Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 256617 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#177006 May 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
The original is in Hebrew, there is no W, H, V, or Y in Hebrew. Is it?
So depending upon pronunciation some people write it YHWH, now you have come up with YHVH, how can I answer it?
Elohim is written with plural of respect, the word is El or Eil whose plural of respect is Elohim.
Allah is actually Al Ilah....El, or Eil and Ilah sound like same.
That is why no Jewish prophet would ever object to Allah or think that some one was speaking about a different God than their own.
But the sounds of the W in English is ambiguous, thus the proper letter would be V, the rest of the letter of the word YHVH is acceptable.

I was not discussing that the slighty different pronuncation of the word god in Hebrew and Arabic is the proof that they are two different deity. So don't bring this argument with me. But if I have to express my opinion both of you can have the same word for god, but this doesn't mean you worship the same god, despite the efforts of Muhammad who tried to plagiarize the hebrew deity.
Redneck Reb

United States

#177007 May 21, 2013
The "Word of God" states That Israel will return as a Nation! Israel has returned as a Nation! So It IS the Holy Inspired WORD of God!

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#177008 May 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
The original is in Hebrew, there is no W, H, V, or Y in Hebrew. Is it?
So depending upon pronunciation some people write it YHWH, now you have come up with YHVH, how can I answer it?
Elohim is written with plural of respect, the word is El or Eil whose plural of respect is Elohim.
Allah is actually Al Ilah....El, or Eil and Ilah sound like same.
That is why no Jewish prophet would ever object to Allah or think that some one was speaking about a different God than their own.
There is V in Hebrew. Letter "vad".
There is also H. Letter "hay"

pronounciations vary slightly of course accross regions, as they do in any language

Location hidden

#177009 May 21, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Allah is just Arabic for the word God. In an Arabic Bible, God is said as Allah. Muslims can say Allah and God all they want. It's just a word. But that doesn't mean it's the same God as the Hebrew God. Allah was also used in the pagan religion that Muhammad grew up with. It's just a word for God.
From a Hebrew perspective, it is the same God, because we (speaking as a Jew) believe there is only one God. For the same token, we view Islam as truely monotheistic. Christianity, on the other hand.....

Location hidden

#177010 May 21, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
But if I have to express my opinion both of you can have the same word for god, but this doesn't mean you worship the same god, despite the efforts of Muhammad who tried to plagiarize the hebrew deity.
But who are you, as neither a Muslim, or a Jew, to tell someone who they are, or arent worshiping? Thats like me dictating to you whether or not you are acting Italian.

Isnt that a little arrogant (fully taking into account this is your opinion)??

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#177011 May 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you could be probably mad. But your posts confirmed my suspicion!
What about the proof that God spoke to Abraham and Moses?
We know - it is the fundamental fact of our religions history, and of the Divine revelation entrusted to us. We know, by supreme conviction, as something almost equivalent to a fundamental law of thought, that God hath spoken to Moses.(Observe the perfect &#955;&#949;&#955; &#8049;&#955;&#951 ;&#954;&#949;&#957 ;, "hath spoken" in such fashion that his words abide fur ever and are still sounding in their ears.) Moses was made a little lower than the angels. God spake to him on Sinai, and from the mercy-scat, and face to face as a man speaketh with his friend (Exodu

Location hidden

#177012 May 21, 2013
Redneck Reb wrote:
The "Word of God" states That Israel will return as a Nation! Israel has returned as a Nation! So It IS the Holy Inspired WORD of God!
My toe nail fungus returned as well, as it threatened to. That doesnt mean I go around worshipping it.(maybe I should)
Redneck Reb

United States

#177013 May 21, 2013
AMOS 9:11 In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old:

12 That they may possess the remnant of Edom, and of all the heathen, which are called by my name, saith the Lord that doeth this.

13 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed; and the mountains shall drop sweet wine, and all the hills shall melt.

14 And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them.

15 And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the Lord thy God.

JOEL THUMBS UP

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#177014 May 21, 2013
ONE GOD AMONG MANY GODS:

1) Jews believe there's one God among many.

2) This means that among the numerous competing beings or deities they choose one and began worshipping it as God.

3) Of course, the Hebrews borrowed their God and most of their beliefs from the barbaric Baal worshipping cultures that pre-date Judaism. LOL.

JOEL THUMBS UP

Location hidden

#177015 May 21, 2013
El, with its etymological variant Allah, is a savage Baal. YHVH is a form of El. LOL.

JOEL THUMBS UP

Location hidden

#177016 May 21, 2013
ORIGIN OF YHVH:

The origin of the name YHVH is that the name originally formed part of a title of the Canaanite supreme deity El, el du yahwi saba ot. LOL.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#177018 May 21, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
From a Hebrew perspective, it is the same God, because we (speaking as a Jew) believe there is only one God. For the same token, we view Islam as truely monotheistic. Christianity, on the other hand.....
I said that anybody uses the word God. Does that mean it's the same God? It's just a word. The difference comes in what you claim that God is and what God said. As far as polytheism, you are being as stupid as Muslims. Trinity comes from TRI UNITY. TRI means three, and represents three aspects or manifestations of God, not three Gods. The word "Gods" is never once uttered in any Christian scriptures. UNITY means one. TRI UNITY. Three manifestations or aspects of ONE God. Are saying saying that it is completely impossible for one God to have three aspects or manifestations? That's impossible for God?
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#177019 May 21, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
ONE GOD AMONG MANY GODS:
1) Jews believe there's one God among many.
2) This means that among the numerous competing beings or deities they choose one and began worshipping it as God.
3) Of course, the Hebrews borrowed their God and most of their beliefs from the barbaric Baal worshipping cultures that pre-date Judaism. LOL.
Did Baal worshipers believe in one God? Why do so many people here talk so much crap?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baal
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#177020 May 21, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
My toe nail fungus returned as well, as it threatened to. That doesnt mean I go around worshipping it.(maybe I should)
He was quoting the Old Testament or the original Hebrews scriptures which, as a Jew, you are supposed to believe. Aren't you supposed to believe Jeremiah?

Jeremiah 31

31 “The days are coming,” declares the Lord,
“when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel
and with the people of Judah.
32 It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant,
though I was a husband to[d] them,[e]”
declares the Lord.
33 “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
after that time,” declares the Lord.
“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
34 No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another,‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the Lord.
“For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.”

JOEL THUMBS UP

Location hidden

#177022 May 21, 2013
IS THERE ANY NEED FOR MARRIAGE OR FOR RELIGIOUS CEREMONIES PERTAINING TO MARRIAGE?

1) A religious ceremony does not sanctify a marriage.

2) Mumbo jumbo prayers and exchange of vows cannot create compatible and exalted force fields in the couple.

3) Superior force field is created by superior heredity and positive karma, while compatibility of force fields of male and female is primarily a question of genetics - gene combinations of the partners that're devoid of the hypogamous and incestuous defects.

4) So, these religious ceremonies pertaining to marriage are hype and nonsense.

5) A couple that has compatible personality types that derive from their innate genotypes can simply enter into a live-in relationship and be a successful couple.

JOEL THUMBS UP

Location hidden

#177023 May 21, 2013
NO BAR TO PROCREATION OUT OF WEDLOCK:

1) There's no bar to the procreation of offspring out of wedlock.

2) All these retarded ideas of an offspring born out of wedlock being "illegitimate" or "polluted" are religious superstitions that have no validity in terms of the basal mind-matter forces ruling the mechanism of procreation and molding of personality type.

JOEL THUMBS UP

Location hidden

#177024 May 21, 2013
MULTIPLE SEX PARTNERS:

If a person is adversely affected by the exchange of forces in an intimate relationship, then it would be better if the person sticks to just one sexual partner. Otherwise, an individual who can absorb the impact of the exchange of forces without being adversely affected in mind, emotions and body may indulge in polygynous or polyandrous relationships as the case may be.

Location hidden

#177025 May 21, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
I said that anybody uses the word God. Does that mean it's the same God? It's just a word. The difference comes in what you claim that God is and what God said. As far as polytheism, you are being as stupid as Muslims. Trinity comes from TRI UNITY. TRI means three, and represents three aspects or manifestations of God, not three Gods. The word "Gods" is never once uttered in any Christian scriptures. UNITY means one. TRI UNITY. Three manifestations or aspects of ONE God. Are saying saying that it is completely impossible for one God to have three aspects or manifestations? That's impossible for God?
All the wordings is but commentary. Fundamentally, we have the oneness.

Please dont call me stupid. That only reflects upon the emotionalism you have attached to your position.

I am not an expert on the vagaries of trinity nor do I care to be. I am, however, witness to the verbal gymnastics employed to explain how plurality means oneness. Sorry, I dont see it that way. No need to call me stupid, if anything just call me simple. Thats more to the point.

Location hidden

#177026 May 21, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
MULTIPLE SEX PARTNERS:
If a person is adversely affected by the exchange of forces in an intimate relationship, then it would be better if the person sticks to just one sexual partner. Otherwise, an individual who can absorb the impact of the exchange of forces without being adversely affected in mind, emotions and body may indulge in polygynous or polyandrous relationships as the case may be.
If god wanted us (men) to only have 1 sex partner she would not have given us 2 hands.

Location hidden

#177027 May 21, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
He was quoting the Old Testament or the original Hebrews scriptures which, as a Jew, you are supposed to believe. Aren't you supposed to believe Jeremiah?
Jeremiah 31
31 “The days are coming,” declares the Lord,
“when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel
and with the people of Judah.
32 It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant,
though I was a husband to[d] them,[e]”
declares the Lord.
33 “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
after that time,” declares the Lord.
“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
34 No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another,‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the Lord.
“For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.”
Sense of humor?

(and I am not impressed by bible babbling)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Archaeology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Archaeologists Reconstruct Face of Medieval Man... 13 hr kornadnez 1
News Blackbeard's anchor recovered off coast (May '11) Feb '17 Pretty Pharts 12
Fossilised tooth Feb '17 Navigator 1
News 700-year-old poop found, still reeks (Apr '14) Feb '17 Ancient Phart 27
News Aglukkaq re-announces Franklin Centre for Gjoa ... Feb '17 stand on guard 4 ... 1
News The struggle to preserve Gaza's treasures (Feb '11) Jan '17 Moses Kestenbaum ODA 2
Ark of the Covenant @ Stonehenge Jan '17 Wally Hope 4
More from around the web