Lawyer hopes Catholic Church abuse claims will lead to legal change
STV 9 March 2013 18:02 GMT
Cameron Fyfe: Six clients making abuse claims.STV
A leading Scottish solicitor believes a change to the law making it easier for sexual abuse victims to claim compensation could be considered in light of fresh allegations against the Catholic Church.
Cameron Fyfe is acting on behalf of six clients who claim they were abused by priests, two of whom came forward in the weeks since Cardinal Keith O'Brien resigned after admitting sexual misconduct.
It follows reports that bishops in the Scottish Catholic Church knew of 20 allegations of child sex abuse between 1985 and 1995.
Mr Fyfe said: "I'm acting for six clients who allege they were abused by priests, some in the 1980s, some in the 1990s. One we have raised a court action over in the Court of Session and one we're just about to raise a court action over. The other four we're currently investigating.
"Two of the victims were abused in the early 1980s, two towards the end of the 1980s, and two relatively recently in the mid-1990s. Two say they were raped by the priest in question; the others suffered serious sexual abuse.”
Mr Fyfe complained that the “time bar” in Scots law, which gives claimants a set period of time in which they must raise an action, was unfair.
CARDINAL Keith O'Brien ADMITS and apologises for SEXUAL MISCONDUCT.
UK CATHOLIC LEADER (!!!!) who was FORCED to RESIGN early by the POPE ADMITS in statement that his sexual conduct 'fell below standards'
Severin Carrell, Scotland correspondent
The Guardian, Sunday 3 March 2013 20.47 GMT
CARDINAL KEITH O'BRIEN
Cardinal Keith O'Brien, who was forced to resign, has released a statement admitting and apologising for his sexual conduct.
Cardinal Keith O'Brien, who was forced to resign by the pope last week, has made a dramatic admission that he was guilty of sexual misconduct throughout his career in the Roman Catholic church.
In a short but far-reaching statement issued late on Sunday, the 74-year-old stated that "there have been times that my sexual conduct has fallen below the standards expected of me as a priest, archbishop and cardinal".
The former archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh, and UNTIL RECENTLY THE MOST SENIOR CATHOLIC in BRITAIN, apologised and asked for forgiveness from those he had "offended" and from the entire church.
O'Brien was forced to resign last week by Pope Benedict XVI, barely 36 hours after the Observer disclosed that three serving priests and a former priest were accusing him of "inappropriate acts" against them nearly 30 years ago, in a formal complaint to the pope's ambassador to the UK.
The CARDINAL HAD "contested" those allegations (LIAR...LIAR...LIAR!!!), while his officials said he was taking legal advice.
But NOW O'Brien has effectively ADMITTED (LIAR CAUGHT WITH PANTS DOWN!!!!!) he had been breaching the church's strict rules on celibacy and its bar on homosexuality since he became a priest – and during his 10 years as a cardinal.
It was alleged that some of these incidents were "drunken fumblings". One case reported by the Observer involved repeated sexual contact.
On Friday, there were claims that complaints had been made to the nuncio, Archbishop Antonio Mennini, by a fifth priest last year, about an alleged incident in 2001.
Announcing that he would now retire entirely from public life and from the frontline duties for the church he once led, O'Brien said: "In recent days certain allegations which have been made against me have become public. Initially, their anonymous and non-specific nature led me to contest them.
"However, I wish to take this opportunity to admit that there have been times that my sexual conduct has fallen below the standards expected of me as a priest, archbishop and cardinal.