Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 228392 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#160467 Jan 28, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
My position is coming from a position of Truth. If I discovery a new atomic particle I would want to share this knowledge with everyone, whether they believe it or not. They may say I didn't find a new particle or they can perform the same experiment I performed to see if the particle truly exists. I found God and I will share the knowledge of Him to everyone, and they can say I am wrong or they can also seek God to see if I am right. As I said before there are many spiritual disciplines that may aid one in finding God.
Physics is a science has professional standards as per what is worthy of teaching others. Your philosophy does not scientific standards, so your argument is a false equivalence.

The point remains, you are not preaching because you WANT to, you are preaching because you NEED to, in order to construct your indentity (i.e. be who you are). That is an absurd way to go though life, in my opinion, and certainly very codependendent.

Location hidden

#160468 Jan 28, 2013
youch on the typos - sorry
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Singapore

#160469 Jan 28, 2013
John Preacher wrote:
Moses slaughtered the lamb, as sacrifice for sin, on passover. Its blood cleansed the Jewish nation for the year. So why is it so hard to believe that a sinless man could take the place of the passover lamb, bringing atonement for sin by his blood, just as the lamb did?
Who told you that Moses slaughtered the lamb as sacrifice for sin? Where does sin fit in the passover?

It had nothing to do with sin. Read Exodus 11.

Lies upon lies and nothing but lies!

Location hidden

#160470 Jan 28, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no spirituality in Christianity. It has lots of Shits but zero spirituality.
Baptism is a big horse shit!
Let me tell you that this horse shit known as baptism has no place in judaism and neither it has any place in Islam.
Baptism has never been a requirement in the mainstream Judaism, so where did this shit of Baptism come from?
Jesus was living in a village far from Jerusalem. Various sects were living in those remote areas.
John had his own sect and he was dunking his followers in the river for a good wash and then the men repented. That is all there is to it.
This baptism of Jesus by John is such a horrible bad shit, which the Christians are not aware of and
do not realize what it means.
It means that John purified Jesus and that Jesus repented!
Baptism IS rooted in Jewish ritual. It is also rooted in ritual of many other tribal groups. LAter Christians just put their own spin on the ritual.

In Judaism, we have the Mikveh (Hebrew for gathering of waters - for purification), and Brit Milah (circumcision - entrance in the covenant). What the Christians did was kind of combine both ceremonies (without the snip snip of course) and added on the notion of original sin as to what one is being baptized from.

In Judaism we also have Tashlich before Yom Kippur (the collective "casting" of sins in the nearest river or waterbody). Which by the way brings up an interesting question as per the spiritual impact on anyone using that same waterbody downstream to "purify" themselves during baptism. Maybe that explains a lot of behavior.
Eric

Bensenville, IL

#160471 Jan 28, 2013
John Preacher wrote:
Moses slaughtered the lamb, as sacrifice for sin, on passover.
Can you give a passage from Exodus/Shemot that backs your premise that the lamb was a sacrifice for sin? Where does G-d say anything like this to Moses and Aaron?
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#160472 Jan 28, 2013
John Preacher wrote:
Moses slaughtered the lamb, as sacrifice for sin, on passover. Its blood cleansed the Jewish nation for the year. So why is it so hard to believe that a sinless man could take the place of the passover lamb, bringing atonement for sin by his blood, just as the lamb did?
Any thing CAN happen if it has to happen inside your head.

But did it actually happened is some thing else.

is it not good and beautiful, that no one on earth dies of hunger and sickness and accidents?

It is very good, but people do die because of these things and shall continue to die.

No one can take the sins of others, do you mean to say that blood of that lamb "took the sin of people" for one full year? Are you mad?

Does not need blood to forgive sins? What type of God is He?

The sacrifice is for humans to eat the meat and not for God. To Him does not reach any thing of the lamb, except piety and sincerity of your heart.

Sometime I do not understand how Western People think? They are so "Literal" minded.

That was the "main reason" why Paul could pull wool over they eyes of so many Roman Converts to 'His Version of Christianity"!!

The True Disciples of Jesus had no chance against some one so slippery as this St. Paul!!
bmz

Singapore

#160473 Jan 28, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Baptism IS rooted in Jewish ritual. It is also rooted in ritual of many other tribal groups. LAter Christians just put their own spin on the ritual.

In Judaism, we have the Mikveh (Hebrew for gathering of waters - for purification), and Brit Milah (circumcision - entrance in the covenant). What the Christians did was kind of combine both ceremonies (without the snip snip of course) and added on the notion of original sin as to what one is being baptized from.

In Judaism we also have Tashlich before Yom Kippur (the collective "casting" of sins in the nearest river or waterbody). Which by the way brings up an interesting question as per the spiritual impact on anyone using that same waterbody downstream to "purify" themselves during baptism. Maybe that explains a lot of behavior.
lol to the last para.

Actually, ceremonial bathing or washing and ablutions do not really fall under Baptism.

We do the same before prayers. For example, after sex with my wife, I do the same but it cannot be said that I went through baptism or baptized myself.

That is why I did not mention those in the two paragraphs of yours.

Christianity has made a religion out of a cocktail of sin and baptism.

Thanks for the note.
bmz

Singapore

#160474 Jan 28, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you give a passage from Exodus/Shemot that backs your premise that the lamb was a sacrifice for sin? Where does G-d say anything like this to Moses and Aaron?
Now, you will be told that the entire nation was subjected to slavery because of sin.

G-d said nothing to Moses but the Church did. Christianity and the Church are obsessed with sin. Take out sin and Christianity falls.
Sarah

Brisbane, Australia

#160475 Jan 28, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Who told you that Moses slaughtered the lamb as sacrifice for sin? Where does sin fit in the passover?
It had nothing to do with sin. Read Exodus 11.
Lies upon lies and nothing but lies!
Leviticus 4

1 Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying,
2 “Speak to the sons of Israel, saying,‘If a person sins unintentionally in any of the things which the LORD has commanded not to be done, and commits any of them,
3 if the anointed priest sins so as to bring guilt on the people, then let him offer to the LORD a bull without defect as a sin offering for the sin he has committed.

22 ‘When a leader sins and unintentionally does any one of all the things which the LORD his God has commanded not to be done, and he becomes guilty,
23 if his sin which he has committed is made known to him, he shall bring for his offering a goat, a male without defect.

32 ‘But if he brings a lamb as his offering for a sin offering, he shall bring it, a female without defect.
33 ‘He shall lay his hand on the head of the sin offering and slay it for a sin offering in the place where they slay the burnt offering.
Buford

Hurricane, WV

#160476 Jan 28, 2013
MUQ wrote:
I see no one complaining about the "massive" cut and paste of our Buford the Great.....
But when I post one page a day, many people are "up in arms" against me.
Why this dual standard? May I ask?
Dr. Barnabas,

I'm sure that with a little more effort, you could cut and paste your entire favorite Gospel in this thread at one sitting.
John Preacher

Ashburn, VA

#160477 Jan 28, 2013
Read here how Jesus was the offering for sin, Jesus fufilled what the Prophets wrote of the Messiah.
www.jewishroots.net/library/messianic/christ-...
Eric

Bensenville, IL

#160478 Jan 28, 2013
Sarah wrote:
<quoted text>
Leviticus 4
2 “Speak to the sons of Israel, saying,‘If a person sins unintentionally in any of the things which the LORD has commanded not to be done, and commits any of them,
3 if the anointed priest sins so as to bring guilt on the people, then let him offer to the LORD a bull without defect as a sin offering for the sin he has committed.
22 ‘When a leader sins and unintentionally does any one of all the things which the LORD his God has commanded not to be done, and he becomes guilty,
23 if his sin which he has committed is made known to him, he shall bring for his offering a goat, a male without defect.
32 ‘But if he brings a lamb as his offering for a sin offering, he shall bring it, a female without defect.
33 ‘He shall lay his hand on the head of the sin offering and slay it for a sin offering in the place where they slay the burnt offering.
and none of this pertains to the paschal lamb. It was not a burnt offering. It was not a bull. It was a meal.

And, taking the idea that it was a sacrifice ad argumentum, how come you discount that it was a sacrifice for thanksgiving rather than a sacrifice for sin? There is no mention of sin in the passages.
Buford

Hurricane, WV

#160479 Jan 28, 2013
Sarah wrote:
<quoted text>
Leviticus 4
Christainity sees these animal sin offerings as types of the one perfect human sacrifice for sin to come. It isn't a question of what we find offensive, but of what God would do to save us from the power of sin and death.

Christ’s Sacrifice Once for All

10 The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming—not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship. 2 Otherwise, would they not have stopped being offered? For the worshipers would have been cleansed once for all, and would no longer have felt guilty for their sins. 3 But those sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins. 4 It is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.

5 Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said:

“Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
but a body you prepared for me;
6 with burnt offerings and sin offerings
you were not pleased.
7 Then I said,‘Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll—
I have come to do your will, my God.’”[a]

8 First he said,“Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them”—though they were offered in accordance with the law. 9 Then he said,“Here I am, I have come to do your will.” He sets aside the first to establish the second. 10 And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

11 Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12 But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, 13 and since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool. 14 For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

15 The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says:

16 “This is the covenant I will make with them
after that time, says the Lord.
I will put my laws in their hearts,
and I will write them on their minds.”[b]

17 Then he adds:

“Their sins and lawless acts
I will remember no more.”[c]

18 And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin is no longer necessary.

a.Hebrews 10:7 Psalm 40:6-8 (see Septuagint)
b.Hebrews 10:16 Jer. 31:33
c.Hebrews 10:17 Jer. 31:34
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#160480 Jan 28, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
It surely made Jesus a new person.
If his baptism had not been carried out by John, the heavens would not have opened, no voice would have shouted, no dove would have landed and he would not have been led and handed over to Satan. Right?
Baptism was itself a sign of repentance. That is why Jesus told his disciples to preach repentance.
Please Refer to Mark 6. You will understand for the first time what the Baptism Hullabaloo is all about.
St John's baptism was a baptism of repentance and not the forgiveness of sin. After Jesus' death, resurrection, and the coming of the Holy Spirit, baptism was not only of repentence but the forgiveness of sin. This made the baptized person a new creation in Christ Jesus, adopted child of God, and heir to the Kingdom of Heaven.
bmz

Singapore

#160481 Jan 28, 2013
Sarah wrote:
<quoted text>
Leviticus 4
Sarah,

The Passover happened in Egypt. It had nothing to do with sin. Please read Exodus 11.

Leviticus came after the Hebrews had been delivered and had setlled.
Sarah

Brisbane, Australia

#160482 Jan 28, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
and none of this pertains to the paschal lamb. It was not a burnt offering. It was not a bull. It was a meal.
And, taking the idea that it was a sacrifice ad argumentum, how come you discount that it was a sacrifice for thanksgiving rather than a sacrifice for sin? There is no mention of sin in the passages.
The Paschal Lamb is both a regular sacrifice for redemption from sin and a special commemoration of the passover.
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#160483 Jan 28, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Physics is a science has professional standards as per what is worthy of teaching others. Your philosophy does not scientific standards, so your argument is a false equivalence.
The point remains, you are not preaching because you WANT to, you are preaching because you NEED to, in order to construct your indentity (i.e. be who you are). That is an absurd way to go though life, in my opinion, and certainly very codependendent.
There are many scholarly disciplines outside of natural science. Science and philosophy are becoming more interdisciplinary. It was the collaboration of a philosopher and experimental physicist that demonstrated that at the quantum level future events can affect past events.
Buford

Hurricane, WV

#160484 Jan 28, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Sarah,
The Passover happened in Egypt. It had nothing to do with sin. Please read Exodus 11.
Leviticus came after the Hebrews had been delivered and had setlled.
Mental Blockhead,

If it is at all possible, educate yourself.

http://www.jewfaq.org/qorbanot.htm
Qorbanot: Sacrifices and Offerings

Location hidden

#160485 Jan 28, 2013
Buford wrote:
<quoted text>
Mental Blockhead,
If it is at all possible, educate yourself.
http://www.jewfaq.org/qorbanot.htm
Qorbanot: Sacrifices and Offerings
Excellent summation

related to the above point,

"...The word "qorbanot" is usually translated as "sacrifices" or "offerings"; however, both of these terms suggest a loss of something or a giving up of something, and although that is certainly a part of the ritual, that is not at all the literal meaning of the Hebrew word. The word qorbanot comes from the root Qof-Reish-Beit, which means "to draw near," and indicates the primary purpose of offerings: to draw us near to G-d..."
bmz

Singapore

#160486 Jan 28, 2013
Buford wrote:
<quoted text>Christainity sees these animal sin offerings as types of the one perfect human sacrifice for sin to come. It isn't a question of what we find offensive, but of what God would do to save us from the power of sin and death.
Christ’s Sacrifice Once for All
10 The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming—not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship. 2 Otherwise, would they not have stopped being offered? For the worshipers would have been cleansed once for all, and would no longer have felt guilty for their sins. 3 But those sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins. 4 It is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.
5 Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said:
“Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
but a body you prepared for me;
6 with burnt offerings and sin offerings
you were not pleased.
7 Then I said,‘Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll—
I have come to do your will, my God.’”[a]
8 First he said,“Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them”—though they were offered in accordance with the law. 9 Then he said,“Here I am, I have come to do your will.” He sets aside the first to establish the second. 10 And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
11 Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12 But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, 13 and since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool. 14 For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.
15 The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says:
16 “This is the covenant I will make with them
after that time, says the Lord.
I will put my laws in their hearts,
and I will write them on their minds.”[b]
17 Then he adds:
“Their sins and lawless acts
I will remember no more.”[c]
18 And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin is no longer necessary.
a.Hebrews 10:7 Psalm 40:6-8 (see Septuagint)
b.Hebrews 10:16 Jer. 31:33
c.Hebrews 10:17 Jer. 31:34
Was it necessary to quote from the forgery known as Hebrews 10?

Line 5 is the biggest lie in above.

That was not Christ, who said that, ignorant fool. Paul copied and pasted from Psalms 40:6-8 and the rest are all copy and paste from Jeremiah, Deuteronomy, Isaiah and Habakkuk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Archaeology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Confederate flags placed at Martin Luther King'... 20 hr DieShadowHelix 1
News Customs officials crack down on Pakistan's mill... (Aug '12) Jul 30 mICHEAL 24
need info on a artifact I found Jul 20 neyney 1
News Archaeology and Mormonism (Jun '07) Jul 17 Barnsweb 104
News Tonga's Nukuleka, the birth place of Polynesia (Jan '08) Jul 15 Tui_Tonga 1,973
'Skulls, Shamans and Sacrifice in Stone Age Bri... Jul 13 Dave 1
Are 2 Million People Really Buried In 74 Graves? Jul 12 Candy 1
More from around the web