Immigration bill envisions new farm w...

Immigration bill envisions new farm worker program

There are 2 comments on the story from Apr 3, 2013, titled Immigration bill envisions new farm worker program. In it, reports that:

Sweeping immigration legislation taking shape in the Senate will aim to overhaul the nation's agriculture worker program to create a steady supply of labor for farmers and growers, who rely more than any other industry on workers who have come to the country illegally.

Join the discussion below, or

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1 Apr 3, 2013
So I guess our unemployment rate is down to ZERO? Otherwise, why let in foreign workers who just drive down wages?

Atlanta, GA

#2 Apr 3, 2013
Alaska Rep. Don Young walks back 'wetbacks'
Posted by
CNN Political Unit

(CNN) Longtime Alaska Rep. Don Young, 79, attempted to clarify Thursday his use of the derogatory term "wetbacks" to describe immigrant workers in an interview earlier this week.

"I used a term that was commonly used during my days growing up on a farm in Central California," the Republican congressman said in a statement issued to a local television station in Anchorage. "I know that this term is not used in the same way nowadays and I meant no disrespect."

Young, Alaska's sole congressman, originally made the comment during a sit-down interview with Ketchikan Public Radio earlier this week. Talking about how technology is affecting the economy, he referenced an anecdote from his family's farm in California.

"My father had a ranch; we used to have 50-60 wetbacks to pick tomatoes," Young said. "It takes two people to pick the same tomatoes now. It's all done by machine."

The word is widely considered an ethnic slur and generally refers to those from Mexico who come to the United States illegally by crossing the Rio Grande River.

The 21-term congressman later issued the statement, which didn't come as a full apology but sought to explain his reasoning behind using the word. The word was used by the U.S. government in the 1950s for "Operation Wetback," a massive crackdown on illegal immigration along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Young's comments come at a time when the Republican Party is attempting to rebrand itself and expand its outreach to various minority groups, chief among them are Latinos.

Senate Minority Whip John Cornyn, R-Texas, blasted Young in a statement, saying migrant workers come to the country for work and opportunities, not to "hear ethnic slurs and derogatory language from elected officials."

"The comments used by Rep. Young do nothing to elevate our party, political discourse or the millions who come here looking for economic opportunity," he continued.

GOP Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana focused on the impact of damaging comments earlier this year, when he said at the Republican National Committee winter meeting that the GOP has "to stop being the stupid party" and should start talking "like adults."

"It's no secret we've had a number of Republicans this year damage our brands with bizarre and offensive comments," he said. "I'm here to say we've had enough of that."

"the GOP has to stop being the stupid party" Uhmm, BROUHAHAHAHA!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Agriculture Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Water shortages will put 5 billion people at ri... 4 min No Joke 8
News New Mexico produces less chile in 2017 16 hr CallousOneToo 2
News Elk complaints mount - Ruidoso News (Dec '09) Mon bob hennis 19
News These Farmworkers Know How to End Sexual Harass... Sun ny cesspool 1
News Long-term cover crops can make a difference Mar 17 Pest Almighty 1
News Trump should should tour Central Valley farm fi... Mar 16 Boll Weevil 3
News Food list grows for WIC users (Oct '09) Mar 15 Miranda Jordan 49