Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 256291 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

bmz

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#165440 Feb 28, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
How does bowing down to mecca, kissing a stone or worshiping mohammad save you?
What has this silly question got to do with what I wrote? I wrote this:

" You had said that he died for your sins and crimes."

I just want to know what were your sins and crimes that you committed, that the poor man had to pay for your crimes through his nose and throat. He even lost his loin cloth and was left naked.

His garments were shared. Right?
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#165441 Feb 28, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
What has this silly question got to do with what I wrote? I wrote this:
" You had said that he died for your sins and crimes."
I just want to know what were your sins and crimes that you committed, that the poor man had to pay for your crimes through his nose and throat. He even lost his loin cloth and was left naked.
His garments were shared. Right?
By Jesus' death and resurrection He reconciled us to God, opened the gates of heaven, made it possible for us to become adopted children of God and heirs to the Kingdom of Heaven. How does bowing down to mecca, kissing a stone or worshiping mohammad save you? How does flying to mecca and walking around a giant cube save you?
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#165442 Feb 28, 2013
thennian wrote:
either that or Mormon I guess..
You are better off with being a mormon. They do have family values and do not have to say the Holy Bible is corrupt to validate their book of mormon. Also, the original Golden Tablets are in Heaven and not lost to decay as the original koran was.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#165443 Feb 28, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
God is not a person. No one has seen God. God is the LORD of the Universe and the Creator.
For us, it is: "There is only one God Almighty"
For you, it is: "There is only one Godhead."
Now, write the following line fifty times:
"There is only one God."
Can you write that?
But you know nothing about your God.
So it wouldn't be wrong to imply that your God is Muhammad since Muhammad is the father of Islam.

Location hidden

#165444 Feb 28, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
You volunteered the what if, not me.
Of course I questioned your characterizations, they have no evidentiary basis. Just because your "Bible" says so, is not objective evidence.
None of that has anything to do with moral foundations. I didnt say you were a bad person, or that you acted evil. Though I suppose lying could be construed as bad moral behavior.
Dont call me ignorant. I am not the one who can not prove the veracity of my theosophical statements.
You certainty are confused.
You questioned the moral fabricate of Gods character as whether God is love.
Love is based on the goodness of God, and you implied that Gods love could be hate instead of love.
So you questioned the moral fabricate of Gods moral character.

Location hidden

#165445 Feb 28, 2013
An historical record of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ:
http://www.bibleone.net/print_SF9.html

Location hidden

#165446 Feb 28, 2013
Did Jesus Christ claim to be God, and if so, what is the significance of this fact?

Among religious leaders who have had significant impact on earth, Jesus Christ alone claimed to be God in human flesh.[Please note that this writer does not consider Christianity to be a “religion,” rather he sees it strictly as a “union” or “relationship” with the person of Jesus Christ; for “religion” implies meritorious works in order to achieve the approbation or approval of God, whereas, in Christianity this is achieved only “by grace through faith” in Jesus Christ] In all major religions the teachings—not the teacher—are all-important. Islam stresses the revelation of Allah, not Muhammad who is only a prophet. Buddhism emphasizes the principles of the Buddha and not Buddha himself. The same is true of Confucianism and Hinduism (which has no one single identifiable founder).

In Christianity the person of Jesus Christ is preeminent over any of its teachings. It is not that the teachings of Christ are unimportant, but the identity and nature of Jesus was and is vastly more important. The center of Christianity is the person of Jesus Christ. The claims of Jesus Christ are many and varied, as follows:

He existed before Abraham (John 8:58)
He was equal with God the Father (John 5:17, 18; Philippians 2:6-11; Colossians 2:9)
He was the image of God (Colossians 1:15; Hebrews 1:3)
He could forgive sins, which only God can do (Mark 2:5-7; Isaiah 43:25)
He is the Creator of the universe (John 1:3; Colossians 1:16, 17)
He is the Sustainer of the universe (Colossians 1:17; Hebrews 1:3)
He claimed to be and was declared to be God manifest in the flesh (John 1:1, 14; 8:19; 10:25-33; Titus 2:13; Hebrews 1:8; 1 Timothy 3:16; 1 John 5:20)
He claimed that to see Him was to see God the Father (John 14:8, 9)
He received worship, homage reserved only for God (John 4:20-24; Acts 8:27; Matthew 4:10; Luke 4:8; Matthew 8:2; John 9:35-39; Matthew 14:33)

Jesus Christ and Jehovah of the Old Testament shared the following titles and actions:

ü Creator Isaiah 40:28—John 1:3

ü Savior Isaiah 43:11; 45:22—John 4:42

ü Raise the dead 1 Samuel 2:6—John 5:21

ü Judge Joel 3:12—John 5:27; Matthew 25:31-46

ü Light Isaiah 60:19, 20—John 8:12

ü“I AM” Exodus 3:14—John 8:58; 18:5, 6

ü Shepherd Psalm 23:1—John 10:11

ü Glory of God Isaiah 42:8; 48:11—John 17:1, 5

ü First and Last Isaiah 41:4; 44:6—Revelation 1:17; 2:8

ü Redeemer Hosea 13:14—Revelation 5:9

ü Bridegroom Isaiah 62:5; Hosea 2:16—Revelation 21:2

ü Rock Psalm 18:2—1 Corinthians 10:4

ü Forgiver of sins Jeremiah 31:34—Mark 2:7, 10

ü Worshipped by angels Psalm 148:2—Hebrews 1:6

ü Addressed in prayer Copious OT references—Acts 7:59

ü Creator of angels Psalm 148:5—Colossians 1:16

ü Confessed as Lord Isaiah 45:23—Philippians 2:11

Location hidden

#165447 Feb 28, 2013
The Christian record is by far the most documented series of historic events of all time with existing early manuscripts exceeding 24,000—the earliest being written within 25 years of the death of Christ, this in spite of concerted efforts since His death to eradicate all such records. These documents (manuscripts) were passed on down through the centuries by skilled scribes who followed a set of extremely exacting set of rules designed to insure transmissions of sacred documents without error.

Although critics of the Bible attempt to cast doubt on it by saying it was under the control of the Roman Catholic Church, which supposedly had “opportunity and motive” to change Scripture to meet its purpose,” there are two indisputable sets of records that mankind has in its possession today that were not historically controlled by the Christian church and which verify the authenticity of the message contained in the words of the Bible of today—the Septuagint and the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Rapid growth of believers

The truth and life of Christ has caused the rapid formation of an enormous body of believers that has survived the most focused and intensive persecution of all time.

Non-Christian evidence

Non-Christian historians and writers have recorded facts about Jesus Christ, His disciples, and the resurrection—Thallus (circa A.D. 52); Josephus (circa A.D. 64-93); Cornelius Tacitus (A.D. 64-116); Pliny the Younger (circa A.D. 112); Hadrian (circa A.D. 117-138); Suetonius (circa A.D. 120); Phlegon (circa A.D. 140); Lucian of Samosata (circa A.D. 170); and Mara Bar-Serapion (circa A.D. 70)

Disciples’ martyrdom

Eleven of Christ’s disciples, who certainly knew the truth of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, willingly and even joyfully died in support of these historical (actual) events. Martyrdom for a belief is not unique, but what kind of person would die for a known lie? The answer is only someone who is insane, which may be true of one or possible two of this group, if one wished to argue the points, but would certainly be most reasonably untrue of all eleven. For them to continue lying, if in fact Christ did not rise from the dead, would serve no purpose since Jesus’ ministry would then be moot. Yet history records that they willingly died cruel deaths for their beliefs via stoning, crucifixion, beheading, and other brutal methods.

Historical martyrdom

Underneath Rome lie some 900 miles of carved caves where over seven million Christians, executed for their beliefs, were buried. Other believers hid and worshiped in these caves during the height of Christian persecution. The earliest known inscriptions in the walls were dated A.D. 70. Some early occupants probably communicated directly with eyewitnesses of Jesus. Since about A.D. 400, the Catacombs were buried and “forgotten” for over 1000 years.

In 1578 they were rediscovered by accident. Today they can be seen as silent memorials to many who died rather than curse Jesus or bow down to an emperor’s statue. Christian martyrs differed greatly from other world martyrs in that historical facts were the foundation of their beliefs—facts verifiable at the time—not just ideas.(What Is the Proof for the Resurrection by Ralph O. Muncaster)

Jewish record
Even those who were violently opposed to Jesus provide historical evidence, including hundreds of prophecies, prophetic feasts, and references in writings such as the Talmud.

Location hidden

#165448 Feb 28, 2013
Archaeology

Evidence that the people in Jesus’ time believed in the resurrection is found on caskets of bones (ossuaries) discovered in a sealed tomb outside Jerusalem in 1945. Coins minted in about A.D. 50 were found inside the caskets, dating the burial within about 20 years of Jesus’ crucifixion. Markings are clearly legible, including several statements reflecting knowledge of Jesus’ ability to overcome death. Examples of writings (in Greek) of hope for deceased loved ones include:“Jesus, Help” and “Jesus, Let Him Arise.” The caskets also contain several crosses, clearly marked in charcoal. This is powerful evidence that early Christians believed in Jesus’ ability to triumph over death. It also ties the idea of victory over death to the cross.(What Is the Proof for the Resurrection by Ralph O. Muncaster)

Aren’t there contradictions in the resurrection story of Jesus Christ?

Skeptics like to point out apparent differences as being “contradictions” in the four Gospel narratives pertaining to the resurrection of Jesus Christ. But these differences ultimately confirm the truthfulness of these accounts, rather than refute them. If all four Gospel accounts gave verbatim the details of the resurrection, immediate suspicion would arise as to collusion (conspiracy and complicity) regarding the matter.

The truth is that none of the four Gospel accounts gives all the details of what transpired. Regarding any event of history personally observed and recorded by four witnesses, no series of records would produce “eye-witness” accounts exactly the same, detail for detail. One would highlight specific elements of the occurrence, leaving out others; whereas another would recall and emphasize others facets of the event.

A close examination of each Gospel account of the resurrection of Jesus Christ reveal that none of the details contradict any others but indeed they correlate together to supply the larger picture. The variations the Gospel writers chose to include in their resurrection narratives consist of details that in no way jeopardize the overall story.

One of the seeming contradictions that bother people concerns the time the women came to the tomb, related differently by John and Mark. Mark’s account has the women coming to the tomb at the rising of the sun, while John states that Mary Magdalene came to the tomb when it was dark.

This difficulty is solved when it is realized that the women had to walk quite some distance to the reach the grave, since they stayed in Jerusalem or Bethany. It was dark when they left the place in which they were staying, but when they arrived at the tomb the sun was beginning to shine. Therefore, Mark is speaking of their arrival, while John refers to their departure.

The area which has generated the most discussion concerns the angels who were at the tomb of Jesus. Matthew and Mark relate that one angel addressed the women, while Luke and John say that two angels were at the tomb....[This does not contradict because] one of the angels served as the spokesman for the two .... There is no need to assume a discrepancy.

Though they report some of the details differently, the Gospels agree in all important points.(Answers to Tough Questions Skeptics Ask About the Christian Faith by Josh McDowell and Don Stewart, Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., 1980)

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#165449 Feb 28, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>You certainty are confused.
You questioned the moral fabricate of Gods character as whether God is love.
Love is based on the goodness of God, and you implied that Gods love could be hate instead of love.
So you questioned the moral fabricate of Gods moral character.
But I dont believe in the same God that you dont believe in, so without a common framework, the truthiness of your statements are worthless.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#165450 Feb 28, 2013
Shamma wrote:
Even those who were violently opposed to Jesus provide historical evidence, including hundreds of prophecies, prophetic feasts, and references in writings such as the Talmud.
I suppose 5 or so references to a Jesus in the Talmud could be construed as hundreds...

...by an ignoramus
Christian

Punchbowl, Australia

#165451 Feb 28, 2013
Alex123 aka WM wrote:
<quoted text>
You posts full of hate tells me a lot about your ignorance of scriptures and Jesus.
Explain the trinity to me...
Jesus went away so that the holy G could come here.... which also means Jesus never had holy G with him!
Here it is again....find me proof from the synoptic gospels to challenge my claims:
We know about Jesus the Jew who came ONLY for the Jews.
I was a "Christian" working with some very highly placed people who were incidentally NOT pedos.
Jesus NEVER claimed divinity. Come on challenge me with REAL scriptures using synoptic gospels.
Go for it...
I cannot prove anything to you while you languish in ignorance.

If you really wanted to know the truth, you would need to study the Holy Bible.

Jesus is the truth, He said so Himself. He said, I am the truth, the way and the life. No Man comes to the Father but by Me.

Notice He, He clearly sated that He is the only way a Man can come to the Father.

The things of God are foolishness to those who are perishing, so if you find the word of God foolishness it means that you are on the road to hell.

You cannot grasp the concept of a Triune God, The Father, Son and the Holy Spirit because it hasn't been given to you to understand. God will not reveal the truth to any proud and sinful man.

Unless you repent and turn form your sins and follow Jesus, you will by no means enter Heaven.

Mohammed was just another ordinary evil criminal, who murdered hundreds of people and he was also a thief and a fornicator. He has no power to save anyone.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#165452 Feb 28, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>

How did it become into existence, since total consciousnesses is emptiness?
Total consciousness? What's that? LOL.

Consciousness is always unified with its energy component to such an undifferentiated extent that consciousness and energy constitue the obverse and reverse sides of the reality and so this explains how an ordered universe with material structure arose through an act of self-manifestation by the unified field of consciousness-energy via an inherent causal mechanism.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#165453 Feb 28, 2013
Consciousnes and Energy that form a unified field of Consciousness-Energy can neither be created nor destroyed.
bmz

Location hidden

#165454 Feb 28, 2013
Shamma wrote:
Did Jesus Christ claim to be God, and if so, what is the significance of this fact?
Among religious leaders who have had significant impact on earth, Jesus Christ alone claimed to be God in human flesh.[Please note that this writer does not consider Christianity to be a “religion,” rather he sees it strictly as a “union” or “relationship” with the person of Jesus Christ; for “religion” implies meritorious works in order to achieve the approbation or approval of God, whereas, in Christianity this is achieved only “by grace through faith” in Jesus Christ] In all major religions the teachings—not the teacher—are all-important. Islam stresses the revelation of Allah, not Muhammad who is only a prophet. Buddhism emphasizes the principles of the Buddha and not Buddha himself. The same is true of Confucianism and Hinduism (which has no one single identifiable founder).
In Christianity the person of Jesus Christ is preeminent over any of its teachings. It is not that the teachings of Christ are unimportant, but the identity and nature of Jesus was and is vastly more important. The center of Christianity is the person of Jesus Christ. The claims of Jesus Christ are many and varied, as follows:
He existed before Abraham (John 8:58)
He was equal with God the Father (John 5:17, 18; Philippians 2:6-11; Colossians 2:9)
He was the image of God (Colossians 1:15; Hebrews 1:3)
He could forgive sins, which only God can do (Mark 2:5-7; Isaiah 43:25)
He is the Creator of the universe (John 1:3; Colossians 1:16, 17)
He is the Sustainer of the universe (Colossians 1:17; Hebrews 1:3)
He claimed to be and was declared to be God manifest in the flesh (John 1:1, 14; 8:19; 10:25-33; Titus 2:13; Hebrews 1:8; 1 Timothy 3:16; 1 John 5:20)
He claimed that to see Him was to see God the Father (John 14:8, 9)
He received worship, homage reserved only for God (John 4:20-24; Acts 8:27; Matthew 4:10; Luke 4:8; Matthew 8:2; John 9:35-39; Matthew 14:33)
Jesus Christ and Jehovah of the Old Testament shared the following titles and actions:
ü Creator Isaiah 40:28—John 1:3
ü Savior Isaiah 43:11; 45:22—John 4:42
ü Raise the dead 1 Samuel 2:6—John 5:21
ü Judge Joel 3:12—John 5:27; Matthew 25:31-46
ü Light Isaiah 60:19, 20—John 8:12
ü“I AM” Exodus 3:14—John 8:58; 18:5, 6
ü Shepherd Psalm 23:1—John 10:11
ü Glory of God Isaiah 42:8; 48:11—John 17:1, 5
ü First and Last Isaiah 41:4; 44:6—Revelation 1:17; 2:8
ü Redeemer Hosea 13:14—Revelation 5:9
ü Bridegroom Isaiah 62:5; Hosea 2:16—Revelation 21:2
ü Rock Psalm 18:2—1 Corinthians 10:4
ü Forgiver of sins Jeremiah 31:34—Mark 2:7, 10
ü Worshipped by angels Psalm 148:2—Hebrews 1:6
ü Addressed in prayer Copious OT references—Acts 7:59
ü Creator of angels Psalm 148:5—Colossians 1:16
ü Confessed as Lord Isaiah 45:23—Philippians 2:11
"Jesus Christ is the Son of God, Jesus Christ is God in flesh, Jesus Christ is God in person, Jesus Christ is the Father, Jesus Christ is the Holy Ghost, Jesus Christ is the messiah, Jseis Christ is also an animal, lamb and Jesus Christ is "I am"."

Such silly, absurd, idiotic and unsubstantiated claims have been made by ignorant fools over the last 1650 years.

Nothing from Jesus, I mean nothing direct from the Horse's Mouth. Lies upon lies and nothing but lies.
bmz

Location hidden

#165455 Feb 28, 2013
Shamma wrote:
Archaeology
Evidence that the people in Jesus’ time believed in the resurrection is found on caskets of bones (ossuaries) discovered in a sealed tomb outside Jerusalem in 1945. Coins minted in about A.D. 50 were found inside the caskets, dating the burial within about 20 years of Jesus’ crucifixion. Markings are clearly legible, including several statements reflecting knowledge of Jesus’ ability to overcome death. Examples of writings (in Greek) of hope for deceased loved ones include:“Jesus, Help” and “Jesus, Let Him Arise.” The caskets also contain several crosses, clearly marked in charcoal. This is powerful evidence that early Christians believed in Jesus’ ability to triumph over death. It also ties the idea of victory over death to the cross.(What Is the Proof for the Resurrection by Ralph O. Muncaster)
Aren’t there contradictions in the resurrection story of Jesus Christ?
Skeptics like to point out apparent differences as being “contradictions” in the four Gospel narratives pertaining to the resurrection of Jesus Christ. But these differences ultimately confirm the truthfulness of these accounts, rather than refute them. If all four Gospel accounts gave verbatim the details of the resurrection, immediate suspicion would arise as to collusion (conspiracy and complicity) regarding the matter.
The truth is that none of the four Gospel accounts gives all the details of what transpired. Regarding any event of history personally observed and recorded by four witnesses, no series of records would produce “eye-witness” accounts exactly the same, detail for detail. One would highlight specific elements of the occurrence, leaving out others; whereas another would recall and emphasize others facets of the event.
A close examination of each Gospel account of the resurrection of Jesus Christ reveal that none of the details contradict any others but indeed they correlate together to supply the larger picture. The variations the Gospel writers chose to include in their resurrection narratives consist of details that in no way jeopardize the overall story.
One of the seeming contradictions that bother people concerns the time the women came to the tomb, related differently by John and Mark. Mark’s account has the women coming to the tomb at the rising of the sun, while John states that Mary Magdalene came to the tomb when it was dark.
This difficulty is solved when it is realized that the women had to walk quite some distance to the reach the grave, since they stayed in Jerusalem or Bethany. It was dark when they left the place in which they were staying, but when they arrived at the tomb the sun was beginning to shine. Therefore, Mark is speaking of their arrival, while John refers to their departure.
The area which has generated the most discussion concerns the angels who were at the tomb of Jesus. Matthew and Mark relate that one angel addressed the women, while Luke and John say that two angels were at the tomb....[This does not contradict because] one of the angels served as the spokesman for the two .... There is no need to assume a discrepancy.
Though they report some of the details differently, the Gospels agree in all important points.(Answers to Tough Questions Skeptics Ask About the Christian Faith by Josh McDowell and Don Stewart, Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., 1980)
From the Church's own Department of Archaeology, a sub-division under the Church's very own Department of History. They write a lie and they dig to prove the lie.
bmz

Location hidden

#165456 Feb 28, 2013
Hello, Shaman,

Please don't forget to answer the mother of all questions in my Post # 165427

" Now the mother of all questions *****:

HOW MANY TIMES DOES THE WORD FATHER APPEAR IN THE TANAKH KNOWN AS THE JEWISH HOLY SCRIPTURES?

Please do not give me the number from your Christian Bible.

Thanks, Shaman
bmz

Location hidden

#165457 Feb 28, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
By Jesus' death and resurrection He reconciled us to God, opened the gates of heaven, made it possible for us to become adopted children of God and heirs to the Kingdom of Heaven. How does bowing down to mecca, kissing a stone or worshiping mohammad save you? How does flying to mecca and walking around a giant cube save you?
Have you ever thought of this?

Jesus died naked and rose naked. How could a naked man ascend to the Father?
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#165458 Feb 28, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>

How could a naked man ascend to the Father?
How could a mass murderer and an ignorant man like Muhammad be a prophet?
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#165459 Feb 28, 2013
bmz wrote:
HOW MANY TIMES DOES THE WORD FATHER APPEAR IN THE TANAKH KNOWN AS THE JEWISH HOLY SCRIPTURES?
Is the Tanakh the last word or an authority on anything?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Archaeology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why did Vikings have 'Allah' embroidered into f... Tue Grassclipper 4
Accept offer. Citizens save £2B. Oct 15 Garry Denke 1
News Did Islam reach France 1,300 years ago? DNA and... (Feb '16) Sep 29 Syriana 24
News Mystery Of How The Pyramids Were Built Has Been... Sep 26 NoGoBo 1
HELP - Searching for Archaeology Cartoon Sep '17 Kevin 1
News Tonga's Nukuleka, the birth place of Polynesia (Jan '08) Aug '17 tongangodz 1,979
News Lost cities of the Midwest: A trek back to pre-... Jul '17 Von Zipper 7
More from around the web