New state laws make undercover probes of farm operations risky

There are 5 comments on the Aug 24, 2012, McClatchy story titled New state laws make undercover probes of farm operations risky. In it, McClatchy reports that:

The undercover investigator who secretly videotaped alleged animal abuses at a meat processing plant in California’s San Joaquin Valley would have been a criminal for doing the same thing in Utah, potentially subject to a year in jail.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at McClatchy.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#1 Aug 25, 2012
Just not animals, everything else is okay? Corporations can catch you on video for stealing but you can't catch them for crimes on video...get the picture. The double standard applies as soon as the court gets involved, see how the system works.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#2 Aug 25, 2012
that is corruption...

“Bowhunting Is Euphoric”

Since: Jan 09

Double Lung em

#3 Aug 25, 2012
Most of these laws make it a criminal offense to misrepresent your reason for employment. If your intention for hiring on is in reality to collect "evidence" against your employer, you are in essence a spy and not an employee. I say bust these AR dinks.
sad

Wiggins, CO

#4 Aug 26, 2012
So i should b able to get a job with someone, let's say as a maid, then b able to secretly film them having sex and release that to the media or on line?
BerksBound

United States

#5 Sep 17, 2012
Examples given by other commenters here are irrelevant. What the states are trying to hide is people BREAKING THE LAW.

Here's a better example: Should it be illegal for an employee to video tape their boss raping someone?

This law is about silencing whistle blowers from exposing people that are breaking the law. Period.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 12 min replaytime 160,855
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 41 min Valerie 324,392
News Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) 1 hr Michelle G 639
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 2 hr NotQuiter 217,243
News Disease Spread Among Species Is Predictable 8 hr WooF 3
News Texans hoping to turn U.S.-Cuba thaw into cold ... 9 hr Doc Proper 5
News US announces plans to reduce agricultural carbo... 9 hr Sterkfontein Swar... 11
More from around the web