Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 250948 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

bmz

Since: Mar 08

Singapore

#174682 May 3, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>You are blind to the knowledge of God.
You worship Muhammad's jinn devil moon god.
Does the Truth have any programme to set you free? I don't think it has.

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/islam/TT8...
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#174683 May 3, 2013
Excerpts from the Gospel of Barnabas, Part-104

Chapter 218 After “Crucifixion”

Then returned each man to his house. He who writes, with John and James his brother, went with the mother of Jesus; to Nazareth;.

Those disciples who did not fear God went by night [and] stole the body of Judas and hid it, spreading a report that Jesus was risen again; whence great confusion arose. The high priest then commanded, under pain of anathema;, that no one should talk of Jesus of Nazareth;. And so there arose a great persecution, and many were stoned and many beaten, and many banished from the land, because they could not hold their peace on such a matter.

The news reached Nazareth how that Jesus, their fellow citizen, having died on the cross was risen again. Whereupon, he that writes; prayed the mother of Jesus; that she would be pleased to leave off weeping, because her son was risen again. Hearing this, the Virgin Mary, weeping, said:'Let us go to Jerusalem to find my son. I shall die content when I have seen him.'

Chapter 219 Jesus descends from the heaven

The Virgin returned to Jerusalem with him who writes, and James and John, on that day on which the decree of the high priest went forth. Whereupon, the Virgin, who feared God, albeit she knew the decree of the high priest to be unjust, commanded those who dwelt with her to forget her son. Then how each one was affected! God who discerns the heart of men knows that between grief at the death of Judas whom we believed to be Jesus our master, and the desire to see him risen again, we, with the mother of Jesus, were consumed.

So the angels that were guardians of Mary ascended to the third heaven;, where Jesus was in the company of angels, and recounted all to him. Wherefore Jesus prayed God that he would give him power to see his mother and his disciples. Then the merciful God commanded his four favourite angels, who are Michael, Gabriel, Rafael;, and Uriel, to bear Jesus into his mother's house, and there keep watch over him for three days continually, suffering him only to be seen by them that believed in his doctrine.

Jesus came, surrounded with splendour, to the room where abode Mary the Virgin with her two sisters, and Martha and Mary Magdalene, and Lazarus, and him who writes, and John and James and Peter. Whereupon, through fear they fell as dead. And Jesus lifted up his mother and the others from the ground, saying:'Fear not, for I am Jesus; and weep not, for I am alive and not dead.'

They remained every one for a long time beside himself at the presence of Jesus, for they altogether believed that Jesus was dead. Then the Virgin, weeping, said:'Tell me, my son, wherefore God, having given you power to raise the dead. suffered you to die, to the shame of your kinsfolk and friends, and to the shame of your doctrine? For every one that loves you has been as dead.'

Note: This might explain various “sightings” of Jesus after alleged crucifixion as recorded in Gospels.-- MUQ

(Unabridged)
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#174684 May 3, 2013
osirica wrote:
So you are admitting that Hebrew was the first language that Arabic copied from.
Thats fine.
Now, here's the most important thing.
Allah/Elohim is
NOT
A
NAME
Its
A
T I T L E
<quoted text>
This is not copying, Arabs are from the same stock of Abraham as Jews are. So they had the same language to start with.

Then over the ages they became different as is normal , when nations live apart from each other.

But there are many commonalities still between them.

Allah of Arabic is same as Eli, El, or ELOHIM of Hebrew and Aramaic. No Jewish prophet would reject the name Allah as such as their modern day followers do with ease and without thinking.

“The Pleasure is all MINE”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#174685 May 3, 2013
That's all fine and dandy,

but Arabic is clearly not the original language of God's word.

So trying to interpret all things from the Quran seems pointless, especially if we are Jewish.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not copying, Arabs are from the same stock of Abraham as Jews are. So they had the same language to start with.
Then over the ages they became different as is normal , when nations live apart from each other.
But there are many commonalities still between them.
Allah of Arabic is same as Eli, El, or ELOHIM of Hebrew and Aramaic. No Jewish prophet would reject the name Allah as such as their modern day followers do with ease and without thinking.
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Singapore

#174686 May 3, 2013
@ Shamma

This is for you from William Lane Craig of the Unreasonable Faith:

http://www.reasonablefaith.org/apologetics-mi...

Get a Ph. D and you will be a colleague of Dr. Bart Ehrman and many others.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#174687 May 3, 2013
EL, ALLAHA & ALLAH - INTERDEPENDENT BABYLONIAN SADISTIC BEINGS:

1) El is not Hebrew.

2) El is a title/word borrowed by the sadistic Hebrew patriarchs from the barbaric Baal-worshipping cults of the ancient cultures that pre-date the Tanakh. YHVH is a morphed form of El.

3) Allaha of Aramaic, Jesus' crazed heavenly father, is the same Babylonian El.

4) Allah is a variant of the title/word El.

5) Both El as well as Allah are demonic beings.

6) El is a bloodthirsty being of pre-Hebrew days, while Allah, a related or the same ferocious being as El, was worshipped by the pre-Islamic Arabs together with 369 gods/beings in the Kaaba.

7) All that this fiend Muhammad did was to chose Allah from the 360 gods/beings that were venerated by the pre-Islamic Arabs and make it (Allah) his only god.
look

Corona, CA

#174688 May 3, 2013
19:33

And peace is on me the day I was born and the day I will die and the day I am raised alive."

why then, are there those that claim Jesus did not die?

Location hidden

#174689 May 3, 2013
lol he said

YHVH is a morphed form of EL

Oh really?

Ok then how does that work?

Please explain how. This is fascinatin.... FASCINATING
JOEL wrote:
EL, ALLAHA & ALLAH - INTERDEPENDENT BABYLONIAN SADISTIC BEINGS:
1) El is not Hebrew.
2) El is a title/word borrowed by the sadistic Hebrew patriarchs from the barbaric Baal-worshipping cults of the ancient cultures that pre-date the Tanakh. YHVH is a morphed form of El.
3) Allaha of Aramaic, Jesus' crazed heavenly father, is the same Babylonian El.
4) Allah is a variant of the title/word El.
5) Both El as well as Allah are demonic beings.
6) El is a bloodthirsty being of pre-Hebrew days, while Allah, a related or the same ferocious being as El, was worshipped by the pre-Islamic Arabs together with 369 gods/beings in the Kaaba.
7) All that this fiend Muhammad did was to chose Allah from the 360 gods/beings that were venerated by the pre-Islamic Arabs and make it (Allah) his only god.

Location hidden

#174690 May 3, 2013
This is a 16th century FORGERY. We went over this already.

And your weak responses were also debunked.
MUQ wrote:
Excerpts from the Gospel of Barnabas, Part-104
Chapter 218 After “Crucifixion”
Then returned each man to his house. He who writes, with John and James his brother, went with the mother of Jesus; to Nazareth;.
Those disciples who did not fear God went by night [and] stole the body of Judas and hid it, spreading a report that Jesus was risen again; whence great confusion arose. The high priest then commanded, under pain of anathema;, that no one should talk of Jesus of Nazareth;. And so there arose a great persecution, and many were stoned and many beaten, and many banished from the land, because they could not hold their peace on such a matter.
The news reached Nazareth how that Jesus, their fellow citizen, having died on the cross was risen again. Whereupon, he that writes; prayed the mother of Jesus; that she would be pleased to leave off weeping, because her son was risen again. Hearing this, the Virgin Mary, weeping, said:'Let us go to Jerusalem to find my son. I shall die content when I have seen him.'
Chapter 219 Jesus descends from the heaven
The Virgin returned to Jerusalem with him who writes, and James and John, on that day on which the decree of the high priest went forth. Whereupon, the Virgin, who feared God, albeit she knew the decree of the high priest to be unjust, commanded those who dwelt with her to forget her son. Then how each one was affected! God who discerns the heart of men knows that between grief at the death of Judas whom we believed to be Jesus our master, and the desire to see him risen again, we, with the mother of Jesus, were consumed.
So the angels that were guardians of Mary ascended to the third heaven;, where Jesus was in the company of angels, and recounted all to him. Wherefore Jesus prayed God that he would give him power to see his mother and his disciples. Then the merciful God commanded his four favourite angels, who are Michael, Gabriel, Rafael;, and Uriel, to bear Jesus into his mother's house, and there keep watch over him for three days continually, suffering him only to be seen by them that believed in his doctrine.
Jesus came, surrounded with splendour, to the room where abode Mary the Virgin with her two sisters, and Martha and Mary Magdalene, and Lazarus, and him who writes, and John and James and Peter. Whereupon, through fear they fell as dead. And Jesus lifted up his mother and the others from the ground, saying:'Fear not, for I am Jesus; and weep not, for I am alive and not dead.'
They remained every one for a long time beside himself at the presence of Jesus, for they altogether believed that Jesus was dead. Then the Virgin, weeping, said:'Tell me, my son, wherefore God, having given you power to raise the dead. suffered you to die, to the shame of your kinsfolk and friends, and to the shame of your doctrine? For every one that loves you has been as dead.'
Note: This might explain various “sightings” of Jesus after alleged crucifixion as recorded in Gospels.-- MUQ
(Unabridged)

Location hidden

#174691 May 3, 2013
Why was Jesus sent to be crucified.

Why does the Quran even quote God saying "Let Us" and "We"?

"Plurality of Majesty" was a concept that didn't exist until the victorian period... 18th century... so THATS not it!
bmz wrote:
Correction, Shamma
Should read:
8. Did Jesus publicly declare, "Hear ye, Israel! Your God is a Trinity"?
Thanks
BMZ
PS: You have still not given us the names of those wretched men, Satan's minions, who told folks this great rubbish that Jesus is God.
uhuh

Madrid, Spain

#174692 May 3, 2013
osirica wrote:
Jesus used it in the New Testament to identify himself, and what did that cause them to do? CRUCIFY HIM.
He SAID it twice. I AM is my name forever. How can Jesus call himself "I AM" and not refer to himself as God?
What in the WORLD got the Jews so angry then? WHY WERE THEY TRYING TO? This JEWISH man was crucified because he WAS saying he was God.
so according to your weak logic,
the reason Jews "killed and crucified many prophets, sages and scribes from Abel to Zechariah" (Matt 23:34) MUST BE because each of them claimed he is God! lol
uhuh

Madrid, Spain

#174693 May 3, 2013
Jesus, supposedly God Himself, NEVER EVER mentioned the Name Y-H-V-H
the scribes could transliterate the Tetragram into Greek if Jesus mentioned it
"ego eimi" is not a Greek translation of "YHVH"
even the blind beggar in John 9:9 said he is "ego eimi"
uhuh

Madrid, Spain

#174694 May 3, 2013
osirica wrote:
ok this thread is over.
No one answered the question
What was Jesus crucified for...
Quran mentions one likely reason,

"Cursed were the unbelievers among Bani Israil by the tongue of Jesus.
That was because they disobeyed and were transgressing; they did not forbid each other from doing sin" (5:78-79)

Location hidden

#174695 May 3, 2013
Nope that is not my logic.

Jews did not kill each prophet for the same reason. And in fact, no Jew killed Abel, and no jew killed Zechariah.

Jews did not exist during the time of Abel

So no YOUR logic is quite stupid and out of touch with my logic
uhuh wrote:
<quoted text>
so according to your weak logic,
the reason Jews "killed and crucified many prophets, sages and scribes from Abel to Zechariah" (Matt 23:34) MUST BE because each of them claimed he is God! lol

Location hidden

#174696 May 3, 2013
Actually it is.

It's simply that in those days, the Hebrew name for God was the only way the name was acknowledged. So by the time the greeks got the Bible,

what did they do? They had to use a different word than "theotokos" so they used "Lord" &#922;&#965;&#961; &#953;&#959;&#962; .

Older fragments of the Septauagint contain the name YHWH.[57] In the P. Ryl. 458 (perhaps the oldest extant Septuagint manuscript) there are blank spaces, leading some scholars to believe that the Tetragrammaton must have been written where these breaks or blank spaces are.

Oooooooooo that was quick and painful wasn't it? you getting debunked. Try again later.
uhuh wrote:
Jesus, supposedly God Himself, NEVER EVER mentioned the Name Y-H-V-H
the scribes could transliterate the Tetragram into Greek if Jesus mentioned it
"ego eimi" is not a Greek translation of "YHVH"
even the blind beggar in John 9:9 said he is "ego eimi"
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#174697 May 3, 2013
Before El's revelation with the name of YHVH, it is said in Genesis 14:18–20 that Abraham accepted the blessing of El, when Melchizedek, the king of Salem and high priest of its deity El Elyon blessed him. One scholarly position is that the identification of Yahweh with &#274;l is late, that YHVH was earlier thought of as only one of many gods, and not normally identified with &#274;l. In some places, especially in Psalm 29, YHVH is clearly envisioned as a storm god, something not true of &#274;l so far as we know (though true of his son, Ba'al).

Location hidden

#174698 May 3, 2013
Nope.

Jesus was accused of a particular crime.

What was the crime.

And this is stupid..

There were "unbelievers" among the Israelites? Really? So the Israelite RELIGIOUS LEADERS... did not BELIEVE IN GOD? And so for that reason, they decided to crucify Jesus for teaching about GOD?

What then were the other priests doing? Like Oh Hillel for example? Twiddling their thumbs?

Jews did not have a problem with athiestic or polytheistic infection in that period.

So no, that puzzle piece doesn't fit either. Try again.

What? Do you think we're too stupid to step back and actually consider the ramifications of your made up excuses???
uhuh wrote:
<quoted text>
Quran mentions one likely reason,
"Cursed were the unbelievers among Bani Israil by the tongue of Jesus.
That was because they disobeyed and were transgressing; they did not forbid each other from doing sin" (5:78-79)
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#174699 May 3, 2013
According to The Oxford Companion to World Mythology:

It seems almost certain that the God of the Jews evolved gradually from the Canaanite El, who was in all likelihood the 'God of Abraham'... If El was the high god of Abraham - Elohim, the prototype of YHVH - Asherah was his wife, and there are archeological indications that she was perceived as such before she was in effect 'divorced' in the context of emerging Judaism of the 7th century BCE.(See 2 Kings 23:15).

Location hidden

#174700 May 3, 2013
And really, relying on the Quran to give an excuse when it's clear we are discussing that the Quran has the facts wrong.

That's really bright.

You remind me of the Mormons and their Book of Mormon.

"The answer is in our book, even though they make no sense they must be true, because well it ssays so in our book"

You guys make me SO glad that I do not follow a religion that is based on "correcting" errors in another religion's holy book.

that is SO fake
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#174701 May 3, 2013
The name Yahweh originally formed part of a title of the Canaanite supreme deity El, el du yahwi &#7779;abaot...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Archaeology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Jul '08) May 22 Joel 13,168
News Giant sphere sparks debate Apr '16 Phyllis Schlafly ... 1
News Did Islam reach France 1,300 years ago? DNA and... Apr '16 Muslim Bounty Hunter 19
News Send in the archaeologists to help restore Palm... Mar '16 Ostreology 1
Stunning 2200-Year-Old Mosaics Discovered in An... Mar '16 west38 1
Identity Through Architecture & Arts (ITAA) Mar '16 moabdallah 1
News The 'first four' and their fight from slavery t... Mar '16 White and Right 1
More from around the web