Maya discovery may change Doomsday date

May 10, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WNDY-TV Indianapolis

Archaeologists have found a small room in Mayan ruins where royal scribes apparently used walls like a blackboard to keep track of astronomical records and the society's intricate calendar some 1,200 years ago.

Comments
1 - 20 of 61 Comments Last updated Jun 13, 2012
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Jody”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

What a great discovery. It makes me jealous.

Discovered at a great time too, huh?

“Kiss Me You Fool!”

Since: Jan 08

Atlanta via Brooklyn NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Judged:

Oh, let me guess. Now that the long awaited and professed date has passed, the powers that be magical find and "Amendment" artifact that creates a new date.

Allows for more marketing time before Doomsday,

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Judged:

Damn! Just when I gave up my subscription to Mad Magazine!

“Hey Moe ! ! !”

Since: May 12

Alapaha , Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Judged:

I'll give you my thoughts on this December 23rd,2012
Dr Stinko

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

To the right, hopefully.
Pat Robertson s Fatwass

Pottstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

Judged:

You know, when reasonable people cannot even agree on the doomsday date for the planet you know we are really in trouble as a civilization.

“it's just craic”

Since: Jan 09

Mears, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

Judged:

there goes my plans

“Where DO missing socks go?”

Since: Jun 11

They run away to join the show

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

Judged:

OneRyder wrote:
Oh, let me guess. Now that the long awaited and professed date has passed, the powers that be magical find and "Amendment" artifact that creates a new date.
Allows for more marketing time before Doomsday,
It hasn't passed yet, it was this December.

Still how convienient this 'discovery' has been made now after all these claims.

I don't know why people believe that ancient people had some magical power that no longer exists but they still want to hang on to such notions.

“Bagging groceries....”

Since: Mar 12

is child's play :)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

Judged:

well drats, why did I send out that invitation to the in-laws already for the 22nd... sigh

“Where DO missing socks go?”

Since: Jun 11

They run away to join the show

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

Judged:

Pat Robertson s Fatwass wrote:
You know, when reasonable people cannot even agree on the doomsday date for the planet you know we are really in trouble as a civilization.
Doomsday had pretty much been canceled anyhow for a lack of interest.

The good news is we all have our own personal doomsdays coming.
Pebbles Spimmit

Old Lyme, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

Judged:

-Topicks Puppet Show- wrote:
<quoted text>It hasn't passed yet, it was this December.
Still how convienient this 'discovery' has been made now after all these claims.
I don't know why people believe that ancient people had some magical power that no longer exists but they still want to hang on to such notions.
Are you kidding? The Ancients could (a) read minds,(b) travel through time,(c) move huge objects without the use of the wheel, probably through telekinesis, and (d) make orange soda with magic tablets. Oh yeah, and (e) harness the power of lightning to make pickled meats (pastrami, corned beef, etc.). Did they care about "cars"? Yes. But they didn't want them. What about TV? Ditto. How about cell phones? Too easy to lose in taxis. What about the concept of zero? "Who gives a shit about that?" is what your typical Ancient in the street would say. What about the oppressive life that most of the people lived under in those ooga-booga theocracies? "Theocra-whats?" is what your typical Ancient would reply. "What are you talking about? Leave me alone or I'll get the priests." Get what I mean? The Ancients had it dicked and if they wanted to equivocate about the end of the world (or not) it's all the same to them.
crud

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

I knew I shouldn't have given all my assets to the kids yet.
They Knew More Than We Do

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

Judged:

How were the pyramids built?

What are crop circles?

“Stupidity Leak”

Since: Sep 11

Woodsboro

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

Can't they make the mistake in our favor and move the date closer??

“Kiss Me You Fool!”

Since: Jan 08

Atlanta via Brooklyn NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

-Topicks Puppet Show- wrote:
<quoted text>It hasn't passed yet, it was this December.
Thanks for the correction. I thought we went through some sort of doomsday watch last year..or was it the year before. Not sure what I'm thinking of and don't want to spend any more brain cycles on it. Thanks again.

“What?”

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

Judged:

That IS interesting. Thanks for posting the article.
Mormon Dead Jew Baptisms

Pottstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

OneRyder wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the correction. I thought we went through some sort of doomsday watch last year..or was it the year before. Not sure what I'm thinking of and don't want to spend any more brain cycles on it. Thanks again.
That end of the world wasn't anyone as reputable as Mayan mystics with calendars. That was fundie xstain Harold or Howard Camping, whose radio followers believed him when he said, for about the third time with different dates, that everything was to end on apocalypse day of 5.21.11.

See how quickly we forget?
Maud Calipers

Old Lyme, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2012

Excuse me, posters, but Martian Overlord Campbell was right, the world did end on 5/21/11, but no one except a few religio-losers was paying attention. So you might as well quit dieting and trying to be nice, not that that worked too well for you before the end of the world. Come on, admit it.
chromo24

Greeley, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2012

Judged:

Everyone knows that Dooomsday is in November of 2012, when the foolish and deluded American publc re-elects Obama, the radical left-wing nutjob. Unleashed from the anymore election worries, he'll be pushing his far-left agenda to the max, using every unconstitutional trick in the book. Our economy will tank and our freedom will be at risk. It'll make anything the Mayans foretold look like child's play.

“Power to the people”

Since: Jul 10

Once was Top Secret

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2012

Judged:

What if the world ended and no one noticed. Would there be any sound?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••