Airport runway battle heats up in Macon

Airport runway battle heats up in Macon

There are 31 comments on the Smoky Mountain News story from Mar 6, 2009, titled Airport runway battle heats up in Macon. In it, Smoky Mountain News reports that:

Emotions are sizzling over a plan to extend the Macon County Airport runway over Cherokee burial grounds and artifacts.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Smoky Mountain News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Nancy Pitts

United States

#1 Mar 9, 2009
I think it is a disgrace to extend the runway over Cherokee burial grounds. This runway is to make a few rich people happy with no regards to anyone else.
Sharon L Kitchen

Townsend, GA

#2 Mar 16, 2009
I have read most of the comments from people in and around this issue, whether they be local or just deeply concerned. I appreciate all those that care and are moved to write, in hopes that this very historical Cherokee burial site is saved. 600' expansion is no excuse to disturb the "final " resting place of those that are burried here. If anyone wishes more information please visit our web site on myspace,under Save The Sacred Sites. I and my husband are of Cherokee heritage. I have been trying to save burials for over 40 years....no matter who's they are.....no matter what race.$ is not the answer.
Those that live by greed and then die can NOT take it with them. Morals= the answer. Would you want your grave dug up?Do you want to be put in a whitebox on a shelf? Or in a white bag,when the boxes run out? This is what happens with Native burials when they are dug up/bulldozed/pillaged all for the $ bill.This is NOT moral.
Help in our fight. Some day your grave may be protected by someone you do not know,but who cares.
Thak you, in advance.
Sharon (founder-STSS)
Sharon L Kitchen

Townsend, GA

#3 Mar 17, 2009
Although , the date is closed today at the NCEPA for further comments about this very important site.......On March 23rd the Macon county board of commissioners will address this issue. Their view is not pro-saving burrials. Then on March 24th the Airport Auth. will have this very important issue on their aggenda. Again, their view is also.....not saving graves.
Any one that cares about not desecrating graves should attend.
To be very clear.....this story is all over the web.....the country and the world.People from all over/all races/ all backgrounds are writtingcalling/email; to protest this desecration of burrials. Please join in this.

Thank you for all the people that can not speak.
They were burried with love and had no way of knowing that they could/would be dug up.

Again , thank you and keep up the good work you all are doing.

Sharon
Sharon L Kitchen

Townsend, GA

#5 Apr 13, 2009
well the meetings have come and gone and the issue remains. Do NOT desecrate graves.
Yes...what the Eastern Band of Cherokee says, matters.
Yes...the airport and county have to listen to them.
NO...they can not go around them.
Has anyone read the available minutes of the airport? They state that their accounting is a mess?Was this just in the past? They also stated that they had to have an outside company help. If their minutes are still not accurate...what are they doing getting thousands apon thousands of dollars in the way of grant money from the Federal government? Are they taking care of it?Just questions ,after reading their own minutes. They seem to be confused.This may not be a good thing. Is there anyone checking on them? Should there be?
Someone brought up the name Phil Drake......so I checked....yes....he owns 17 companies, I believe as well as this theatre.....very busy. They also mentioned that "he" wanted the airport bigger so that "he" could have a bigger jet?One person to cause so much destruction? Can someone check this out? wow..........if it is true.What a burden for him to have to carry.
Sharon L Kitchen

Townsend, GA

#6 Jun 1, 2009
Well..........more meetings have come and gone.

I sent a lengthy letter full of questions that the Airport has yet to answer.

Of course.....I thought they would not.
If someone has nothing to hide......they answer.
so..........yep......they must have much to hide.

concerning the info they are hideing......stay turned..........

IT IS ABOUT TO GET MUCH WARMER..........
Moldy

United States

#7 Sep 25, 2009
"At the Macon County Airport, one of the busiest small strips in the region, the state is spending more than $500,000 dollars on archaeological work alone so the runway can be expanded...."

"County leaders in 2007 and 2008 agreed to match the federal dollars allocated for the airport only to build an erosion control system below the mountain-top field, airport manager Greg Hall said...."

http://m.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...
Ghost Dog

Columbia City, IN

#8 Sep 26, 2009
Moldy wrote:
"At the Macon County Airport, one of the busiest small strips in the region, the state is spending more than $500,000 dollars on archaeological work alone so the runway can be expanded...."
"County leaders in 2007 and 2008 agreed to match the federal dollars allocated for the airport only to build an erosion control system below the mountain-top field, airport manager Greg Hall said...."
http://m.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...
"one of the busiest small strips in the region"??? Hmmm, just how busy is this "strip"? How many different planes fly in and out per month? Different, not just Drake's? 10? 20? There are lots of day when not one flys. Then on sunny days, there might be 3-4, so, just how many different planes fly in and out, enough to justify the expense, enough to justify the taxpayers who are struggling to just pay property taxes, which are gonna go up, having to subsidize the thrill of the rich and powerful?
oldarmy

United States

#10 Oct 4, 2009
To answer Ghost Dog........ Click on link and read "Air Port Operatioal Statistics".

http://www.airnav.com/airport/1A5
oldarmy

United States

#12 Oct 4, 2009
Ghost Dog wrote:
<quoted text>On any given day, Franklin has less than half the flight operations of any of the other airports listed as "nearby". There are supposedly 29 planes supposedly stationed at Franklin, where are they? There are usually only 2-4 outside, one being a twin engine jet, where are the other 5-6 twin engine planes? There aren't that many hangers spaces there! Somebody is playing with statistics!
You don't get out much do you? Go down there and check it out.
sharon

Townsend, GA

#14 Oct 5, 2009
Yep..........Drake again.
Yep......and Cat.
Drake mentioned something in this article....."level playing field for everyone".....that is realy odd.........it is not level for the human beings being desecrated........not level for the sacred site.
Not level for the children of the ancestors they are desturbing and very possibly destroying.
Not level at all.
Would Drake want all his family plots dug up
oldarmy

United States

#15 Oct 5, 2009
Ghost Dog wrote:
<quoted text>I drive by it 3-4 times per week, rarely see any activity and usually the only twin engine plane in sight is the small jet sitting at the West end of the parking lot. Usually there are 3-4 planes sitting on the parking area, rarely there are more and sometimes another larger jet and a twin engine, propeller driven plane, not a lot of activity. Mostly it is a place for flatlanders and others to park junk vehicles for about $10 per month! Lots of energy wasted at night with all those lights on and the taxpayers picking up the tab!
You can't see nothing just by driving by....Go in and stop get out of your car and go in walk out on the tarmate and look to your left. Also you can talk to Neil Hoppy and see for yourself whats going on.
sharon

Townsend, GA

#18 Oct 6, 2009
Bear Dog wrote:
<quoted text>I was inside the "terminal" a few months ago, wanted to see what we got for over a million dollars, not much and it was empty except for Hoppe, I was there about 15 min. at about 3 O'Clock in the afternoon. It is an infrequently used place, except for Drake and maybe two or three others who run up the stats! We taxpayers are getting "hosed"!
Bear Dog,
You got it. They have only one restroom, and it does not have a shower. On the deed, you can see the layout. Not much to speak about. You said , over a million? For what?
Aduit time. Not by the county or state. Should be the Fed.
In on meeting they wrote their accounting was horrible. Then they hired someone to come clean it up........should be enteresting.
It might even trace what the Million? was spent on.....who knows...
But I do know , as long as they persist at a burrial site......nothing, I mean nothing will go well.....airport/warehouse/bui nesses/ nothing.
sharon

Townsend, GA

#21 Oct 6, 2009
Bear Dog wrote:
<quoted text>Same person who did the Town Hall, another million to renovate, with a security system that went from $16,000 to $173,000 for a few cameras and key pad access door locks. You could have bought the stuff over the counter for a couple of thousand dollars! Well, the Town Manager needs to have his gun collection that is in his office, protected, thing is, the doors are mostly glass in a frame! That same developer is now building the new Police Dept.! Wonder how much that will cost. Thing is he has not been the low bidder. More interesting is that he and the security installer are good friends with the Town Manager/Former County Manager when he did the Airport Facility, all are freinds of Drake! Pays to know the person in charge. Neither the County or Town Commissioners or Alderman question anything, same wit the School Board, just spend, spend, spend. The Town Mgr/County Mgr, had unlimited approval of cost overruns, Town Hall, was almost $400K in "overruns" for renovation of a building that cost less than $300K, new asphalt shingle room, partitions,$80K elevator, paint, carpet, some wiring/plumbing and expensive furniture, over $10K for one office! Yep, WE, the taxpayers of Franklin and Macon have been "Hosed"!
Wow..........all this in a time where money is not abounding for the many.....but the "few"/"wealthy " people...the 1 percent..now that is another story....sounds like "Drakeville" is doing quite well......now the city..that is another story.The county, that too is another story. Seems as if all these "big" "exspensive" projects would make a nice spae for all those that do not have homes....those in tent cities...all those that can not afford food.Drakeville's homeless shelters.When is the opening date...we can let everyone know.
sharon

Townsend, GA

#23 Oct 7, 2009
Bear Dog wrote:
Here's another insight, the town and county are in the "red" and don't have the funds to pay their bills, having to cut back, stopped hiring, not filling jobs when people retire, etc. but they have money for "cost overruns" solely approved by one person! The town had an $8 million surplus last year, now over a million in debt. County, well nobody knows how much in debt they are, they say, "we're getting by". Look for both town and county property taxes to increase drastically next year! Nobody is paying taxes on a lot of foreclosed property, expensive property in Highlands/Cashiers area!
In the times of today.....the "little" person should not have their taxes go up.....you mentioned no one paying on foreclosed property...correct....idea...s ince the budget is in the "red"....foreclosure time.....just a thought.
sharon

Townsend, GA

#24 Oct 8, 2009
update........now it is the cowee elementary school that they are trying to get around...saying ..maybe they can use the same team at the airport since the school to be is off the same area.........
sharon

Townsend, GA

#26 Oct 14, 2009
ApeWenchDogBitch wrote:
How Now Kimmasabee
Stay off runway
Stay off firewater
Welfare only way to go
AWDB.......I work for a living......do you?
sharon

Townsend, GA

#28 Oct 19, 2009
ApeWenchDogBitch wrote:
<quoted text>
Something the government created for you. We all know you people are not part of the real world. You stay in your little tax exempt reservations and plan the next fire water celebration. Try to stay out of jail tonight.
boy..........are you out to lunch.
my place......I could only wish it were tax exempt. Since you know all, maybe you could help with that. It went from $99.00 to $700.00. Please help......oh wait .....that is right......you probably would not know how to......since you quote "hollywood".
Jail........I used to put folks in jail.....so be very careful what you write..........just a thought for you......you will not take it ,of course, as you seem to know everything about everything..........what a weight that must be.......... but it is YOUR weight.
freedom

Murphy, NC

#29 Oct 19, 2009
I am guessing a lot of the people harping about desecrating graves live near the airport and do not want this airfield to become Hartsfield North.
sharon

Townsend, GA

#31 Oct 20, 2009
freedom wrote:
I am guessing a lot of the people harping about desecrating graves live near the airport and do not want this airfield to become Hartsfield North.
You are very correct. mountains/burrials/forest/anim als......
all would be lost in the process.
What a high price to pay. Once gone not seen again.

This is the only planet we have the Honor to call home.

do we realy wish to destroy Earth?
freedom

Murphy, NC

#32 Oct 20, 2009
Well I guess to live on this planet to be earth friendly we should only walk on our own feet for transportation and definitely have only one very very small house live at 50 degrees in rhe winter and ambient temp in the summer. I choose to live in comfort and Al G in his 10,000+ sq ft house chooses the same. Maybe Al can land his g4 at your airport someday.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Archaeology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dig yields artifacts up to 8,000 years old (Jul '07) Nov 7 handy man 3
News 'Eyes of the world' will be on Stonehenge Nov 3 Jesus Christ 1
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) Oct 24 Wisdom of Ages 256,436
Identifying the Saints by effigy Sep '18 tedstruk 1
News Rio's 200-Year-Old National Museum Destroyed in... Sep '18 laurel mancini 2
News Laramie, Wyoming News and Information (Aug '07) Aug '18 Kohufki 2
News Mystery Of How The Pyramids Were Built Has Been... (Sep '17) Aug '18 Konin 2