As stink bugs rest, researchers prepare defense

Full story: Evening Sun

Stink bugs might have caught experts by surprise this year, but come spring, scientists plan to be ready to face another possible infestation of the shield-shaped stinker.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 33 of33
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Tammy

Warrington, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2010

P.S. I am from PA, not Brooklyn...
Local 2

Gettysburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2010

I also live in a wooded area. If they were worth money , I wouldn't have a one!
I was hoping my guinea hens would feast on them since 90% of their diet is insects, even they wouldn't touch them.
This past summer the front of our house looked like the black plague as the stink bugs completely covered the siding. Then they decided to make their way indoors through the window a/c units. I would literally find hundreds at a time hiding behind wall hangings and in closet corners. I happened upon a what I thought was an empty mouthwash bottle that I was going to use to scoop some up and drown them. The bottle was not empty and I found that mouthwash was a great solution for a kill, and it kept the odor to a minimum. So now I keep a bottle available with about a half inch of mouthwash in the bottom to get all those that pop out when the room gets warm. Whatever works!
Tom

Etters, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2010

I was outside working this summer and toward the end of the day I opened a bottle of Yuengling Lager. I was drinking it a little at a time. I took my final swig and something hard came out into my mouth. A damn stink bug crawled into my bottle while it sat on the picnic table. I about puked. Thats it, this is war!!!
fanofsummer

Bedford, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2010

Natty Doh wrote:
Didja notice these little buggers showed up about the same time the Obama took over? Coincidence? I think not! The Republicans will solve this mess.
Natty Doh - you brighten up my day!!
Brian

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

They are just now considering this an infestation? I hate beaurocracy... I've been contacting the Dept of Agriculture for 4+ years now, citing this infestation, and they've never responded.

It's a plague! Someone needs to figure out something.
Tom

Etters, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

These bureaucrats only respond to this stuff when it affects them directly. They could care less about the individuals
August West

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2011

Hmmmm wrote:
Nothing good comes from China!!! Dont they have a pesticide???
Maybe if we buy the stinkbugs lead paint toys from China they will die.
August West

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2011

I am from PA, not Detroit, MI, thank God!
August West

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2011

Tom wrote:
I was outside working this summer and toward the end of the day I opened a bottle of Yuengling Lager. I was drinking it a little at a time. I took my final swig and something hard came out into my mouth. A damn stink bug crawled into my bottle while it sat on the picnic table. I about puked. Thats it, this is war!!!
UGH! How nasty! I would have probably gone off!
Glade

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2011

My Chickens love them. I move boxes around in my barn and there are hundreds under and in between them. I usually smash the bunch and move on. Lately I've noticed the chickens feasting on the remains and any others they can find. They are free range and use to eating any bugs they catch... Maybe I'll bring them in the house for a bit :)
Tom

Etters, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2011

August West wrote:
<quoted text>
UGH! How nasty! I would have probably gone off!
I nearly did...
Off Track

Gettysburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2011

Glade wrote:
My Chickens love them. I move boxes around in my barn and there are hundreds under and in between them. I usually smash the bunch and move on. Lately I've noticed the chickens feasting on the remains and any others they can find. They are free range and use to eating any bugs they catch... Maybe I'll bring them in the house for a bit :)
I may have have to become a vegetarian now ... ;)
Tahira Nicholas

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Tammy wrote:
About 3 weeks ago, I awoke to a horrible smell of stink bug in bed. My arm started to burn and my skin became discolored like a burn. Now the spots are red, swollen and itching. I can't get it to heal. If I rub the spots, they start to burn again. Beware, it didn't bite but the scent they release actually burns your skin. I hope they find something to kill these things soon.
How long did it take to go away? One woke me up crawling on my leg and I killed it with my hand in my sleep. Now my hand is like an oraange brown color

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 33 of33
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••