Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 253956 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

bmz

Since: Mar 08

Singapore

#176165 May 15, 2013
the profit wrote:
BTW, I hope people realize that the story of Adam and Eve has Sumerian roots.
Quite possible. They might have had a prophet, who told them long, long before Abraham. And things changed over centuries.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#176166 May 15, 2013
the profit wrote:
<quoted text>
A mere 20 or so verses from deut show us clearly what was meant by brothers in 18:18
Deuteronomy 17
14 When thou art come unto the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee, and shalt possess it, and shalt dwell therein, and shalt say, I will set a king over me, like as all the nations that are about me;
15 Thou shalt in any wise set him king over thee, whom the Lord thy God shall choose: one from among thy brethren shalt thou set king over thee: thou mayest not set a stranger over thee, which is not thy brother.
Deuteronomy 18
15 The Lord thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;
17 And the Lord said unto me, They have well spoken that which they have spoken.
18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.
It's impossible to think that God would tell the Jews to appoint Arabs, who were pagan at that time, to be kings over them rather than fellow Israelites. Brothers or fellow bretheren meant fellow Israelites.
20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.
Muhammad clearly DID die and Muslims merely ignore this. One can argue whether Jesus actually died or not, but I don't think it's about him either. But it's CLEARLY not about Muhammad.
Well, that was my point. It's clear from the Deut 18:15-18 that YHVH promised to raise up a prophet among the people Moses freed that will heir the promise land. Muhammad was an arab of Yemeni origin and he didn't come for the people of the promise land.

WTF Muhammad has to do with Deut 18:15-18 is a mystery. But then a Muslim has not choice but to obey to Allah aka Muhammad said about himself, so you have their nonsense. There is no way you cant change their minds.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#176168 May 15, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that was my point. It's clear from the Deut 18:15-18 that YHVH promised to raise up a prophet among the people Moses freed that will heir the promise land. Muhammad was an arab of Yemeni origin and he didn't come for the people of the promise land.
WTF Muhammad has to do with Deut 18:15-18 is a mystery. But then a Muslim has not choice but to obey to Allah aka Muhammad said about himself, so you have their nonsense. There is no way you cant change their minds.
Instead of getting biased and raising foolish exception, did our prophet "started his mission" saying Bible mentions me as a Prophet?

Who were his first audiences? Pagans of Makkah. What did they know of Bible and its prophesies?

And our prophet had not read Bible, neither OT nor NT, he was not able to read and write, and he had no human teacher or tutor.

The Question as to he being prophesized in Jewish and Christian scriptures rose when he fled to Medina and had dealings with Jews and Christians.

It was there that Quran told that He was prophesized by Moses and Jesus. And when we see the OT and NT, we find him being mentioned there!!

So your argument is basically wrong, our prophet did not claim prophethood because he was aware of these "prophesies" in OT and NT.

That was one side of the argument, now you analyze Deut. 18:18 and tell me which prophet God raised that matches the criterion of that verse.

Hint:

That prophet had not come into the word by the time Time of John the Baptist, as Gospel of John chapter 1 verses 1-27 confirm.

This is a good subject and let us hear your views on it.

Location hidden

#176169 May 15, 2013
the profit wrote:
<quoted text>
Please stop musing about what you are not educated about. Thank you.
LOL

I'm afriad he won't stop it. For some arcane reason he thinks to know Science arts better than anyone else but at the same he's not aware of the crap he writes, and keep himself in high esteem.

Well, let him go on with this writing, at least we can have a good laugh.

Location hidden

#176170 May 15, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.

So if you can "prove" that GOB is copied from Dante, what can I say about it.
You need more than this info to "prove" that GOB copied from Dante.
Since GOB is much older in time than Dante. If any one "copied" from GOB, it would be Dante.
Divine Comedy was composed between 1308-1321

The two manuscripts of GOB were composed 16th century AD.

What is the oldest? Besides I gave you the entire version of the similarity between the two books, there are things in there about hell that no found any confirmation from the Bible. Where did GOB got that? Meantime make your Math.

Location hidden

#176171 May 15, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
01. Search your own scripture and find out "all the qualities" of True prophets of God that are mentioned there.
Combine then and make a list, and check and verify as to how many qualities and criterion whom you "believe" to be True prophets fulfill.
This is a time consuming and slow process and needs thorough study of your own scripture.
Some time back I started this discussion with some one on this very thread, but after a couple of exchanges, my correspondent lost interest in the discussion, because he did not study his scripture well.
If you think, you have patience and time for doing it with me, I will be very happy.
But it has to be done is a slow process, one point at a time, not a free for all, moving around the circle type of endless arguments, which are trade marks of these threads,
02. It is not as simple as that , You should have criterion for which book is greatest also.
Fix those criterion and then let us analyze, which is the Greatest book in the world.
Let us be logical and objective and do not deal in hyperbole, should we?
I don't have any scripture so I don't know what you are talking about? Just answer to simple questions, who, where, and when was set the criterion to establish whether or not someone is a true prophet of god.

Location hidden

#176172 May 15, 2013
the profit wrote:
Like the deluge story.

No, people here won't realize that as they are not free thinkers nor do they have made some research about the book they are putting faith in.

Location hidden

#176173 May 15, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Instead of getting biased and raising foolish exception, did our prophet "started his mission" saying Bible mentions me as a Prophet?
Who were his first audiences? Pagans of Makkah. What did they know of Bible and its prophesies?
And our prophet had not read Bible, neither OT nor NT, he was not able to read and write, and he had no human teacher or tutor.
The Question as to he being prophesized in Jewish and Christian scriptures rose when he fled to Medina and had dealings with Jews and Christians.
It was there that Quran told that He was prophesized by Moses and Jesus. And when we see the OT and NT, we find him being mentioned there!!
So your argument is basically wrong, our prophet did not claim prophethood because he was aware of these "prophesies" in OT and NT.
That was one side of the argument, now you analyze Deut. 18:18 and tell me which prophet God raised that matches the criterion of that verse.
Hint:
That prophet had not come into the word by the time Time of John the Baptist, as Gospel of John chapter 1 verses 1-27 confirm.
This is a good subject and let us hear your views on it.
Me and the profit already pointed out it's not Muhammad by analizing the text, and you didn't prove me wrong, you have juust made your interpretation based on Quran claim. What reason do I have to continue to explain simple verses to someone who is obtuse and suffers of delusion?
the profit

Lowell, MA

#176174 May 15, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
Muhammad never even said this about himself. All he said was that he was written about or prophecized in their books, but notice he never says where. Never. Because if he did, people could scrutinize his claim. I read the Quran. Whenever Muhammad was asked any challenging questions, he never answered them and instead threatened them with hell and told them that God has sealed their hearts.

In the story of Jesus, he more than answered their questions. He gave very deep answers that they never expected and he exposed them as the hypocrites they were. THAT'S what a wise man does when asked questions, rather than avoiding them and threatening the questioner.
the profit

Lowell, MA

#176175 May 15, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
I'm afriad he won't stop it. For some arcane reason he thinks to know Science arts better than anyone else but at the same he's not aware of the crap he writes, and keep himself in high esteem.
Well, let him go on with this writing, at least we can have a good laugh.
It's easy to spot a phony, especially when he is claiming to know Physics. If he would have said he knows the science of flipping burgers, I would have believed him. He should have tried that story instead if he was a little smarter.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#176176 May 15, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello, Ignorant Fool!
When you don't know Arabic and are not sure, then do not copy and paste.
The word for Persecution is not "Idtihad", idiot, which you copied and pasted from some
answering-Islam Idiot.
Fitnah means persecution or trial. For example Jesus was under Satan's Fitnah.

My Reply:
I am sure of the meaning in the correct context pertaining to Jihad against those that reject Muhammad.

It is stupid on the part of Muslims to commit Jihad against non-Muslims and expect non-Muslims not to know the reason why Muslims are murdering non-Muslims.

It is Muslims them self that boast that all non-Muslims that reject Muhammad are guilty of transgressions against Muhammad's religion of Islam.
Muslims preach that to the face of non-Muslims that they are guilty of transgressions against the religion of Muhammad's Islam, then Muslims teach to us that lying to non-Muslims is permissible to further the cause in protecting the honoring of Muhammad.

Then on top of that Muslims shove their god Allah out in front as a shield as a protection, using Allah as an excuse, that non-Muslims are ordered by Allah in the Quran to punish non-believers of their god Allah, and his messenger Muhammad.

The Quran is full with orders given to Muhammad by their god Allah to kill those that reject Muhammad's Allah god and his messenger Muhammad.

If the consequence of all that carried out by Muslims was not the lost of life, it would be an amusing comedy unfolding right before our very eyes.

But it is an evil reality that non-Muslims are confronted with.
the profit

Lowell, MA

#176177 May 15, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have any scripture so I don't know what you are talking about? Just answer to simple questions, who, where, and when was set the criterion to establish whether or not someone is a true prophet of god.
They themselves set the criteria so that they can MAKE Muhammad fit the bill. There is no sense of proper reasoning in these people. They invent the rules and then cheer when things work out for them, based on their own rules that they arbitrarily invent for themselves. And they don't even see the problem with this and don't even realize the logical fallacy they commit because nobody has ever even taught them what a logical fallacy even is.

So in their minds, they make perfect sense. But when the Bible gets brought up, all of the sudden they try to use logic and reasoning but completely dump these concepts when it comes to the Quran, and they don't even realize they do this. That's the worst part.

There is no reasoning with these people and there is no such thing as objective thought in their universe. So how can any reasonable conversation ever be had with them? It's impossible and they MAKE it this way and see no problems with this at all. They can't understand the problem with this, as nobody has ever taught them such things, they are only taught the Quran.

Location hidden

#176178 May 15, 2013
uhuh wrote:
"(Faustus said):
You claimed that Moses wrote of Christ, I will be very grateful if you would show me just what he has written. I have searched the Scriptures and found no prophecies of Christ, because there are none. What then, shall we point to? Shall it be that passage which you often quote where the God of Moses said to him,'I will raise up unto them from among their brethren a prophet like you'?
But there are many reasons against our thinking that this refers to Christ;
Christ was not a prophet, nor was He like Moses, for Moses was a man, and Christ is God; Moses was a sinner, and Christ sinless; Moses was born by ordinary birth, and Christ born of a virgin; Moses was put to death on the mountain for offending his God, and Christ suffered voluntarily and the Father was well pleased in Him.
If we were to assert that Christ was a prophet like Moses, the Jews would either deride us as ignorant or pronounce us untruthful.
You surely must acknowledge that the teaching of Jesus is opposed to that of Moses."
- Augustine, contra Faustum
It's curious you have no written the number of book and the verse. Hope you don't mind if I quote what he really has said, Book XVI:2

"2. Since you have proved that Christ declared that Moses wrote of him, I should be very grateful if you would show me what he has written. I have searched the Scriptures, as we are told to do, and have found no prophecies of Christ, either because there are none, or because I could not understand them. The only escape from this perplexity was in one or other of two conclusions. Either this verse must be spurious, or Jesus a liar. As it is not consistent with piety to suppose God a liar, I preferred to attribute falsehood to the writers, rather than to the Author, of truth. Moreover, He Himself tells that those who came before him were thieves and robbers, which applies first of all to Moses. And when, on the occasion of His speaking of His own majesty, and calling Himself the light of the world, the Jews angrily rejoined, "Thou bearest witness of thyself, thy witness is not true," I do not find that He appealed to the prophecies of Moses, as might have been expected. Instead of this, as having no connection with the Jews, and receiving no testimony from their fathers, He replied: "It is written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true. I am one who bear witness of myself, and the Father who sent me beareth witness of me."1 He referred to the voice from heaven which all had heard: "This is my beloved Son, believe Him." I think it likely that if Christ had said that Moses wrote of Him, the ingenious hostility of the Jews would have led them at once to ask what He supposed Moses to have written. The silence of the Jews is a proof that Jesus never made such a statement.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#176179 May 15, 2013
Quotes from the Qur'an and Hadith

on war, violence, infidels, and unbelievers

The terrorist element in Islam may not be shared by most Muslims but it cannot be denied it is a part of Islam and prevalent in countries that have an Islamic government. The radical fundamentalists cannot be ignored or denied as part of this religion, which influence becomes just as much social and political as it is religious. Certainly it is true that not all Muslims are terrorists, however the majority of Terrorists are Muslim.

To compare Christianity or any other religion is like apples and oranges. As Christians we do not practice the Old Testament but the teachings of the New Testament, by Christ and the apostles. so any arguments to try and castigate Christians for doing the same fail miserably.

Recently the Spokesman for the Taliban said,“Those youths who did what they did destroyed America with their airplanes they’ve done a good deed.” He went on to say “THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF YOUTH WHO LOOK FORWARD TO DEATH LIKE THE AMERICANS LOOK FORWARD TO LIVING.”

In the book of Proverbs the God that they say they obey says,“all those who love death hate me.” Just a interesting observation, how do the leaders get his followers to do what he will not.

Surah 2:256 “Let there be no compulsion in Religion.” This would be a rational position if practiced as a standard, however Muslims disallow the Bible (as well as other books of religion) in their countries and do not give people a choice. They do not want to engage in dialogue or allow freedom of choice when they are in control. To present the Bibles Gospel is tantamount to aggression, so one is labeled an infidel, and the use of force can be used to restrain him. The rest of this verse says “Truth stands out Clear from Error: whoever Rejects Evil and believes in Allah hath grasped, the most trustworthy Hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth And knoweth all things.” This verse seems to imply that those who embrace Islam willingly are accepted.

Why is it so hard for Muslim to become a Christian or join with another religion? Mohammed said,“Whoever changes his Islamic religion, kill him.”(Hadith Al Buhkari vol. 9:57) This command is practiced in almost all Islamic Fundamentalist countries today.

While the Qur’an says not to begin with hostilities, and Allah does not love the aggressor, it is not acceptable when Islam is refused. For it teaches not to turn away and bless but “the one who attacks you, you attack him in like manner...whoso defendeth himself after he hath suffered wrong, there is no way (blame) against them.”

Sura 26:227 “Except those who believe, work righteousness, engage much in the remembrance of God, and defend themselves only after they are unjustly attacked. And soon will the unjust assailants know what vicissitudes their affairs will take!”

They present certain verses and ignore others verses that have quite a different tone such as 3:85 “Whoever seeks other than Islam as his religion, it will not be accepted from him, and in the hereafter he will be with the losers”“Slay the idolators [non-Muslims] wherever ye find them, and take them captive, and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush.

Fight against such of those who have been given the Scripture as believe not in Allah nor the last Day…. Go forth, light-armed and heavy-armed, and strive with your wealth and your lives in the way of Allah!(Sura 9:5,29,41).

Location hidden

#176180 May 15, 2013
the profit wrote:
<quoted text>
Muhammad never even said this about himself. All he said was that he was written about or prophecized in their books, but notice he never says where. Never. Because if he did, people could scrutinize his claim. I read the Quran. Whenever Muhammad was asked any challenging questions, he never answered them and instead threatened them with hell and told them that God has sealed their hearts.
In the story of Jesus, he more than answered their questions. He gave very deep answers that they never expected and he exposed them as the hypocrites they were. THAT'S what a wise man does when asked questions, rather than avoiding them and threatening the questioner.
If you read carefully I didn't write that Muhammad has said Deut 18:15-18 speaks about himself.

Also remember that Allah declared that when a believer goes to Muhammad's home for a meal, after finished it they have to go away instead to stay there and having a chat with the prophet.

I do also recollect quite vaguely that if people have to question to Muhammad, they have to wait for the answers instead of pretending all answers soon.(If that is not correct was something along that line)

Quran is a mediocre book, written by mediocre person(s) for a mediocre audience.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#176181 May 15, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite possible. They might have had a prophet, who told them long, long before Abraham. And things changed over centuries.
rabbee: what! none of you ever, heard of Noach, HisFamily, and their talking animal friends?
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#176182 May 15, 2013
the profit wrote:
rabbee: well it also had, American, French, Russian, Chinese, etc., roots too. even as you are watching, the very same thing in TheHappening Today again.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#176183 May 15, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>You don't understand prophet (I think that's what you mean) that the snake was a part of Adams anatomy and what Adam and Eve did was sodomy. Adam was the first and your typical male and in that sense all men have inherited original sin. Satan (Adam) would be punished and executed with a sword mainly for the "crucifixion" which was actually something totally different and unique. Isaiah 27:1. Not only was Eve Adams wife, she was also his daughter and the seed of or second Eve (the Messiah) will conquer both Lucifer (Jesus) and Satan (Adam)
rabbee: well first of all, if it has legs it's a lizard. and can't even remotely be a snake, without losing it's legs. and secondly mr lizard lips, happens to be her grandson from the previous Torot time. and so her crime, is adultery as a result of disbelief in G-D. and sorry if you can't accept, G-D always giving the same story again, with all your lying about it.

and Adam nor adam, are the first alleged as males here on earth. since Noach and HisSon's, and the male talking animals always are the first. This Story always begins with, Noach first. and adam and his mate, never even get here till the near end of ThisStory.

and the woman chaooah, has never been adam's daughter. she is chosen from one of, adam's granddaughters. from the previous Torot time. and for this third time, here in This Torah Happenings. the woman chaooah, has been the exact same irish gal as before sarah. so your are all, of irish incestory.

yeah none of you, ever really expected adam and your grandmother to be here again. in the exact same story. indicating just how wrong, you all are in denial of being here in TheStory again. because your always, pretending to be in some other story that is not from G-D. with all of your lying, perverting your grandmother again.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#176184 May 15, 2013
the profit wrote:
So how come everyone ignores everything that
I have said?
The things I said were clear enough and the questions I asked were clear enough. But its like I never posted them. Should I repeat the same posts?
rabbee: the closer you come, to the truth of G-D. the more you shall be ignored, in this world that has no truth of G-D. and doesn't even, want it. if you are accepted by this corrupt world today, you are doing something wrong against G-D. the righteous have no friends, in this whole world against G-D.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#176185 May 15, 2013
everything you see happening today, is the exact same corrupt things. that were happening, the very last two times that adam and your grandmother of all were both here. because this whole world, does not want to believe in TheG-D of TheTorah here in IT. even more sad is the alleged as jews, want to ignore G-D and being here in TheTorah today.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Archaeology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Airport runway battle heats up in Macon (Mar '09) Aug 15 Curious 31
News Ruby Rose reveals John Wick 2 co-star Keanu Ree... Aug 14 daredevil82 2
News Archaeologists in Serbia Unearth Ancient Spells... Aug 14 srbosjek 2
News Tonga's Nukuleka, the birth place of Polynesia (Jan '08) Aug 11 Faa Samoa 1,978
News Preservation unit under probe - Hawaii News (Aug '09) Jul '16 Georgina 45
Cities’ Identity Through Architecture and Arts ... Jul '16 moabdallah 1
News On This Day: King Tut's Tomb Unsealed (Jan '13) Jul '16 Antonia 4
More from around the web