Pioneers' graves to be relocated

Pioneers' graves to be relocated

There are 187 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jul 4, 2007, titled Pioneers' graves to be relocated. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

After 150 years of resting in peace, moving day is approaching for about 30 dearly departed, whose graves are too close to a major highway that needs to be expanded.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Steve

Atlanta, GA

#1 Jul 5, 2007
This is really disrespecting the deceased. There is also an old cemetery at the FedEx hub by the airport that has been left alone and built around. I pioneers should be allowed to rest in their original bural plots that their families placed them in so long ago.
Dan Carpenter

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Jul 5, 2007
Hot Dog! More progress! Bulldoze that history and honor out of the way! We need more lanes! Maybe they can build a stripmall nearby and name it "Whitesell Cemetary Mall". That should fill the "respect" square.
Don Gentile

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Jul 5, 2007
Hey Margaret Tsai! Perhaps one day I can desecrate your grave!
Honestly

University Park, IL

#5 Jul 5, 2007
Ummmm, you wouldn't believe the number of old cemeteries that were simply bulldozed and built over. It's fantastic that this one, at least, will be done RIGHT.
Pragmatic

Kokomo, IN

#6 Jul 5, 2007
They've been dead quite a while, I would bet the families don't even live around here anymore or even know these graves exist. Why not move the bones to Crown Hill where the graves are taken care of and a few history buffs can marvel at the accomplishments of the pioneers? Not only are we the fattest state with the worst legislature in the country, we must surely rank up there with the most superstitious.
Rob C

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Jul 5, 2007
Dan Carpenter wrote:
Hot Dog! More progress! Bulldoze that history and honor out of the way! We need more lanes! Maybe they can build a stripmall nearby and name it "Whitesell Cemetary Mall". That should fill the "respect" square.
It would be impossible to keep every piece of "history and honor", and still maintain a reasonable life for those still living. But INDOT is doing a pretty decent job of it in this case.

As a genealogist, I've been worried about that cemetery for years, every time I've driven past it. But, reading this article, I'm not nearly as worried any more. These graves and remains are being treated more honorably, more carefully, than most of the others in the state -- tombstones cleaned, plots mapped, ground mowed. The rest of us should be so lucky.

Small family cemeteries don't usually last long, historically speaking. Several cemeteries where my ancestors were buried were just destroyed -- wiped off the face of the map -- by rural farmers who wanted just a wee bit more land. The stones were buried (usually in a single hole near the grave site), and the ground was plowed over. They're now just another piece of farmland.

I applaud INDOT for taking such good care of this particular site, and handling this relocation with this level of respect. Considering the alternatives, they're doing a wonderful job.
Joshua

Louisville, KY

#8 Jul 5, 2007
I hadn't thought about that , but its still WRONG.

Ummmm, you wouldn't believe the number of old cemeteries that were simply bulldozed and built over. It's fantastic that this one, at least, will be done RIGHT.

“It's dangerous to be sincere”

Since: Apr 07

Fishers, Indiana

#9 Jul 5, 2007
This is not disrespectful in any way shape or form. The same people who will be against this will be bitching on another post about traffic congestion on I-69. You CANT have it both ways. I agree there have been multiple occasions where there has been no consideration for the departed; however this is not the case.
peace advocate

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Jul 5, 2007
Even the Deceased have had their "property Tax" increased...Great job, Hoosier legislators...NOT
cicero resident

Bringhurst, IN

#12 Jul 5, 2007
I am sure the little girl was shaking her head in a yes motion as she talked. I have noticed this when she is trying to convince people of what she is talking about. Or is she trying to convince herself as she tries us the public?
A reader

Grovetown, GA

#13 Jul 5, 2007
Pragmatic wrote:
They've been dead quite a while, I would bet the families don't even live around here anymore or even know these graves exist. Why not move the bones to Crown Hill where the graves are taken care of and a few history buffs can marvel at the accomplishments of the pioneers? Not only are we the fattest state with the worst legislature in the country, we must surely rank up there with the most superstitious.
In my family, we know where our pioneer father's are burried back to 1700's. We care. We visit the ones close by with children to talk about their heritage. I bet many of those people have families who know about them too.

“When is recess”

Since: Mar 07

Down home in Greene County

#14 Jul 5, 2007
Rob C wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be impossible to keep every piece of "history and honor", and still maintain a reasonable life for those still living. But INDOT is doing a pretty decent job of it in this case.
As a genealogist, I've been worried about that cemetery for years, every time I've driven past it. But, reading this article, I'm not nearly as worried any more. These graves and remains are being treated more honorably, more carefully, than most of the others in the state -- tombstones cleaned, plots mapped, ground mowed. The rest of us should be so lucky.
Small family cemeteries don't usually last long, historically speaking. Several cemeteries where my ancestors were buried were just destroyed -- wiped off the face of the map -- by rural farmers who wanted just a wee bit more land. The stones were buried (usually in a single hole near the grave site), and the ground was plowed over. They're now just another piece of farmland.
I applaud INDOT for taking such good care of this particular site, and handling this relocation with this level of respect. Considering the alternatives, they're doing a wonderful job.
I would like you to prove your statement!!! As a farmer I do not know any other farmers in my county that have done this. I think you are trying to grab attaention with your comment. I cannot imagine any farmer in the counties around me-#1 to have people know I destroyed a graveyard would be the ultimate of disrespect. Farmers are too respectful to do this. Watch your typing. Too many familes have people buried in the small rural sites.
Be Informed

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Jul 5, 2007
Personally, I think INDOT is doing what they need to do to continue to let the area grow and expand.

However, the problem that I have is that the anthropology students from U of I will be sifting through the remains. Why not exhume the casket/remains (and leave them intact) and take them to Crown Hill to be buried? I would not be too happy knowing a family member was exhumed, poked at, and studied before having their grave relocated.

It just seems a little disrespectful to me......

“Say no to HILLARY ”

Since: Mar 07

Westfield, Indiana

#16 Jul 5, 2007
cicero resident wrote:
<quoted text>
I would like you to prove your statement!!! As a farmer I do not know any other farmers in my county that have done this. I think you are trying to grab attaention with your comment. I cannot imagine any farmer in the counties around me-#1 to have people know I destroyed a graveyard would be the ultimate of disrespect. Farmers are too respectful to do this. Watch your typing. Too many familes have people buried in the small rural sites.
He just said some small farmers. Dont take it personal I dont believe he meant it to be an attack on you or 99.9% of the farmers out there.

“I'm Here...”

Since: Jul 07

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Jul 5, 2007
I understand the need to expand I-69, but I am against the desecration of graveyards. There has to be another way.
Reality

Chicago, IL

#18 Jul 5, 2007
Steve wrote:
This is really disrespecting the deceased. There is also an old cemetery at the FedEx hub by the airport that has been left alone and built around. I pioneers should be allowed to rest in their original bural plots that their families placed them in so long ago.
They're dead...get over it.
Grave Digger

Jeffersonville, IN

#19 Jul 5, 2007
Not very much left that once represented the old town of Castleton. Hillsdale Nursery had been around for over 70 years but now is a hotel and a Golden Grazer. Now they are moving some of its founders. I believe these are the descendants of that family. It is a shame that only a few houses and the old train station is pretty much it.

Hopefully they put back everything they find in the gravesites and not in someone's pocket. I'm sure they'll only find bone fragments of these people, put them in a bag with a tag and rebury them but goodbye old timers and thank you for your hard work. Rest in peace in your new home for eternity.
bill

Redwood City, CA

#21 Jul 5, 2007
well atleast they dont have the taxes to pay
Indy NE

Redwood City, CA

#22 Jul 5, 2007
This is going to be about 12 years too late. Only a few lanes to try and get on to 465 from I-69 is a joke.
Practical

Evansville, IN

#23 Jul 5, 2007
Shouldn't we be worried about the future of our society rather than holding on to the past? It's not as though they're paving over a cemetary and moving on their way. They're taking the (expensive) steps to make sure they're being respectful to the bodies buried there.

We as humans are so concerned over our legacies sometimes that we forget about the practicality of having enough room to give everyone their own 7'x4' piece of ground. What happens when we start running out of land for cemetaries? Makes cremation look like a more sensible option.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Archaeology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dig yields artifacts up to 8,000 years old (Jul '07) Nov 7 handy man 3
News 'Eyes of the world' will be on Stonehenge Nov 3 Jesus Christ 1
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) Oct 24 Wisdom of Ages 256,436
Identifying the Saints by effigy Sep '18 tedstruk 1
News Rio's 200-Year-Old National Museum Destroyed in... Sep '18 laurel mancini 2
News Laramie, Wyoming News and Information (Aug '07) Aug '18 Kohufki 2
News Mystery Of How The Pyramids Were Built Has Been... (Sep '17) Aug '18 Konin 2