Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 253544 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#166432 Mar 9, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
No one has claimed to an expert translator. The problem with you is that you have no knowledge of Hebrew, Aramaic and te non-scriptural language Greek.
Hebrew, Aramaic and Arabic are very close. Idioms, figuratives, etc are strikingly similar. And that is why we can easily understand the context and true meanings of Jewish Scripture, without even knowing Hebrew.
By the way, there are many words, which are common among Hebrew, Aramaic and Arabic but there is nothing common between Hebrew and Greek.
We just want you to try and compare different translations and try to detect wrong insertions, forgeries, etc.
I am still waiting, now days, for a definition of a "non-scriptural language". You make up stuff thinking you are some kind of expert on "scriptural language". So, far I am not impressed; you need to try harder.
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#166433 Mar 9, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
No!
Stop lying, please. The guards did not see Jesus rise!
That is a lie. Please quote the verses from the Gospel of Gotham or Gospel of Aesop, if you have.
There is no gospel of gothan or aesop; shows how little you know about the Holy Bible.
John

North Lakes, Australia

#166434 Mar 9, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether the word comes from Swahili or Greek or Zulu, does not matter.
The point is that the Jews recited their Scripture in Hebrew. The Septuagint had no place in any synagogue, be it in Timbuktu or an Ulu.
The Jews do not accept Septuagint. They stay miles away from it and do not even touch it or read from it. It is a very poor and an unauthorized translation of their Scriptures in a non-scriptural language.
The point blockhead us that the Hellenised Jews of the time of Jesus SPOKE GREEK.
Duh.
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Singapore

#166435 Mar 9, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>The whole Torah is about the Messiah.
The Jews are still waiting for a Messiah.
Your replays are based on the evil satanic worship of evil.
You have no soul, are you a jinn?
No, the entire Torah is not about any messiah. The word Messiah cannot be found in the Torah.

Can you show me the word Messiah in the Torah? No, you can't, not even the entire Church machinery.

Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#166436 Mar 9, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the entire Torah is not about any messiah. The word Messiah cannot be found in the Torah.
Can you show me the word Messiah in the Torah? No, you can't, not even the entire Church machinery.
Jesus opened the Scriptures to His diciples on the road to Emmaus. It is not suprising you don't see the Messiah, Jesus, in there; since as the Jews you have not the Holy Spirit to open your eyes; so that you may see.
bmz

Singapore

#166437 Mar 9, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
I am still waiting, now days, for a definition of a "non-scriptural language". You make up stuff thinking you are some kind of expert on "scriptural language". So, far I am not impressed; you need to try harder.
I know it takes you months to understand a single sentence. I will try again:

Torah, the Scripture..........in Hebrew

Qur'aan, the Scripture..........in Arabic

So, those two can be called Scriptural languages, since the Scripture was revealed in them.

Now to Gospels, which were not revealed..........written in Greek.

So, I call Greek a non-scriptural language as no Scripture was revealed by God in that language.

Q. E. D
bmz

Singapore

#166438 Mar 9, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus opened the Scriptures to His diciples on the road to Emmaus. It is not suprising you don't see the Messiah, Jesus, in there; since as the Jews you have not the Holy Spirit to open your eyes; so that you may see.
Show me the word Messiah in the Torah. Ask the Holy Spirit to search for you and reveal that to you.
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#166439 Mar 9, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
So, those two can be called Scriptural languages, since the Scripture was revealed in them.
So, I call Greek a non-scriptural language as no Scripture was revealed by God in that language.
Q. E. D
God used Greek to spread His message throughout the known world. St Paul - apostle, prophet and messenger to the gentiles - used Greek. Greek is a sciptural language, and since you are not a expert of scriptural language you can not just make up your own definition and think everyone will accept it. What scholars accept your definition of a scriptural language; a few links will do just fine, thank you.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#166440 Mar 9, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether the word comes from Swahili or Greek or Zulu, does not matter.
The point is that the Jews recited their Scripture in Hebrew. The Septuagint had no place in any synagogue, be it in Timbuktu or an Ulu.
The Jews do not accept Septuagint. They stay miles away from it and do not even touch it or read from it. It is a very poor and an unauthorized translation of their Scriptures in a non-scriptural language.
You make things up in your mind without facts to back up post.

How Hellenized was the Jewish religious culture of the time?

Jewish culture and civilization during the Hellenistic period was in intense dialogue with Hellenistic culture and civilization, beginning with the translation of Hebrew scriptures into Greek, a translation which survives and which we know as the Septuagint. That's certainly an example of the way in which Greek literary forms and Greek language impacted Jewish civilization and literary traditions. That impact extends far beyond scripture, and we see during the Hellenistic period Jews adopting literary forms of the Greek tradition, and writing plays, epic poems, lyric poems, all in the Greek language. Much of this activity would have centered in Alexandria, the capital of Egypt, but there was similar activity going on in Palestine, and some of these literary products that survive in some cases only in fragments, were probably written in Palestine, by Jews who were adopting these Hellenistic literary modes.

PHILO

Who was Philo and what did he do?

Philo was an example of the intense Hellenization of Judaism. He was a philosopher and scriptural interpreter who lived in Alexandria from around 30 B.C. to around 40 of the Common Era. He tried to effect a synthesis between scripture and Platonic philosophy. For instance, in saying that the word of God that we encounter in scripture is the logos or the divine reason, by which he meant a combination of the ideas, Plato's ideas, which by that time were conceived by philosophers as being in the mind of God. And also at the same time the immanent rationality of the world, taking over a Stoic idea that reason constitutes the inner working of the world.
You no nothing, you post lies.
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#166441 Mar 9, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Q. E. D
The quran is not scripture. It is hard to say what the quran is. Some claim it was dictated by mohammad but there is no copy of this dictation. Some muslims, after mohammad was poisoned and died, wrote the koran and had all other versions of the koran burnt. There is documentation by muslims that the original koran contained verses where mohammmad asked the people to pray to allah's three goddess daughters.
uhuh

Spain

#166442 Mar 9, 2013
Shamma wrote:
"only Peter, James and John witnessed Jesus' transfiguration and him talking to Moses and Elijah; the apostle John should've mentioned this important event"

John did in John 1:14
being one of only three witnesses of the "transfiguration", the apostle John would've related his extraordinary experience,
more than just a vague reference, "We beheld his glory as of the only begotten of a father" (John 1:14)

one of many reasons why the overwhelming majority of scholars concur that this 4th Gospel did not in fact come from the apostle John, but from an impostor "John"

Location hidden

#166443 Mar 9, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me the word Messiah in the Torah. Ask the Holy Spirit to search for you and reveal that to you.
Mashiach: The Messiah

• The idea of mashiach (messiah) is an ancient one in Judaism
• The Jewish idea of mashiach is a great human leader like King David, not a savior
• There is much speculation about when the mashiach will come
• The Bible identifies several tasks that the mashiach will accomplish

I believe with perfect faith in the coming of the mashiach, and though he may tarry, still I await him every day.
- Principle 12 of Rambam's 13 Principles of Faith

The Messianic Idea in Judaism

Belief in the eventual coming of the mashiach is a basic and fundamental part of traditional Judaism. It is part of Rambam's 13 Principles of Faith, the minimum requirements of Jewish belief. In the Shemoneh Esrei prayer, recited three times daily, we pray for all of the elements of the coming of the mashiach: ingathering of the exiles; restoration of the religious courts of justice; an end of wickedness, sin and heresy; reward to the righteous; rebuilding of Jerusalem; restoration of the line of King David; and restoration of Temple service.

Modern scholars suggest that the messianic concept was introduced later in the history of Judaism, during the age of the prophets. They note that the messianic concept is not explicitly mentioned anywhere in the Torah (the first five books of the Bible).

However, traditional Judaism maintains that the messianic idea has always been a part of Judaism. The mashiach is not mentioned explicitly in the Torah, because the Torah was written in terms that all people could understand, and the abstract concept of a distant, spiritual, future reward was beyond the comprehension of some people. However, the Torah contains several references to "the End of Days" (acharit ha-yamim), which is the time of the mashiach; thus, the concept of mashiach was known in the most ancient times.

The term "mashiach" literally means "the anointed one," and refers to the ancient practice of anointing kings with oil when they took the throne. The mashiach is the one who will be anointed as king in the End of Days.

Jesus was anointed by God to be the King of Jews.
Jesus is referred to in Scripture as "King of Kings, Lord of Lords".

You post like you are trained in the knowledge of the Scriptures, but you are not.

You are ignorant of Scripture.

You express that just because you are Muslim, non-Muslims must accept your lies.

You live in a Muslim fantasy world.

Location hidden

#166444 Mar 9, 2013
uhuh wrote:
<quoted text>
being one of only three witnesses of the "transfiguration", the apostle John would've related his extraordinary experience,
more than just a vague reference, "We beheld his glory as of the only begotten of a father" (John 1:14)
one of many reasons why the overwhelming majority of scholars concur that this 4th Gospel did not in fact come from the apostle John, but from an impostor "John"
You are bull-shit "uhuh" that is your own post faking my name on it.

Are you a Muslim jinn "uhuh".
Are you sent sent by your moon god allah to cause confusion?
Be truthful if you can Muslim.

Location hidden

#166445 Mar 9, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Q. E. D
Your description is meaning less.
It seems you don't have the intelligence to understand God gave Scripture so that all languages can understand Gods words.

The Gospels freed man from likes of you, that hold yourself as king and we are your subjects and must believe your bull-shit.

Glory to God we are free from the bond of liars like you.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#166446 Mar 9, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Q. E. D
Which god has revealed which revelation?

Do you really think that god, if ever existed, would humiliate itself so much by sending down flaw books like Torah, Quran and NT?

According to Quran god sent messengers to all the nations, and the hadiths say they were 144000 or something. This means Greek is a scriptural language, and that you contradict the Quran, as always.

It would be silly to suggest only Arabs and Hebrews have recorded the "revelations" in their language.

The only thing you can say is the Torah or Tanakh was not revealed in Greek.
Christian

Punchbowl, Australia

#166447 Mar 9, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
Muslims are brainwashed people and Quran is a joke.
I don't understand why if someone critics a religion then the believer has to reverse the discourse against one of the antagonistic religions.
At the end of the day no matter what your belief is, believers are all in the same plain.
In the so called holy Bible you don't find WRITTEN any story of Lucifer disobeying to God and being the cause of the origin of sin. Don't make things up.
You have never studied the Bible so you wouldn't know.

I can tell you that Islam and all the other religions are all false. They offer no salvation from hell.

Only Jesus can save a person from hell.

Everyone who doesn't believe in Jesus is going to burn in hell.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#166448 Mar 9, 2013
Christian wrote:
<quoted text>You have never studied the Bible so you wouldn't know.
I can tell you that Islam and all the other religions are all false. They offer no salvation from hell.
I don't waste my time with those kind of books, but I admit I read it.

Depite all the arguings between you and them trying to push the other religion down and promote one's own, Christians and Muslims are not that different. You believe that all the other religions are false and who doesn't believe in the Nazarene is going to burn in hell. Muslims believe that Islam is the only true religion of god and who doesn't believe in Muhammad is going to burn in hell.

Ironic, isn't it.
bmz

Singapore

#166449 Mar 9, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>
Mashiach: The Messiah
• The idea of mashiach (messiah) is an ancient one in Judaism
• The Jewish idea of mashiach is a great human leader like King David, not a savior
• There is much speculation about when the mashiach will come
• The Bible identifies several tasks that the mashiach will accomplish
I believe with perfect faith in the coming of the mashiach, and though he may tarry, still I await him every day.
- Principle 12 of Rambam's 13 Principles of Faith
The Messianic Idea in Judaism
Belief in the eventual coming of the mashiach is a basic and fundamental part of traditional Judaism. It is part of Rambam's 13 Principles of Faith, the minimum requirements of Jewish belief. In the Shemoneh Esrei prayer, recited three times daily, we pray for all of the elements of the coming of the mashiach: ingathering of the exiles; restoration of the religious courts of justice; an end of wickedness, sin and heresy; reward to the righteous; rebuilding of Jerusalem; restoration of the line of King David; and restoration of Temple service.
Modern scholars suggest that the messianic concept was introduced later in the history of Judaism, during the age of the prophets. They note that the messianic concept is not explicitly mentioned anywhere in the Torah (the first five books of the Bible).
However, traditional Judaism maintains that the messianic idea has always been a part of Judaism. The mashiach is not mentioned explicitly in the Torah, because the Torah was written in terms that all people could understand, and the abstract concept of a distant, spiritual, future reward was beyond the comprehension of some people. However, the Torah contains several references to "the End of Days" (acharit ha-yamim), which is the time of the mashiach; thus, the concept of mashiach was known in the most ancient times.
The term "mashiach" literally means "the anointed one," and refers to the ancient practice of anointing kings with oil when they took the throne. The mashiach is the one who will be anointed as king in the End of Days.
Jesus was anointed by God to be the King of Jews.
Jesus is referred to in Scripture as "King of Kings, Lord of Lords".
You post like you are trained in the knowledge of the Scriptures, but you are not.
You are ignorant of Scripture.
You express that just because you are Muslim, non-Muslims must accept your lies.
You live in a Muslim fantasy world.
Why did you unload that rubbish? Was it necessary to litter the precious bandwidth?

I had just asked this:

Just show me the word Messiah in the Torah.

Jesus, for the Church, was an unbranded 'Can of Stuff'. They put every label they could think of but that in my humble view is Horse Shit.
bmz

Singapore

#166450 Mar 9, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>Your description is meaning less.

It seems you don't have the intelligence to understand God gave Scripture so that all languages can understand Gods words.

The Gospels freed man from likes of you, that hold yourself as king and we are your subjects and must believe your bull-shit.

Glory to God we are free from the bond of liars like you.
Gospels freed man? You are crazy.

Gospels are like a drug store and turn an intelligent person into a drugged fool, who gets brainwashed with all absurdities and is unable to differentiate between right and wrong, and between truth and lies.

God's words cannot be full of hocus pocus and absurdities that fill the gospels. It was through these ridiculous books that Jesus was turned into a Moan God or a Man God.
bmz

Singapore

#166451 Mar 9, 2013
Christian wrote:
<quoted text>You have never studied the Bible so you wouldn't know.
Please spare us the Horse Shit that only Jesus can save a person from hell. That is rubbish.

The man could not even save himself, so how can he save others? Jesus is no bloody savior, only the LORD Almighty is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Archaeology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Preservation unit under probe - Hawaii News (Aug '09) Tue Georgina 45
Cities’ Identity Through Architecture and Arts ... Jul 23 moabdallah 1
News On This Day: King Tut's Tomb Unsealed (Jan '13) Jul 23 Antonia 4
News Tonga's Nukuleka, the birth place of Polynesia (Jan '08) Jul 5 Silencer 1,974
News Ruby Rose reveals John Wick 2 co-star Keanu Ree... Jul 4 Anna Romanovskaja 1
News Origin of Hindu Brahmins (Aug '08) Jun '16 MUQ2 194
News If Captain Cook's ship is found, whose is it? R... Jun '16 Hostis Publicus 24
More from around the web