Illyrian tribes or Today Albania

Posted in the Anthropology Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Feb 07

Albania

#1 Apr 17, 2007
Illyrians has come to refer to a broad, ill-defined group of peoples who inhabited the western Balkans (Illyria, roughly from northern Epirus to southern Pannonia) and even perhaps parts of Southern Italy in classical times into the Common era, and spoke Illyrian languages. It is, however, less believable that in reality there was such a broad group that self-identified as Illyrians, and some argue that the ethnonym Illyrioi came to be applied to this large group of peoples by the ancient Greeks, Illyrioi having perhaps originally designated only a single people that came to be widely known to the Greeks due to proximity. Indeed, such a people known as the Illyrioi are supposed to have occupied a small and well-defined part of the south Adriatic coast, around Skadar Lake astride the modern frontier between Albania and Montenegro. The name may then have expanded and come to be applied to ethnically different peoples such as the Liburni, Delmatae, Iapodes, or the Pannonii.

The Illyrians formed several kingdoms in the central Balkans, and the first known Illyrian king was Bardyllis. Illyrian kingdoms were often in war with ancient Macedonia, and the Illyrian pirates were also a large danger for the neighbouring peoples

The Illyrians were last mentioned as such in Miracula Sancti Demetri (7th century AD), after which there is no other record of the name, except for one tribe of theirs, the Albanians.[2]

Data drawn from history and from linguistic, archaeological, and anthropological studies have led to the conclusion that Albanians are the direct descendants of the ancient Illyrians and that the latter were natives of the lands they inhabited, and the Albanian language derives from the Illyrian language.[3][4][5] However some scholars have disputed such theses, arguing that Illyrians were not autochthonous and that Albanian derived from a dialect of the now-extinct Thracian language.[6]

Since: Feb 07

Albania

#2 Apr 17, 2007
So Can we discus on this topic. I can provide for scietific data on Illiryans and the dscents of Albanian people and language from illyrian language
No-Nation

Athens, Greece

#3 May 8, 2007
First of all I don't believe in
autochthonous theories of any nation

Admixtures,Discontinuities and Gaps are alive and kicking through
history

I may agree or not but Just for the dialogue's sake I put a post
from
http://www.amazon.com/Illyrians-Peoples-Europ...

"NOT MUCH RELIANCE SHOULD PERHAPS BE PLACED ON ATTEMPTS TO IDENTIFY AN ILLYRIAN ANTHROPOLOGICAL TYPE AS SHORT AND DARK SKINNED SIMMILAR TO MODERN ALBANIANS."

Wilkes has been proven CORRECT by science when the Human Genome Project's Y-chromosome study of European populations, confirmed that the vast majority of contemporary Albanians do not share anIllyrian or any Indo-European linneage - they are mostly a pre-IE Mediterranean population.

John Wilkes correctly puts Illyrian descendants among contemporary ex-Yugoslavs, centered around Montenegro and Bosnia and branching out into Dalmatia and south-western Serbia. Wilkes hints that ex-Yugoslavs are slavicized Illyrians and he leans on C.S Coon who insists that Albanians are of mixed Slavic, Thracian, Turkish, Armenoid and Illyrian origin.

This work was published in 1991 and based on the newest excavations undertaken in ex-Illyria. Wilkes brings out plenty of the most recent archaeological and anthropological evidence which other's in his field did not have access to.

Ten years after he published this work, the Human Genome Project's Y-chromosome study proved him correct. Modern science has dealt a huge blow to Albanian attempts to usurpe theIllyrian legacy. He was a decade ahead of his time. Because of his work, many academics within Albania have also come out in favour of accepting the new findings; namely: Kaplan Resuli, Fatos Lubonja, Ardian Qosi and Ardian Vebiu. They are joined by many international critics of the now debunked Albanian-Illyrian theory: Paul, Hirt, Weigand, Tomashek, Georgiev, Pushcariu and many others.

Read this book. Keep in mind that it is based on evidence older works did not have access to and keep in mind that science has proven Wilkes correct ten years after he published this long-overdue honest and objective, thorough analysis of the legacy of one of Europe's oldest civilizations. The Albanians can no longer unjustly monopolise a whole people as they have done in the past.

http://www.amazon.com/Illyrians-Peoples-Europ...

What about the Illyrians language or languages?
bilderberg

Croatia

#4 Jun 28, 2007
The mythology of greek it isn't greek but is Albanian, all the names and words have sense only in albanian language!!! Informed your self take an Albanian dictionary and comparate the worlds by your self!!!
No-Nation

Athens, Greece

#5 Jun 28, 2007
bilderberg wrote:
The mythology of greek it isn't greek but is Albanian, all the names and words have sense only in albanian language!!! Informed your self take an Albanian dictionary and comparate the worlds by your self!!!
you mean Pelasgians

those people were non-indoeuroepean
pre-greeks (Albania is indoeuropean)

Luwian substratum
Tyrrhenian substratum
Minoan substratum
Pelasgian substratum
Egyptian-Semitic substratum
http://www.answers.com/topic/pre-greek-substr...

short and dark
http://www.geraldbrimacombe.com/France/Greece...

I know albanian

but these are coincidences
No-Nation

Athens, Greece

#6 Jun 28, 2007
OUR OBSESSION WITH ORIGINS

1. THE NOBLE PELASGIANS

Somewhere around 1970, in a meeting with representatives of the Youth Organization, at one moment Enver Hoxha suddenly asked about the proceedings of research about Albanian remote origins. One of the present started providing some information about archaeological discoveries concerning Illyrian centers. The Great Leader interrupted him, apparently unsatisfied with this, and said: "What about the Pelasgian Studies?" As nobody was able to refer anything substantial about these non-existent Pelasgian studies, it was Enver Hoxha himself who started to explain the importance of the Pelasgian thesis, as well as to describe some books he had read about the argument, written obviously by French authors.

In my opinion, the research regarding the proto-history of Albanian (language and people) is very exciting, and will certainly give further interesting results. Nevertheless, to the extent that these results will be used by politicians, as a support of their activities (which might well be the noblest possible), they can't retain their scientificity. Greek and Serb nationalisms are full of such bombastic stuff, about origins, race and noble languages. With respect to our neighbors, Albanian nationalism has been far too timid, but this doesn't mean that current Albanian culture should now get seriously involved into this comedy of ancestor graves, old God names, and forgotten Sultan-killing heroes.

A preoccupation with Albanian issues, and even love for Albanian lands and Albanian countrypeople have little to do with the mythic and pseudo-historical instruments used by nationalist ideologues, in order to organize their hysterical herd. We all see what they were able to do with the Serbian people, and push them into medieval hysteria, war and genocide. As far as Albania is concerned, yesterday the myth of noble ("old") origins was used to support the delirium of Communist Albania's uniqueness and glory. Today it might be used to consolate (and make up) for the Albanian misery. Fairy tales might be important for children, and immature cultures. Albania, Kosova, and all other Albanian lands today deserve better.

http://members.aol.com/Plaku/origins.htm

Albanian scholar
Aigest

Tiranė, Albania

#7 Nov 23, 2007
Can I have those data over genoma please. Thank you.
dardani

Jamaica, NY

#8 Dec 6, 2007
Why do modern greeks speak different language from the ancients one???
Daedania

Albania

#9 Dec 28, 2007
Albanians are from ilyrian tribe Albanėt,and a they have a city albanopolis.
jajaja

Mansfield, UK

#10 Jan 10, 2008
Lol Albania owns!!!
Bardhyl

Piran, Slovenia

#11 Jan 25, 2008
I mean look.. The Kosovar Albs and Macedonian Albanians are Illyrian and Albanians from Albania are Pellasgian the fathers of Illyrian and other but ! I think that the Human Project (..) Is not a very helpful thing because From then and till today the Albanians have been under the rule of Greeks , Turks and so on so they can not be pure because no nation today (just those on Islands and High high mountains) is pure like I mean dddd
Bardhyl

Piran, Slovenia

#12 Feb 11, 2008
Well The ancestors of today Albanians were the Illyrian tribe of the Arbereresh reffered as the Arbanitai ! So Albs are definetly Illyrian :D
And the Kosovars are Dardanians along with the macedonian Albs. They are all the same people but only speak in diferent dialects .
drini

Athens, Greece

#13 Feb 22, 2008
we have to look ahead better!!
Edmond

Tirana, Albania

#14 Mar 6, 2008
Shkodra is one of the most ancient cities in Albania. It was founded in the 4th century B.C. as the centre of the Illyrian tribe of the Labeates. Shkodra-from-the-castle Under the rule of the Illyrian king Gent, it became the capital of the Illyrian state.

The people who resisted the ottoman devestation were Labeates and led by an albanian, Lek Dukagjini. Some Labeates are migrated in the southern Albania, who today are referred only as labs.

Now the pure Labeates are only the people that are living in Mirdita and Malesia e Madhe. They are the original illyrians even today, with they own old culture and traditions (The Code of Leke Dukagjini). I am from Mirdita.
USResearcher

United States

#15 Mar 6, 2008
Hi,
The Serbian guy who posted this made sure everything is in CAPITAL to use it for propaganda.

In case that is true, not sure why J.Wilkes may have written "SHORT AND DARK SKINNED SIMMILAR TO MODERN ALBANIANS" but something is certain "MOST OF ALBANIANS, HAVE STRONG WHITE IDENTITY AND FEATURES"! A FEW OF THEM ARE NORDIC TYPE,which we can't find in greeks or southern italians but beeing found in Macedonia, Croatia and Serbia. I have been all over balkans and in Albania too. Albania was in real chaos but you would see clearly there was nothing to talk about "dark skinned" people. While in some islands in greece, I have seen 'very' dark skinned people but with European anthropological characteristics. In Southern Italy, or Napoli, I have see a lot of people who barely can make it for white.

I think in that part of the world, Balkans, there is so much hatred that even though they are 99.99% similar by look, culture, behavior etc they still try to lower down each-other.

Peace!
The GReat IllryiaN Race

Nowa Sól, Poland

#16 Mar 13, 2008
i just read what that greek wrote short dark skinned albanians lol i am just amazed how can a greek refer to some one as dark, the greeks are the darkest so called europeans, they have african DNA from ethiopa.
karaiskakisJunio r

Athens, Greece

#17 Apr 9, 2008
DNA from Ethiopia ? LOLOLOL

Once againa the whole world sees that YOU are uneducated and you have nothing to show in World History, except wars and hatred.

Get a life and educate yourself, we are in the 21 century, read dna analysis reports of the greeks!, but from sources that are Scientifically right and not product of goverment setups (like the dna tests from the skopjan republic). LOL

I think you people are just jealous that the greeks are educating the world in peace,stability,science and friendship.(Everybody refers to words such as Democracy, Olympic Games, Physics, Chemistry, Astronomy, Philosophics etc etc etc

So EDUCATE yourself, before opening your mouth and talkin weird things, because that only lets you look like uneducated, propagandistic and dumb.
Kassander

Hartford, CT

#18 Apr 24, 2008
Mr. greek person, you are definitely wrong, illyrians not even close to slavs, not even a little bit. I ll tell you why, you pathetic excuse for a greek. My friend vaisilis, a very educated greek and he comes from a respectable house or should i say family.He said that the illyrians are pellasgians but they are the pelasgians that didnt mix with other races such as, the helenas and the persians or the romans. The illyrians or the illiros as he called them are a true peasgic branch of northern parts of maccedonia and albania and the entire continent of yougoslavia, such as montenegro, bosnia, croatia, and part of hungary. He said that most of the illyrians in macedonia and albania and epirus didnt mix with other races because they wanted to keep their pelasgian identity. The illyrians of epirus, he called thesprotis and epirotis. He said they werent greek but unfortunately some of them mixed with greeks and lost their identity but for most of them, they still are albanian-pelasgic tribes and they speak their own language. Vasilis also mentioned that the thracian tribes mixed with the illyrian tribes of macedonia which are the called argead tribes of macedonia-they were illyrian too but much more sophisticated in terms of democratic views. Vasilis said," that most of the illyrian-thracian tribes of macedonia survived and kept their identity, and thats why we have albanians today in macedonia who speak their pelasgic language. He said some of them mixed with greek tribes in thesaly for them was unfortunate because they lost their identity. He said clearly, that alexander the great did come from a PELASGIAN-ALBANIAN TRIBE FROM MACEDONIA BUT HE MIXED AND LOST HIS IDENTITY. I would greece and macedonia and parts of albanian are not that different, as the matter of fact we are all cousins except we evolved differently. That was Vasilis point of view. God bless that nice gentlement because he saved my cousin in greece from turkish mobsters. I guess he knows the truth about my pelasgian origin and he said Id rather help my own pelasgian brothers instead of the mongolians. He was chrisitian too but he said it doesnt matter what religion you are as long as you are a true greek meaning a true pelasgian-albanian. We have to help each other out for the last war against our persian, turkish, and slavic enemies in the future if we want to survive as a whole.
I am kassander of macedonia
I am a true Pelasgi-illyrian, orginially from LIHNIDAS.
The greek race needs to know the truth about themselves because it was the true pelasgi-albanian tribes that saved them from the persians, egyptians, and other filthy tribes from the east. They should do the same for us, now. My gread grandfather, god bless his soul, his father's name was dorian. His mothers name was Larissa. He never critisiced the true greeks because he knew that we are not that different except we evolved differently. He said the slavs and the turks were the biggest threat at that time. Its true that i am muslim, but being muslim saved my pelasgian identity. Religion is one thing and nationalism is another thing.

Lets stop racism.
Mike

Walnut, CA

#19 Apr 29, 2008
Albanians are the last standing tribe of ancient Illyrians.That what my books at UCLA writte too.
Shkoder

Orlando, FL

#20 May 28, 2008
USResearcher wrote:
Hi,
The Serbian guy who posted this made sure everything is in CAPITAL to use it for propaganda.
In case that is true, not sure why J.Wilkes may have written "SHORT AND DARK SKINNED SIMILAR TO MODERN ALBANIANS" but something is certain "MOST OF ALBANIANS, HAVE STRONG WHITE IDENTITY AND FEATURES"! A FEW OF THEM ARE NORDIC TYPE,which we can't find in Greeks or southern Italians but being found in Macedonia, Croatia and Serbia. I have been all over Balkans and in Albania too. Albania was in real chaos but you would see clearly there was nothing to talk about "dark skinned" people. While in some islands in Greece, I have seen 'very' dark skinned people but with European anthropological characteristics. In Southern Italy, or Napoli, I have see a lot of people who barely can make it for white.
I think in that part of the world, Balkans, there is so much hatred that even though they are 99.99% similar by look, culture, behavior etc they still try to lower down each-other.
Peace!
I agree with you and are right about the part when you said " Albanian still today practices the Code of Lek Dugagjinit" Although the different is that Shkodra and upper Shkodra "the Albanian Highlander" they follow still today, Lek Dugagjinit which still today people practice the canunun of Lek Dugagjinit, the Law of Lek Dugagjini, witch is tooth for tooth,for eye and blood for blood.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anthropology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 15 min NotQuiter 225,949
News La. Choctaw-Apache Tribe growing (Dec '08) Jul 2 Choctaw Apache Me... 21
News From riches to ruins: Ancient Greeks 'stored mi... Jul 1 SpaceBlues 1
News Mummified Remains Found in Indiana Jun 29 wichita-rick 6
News El Paso Museum of Archaeology trails need repair Jun 29 eyes of texas 1
News Islamic State Group Blows up 2 Mausoleums in Sy... Jun 26 Mawar 2
News Tonga's Nukuleka, the birth place of Polynesia (Jan '08) Jun 20 Frankie Lucas 1,972
More from around the web