State inspector closes Lamotte's

Full story: The York Daily Record

On July 1, an inspector with the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture shut down Lamotte's Restaurant in New Freedom for violations stemming from "gross unsanitary condition," according to a recent health inspection.

Comments (Page 4)

Showing posts 61 - 75 of75
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
WHAT

Villanova, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

Former employee wrote:
Larry never treated the employees bad, he just didnt do anything. He was lazy. There were 2 decent managers and one great chef in that place 8 or 9 years ago. The dining room manager left, the kitchen manager left, and the chef was fired. Larry decided to take on the dining room management himself, and he hired some crackhead as a chef / kitchen manager. He tried brining in managers here and there to run the dining room, but nothing ever really worked out for whatever reason and it all fell back on him, and he just didnt care. He got married and moved to Kentucky, and with no real good management in place, the business just didnt stand a chance. As others have stated, the people who worked there did the best they could to keep it going, but with no direction or funding from the owner, they didnt have a chance. Surprised it lasted as long as it did.
And I will say it again and maybe others will learn a lesson from your situation but in a case like this, you need to report it to the labor board. I worked for Mike Carlini years ago at The Hill and my paychecks kept bouncing so I reported it to the labor board. I began getting non-rubber checks from then on. These issues need to be reported to protect yourself, not the owner.
WHAT

Villanova, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

Former employee wrote:
Larry never treated the employees bad, he just didnt do anything. He was lazy. There were 2 decent managers and one great chef in that place 8 or 9 years ago. The dining room manager left, the kitchen manager left, and the chef was fired. Larry decided to take on the dining room management himself, and he hired some crackhead as a chef / kitchen manager. He tried brining in managers here and there to run the dining room, but nothing ever really worked out for whatever reason and it all fell back on him, and he just didnt care. He got married and moved to Kentucky, and with no real good management in place, the business just didnt stand a chance. As others have stated, the people who worked there did the best they could to keep it going, but with no direction or funding from the owner, they didnt have a chance. Surprised it lasted as long as it did.
And I suggest you still do that if he owes you any back pay. Call the labor board in Harrisburg and they will send you a form to fill out. You might even be able to find the form on line. In my case, years ago, they took a statement right from me on the phone and then sent me a form to fill out. It might be different these days but I would call them if you are owed any money.
former employee 2

Waynesboro, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

Judged:

I read all of the responses on here and I appreciate anyone who supported the employees at Lamotte's. What a shame it was to lose our jobs, I worked there for many years and am proud that I did. I will miss my fellow co-workers. And they were not as someone said "backyard hillbillies" We are all decent people who did our best in a bad situation. As far as reporting Larry, yes we should have and I'm sure in the back of our minds we all knew that. I guess we held on to the hope that a new owner would come in and save us all. As far as Management goes, it was severly lacking. The bar had none and the dining room just had a server who made 3.50/hr and worked just like the other servers. I will admit that in the last year the place just crumbled under all of us, we tried hard to keep up with ALL of the issues....Gas getting shutting off,cable,electric etc...When the paychecks stopped coming people knew it was rough out there and finding a job was not easy. Trust me we all tried. So the tips are what kept us there. All of those local people that kept the money coming in. I will miss Lamotte's, it was a big part of York County for a long time. Cleaning supplies were not provided for the employees, we brought in our own. As far as the soda dispenser in the bar area I guess it wasn't cleaned properly. I can't really say what happened there. There was alot of issues in that place and yes Larry did use the employees, he had great ones...ones that don't come around to often. I have worked in this buisness a long time and I have never seen such dedicated workers. I am sorry to anyone who feels that Lamotte's wasn't a clean establishment....We really tried. And with no help and no money we did the best we could. Sorry to anyone who feels sickened by eating there. The food was awesome, and we did our best. Hats off to the chef who kept it running as long as he could. I will miss you all. In closing....don't let what happened with Lamotte's bring negativity....just repect what it used to be...it deserves at least that much!!!
Red Stook

Shippensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

Judged:

Although LaMotte's is less than a mile from us, our last visit there was many years ago, when we won a drawing for a free meal at LaMotte's from one of the local high school booster events (back when we had kids in high school). We cashed in the winnings at LaMotte's shortly after with my wife trying the "best crab cakes in York County". Well, York County is far from the salt water....too far I guess, because her free meal resulted in late night nausea and other gastronomic distress highlighted by projectile vomiting. Of course, we haven't been back since. We speculated that they had that plate ready to serve since the drawing several weeks before.
wow

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

Thank you. I totally agree with that previous statement 100%. Even if Larry was there, it's not his job to tell the staff members what to do. What did they expect, things were going to stay clean forever? I'm sure this is a difficult time for all of Lamotte's employees and my sympathy goes out to all of them, however, they did dig themsevles into a hole without Larry's help by keeping things in the state that they were. That is by no means Larry's fault. It was just his employees, especially his managers, being irresponsible.
WHAT

Villanova, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

Judged:

wow wrote:
Thank you. I totally agree with that previous statement 100%. Even if Larry was there, it's not his job to tell the staff members what to do. What did they expect, things were going to stay clean forever? I'm sure this is a difficult time for all of Lamotte's employees and my sympathy goes out to all of them, however, they did dig themsevles into a hole without Larry's help by keeping things in the state that they were. That is by no means Larry's fault. It was just his employees, especially his managers, being irresponsible.
I am very much in agreement with the last few posts and the varied opinions. As for what "Former Employee 2" stated, I really sympathize with all of you who struggled to keep the place running in order to have a paycheck but if that is the case, then I believe you all should have had an employee meeting together and appointed someone to take charge so that the money would be coming in to pay the bills and keep supplies in the restaurant. A bit late now but any manager (which I realize there was not one) would know to do. I am an office manager in York and my boss lives in Colorado and I take total control of how things are operated in the York Office no matter where my boss is located. My boss is elated at how I take charge without having to be told what to do in order to keep a business up and running. I am from the SYC area and grew up always knowing Lamotte's was a historical part of the southern end of the county and it is a shame it has been demised. I do commend the employees for doing what they could but I also think a bit more could have been done to restore the quality and atmosphere. That is my opinion and I hope you understand what I am saying.
Seen It

West Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

I worked there for a couple months and walked out because the kitchen was so filthy. They would close at night leave dirty utensils, equipment and rags out and clean up half of the kitchen at best. Then the head chef would come in and leave and not say a word. There was grease and water dripping from the kitchen ceiling. The place was disgusting then and that was in 2007 and nothing has changed since then. I've seen SO CALLED health inspections and you are lucky if the inspector even enters the kitchen on an annual inspection. Then they give out 98's to make it look like they found something wrong. Lamotte's isn't the only New Freedom restaurant that deserves a closer look. Go in The Hodle and walk to the back door and look in the kitchen you can see how filthy there kitchen is and they have an inspection report hanging on the wall. If you want to eat in New Freedom your best bet is probably Rutter's
WHAT

Villanova, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

To be quite logical, if we knew what goes on in every restaurant kitchen there is, I bet half of us would choose to eat at home. Even your fine dining establishments. I worked in several of them in York County as a server and a bartender. One place I worked at, I was told to put the left over dinner rolls that the customers did not eat, in a bin where they made croutons for salads out of these rolls after they were possibly fingered by customers. I always threw them away because I would not serve food to a customer that I would not eat myself. So in reality, everywhere has their dirty little secrets. Be aware!
Enough Already

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

When we first moved to the area we were told LaMotte's was the best restaurant in southern PA. Went there, liked it and was happy to have something close by.
About 3-4 years ago, went there for one of their crab nights and could not believe how downhill the place had went. They had mis-printed the coupon and wanted to charge us more then the printed advertised coupon.'OK' we realized mistakes are made but the overall feel of the place was that it needed a good scrubbing and overall of furnishings, decor, etc. It was the last time we went.
The very least a restaurant should be is CLEAN, and LaMotte's was not.
Sorry to hear of folks losing their jobs and not getting paid.
Marc

State College, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2009

Judged:

Sounds like a job for Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares -too bad it's too late :)
Jane

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2009

I have just read the other comments about Lamotte's . Yes I do agree that anyone could look at the whole building and see that it needed repairs but it still had good food, the people that worked there through the years worked very hard and even as a hometown girl thinks that it is a sad that it has come to this, yes it is a symptom of york county that the officials let things go until it is so far gone that it takes a person with alot of money and time to even try to get something straightened out
Help Wanted

Philipsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2009

Where did the Lamotte's chef who made the BEST DARN CRAB CAKES IN YORK COUNTY GO
YorkEatsCrap

Leola, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2009

Jane wrote:
I have just read the other comments about Lamotte's . Yes I do agree that anyone could look at the whole building and see that it needed repairs but it still had good food, the people that worked there through the years worked very hard and even as a hometown girl thinks that it is a sad that it has come to this, yes it is a symptom of york county that the officials let things go until it is so far gone that it takes a person with alot of money and time to even try to get something straightened out
"Someone with alot of money" ---- You mean, like the OWNER?? Apparently the guy reaped the money and to h*ll with putting any money back in to make the place half presentable. Typical York County slum owner / rest owner. The guy should be charged with all sorts of violations.$50.00 says he probably did all kind of trickery to his IRS tax returns as well. If he's smart he'll take the $$$$$ he made and leave the country.

What a douchebag for ruining a once-nice establishment. Maybe we'll get lucky and some day a crab will walk up and bite his itty-bitty wang off!! Poetic Justice as it's finest!!!
Bel Air Man 7765

Delta, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

Home Town wrote:
<quoted text>
Wade Portner, The New Freedom & Stewartstown’s SO CALLED building code officer. Couldn’t find his A$$ with bought hands and no I didn't received any violations. But as with you I can spot stupid when I see it But on like you HO stupid one I know what I'm talking about. And know I’m not going back to Maryland.
I just read this quote from TOPIX, and the reply that followed was:

Just Sayin wrote:
This zoning officer/inspector is the same ass that calls himself a zoning officer/inspector in Stewartstown and you are so right but Stewartstown is great at wasting the tax payer’s money. Just another example of the trained people they hire WHAT A JOKE
Sounds like some people have recieved violations of there own and are bitter because of their ignorance of the rules and laws that govern a commonwealth, might want to remember Rt83 runs south, go back to Maryland.

WOW! I've been reading a lot about this Wade Portner guy, Zoning Officer from New Freedom and Stewartstown Borough. I got to say, it's all true! Seems to me like he kust can't get the job done. Man, what a nincompoop.
jon

Montgomery Village, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Well , as the 1 who detected the problems first the problem started 20 or 30 years ago with excess of snow on the roof cracked 2 or 3 roof rafters buckled the roof which created a leak that was not repaired for many many years . then when the first floor was remodeled and the bar redone a HVAC man ,cut out some very very important suppor timbers .

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 75 of75
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••