them from ever entering it again, he smashed all of their statues in the Kabba except for one. I wonder why he kept one statue?
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#177005 May 21, 2013
The interesting thing about Muhammad was at first he agreed that people should face Jerusalem for prayer, but then, when the Jews and Christians were rejecting him as the fraud that he was, out comes another Sura telling Muslims to now face Mecca and the Kabba when praying, and it was represented as a test of faith in the Quran.

Muhammad did many things like this. Why do you think the Quran was revealed over 23 years? It wasn't because people had to slowly learn the truth little by little. That's nonsense. If that was true, then Muslims of today would have the Quran revealed to them over the course of years, but instead they are encouraged to read it as quickly as possible because it doesn't take 23 years for it to be understood.

It's clear that the Quran had to be revealed over 23 years because Muhammad's circumstances kept changing and as it did, out comes a new Sura. This is where the Islamic concept of "abrogation" comes from. Past verses were abrogated by later ones where apparently Muhammad changed his mind as his circumstances changed. That's why no compulsion in religion and to you your religion and to me mine, which he said when he was in a disadvantaged position in the earliest part of Islam, all changed later when he had an army.

Sura 5 should have been the end of the Quran where "God" said he has now completed his favor and completed their religion. Later, out comes Suras like 9 where they are commanded to fight. Muhammad's circumstances changed and he now had a powerful army, so out comes Sura 9 to make it look like God was telling them to fight, and now the concept of abrogation had to be created to explain why certain later things in the Quran contradicted earlier things.

Any 5th grader can figure out how obvious this is, but Muslims NEED Islam to be true, so they are totally blinded to this.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#177006 May 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
But the sounds of the W in English is ambiguous, thus the proper letter would be V, the rest of the letter of the word YHVH is acceptable.

I was not discussing that the slighty different pronuncation of the word god in Hebrew and Arabic is the proof that they are two different deity. So don't bring this argument with me. But if I have to express my opinion both of you can have the same word for god, but this doesn't mean you worship the same god, despite the efforts of Muhammad who tried to plagiarize the hebrew deity.
Redneck Reb

United States

#177007 May 21, 2013
The "Word of God" states That Israel will return as a Nation! Israel has returned as a Nation! So It IS the Holy Inspired WORD of God!

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#177008 May 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
There is V in Hebrew. Letter "vad".
There is also H. Letter "hay"

pronounciations vary slightly of course accross regions, as they do in any language

Location hidden

#177009 May 21, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Allah is just Arabic for the word God. In an Arabic Bible, God is said as Allah. Muslims can say Allah and God all they want. It's just a word. But that doesn't mean it's the same God as the Hebrew God. Allah was also used in the pagan religion that Muhammad grew up with. It's just a word for God.
From a Hebrew perspective, it is the same God, because we (speaking as a Jew) believe there is only one God. For the same token, we view Islam as truely monotheistic. Christianity, on the other hand.....

Location hidden

#177010 May 21, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
But if I have to express my opinion both of you can have the same word for god, but this doesn't mean you worship the same god, despite the efforts of Muhammad who tried to plagiarize the hebrew deity.
But who are you, as neither a Muslim, or a Jew, to tell someone who they are, or arent worshiping? Thats like me dictating to you whether or not you are acting Italian.

Isnt that a little arrogant (fully taking into account this is your opinion)??

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#177011 May 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you could be probably mad. But your posts confirmed my suspicion!
What about the proof that God spoke to Abraham and Moses?
We know - it is the fundamental fact of our religions history, and of the Divine revelation entrusted to us. We know, by supreme conviction, as something almost equivalent to a fundamental law of thought, that God hath spoken to Moses.(Observe the perfect &#955;&#949;&#955; &#8049;&#955;&#951 ;&#954;&#949;&#957 ;, "hath spoken" in such fashion that his words abide fur ever and are still sounding in their ears.) Moses was made a little lower than the angels. God spake to him on Sinai, and from the mercy-scat, and face to face as a man speaketh with his friend (Exodu

Location hidden

#177012 May 21, 2013
Redneck Reb wrote:
The "Word of God" states That Israel will return as a Nation! Israel has returned as a Nation! So It IS the Holy Inspired WORD of God!
My toe nail fungus returned as well, as it threatened to. That doesnt mean I go around worshipping it.(maybe I should)
Redneck Reb

United States

#177013 May 21, 2013
AMOS 9:11 In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old:

12 That they may possess the remnant of Edom, and of all the heathen, which are called by my name, saith the Lord that doeth this.

13 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed; and the mountains shall drop sweet wine, and all the hills shall melt.

14 And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them.

15 And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the Lord thy God.

JOEL THUMBS UP

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#177014 May 21, 2013
ONE GOD AMONG MANY GODS:

1) Jews believe there's one God among many.

2) This means that among the numerous competing beings or deities they choose one and began worshipping it as God.

3) Of course, the Hebrews borrowed their God and most of their beliefs from the barbaric Baal worshipping cultures that pre-date Judaism. LOL.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Archaeology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Preservation unit under probe - Hawaii News (Aug '09) Tue Georgina 45
Cities’ Identity Through Architecture and Arts ... Jul 23 moabdallah 1
News On This Day: King Tut's Tomb Unsealed (Jan '13) Jul 23 Antonia 4
News Tonga's Nukuleka, the birth place of Polynesia (Jan '08) Jul 5 Silencer 1,974
News Ruby Rose reveals John Wick 2 co-star Keanu Ree... Jul 4 Anna Romanovskaja 1
News Origin of Hindu Brahmins (Aug '08) Jun '16 MUQ2 194
News If Captain Cook's ship is found, whose is it? R... Jun '16 Hostis Publicus 24
More from around the web