Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 256295 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

polo

London, UK

#176432 May 16, 2013
Did you Know
On November 29, 1864, one of the most infamous events of the American-Indian wars occured when 650 Colorado volunteer forces attacked a Cheyenne and Arapho encampent along Sand Creek. Although they had already begun to peace negotiations with the U.S. government, more than 150 Native Americans were killed and mutilated, more than 2/3 of which were women and children.
President George W. Bush told an audience of his:”When William Bradford stepped off the Mayflower in 1620, he quoted the words of [the Hebrew prophet] Jeremiah 51:10:‘Come let us declare in Zion the word of God.”’ Bush also said:”The founders of my country saw a new promised land and bestowed upon their towns names like Bethlehem and New Canaan."
"Absolutely," said Mark Kelly Tyler, pastor of Mother Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Philadelphia. "It clearly puts us in a position where we can't simply say that extreme and violent behavior associated with a religious belief is somehow restricted to Muslim extremists."

The massacre was actually committed, police say, by a blond Norwegian whose photo would not seem out of place in an American college directory. As Breivik's 1,500-page manifesto emerged, calling for violence to rid Europe of non-Christians and those he deemed traitors to Christian Europe, some seized on the religious aspect of his delusions.
Martin Luther, a German theologian and religious reformer, initiated the Protestant Reformation. In his 1543 book, "On the Jews and their lies" (A precursor to Nazism) Luther took Jewish hatred to a new level when he proposed to set fire to their synagogues and schools, to take away their homes, forbad them to pray or teach, or even to utter God’s name. Luther wanted to "be rid of them" and requested that the government and ministers deal with the problem. He requested pastors and preachers to follow his example of issuing warnings against the Jews. He goes so far as to claim that "We are at fault in not slaying them" for avenging the death of Jesus Christ. Hitler’s Nazi government in the 1930s and 40s fit Luther’s desires to a tee.

Without the centuries of Christian oppression and contempt of Jews, Nazi ideology could not have taken hold nor could it have been carried out. Christian anti-Semitism ultimately played a dramatic role associated with the cause of World War II.
Christian history is a great scandal to the human race. Christianity has NOT been a religion of love, peace and justice, although it can, should and will (I believe) become a religion of love, peace and justice.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#176433 May 16, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect - monism.
Wrong.
The Hindu's got it wrong.
Theism is perfect.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#176434 May 16, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>Explain how it is you say Satan is talking?
Didn't I put three questions marks after my statement?
"This is Satan talking???"

I didn't even put one, I put three. What does it take? That's ok if you don't read my posts, because as I said earlier to you, I don't read yours. I see nothing new that you have to tell me. I am far more knowledgeable about Islam than you are, and I might even bet that I am far more knowledge about even Christianity than you are.

Belting out anti Islam shouts is going to do no good for your points at all, even if they are true or correct. And from I used to read from you, some are very correct, but some are not so correct. David Wood is in my opinion, a very intelligent person and perhaps even a real hero, so pay attention to him. I don't need to. I already know all of the things he's going to say, but others do not.
polo

London, UK

#176435 May 16, 2013
GORKY wrote:
I might have added to my previous posting that it amazes me to see references throughout the entire Koran to Allah as the GOD of Adam, Abraham, the prophets all the way through the time of Jesus.
Since the word Alla is a Muhammad invention, then how can muslims actually believe this Allah is the GOD in the Jewish and Christian texts which all preceded Muhammad.
Please, some friendly Muslim, please jump in.
To say that Muslims worship a different “God” because they say “Allah” is just as illogical as saying that French people worship another God because they use the word “Dieu”, that Spanish-speaking people worship a different God because they say “Dios” or that the Hebrews worshipped a different God because they sometimes call Him “Yahweh.” Certainly, reasoning like this is quite ridiculous!
It should also be mentioned, that claiming that any one language uses the only the correct word for God is tantamount to denying the universality of God’s message to mankind, which was to all nations, tribes and people through various prophets who spoke different languages.

You think all normal people say God?

YOU THINK ALL CHRISTIAN SAY GOD?

How many of you think Christian Say God?

You know better because the majority of Christian do not speak English and its for sure NO PROPHETS NEVER USE THAT WORD AND JESUS HIMSELF NEVER USED THAT WORD.

ITS AN ENGLISH WORD. THERE WAS NO ENGLISH LANGUAGE UNTIL THE NORMAN INVADED THE SAXON IN THE YEAR 1066 AD. A thousand years after the MESSIAH JESUS (PBUH).

But the word Allah was Here because the word Allah is part of the Semitic Language.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#176436 May 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Rabbee, I was just telling the ignorant fool that incarnation is bull shit and absurd.
My point was:
That God incarnated Jesus or that Jesus was God-Incarnate, is absurd and bull shit.
rabbee: so you never ever, believed G-D. about THEM returning Adam, as adam and his mate either? even though we! are both here again. just because some evil and wicked person, gave their fake name for Adam. and you are now, only claiming i am not really actually here, in Only TheTorah again. and that adam and his mate, are just a figment of your imagination today. and that the existence of physical totality, is insufficient evidence of G-D still giving TheWhole Torah Story again. well i guess that, and a free costly bridge shows me. and that you have no idea, Who G-D appoints as your G-d for the final day here in always TheTorah.

JOEL THUMBS UP

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#176437 May 16, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>

So what's the problem?
No problem.

Monism or nondualism is flawed in the ultimate analysis.

Now, don't debate this point with me.

Not now at least.

Figure it out yourself.

I'll explain the shortcoming or flaw in monism, later.

JOEL THUMBS UP

Location hidden

#176438 May 16, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>

Theism is perfect.
Theism is dualism - a complete non-connect between cause and effect.

Theism is irrational and does not conform to the reality either logically, experimentally or experientially.

JOEL THUMBS UP

Location hidden

#176439 May 16, 2013
Good night.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#176440 May 16, 2013
rabbee yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: i don't have voices in my head, as your false accusation fantasy thinking attempt to falsely project.
You said that God talks to you. So if you are really talking to God, do me one favor and help me believe you. Next time God talks to you, ask him what my biggest sins that I have committed in my life are. He should be able to tell you.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#176441 May 16, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem.
Monism or nondualism is flawed in the ultimate analysis.
There is no such thing as the final analysis, when the final analysis keeps changing. The only thing that will always be true is for us to know that we do not know, and some would even say that we never can know. Life is beyond the conceptualizing mind. We try to put life into a context to understand it, but how do you put the ultimate, originating context of everything into a context within itself? That is flawed thinking. How does the software truly understand the programmer? It can't. It can record the actions of the user and so forth and even learn from it, but that's it.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#176442 May 16, 2013
<quoted text>
rabbee: well so what if you are no different, that about seven billion others? as i have yet, to see any real wisdom from your not being here in TheTorah either. as you are seeing, only what you want to see without G-D.
your asking to never ever, exist ever again called oblivion. even though this is your third, opportunity to not ask for that. when you only get, three or four Torot lifetimes to not do that.
and even your thinking, you understand lao tzu your way. does not constitute, the way G-D actually sees this.
I never said it did. I'm not the one who claims to KNOW how God thinks, you are. And anybody who claims they do, is immediately to be thought of as a fool.
<quoted text>
golden lao tzu calves. because your so special in your own eyes.
I don't think I'm special at all. I'm not the one who claims to represent God like you do.
<quoted text>
and go ahead and don't believe what, G-D actually came and said and commanded of me.
Ok, I won't, and I'll tell him you told me so. LOL!!!
<quoted text>
and be the very best, demonic lesson to yourself you can be. when G-D can give this same story, to another third of fourth generation of idiots and their grandmother just like you.
when G-D has already given this same story, three to four million other bygone times before. where are, they all now??? they never made it to HEAVEN, making all the same exact mistakes this world is still preferring to make thrice again.
I see no philosophical self evident truths in what you are saying, therefore I'm going to have to once again ask you for verses. Otherwise, it's just all your own delusion. You can give me something that is wise or self evident, or you can give me verses, but without either, it's all just your own opinion and/or delusion.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#176443 May 16, 2013
<quoted text>
rabbee: really now really! you see no mention of Adam returning as adam and his mate. or their return, from the last time G-D gave this exact same story as Adam. really now, really!
Just quote the verses you get this idea from. Is that too much of anybody to ask? But you never do, and I suspect that you don't, because according to my memory, those verses are not there. So I am calling your bluff.

So go ahead, produce the verses and explain why they mean what you are saying and make a fool out of me. Wouldn't you love to do that? So what's stopping you? You do everything BUT what someone asks of you, so that says something right there for anybody who reads what you say.

Take some concepts that I have been saying and ask me where Jesus said anything like that, and I will quote the verses and explain my interpretation of them. Fair enough? This is the way that sane, rational people behave. Would you like for me to quote the verses that I think back up my assertion that if one is only able to do the will of God and nothing else, then they become a physical manifestation of God? I will. But note, I also said that nobody can or could do this except for Jesus, but the concept is still the same.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#176444 May 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
How come then Jesus is sitting on the right hand of God?
Well, I don't take that literally. Jesus rarely said anything literal, it was always conceptual. My Father's house has many rooms.
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
In Christianity, there is only one Godhead, not one God.
First of all, there is no requirement for Christians to believe in the Trinity. The Trinity is an extrapolation from the verses. Some verses seem to back it up, others don't, but it's not like they were pulling this concept out of nowhere. The only thing that Christians are required to believe is in Jesus' sacrifice for sins.

Assuming the Trinity is right, you can have three sides to triangle, and have a concept that is greater than the sum of it's parts called a triangle.

Is this thing you call "you" your body? Yes. Is it also your mind or your thoughts? Yes. Is it your soul? Yes. So while each of these can be called you and are you, depending upon the context, this thing called you as the combination of all three is greater than the sum of it's parts. Is either your body, thoughts or soul NOT you?

So if we ourselves can exist in this sort of state or paradigm, why can't God? but again, my beliefs are a little different and I explained them. If one can do nothing but the will of God, then one becomes a physical manifestation of God through the Holy Spirit. But again, nobody can do nothing but the will of god except for Jesus. Even Moses was a reluctant prophet, and Muhammad had his Satanic verses episode. They often did their own will, not God's.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#176445 May 16, 2013
<quoted text>
and go ahead and don't believe what, G-D actually came and said and commanded of me.
Next time God comes and talks to you, do me a favor that will help me believe you. Ask him what the worst, specific sins are that I have committed in my life, and if what you write back is correct, then I will believe you. Give me a specific event where I committed that sin. Fair enough? I have certainly committed sins, so this should be easy for God to tell you.

Location hidden

#176446 May 16, 2013
polo wrote:
Did you Know
On November 29, 1864, one of the most infamous events of the American-Indian wars occured when 650 Colorado volunteer forces attacked a Cheyenne and Arapho encampent along Sand Creek. Although they had already begun to peace negotiations with the U.S. government, more than 150 Native Americans were killed and mutilated, more than 2/3 of which were women and children.
President George W. Bush told an audience of his:”When William Bradford stepped off the Mayflower in 1620, he quoted the words of [the Hebrew prophet] Jeremiah 51:10:‘Come let us declare in Zion the word of God.”’ Bush also said:”The founders of my country saw a new promised land and bestowed upon their towns names like Bethlehem and New Canaan."
"Absolutely," said Mark Kelly Tyler, pastor of Mother Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Philadelphia. "It clearly puts us in a position where we can't simply say that extreme and violent behavior associated with a religious belief is somehow restricted to Muslim extremists."
The massacre was actually committed, police say, by a blond Norwegian whose photo would not seem out of place in an American college directory. As Breivik's 1,500-page manifesto emerged, calling for violence to rid Europe of non-Christians and those he deemed traitors to Christian Europe, some seized on the religious aspect of his delusions.
Martin Luther, a German theologian and religious reformer, initiated the Protestant Reformation. In his 1543 book, "On the Jews and their lies" (A precursor to Nazism) Luther took Jewish hatred to a new level when he proposed to set fire to their synagogues and schools, to take away their homes, forbad them to pray or teach, or even to utter God’s name. Luther wanted to "be rid of them" and requested that the government and ministers deal with the problem. He requested pastors and preachers to follow his example of issuing warnings against the Jews. He goes so far as to claim that "We are at fault in not slaying them" for avenging the death of Jesus Christ. Hitler’s Nazi government in the 1930s and 40s fit Luther’s desires to a tee.
Without the centuries of Christian oppression and contempt of Jews, Nazi ideology could not have taken hold nor could it have been carried out. Christian anti-Semitism ultimately played a dramatic role associated with the cause of World War II.
Christian history is a great scandal to the human race. Christianity has NOT been a religion of love, peace and justice, although it can, should and will (I believe) become a religion of love, peace and justice.
You dumb ass Muslim.
Those indian wars are over.
But the Muslims wars are still on going for over1400 years gone by.
Muslims are continuing to murder rape, rob, and lie.
Muslims are savage uncivilized people.

Muhammad was a military leader, laying siege to towns, massacring the men, raping their women, enslaving their children, and taking the property of others as his own.

On several occasions he rejected offers of surrender from the besieged inhabitants and even butchered captives.
He actually inspired his followers to battle when they did not feel it was right to fight, promising them slaves and booty if they did and threatening them with Hell if they did not.

Muhammad allowed his men to rape traumatized women captured in battle, usually on the very day their husbands and family members were slaughtered.

No matter where Muslims migrate too, death and destruction fellows.
Muhammad turned Muslims into savages that no matter where Muslims go death and destruction fellows.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#176447 May 16, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I have no idea whether God has actually withdrawn or not, and I don't know how you know that. How could anybody? But consider this. Suppose God forbids alcohol consumption, and then people somehow made it impossible for people to ever obtain alcohol. What has the person really done by not consuming alcohol when it was impossible for them to do that even if they wanted to? Why are they supposed to be rewarded for that? So there has to be choice, before a right choice can be made. Maybe that's why God allows for evil.
I'll say one thing about Satan. If Satan exists, it's no big deal to me. I doubt that Satan would be stupid enough to try to influence every single choice or action one makes. He would be a lot smarter. All he would have to do is to plant the seed of desire in us and then WE would come along and water that seed every day until it grows into a big, fat ugly tree of desire that is detestable to God. So I don't bother with Satan, I bother with myself, first and foremost.
Even when trying to understand God, first ask yourself who is trying to do the understanding? Know yourself first, and when you do, things become a lot more clear.
Satan is real and is alive on earth today. He was Adam and has been reincarnated. He is the son of God and in this present life, is the father of God. He's the only one who could genetically bring Messiah/God into the world. The creation of Satan was a side effect of the creation of man but God created him anyway and knew not everybody would be evil. God said, "I make peace and create evil, I the Lord do all these things". God is ultimately responsible for everything he created and has paid the price for it. Satan will be conquered and punished with a sword. Isaiah 27:1

Location hidden

#176448 May 16, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
<quoted text>
Theism is dualism - a complete non-connect between cause and effect.
Theism is irrational and does not conform to the reality either logically, experimentally or experientially.
Wrong
Theism is the reality that eliminates illusion.
The Hindu's got it wrong.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#176449 May 16, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then you are merely acting in your own self interest, and that's fine, as long as you don't trick yourself into believing you are doing all of this for God. You're not. You are doing it all for yourself. Is it any wonder why some claim that no matter how good you appear, you are still a sinner? Original sin starts to make sense if one sees it as you putting your will before God's. Even when you merely obey, you are actually putting your will for reward first.
That's what I meant by that whole question that I ask Christians where I ask if God wasn't going to do anything for you, would you still love God? I don't know if you read that part. And if you answer, why should I love God if he isn't going to do anything for me or to me? And if you answer that way, then you have never been loving God this whole time, no matter how much you tell yourself that you have. You love what God is supposed to do FOR you, which translates into loving yourself first and foremost.
That's original sin. I believe differently than Christians. I think that if one can never do anything but the will of God (and nobody can or could except for Jesus), then whoever does this becomes a physical manifestation of God. Maybe not God himself, maybe not even part of some Trinity. There are things done BY you, things done TO you, and then there are the rare and special things where things are done THROUGH you by God, and at that rare moment, you are a fleeting physical manifestation of God because you are not doing the action or your will, God is doing the action THROUGH you, so if it truly is God acting THROUGH you, you become a physical manifestation of God's will and as some might say, God himself. Granted, I don't think that anybody can actually do that except for Jesus. This is why no matter how good we think we are, we will always be sinners who put our will before God's. you might say that it's not you will to keep the law or sacrifice, but yes it is. You are merely doing what you think you need to do to get YOUR reward or avoid punishment, so it indeed is all about YOU, not God.
There are many verses I can provide you with that will back my idea up, but they fly right over everyone's head, including Christians. But it's right there in front of them, but they never see it because they listen to what OTHERS tell them the scriptures mean, so they miss it. Don't let anybody tell you what the scriptures mean. These are people with a plank in their eye trying to remove the speck from your eye. You have your own heart and mind and the law is written on them, no matter how deeply they are hidden within you.
Original sin is mans carnal, sexual nature. Although women are also sexual, they don't have this innate proclivity. You've heard the saying that all men are dogs, and it's true. And if God was manifested as a male, then God is a dog too. I believe God is coming as a female and will be the seed of and second Eve who will crush the head of the serpent, part of mans anatomy. Genesis 3:15
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#176450 May 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
How come then Jesus is sitting on the right hand of God?
In Christianity, there is only one Godhead, not one God.
So, who says this? Some non-Christians?
The Father is God. The Son is God. The Ghost is God.
The Father is neither the Son nor the Ghost.
The Son is neither the Father nor the Ghost.
The Ghost is neither the Father nor the Son.
They are three distinct and co-equal person.
No matter how many times you tell a Christian this, bmz, they can't understand. They are truly deaf and blind as the scripture says. They can get past their idols.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#176451 May 16, 2013
typo they can't get past their idols.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Archaeology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Secret Tunnel Discovered Beneath the Ancient Te... Jul 10 La Femme Accident 1
News Harding to open biblical archaeology museum Jul 10 Resident 23
News Humans in America 100,000 years earlier than pr... Jul 7 pshun2404 26
News Blackdom history little known (Feb '11) Jun 27 spydie 35
News Volunteers wanted to join community archaeologi... Jun '17 dig 1
News Safeguarding Islam's ancient past May '17 Tear it down 1
News Men made strange discoveryHere are the top stor... May '17 Dr Reker s Bellhop 1
More from around the web