Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 256295 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#173204 Apr 24, 2013
Methuslaeh wrote:
<quoted text>
Firstly, thank you for the question. I honestly didn't expect one.
Secondly, I'm not entirely sure what a "day of rest" entails. I mean, energy is expended when I get out of bed; it is WORK.
Thirdly, what does it mean that God "rested," and how in the hell are we supposed to emulate THAT?
from a Christian perspective

http://bibletruth.cc/KeepingSabbath.htm

http://bibletruth.cc/KeepingSabbath.htm#Resti...

Location hidden

#173205 Apr 24, 2013
Methuslaeh wrote:
<quoted text>
Secondly, I'm not entirely sure what a "day of rest" entails. I mean, energy is expended when I get out of bed; it is WORK.
Thirdly, what does it mean that God "rested," and how in the hell are we supposed to emulate THAT?
Another Christian perspective

http://www.khouse.org/articles/2000/223/

Location hidden

#173206 Apr 24, 2013
Irony of Ironies

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/24/us/boston-m...

"Elmirza Khozhugov, 26, the ex-husband of Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s younger sister, Ailina, said that Tamerlan Tsarnaev had been enamored of conspiracy theories, and that he was also concerned by the wars in the Middle East.

“He was looking for connections between the wars in the Middle East and oppression of Muslim population around the globe,” Mr. Khozhugov said in an e-mail.“It was very hard to argue with him on themes somehow connected to religion. On the other hand, he did not hate Christians. He respected their faith. Never said anything bad about other religions. But he was angry that the world pictures Islam as a violent religion.”

----------

"But he was angry that the world pictures Islam as a violent religion.”

So LETS blow up a bunch of innocents as a result!!!!
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#173207 Apr 24, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Allah never said that a replacement was provided. And the Christian God also remained silent on this matter.
Jesus was not sent to form a religion. Formation of Christianity was out of question at that time. Christianity came four centuries later, courtesy Roman pagans.
QURAN SURA 4:157:

'And for their saying. We slew the Messiah. Jesus son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah', Whereas they slew himnot and neither crucified him, BUT ONE WAS MADE LIKE HIM FOR THEM. And those who are differing about him,certainly, they are in doubt regarding' him. They have not the least knowledge about it, but merely following aconjecture, and undoubtedly, they slew him' not.'

WHO MADE THE ONE LIKE JESUS????? WHY DOESN'T ALLAH SAY? WHY DOESN'T ALLAH SAY WHO IT WAS AND STATE WHAT HE DID?

WHY DOESN'T ALLAH ADMIT THAT HE COULDN'T RAISE JESUS FROM THE DEAD, BECAUSE HE DOESN'T HAVE THE POWER?

WHY DIDN'T ALLAH CONFESS TO THE MUSLIM STUDENTS OF JESUS AT THE TIME???????
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#173208 Apr 24, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain exactly what Allah meant in that text?
The variations appear in the translation/interpretation of the end portion of the verse which reads: "wa lakin shubbiha lahum"
wa means: And, also, but, whilst.
lakin means; But, still, nevertheless.
shubbiha means; To be made like; A likeness or similitude.
(This could refer to: A likeness or similitude (of Jesus), or
A likeness or similitude (of Killing), or
A likeness or similitude (of Crucifixion), or
A likeness or similitude (of Killing & Crucifixion)
lahum means; Was made for them.
Below are the other English translations by Muslims and non Muslim scholars for comparison:
1. Translation by Allama Abdullah Yusuf Ali:
"But they killed him not, nor crucified him,
only a likeness of that was shown to them."
2. Translation by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall:
"...They slew him not nor crucified
but it appeared so unto them;"
3. Translation by Professor Arthur J. Arberry:
"...yet they did not slay him, neither crucified him,
only a likeness of that was shown to them."
In the above English translations the translators have refrained from advocating any specific theory since Allah (SWT) has not mentioned any of the prevalent theories on the subject in this verse or anywhere else in the Qur'an.(I repeat "in the Qur'an").
So what did Allah say in that text?
A better translation by T. B. Irving, an American who became Muslim:

"They neither killed nor crucified him, even though it seemed so to them. Those who disagree about it are in doubt concerning it; they have no [real] knowledge about it except by following conjecture. No one is certain they killed him!"

In other words, people thought they were killing him but that was not the case.

It was like a well-managed stage show.
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#173209 Apr 24, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Allah never said that a replacement was provided. And the Christian God also remained silent on this matter.
Jesus was not sent to form a religion. Formation of Christianity was out of question at that time. Christianity came four centuries later, courtesy Roman pagans.
MATTHEW 16:18
"And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it."

Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#173210 Apr 24, 2013
4:157 That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Apostle of Allah";- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-

ARABIC: Waqawlihim inna qatalnaalmaseeha AAeesa ibna maryama rasoola Allahiwama qataloohu wama salaboohu walakinshubbiha lahum wa-inna allatheena ikhtalafoo feehi lafeeshakkin minhu ma lahum bihi min AAilmin illa ittibaAAaalththanni wama qataloohu yaqeenan
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#173211 Apr 24, 2013
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#173213 Apr 24, 2013
ANOTHER ARABIC TRANSLATION:

Sahih International
'And [for] their saying, "Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of Allah ." And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain.'

BESIDES NEVER USING THE MOTHER'S NAME TO REFER TO ANYONE, JEWS WOULD NEVER ADMITT TO KILLING THEIR 'MESSIAH'!
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#173214 Apr 24, 2013
4 DIFFERENT TRANSLATIONS:

Waqawlihim inna qatalna almaseeha AAeesa ibna maryama rasoola Allahi wama qataloohu wama salaboohu walakin shubbiha lahum wa-inna allatheena ikhtalafoo feehi lafee shakkin minhu ma lahum bihi min AAilmin illa ittibaAAa alththanni wama qataloohu yaqeenan

YUSUFALI: That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah";- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, BUT SO IT WAS MADE TO APPEAR TO THEM, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-

PICKTHAL: And because of their saying: We slew the Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, Allah's messenger - they slew him not nor crucified him, BUT IT APPEARED SO UNTO THEM; and lo! those who disagree concerning it are in doubt thereof; they have no knowledge thereof save pursuit of a conjecture; they slew him not for certain.

SHAKIR: And their saying: Surely we have killed the Messiah, Isa son of Marium, the messenger of Allah; and they did not kill him nor did they crucify him, BUT IT APPEARED TO THEM SO (LIKE ISA)and most surely those who differ therein are only in a doubt about it; they have no knowledge respecting it, but only follow a conjecture, and they killed him not for sure.

KHALIFA: And for claiming that they killed the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, the messenger of GOD. In fact, they never killed him, they never crucified him - THEY WERE MADE TO THINK THAT THEY DID. All factions who are disputing in this matter are full of doubt concerning this issue. They possess no knowledge; they only conjecture. For certain, they never killed him.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#173215 Apr 24, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
A better translation by T. B. Irving, an American who became Muslim:
"They neither killed nor crucified him, even though it seemed so to them. Those who disagree about it are in doubt concerning it; they have no [real] knowledge about it except by following conjecture. No one is certain they killed him!"
In other words, people thought they were killing him but that was not the case.
It was like a well-managed stage show.
There is no explanation in the Quran as why the Jews wanted to kill Jesus in the place.
So What cause did Allah have to put on a well managed staged show for the Jews?
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#173216 Apr 24, 2013
WHY WOULD THE JEWS ADMIT TO KILLING THEIR MESSIAH???????? They didn't believe Jesus was their Messiah and they'd blame the Romans anyway!!!!!
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#173217 Apr 24, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>Yes!
The history of the Jewish blood rituals speak for it self.
In every incident that Jews were asked to leave a country blood libel was the cause.
It is stated in this article.
There is lot for you to read.
http://www.thewatcherfiles.com/jewish_sacrifi...
rabbee: the insane, shall believe the insane.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#173218 Apr 24, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
Your article doesn't even mention the Alhambra Decree that expelled Jews from Spain.
rabbee: if you tell G-D, to shove it. guess who, is going to get shoved?
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#173219 Apr 24, 2013
JOEL wrote:
Day of Rest , Day of Judgement, Coming of the Messiah and other such beliefs are pure bull shit. If at all one should refrain from anything it should be demon worship, human/animal sacrifices, mumbo jumbo rituals, adoration of mass murdering "prophets", books that teach bigotry/bashing of babies/stoning disobdient sons to death. Good karma, eco-sensitivity, deep aspiration for the higher truths, maintaining pure gene lines free from : a) serious diseases, b) severe p ersonality defects, c) inbreeding and d) hypogamy are the essential laws to follow for a successful , happy and peaceful life in tune with Nature and being.
rabbee: as if seven billion liars, are not enough.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#173220 Apr 24, 2013
rabbee yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: the insane, shall believe the insane.
How blood rituals have you been involved in rabbee?
JOWL

Hurricane, WV

#173221 Apr 24, 2013
JOEL wrote:
Buford has the intelligence, and morals of a street bitch. Filthy , fanatical fool.
Who pissed in your corn flakes?
JOEL

India

#173222 Apr 24, 2013
Potter.

(smiles)
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#173223 Apr 24, 2013
Methuslaeh wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: well pay attention, to what has been actually happening. cause this world is about to find out again, what the day of rest is about. since G-D has been giving TheTorah, for nearly a full six days, here in IT again. and for TheSeventh Day, G-D is going to again appoint, adam and his mate as your only acting G-D in charge. while G-D is going to watch, how you all react to Them again. since Parent of always TheTorah i know, is not the g-ds of any of your other books religiously.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#173224 Apr 24, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have an Old Testament. But I know you do. Your Old Testament has instructions. Just follow them.
Actually I was being PC by recognizing the scriptures of your religion as your religion refers to them.
rabbee: well you are most definatly, here in ThisOldTestament again. the only way you can avoid having one. is by being delusional, about being here in TheTorah. no matter what other stories, from what other g-ds, you only think you are new testament in.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anthropology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Secret Tunnel Discovered Beneath the Ancient Te... Jul 10 La Femme Accident 1
News Canada 150: Five artifacts representing B.C. on... Jul 10 La Femme Accident 2
News Harding to open biblical archaeology museum Jul 10 Resident 23
Bipedalism Jul 9 pshun2404 2
News Humans in America 100,000 years earlier than pr... Jul 7 pshun2404 26
News Researchers dig into the lives of Eckley villagers Jul 3 Indiana Jones 1
News Blackdom history little known (Feb '11) Jun 27 spydie 35
More from around the web