'Largest' Scottish ancient artworks revealed

Feb 8, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Scotsman.com

A RETIRED silversmith has uncovered the largest collection of ancient rock art ever found in the Highlands on a remote hill overlooking the Cromarty Firth.

Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated Feb 11, 2013
sscondron

United States

#1 Feb 10, 2013
Could the cup marks be star positions?
Vince Popple USA

Old Lyme, CT

#2 Feb 11, 2013
I'll show you cup-marked stones, scottish fellow! Oh yes I will. We've got cup-marked this and cup-marked that AND cup-marked the other thing, plus other things that are cup-marked. None of them have a groatsworth of relation to "star positions." Rubbish. If you will look carefully at the cup-marked rock's picture you should notice that it resembles a very, very(,very) large water cracker (or circular saltine). Most archaeologists consider this a form of wishful thinking -- like the cargo cults, or the Republican party. It would be millennia before the water cracker was invented by a feckless baker in Cornwall who was trying to transmute lead into Oreos, but that didn't stop the doltish cup-marking pagans of Scotland. No. It is estimated that they continued marking anything that stood still more than 30 seconds with cup marks for another 1,000 years until the mug was invented, rendering the cup obsolete. Does this make it all clear?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Archaeology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 39 min MUQ1 201,378
Boy stumbles upon an ancient arrowhead Aug 27 MUQ1 1
Greek archaeologists enter large underground tomb Aug 27 MUQ1 1
Ancient Armenian City Reveals New Secrets Aug 26 interesting 2
Ancient Mayan cities found in Mexican jungle Aug 22 Interesting 1
Buddha bowl return request gets louder Aug 21 Iruth Bausec Algz... 39
Researchers come across trove of Buddhist artif... Aug 21 SpaceBlues 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••