Archaeological Field School Digging for Historical Landmarks - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA New...

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

The Monticello-UVA Archaeological Field School is on the verge of discovering two slave dwellings that Thomas Jefferson excluded from his maps of Monticello.
Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Jul 8, 2012
George S

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2012

Judged:

I'm curious: If there is no written record of this, then how did UVA know it was there and where to dig? Did they have help from the department of the crystal ball?
reality bites

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2012

George S wrote:
I'm curious: If there is no written record of this, then how did UVA know it was there and where to dig? Did they have help from the department of the crystal ball?
Slave row is well documented on the Monticello estate, these new findings amount to just another slow news day.
Indiana

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Judged:

Though the "slave row" near the main house is well documented, Site 6, which would have housed slaves that worked in the outlying fields on the plantation, was not. Archaeologists at Monticello have spent many years digging systematic shovel tests on an imaginary grid covering much of the plantation in order to locate sites such as these. Field slave dwellings were largely undocumented and comparative information on those slaves' lives is largely unknown. No crystal ball was involved; hard work and years of dedicated research was.
like it or not

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Judged:

Well lets just keep digging up the past at taxpayer expense giving fodder to idiots who look for any excuse not to do anything to improve their own lives cause some past relative maybe was a slave, goodness knows there isn't any genealogy to prove it, and they're so victimized and deserve reparations.
Closer

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Ph.D. welfare system is what it is calleed.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••