Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 256361 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

Seeker

Lowell, MA

#175379 May 8, 2013
Wait, whoops, it's 20? Forgot about the last free sweet. Nice puzzle.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#175380 May 8, 2013
20 if the question is how many sweets can he get. 15 would be the answer if we take the question literally as to how many sweets can he BUY.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#175381 May 8, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
If God is love, why are you on here 24/7 promoting hate?
LOL!!! Good one.

But then again, what is the definition for love? Nobody really knows. There are all sorts of definitions for it, and they seem to be whatever someone wants or needs it to be at any given time. What people think is love and sing all sorts of songs about, is actually possession of someone else. MY girlfriend, MY boyfriend, MY lover. People just fool themselves.
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#175382 May 8, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe--I take it that others have the SAME right to strike Israel as a deterrent to a clear threat.
BMZ---Yes, that is correct, HughBe. Good point.

HughBe--- Thanks, BMZ. My point is that fair play and JUSTICE demands it to be so.

I am confident that those so affected will claim that they STRIKE as a deterrent to Israel.

Within the past year, Israel was threatening to bomb Iraq because of it nuclear facilities which Iraq has declared it is for peaceful purposes or energy needs.

In my mind Israel was lucky not to have been BOMBED by Iraq because of a CLEAR and STATED THREAT to its national security. Based on the argument of the poster Iraq could have used the argument of DETERRENCE and self-defence.
Actually, Iran can also threaten to bomb the reactor at Dimona and other suspected targets but Iran has never done that.

Recently North Korea made very strong statements but it was simply ruled off as a rhetoric. No one dares to interfere in China's backyard.

I don't think Israel will dare attack Iranian nuclear assets. It is Israeli government's rhetoric.

HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#175383 May 8, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Iran can also threaten to bomb the reactor at Dimona and other suspected targets but Iran has never done that.
Recently North Korea made very strong statements but it was simply ruled off as a rhetoric. No one dares to interfere in China's backyard.
I don't think Israel will dare attack Iranian nuclear assets. It is Israeli government's rhetoric.
Noted, BMZ. My point remains, what is good for one is good for all. So if it is good for Israel to SAY or do things because of DETERRENCE or rhetoric then Iraq and ALL others MUST have those SAME rights.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#175384 May 8, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
If God is love, why are you on here 24/7 promoting hate?
So crucify me is that what you are saying because I showed how God is love?
So now you want to crucify me.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#175385 May 8, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>So crucify me is that what you are saying because I showed how God is love?
So now you want to crucify me.
But I dont have to crucify you. You crucify yourself every time you post one of your rants.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#175386 May 8, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>

Answer= 21

$15 gives 15 sweets

15 sweets give 15 wrappers / 3= 5 sweets

5 sweets give 5 wrappers/3= 1 sweet
Incorrect answer.

The last time you attempted this question that I'd posted months ago, you came up with 20 sweets as the answer. This, too, is wrong. I'd provided the detailed solution then.

So, once again, here goes.

The correct answer is worked out as follows:

QUESTION:

A dealer said he’d gift 1 sweet in exchange for 3 empty sweet wrappers provided the sweets were purchased from his shop. One sweet costs $ 1. If you have $ 15 with you, how many sweets can you get, in all?

SOLUTION:

Total amount available =$ 15

Cost price of 1 sweet =$ 1

Condition: 1 sweet in exchange for 3 empty sweet wrappers.

Now, with $ 15, you can outright buy 15 sweets @$ 1 per sweet.

With the 15 empty sweet wrappers, you can get in return 15/3 = 5 sweets.

Total sweets: 15 + 5 = 20 sweets.

Then, you proceed to eat the 5 extra sweets and get 5 empty sweet wrappers.

From these 5 empty sweet wrappers, you retain 2 empty sweet wrappers and hand over 3 empty sweet wrappers to the dealer and get 1 sweet in return.

Note, you now have 2 empty wrappers (5 – 3 = 2) plus 1 sweet given to you on returning 3 empty sweet wrappers.

Total sweets till now = 20 + 1 = 21

So, next, you proceed to eat the sweet and add its empty wrapper to the other 2 empty sweet wrappers that you'd previously retained to get a total of 3 empty sweet wrappers which you then hand over to the dealer for an extra sweet.

The dealer gives you an additional (1 sweet) in exchange for the 3 empty sweet wrappers.

Final total of sweets = 20 + 1 + 1 = 22.

Correct answer = 22 sweets.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#175387 May 8, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>

HughBe--I take it that others have the SAME right to strike Israel as a deterrent to a clear threat.

BMZ---Yes, that is correct, HughBe. Good point.

HughBe--- Thanks, BMZ. My point is that fair play and JUSTICE demands it to be so.

I am confident that those so affected will claim that they STRIKE as a deterrent to Israel.

Within the past year, Israel was threatening to bomb Iraq because of it nuclear facilities which Iraq has declared it is for peaceful purposes or energy needs.

In my mind Israel was lucky not to have been BOMBED by Iraq because of a CLEAR and STATED THREAT to its national security. Based on the argument of the poster Iraq could have used the argument of DETERRENCE and self-defence.
Iraq? It should be Iran.

Location hidden

#175388 May 8, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Based upon this weeks events, one thing is sure. Iran is not out of reach from the Israeli air force. And they probably have the US's blessing.

I dont see Iran as much of a threat anymore. They are stupid to throw their eggs into Assads basket, and I think that speaks volumes.

Location hidden

#175389 May 8, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Noted, BMZ. My point remains, what is good for one is good for all. So if it is good for Israel to SAY or do things because of DETERRENCE or rhetoric then Iraq and ALL others MUST have those SAME rights.
Lets talk fair. Has Israel EVER threatened to erase Iran off the map? Has Israel ever threatened use of their nuclear assets? Iran has threatened both.

Location hidden

#175390 May 8, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!! Good one.
But then again, what is the definition for love? Nobody really knows. There are all sorts of definitions for it, and they seem to be whatever someone wants or needs it to be at any given time. What people think is love and sing all sorts of songs about, is actually possession of someone else. MY girlfriend, MY boyfriend, MY lover. People just fool themselves.
http://machinerelations.files.wordpress.com/2...
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#175391 May 8, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say your IQ doesn't look to be over 200 because you have a job from god, but from the answers you give when questioned...
rabbee: well it seems to be, well above your level of comprehenshion. and i do not think, i can write lower than the fifth grade level. in order to meet, this worlds standards. i can't find, my green crayons. and monkies and apes, do not progress pass that of a three year old. do you know how, to converse with a talking ameoba or other talking critters? a minus sign, in front of a high iq is not a complement.

Location hidden

#175392 May 8, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
But I dont have to crucify you. You crucify yourself every time you post one of your rants.
I am already crucified with Jesus, and are resurrected with Him.
“I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me ...”(Galatians 2:20 NET).

“When Christ bids us come and follow, He bids us come and die,” said Bonhoeffer.

The victory in the Christian’s life comes as we die to selfishness and follow Him.

The apostle Paul wrote,“To me, to live is Christ and to die is gain”(Phil. 1:20). Again he wrote,“The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me”(Gal. 2:20).
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#175393 May 8, 2013
JOEL wrote:
JOEL GOES FAR BEYOND NIKOLA TESLA WITH THE ENTIRE IDEA OF THE VIBROMETER WORKED OUT JUST NOW:
(posted a couple of days ago on the Messianic Thread)
How?
1) The VIBROMETER - a device that would have the capacity to revive dead tissue, set right disordered nerve currents, correct irregular cellular rhythms and resurrect the dead.
2) This idea came to me many years ago on account of a certain yogic experience caused by the descent of the higher force into my being. The effects were so pronounced that in that charged condition I observed that whatever I touched or simply glanced at became extra-animated and in the cases of drooping leaves or flowers they revived within seconds.
3) This yogic experience gave me the hint that if this higher force with its electromagnetic (em) manifestation could be directed towards any irregular vibration or towards any organic substance (and towards any inorganic substance) that had lost its functional capacity then a remedy or a revival in the abnormal condition could easily be executed.
4) How could this higher force with its em manifestation be generated in a device posed the biggest challenge to me.
5) One cannot have a yogi connected to an electrical device to keep constantly bringing down the higher force and causing it to enter the circuitry of the device and then in this fully operational condition the charged device would be applied to the tissues, cells, nerves and dead bodies to engineer a regeneration. This would be ridiculous.
So, what is the way out?
7) How can the specific higher force with its concomitant physical vibration be spontaneously generated in a device? I had a rough idea about the method to be employed since years but the details were not in place and I thought that if it's just a matter of discovering and applying the correct frequencies of the electromagnetic force to tissues, nerves, cells and corpses to revive them then, well, the crass materialistic scientists would have achieved grand success by now and would be boasting about it.
8) Then I realized that it was not just a case of discovering the right range of em frequencies but that something subtler which forms the basis of the electromagnetic force would have to be directly connected to the electromagnetic force in its activated form for the correct em frequencies to be generated.
9) Simply studying tissues, nerves, cells and dead bodies in an inferential manner would merely reproduce the outer effects - the range of em frequencies - but would this be complete since the higher force is always at the root of generating the correct frequencies which then manifest as a range of em impulses? So, by simply arriving at a set of em frequencies in lab experiments is insufficient as the entire gamut of frequencies needed would be missing without the activated higher force attached to the frontal em vibrations and so one would fail to achieve success or the success would be very partial and would ultimately not succeed.
10) I was at a loss till today and the solution evaded my mind.
11) Just a few minutes ago, while lying down in bed since the higher force is at present descending into me with pressure, I thought about the vibrometer and in a flash the entire method of engineering the device with the detailed method of generating the higher force and its em counterpart arose in my semi-tranced mind and I tell you it's perfect.
12) EUREKA!!!!
I've discovered how it can be done but am keeping it SECRET for now!
rabbee: what? you can't do this, with your supramental mind over matter? and just when i was, on the verge of nealy coming close to believing you. then you thow in, this element of doubt. just when you thought you were perfect, you blow it with devices.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#175394 May 8, 2013
JOEL wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not a Hindu by birth or by choice.
rabbee: so your mother, isn't a sacred cow? well that! explains a lot.

Location hidden

#175395 May 8, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>I am already crucified with Jesus, and are resurrected with Him.
“I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me ...”(Galatians 2:20 NET).
“When Christ bids us come and follow, He bids us come and die,” said Bonhoeffer.
The victory in the Christian’s life comes as we die to selfishness and follow Him.
The apostle Paul wrote,“To me, to live is Christ and to die is gain”(Phil. 1:20). Again he wrote,“The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me”(Gal. 2:20).
spam

Location hidden

#175396 May 8, 2013
God is Love: How does God Define Love?
The Bible tells us that "God is Love" (1 John 4:8). But how can we even begin to understand that truth? There are many passages in the Bible that give us God's definition of love. The most well known verse is John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." So one way God defines love is in the act of giving. However, what God gave (or should we say, "who" God gave) was not a mere gift-wrapped present; God sacrificed His only Son so that we, who put our faith in His Son, will not spend eternity separated from Him. This is an amazing love, because we are the ones who choose to reject God, yet it's God who mends the separation through His intense personal sacrifice, and all we have to do is accept His gift.

Another great verse about God's love is found in Romans 5:8, "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." In this verse and in John 3:16, we find no conditions placed on God's love for us. God doesn't say, "as soon as you clean up your act, I'll love you; " nor does He say, "I'll sacrifice my Son if you promise to love Me." In fact, in Romans 5:8, we find just the opposite. God wants us to know that His love is unconditional, so He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to die for us while we were still unlovable sinners. We didn't have to get clean, and we didn't have to make any promises to God before we could experience His love. His love for us has always existed, and because of that, He did all the giving and sacrificing long before we were even aware that we needed His love.

God is Love: It's Unconditional
God is Love, and His love is very different from human love. God's love is unconditional, and it's not based on feelings or emotions. He doesn't love us because we're lovable or because we make Him feel good; He loves us because He is love. He created us to have a loving relationship with Him, and He sacrificed His own Son (who also willingly died for us) to restore that relationship.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#175397 May 8, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
We worship the LORD God of Abraham and Jacob. Are we worshipping a heathen deity?
If you can accept the English word God, why can't you accept the Arabic word Allah?
The word Allah is very close to Ellah (El in Hebrew) and I am sure you know that El is not pronounced as the 'el' in 'Hell' or 'Bell' or 'Tell'.
Apparently, bmz, we all worship the same God. I have come across many different claims though, from both Christians and Muslims. The problem lies in what has God said? We all believe something different. The word was written thousands of years before the fact. God is defined as "all knowing" and the word of God will be confirmed when it is fulfilled.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#175398 May 8, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer= 21
$15 gives 15 sweets
15 sweets give 15 wrappers / 3= 5 sweets
5 sweets give 5 wrappers/3= 1 sweet
rabbee: 15 - the hand outs, are not purchases with legal currency. and the last time i checked, candy wrappers are not considered as legal tender dollars.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Archaeology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Safeguarding Islam's ancient past May 12 Tear it down 1
News Men made strange discoveryHere are the top stor... May 7 Dr Reker s Bellhop 1
News Boy finds 5,000-year-old spearhead (Feb '12) May 6 Natgan 3
News Humans in America 100,000 years earlier than pr... May 2 okimar 25
News Harding to open biblical archaeology museum Apr '17 Plunder 5
News Archaeologists Reconstruct Face of Medieval Man... Mar '17 kornadnez 1
News Blackbeard's anchor recovered off coast (May '11) Feb '17 Pretty Pharts 12
More from around the web