Who Is Allah?

There are 20 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

bmz

Since: Mar 08

Singapore

#168309 Mar 19, 2013
JOEL wrote:
Just come back from the hospital where I was kept under observation for 24 hours by the doctors. The swelling is less. The force worked to quite an extent to reduce the pain yesterday...resting.
And please make sure you go frequently for regular check up, because no infection should remain there.

That is very important.
bmz

Singapore

#168310 Mar 19, 2013
Shamma wrote:
Give me your million dollars Alex.
Questions for the JW's:
1.What was it that Jesus had said or done that caused the Pharisees to say that He was claiming to be God in John 10:33?
2.What was it about what Jesus said in John 8:58 that caused the Pharisees to want to kill Him?
3.From the New World Translation perspective, what is it about saying, "I have been" (John 8:58) that would motivate the Jews to want to kill Jesus?
4.Do we see any prior account of anyone in the Bible being killed for claiming to pre-exist if Jesus was merely claiming pre-existence?
5.Could you please explain what it was the Pharisees misunderstood and what they were misunderstanding to cause them to say what they did about Jesus' claim?
6.If a JW cannot answer the questions above, then A.Doesn't that mean he doesn't understand the text since he cannot answer the question?
B.If he doesn't understand this text about Jesus, then how can he understand the rest of the Bible since the Bible is about Jesus (John 5:39) and this passage is about Jesus' own teaching?
Jesus claimed He was the Son of God and proved it.
Those are not valid and applicable questions.

All that was written four hundred years later. The Pharisees were not stupid like you Christians.

It is all made up stuff that you read, Shamma.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#168311 Mar 19, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad that you finally recognize humility.
Now you can understand the futility in criticizing people of other religions. The glasshouse-stones thing.
I look forward to your faith-inspired change in behavior on this thread.
The religions have given up killing for their God, but Muslims have not.
And your post you want those that don't kill for their God to allow Muslims to continue to kill Christians for their God.
bmz

Singapore

#168312 Mar 19, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Why bother - you would probably just blow it on booze and blow up dolls anyway.
lol!
bmz

Singapore

#168313 Mar 19, 2013
Shamma wrote:
Give me your million dollars Alex.
Questions for the JW's:
1.What was it that Jesus had said or done that caused the Pharisees to say that He was claiming to be God in John 10:33?
2.What was it about what Jesus said in John 8:58 that caused the Pharisees to want to kill Him?
3.From the New World Translation perspective, what is it about saying, "I have been" (John 8:58) that would motivate the Jews to want to kill Jesus?
4.Do we see any prior account of anyone in the Bible being killed for claiming to pre-exist if Jesus was merely claiming pre-existence?
5.Could you please explain what it was the Pharisees misunderstood and what they were misunderstanding to cause them to say what they did about Jesus' claim?
6.If a JW cannot answer the questions above, then A.Doesn't that mean he doesn't understand the text since he cannot answer the question?
B.If he doesn't understand this text about Jesus, then how can he understand the rest of the Bible since the Bible is about Jesus (John 5:39) and this passage is about Jesus' own teaching?
Jesus claimed He was the Son of God and proved it.
Alex is not a JW.

Location hidden

#168314 Mar 19, 2013
bmz wrote:
@ Shamma
This is a very good extract and it was written by a Christian. You must read it and I tell you, you will love it!
I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ. Gandhi
The church saga admin
"The above quote is one by Mahatma Gandhi that I have recently run across.
It somehow resonated with me, so much so that I bought the bumper sticker!
Now, I am not suggesting that we as Christians are expected to try to be just like Jesus.
No one can live under such a weight of pressure and guilt.
Neither am I defending Gandhi for his religious beliefs.
But at the same time, we cannot simply dismiss someone with such an enormous impact for good.
If we have integrity, we have to be willing to think hard about what he said about Christians.
Phillip Yancey helped me see this in his book The Soul Survivor.
Listen to a story he retells in that book:
Gandhi and Reverend Andrews, a Presbyterian missionary, were walking together in South Africa.
The two suddenly find their way blocked by young thugs.
Reverend Andrews takes one look at the menacing gangsters and decides to run for it.
Gandhi stops him.Doesnt the New Testament say if an enemy strikes you on the right cheek you should offer him the left?
Andrews mumbles that he thought the phrase was used metaphorically.
Im not so sure, Gandhi replies.I suspect he meant you must show courage - be willing to take a blow, several blows, to show you will not strike back nor will you be turned aside.
And when you do that it calls on something in human nature, something that makes his hatred decrease and his respect increase. I think Christ grasped that and I have seen it work.
Hope this does not go way above your head!
I understand that, and Jesus also said do into others as you would have them do to you.
The Golden rule.

Muslims take advantage because Christians have not struck back at the Muslims since this crusades.

You are tickled pink knowing Muslims can kill Christians and they not struck back at Muslims.

You are tickled pink that Christians are fleeing their homelands away from the slaughtering Muslims.

Location hidden

#168315 Mar 19, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Alex is not a JW.
The text proved that Jesus is the Son of God.
And that was it's purpose.

Location hidden

#168316 Mar 19, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
I had written: "Just as Sin entered the world through the 1st Adam, it returned with the so-called 2nd Adam or the Last Adam. He found it, brought back and released it. "
I don't know why have you quoted those self-loathing verses, which were fabricated by others 400 plus years after Jesus was long gone? I can see that Jesus ain't doing that talking!
How are sin and hate related? I know well that you have an absurd thing known as the
Doctrine of Sin but what does your Doctrine of Hate say?
Matthew says you will be hated. John says the world cannot hate you and then says the world hates Jesus.
How do you accept two contradicting statements from the two tale collectors?
So, now I can safely say this:
"And just as Sin had entered the world, hate also entered the world through the Church, her founding fathers, through the gospels, Acts and the letters of NT."
They all bring to lite evil of the Muslims that want to rule over Gods world.
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#168317 Mar 19, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Injustice, like charity, starts at home.
Clean up your own backyard first.
Christians are multitaskers.
Alex123 aka WM

London, UK

#168318 Mar 19, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. One heretic declaring another heretic, heretical.
Brilliant!
Was is heretical or hysterical?!!

Location hidden

#168319 Mar 19, 2013
Alex123 aka WM wrote:
<quoted text>
You are publicly LYING!
Frijoles does NOT support such atrocities. He will be among the first to condemn it.
No TRUE Muslim would ever support the killing of other innocent human beings - black, white, man, woman, gay, straight, christian, jew, hindu or any for that matter!
You are sick or what?
True Muslims are killing every day innocent people.

You think it is hidden that Muhammad made all non-Muslims guilty of sin for rejecting Muhammad.
And because in the eyes of Muslims the guilty should be punished for rejecting Islam.

What do you think that everyone is stupid and don't know that Alex?

Location hidden

#168320 Mar 19, 2013
Alex123 aka WM wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant!
You owe me a million dollars Alex.
Alex123 aka WM

London, UK

#168321 Mar 19, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
Multimurderers- Killing Millions of Jews over 1800 years based upon a FALSE charge of deicide?

Is it ok to STEAL their books, CHANGE them, CREATE a mangod as an insult to all Jews, ACCUSE them of Christ killing, PERSECUTE them, MURDER them in their MILLIONS, almost WIPING THEM OFF planet earth!

Jesus by the way is NOT God but a JEWISH man!

How come you are unable to answer ONE question properly?

What happened to my challenge on Quran of 652AD and your "holy" bible exactly from that year as used by majority of "holy" christians?

Thank you.
Alex123 aka WM

London, UK

#168322 Mar 19, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>You owe me a million dollars Alex.
I am HERE....
ANSWER my question properly...

We are talking about DIRECT claim from Jesus.

Point out to me these exactly...and you shall have your money...
and now you shall have two million dollars with BMZ contributing $1Million.

Please produce PROOF from Jesus saying...

"I am Jesus. I am your God who came to earth in human form as my own son to die for the sins of gentiles on a roman cross so that through belief in my unconditional/loving/willing sacrifice you can have eternal life. Worship me.(Bonus points: Worship and kiss the phallic cross and get your pope to kiss it and carry it with him)"

Thank you Skeptic.

Have you admitted to having made a mistake with your greece and greek yet?
Alex123 aka WM

London, UK

#168323 Mar 19, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
Try tasking this one!!

We are talking about DIRECT claim from Jesus.

Point out to me these exactly...and you shall have your money...
and now you shall have two million dollars with BMZ contributing $1Million.

Please produce PROOF from Jesus saying...

"I am Jesus. I am your God who came to earth in human form as my own son to die for the sins of gentiles on a roman cross so that through belief in my unconditional/loving/willing sacrifice you can have eternal life. Worship me.(Bonus points: Worship and kiss the phallic cross and get your pope to kiss it and carry it with him)"

Thank you.
Eric

Chicago, IL

#168324 Mar 19, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>That is a gay trait instinct of same sex preference.
KIND MUSLIM PARTICIPANTS, PLEASE DON'T TAKE OFFENSE. THIS IS MEANT ONLY FOR SHAMMA:

Shamma, was Muhammad a pedophile?
bmz

Singapore

#168325 Mar 19, 2013
Alex123 aka WM wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant!
They were all hysterical heretics.
bmz

Singapore

#168326 Mar 19, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>The text proved that Jesus is the Son of God.
And that was it's purpose.
The text proved nothing.

If a man said or claimed that he was the son of God, the man must be on recored for saying that.

Likewise, if a man said or claimed that he was God, the man must be on record for saying that.

This is where the silly claim that Jesus claimed, flops and self-destructs!
bmz

Singapore

#168327 Mar 19, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
KIND MUSLIM PARTICIPANTS, PLEASE DON'T TAKE OFFENSE. THIS IS MEANT ONLY FOR SHAMMA:

Shamma, was Muhammad a pedophile?
No worries, Eric. You have already clarifies. We understand the line of questioning.
bmz

Singapore

#168328 Mar 19, 2013
Correction, Eric

Should read:

No worries, Eric. You have already clarified. We understand the line of questioning.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Archaeology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hair Extension Found On Ancient Egyptian Woman 12 hr Akhenaten 1
News Giant Easter Island 'Hats' Rolled Into Place, S... Apr 27 peterw 1
Is Nebuchadnezzar II responsible for the ruins ... Apr 26 Cyler 1
News The History of Human Migration (Feb '13) Apr 21 jake10 2
News "Digging" the Archaeological Study Bible; Curre... (Jan '08) Apr 16 Crazy Talk 12
News Origin of Hindu Brahmins (Aug '08) Apr 14 MUQ2 189
News Ark of the Covenant: 8 Alleged Resting Places (Oct '12) Apr 13 Polaris 60
More from around the web