Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 226066 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#172851 Apr 22, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no proper word for religion in Hebrew. The closest we have is "the law". Religion, the concept, came later, from Greek philosophy.
The earlier musing was regarding Bufords use of the word purity. My understanding was that he was offering a Christian definition
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." (NIV)
The Jewish religion does not share that concept of purity. Observing the law is a way to effectuate a sacred bond and not to effectuate purity, and it is linked to performing wordly activities, not in avoiding them.
Secondly, the goal to perform such activities is not to expunge sin, as in the case on several Christian theologies, as Jews do not share the concept of original sin either.
Purity is the Essence of God and Gods nature is impeccable.
That is the Christian view of God.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#172852 Apr 22, 2013
Much before Moses could tell us to honor our parents ,this trite moral practice was known to thinking man. The 10 sayings of the mass murderer Moses came much later. LOL.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#172853 Apr 22, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
This might be a response to James....Same idea, without the confounding pollution concept.
http://judaism.about.com/od/judaismbasics/a/w...
There is a story in the Talmud that is often told when someone is asked to summarize the essence of Judaism. During the first century B.C.E. a great rabbi named Hillel was asked to sum up Judaism while standing on one foot. He replied: "Certainly! What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah. The rest is commentary, now go and study." (Talmud Shabbat 31A.) Hence, at its core Judaism is concerned with the well-being of humanity. The particulars of every Jew's individual belief system is the commentary.
The difference between Jews and Christians is that Christianity is concerned about the Spiritual well being of humanity, the moral conscience, that allow man to make moral decisions based on the moral laws of God.

While from the Jews point:
Hence, at its core Judaism is concerned with the well-being of humanity. The particulars of every Jew's individual belief system is the commentary.
That view point is based on secularism, which allows humanity to form their own set of moral values contradictory to Gods moral laws.

It is a system of values if it feels good to me its okay and those that aspire to those set of values should be helped to maintain their well being under those set of values.

The Jews are guiding our society in that direction.
Gay life style, Gay marriage, single parenting, free sex, in other words if it feels good do it.
And this is the type of society we live in today.

And we are Trillions of dollars in debt trying to help those people with feel good values to maintain their well being.
LMAO!

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#172854 Apr 22, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>The difference between Jews and Christians is that Christianity is concerned about the Spiritual well being of humanity, the moral conscience, that allow man to make moral decisions based on the moral laws of God.
While from the Jews point:
Hence, at its core Judaism is concerned with the well-being of humanity. The particulars of every Jew's individual belief system is the commentary.
That view point is based on secularism, which allows humanity to form their own set of moral values contradictory to Gods moral laws.
It is a system of values if it feels good to me its okay and those that aspire to those set of values should be helped to maintain their well being under those set of values.
The Jews are guiding our society in that direction.
Gay life style, Gay marriage, single parenting, free sex, in other words if it feels good do it.
And this is the type of society we live in today.
And we are Trillions of dollars in debt trying to help those people with feel good values to maintain their well being.
LMAO!
Thank you for the scape goating

now please go home

Location hidden

#172855 Apr 22, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>Purity is the Essence of God and Gods nature is impeccable.
That is the Christian view of God.
Gods nature is impeccable, but you are still a bigot

Location hidden

#172856 Apr 22, 2013
JOEL wrote:
Much before Moses could tell us to honor our parents ,this trite moral practice was known to thinking man. The 10 sayings of the mass murderer Moses came much later. LOL.
so? Does that make the sayings less appropriate? I am puzzled by the implications of your value system.
Jesus is

Blacktown, Australia

#172857 Apr 22, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
All gospels are forgeries. GOB sounds interesting and better.
THE "INTERESTING' GOSPEL OF BARNABAS:

1) The Gospel of Barnabas was made between A.D. 1300-1350.
Chapters 82-83 says "Years of the Jubilee...every 100 years."

THE YEARS OF THE JUBILEE WAS EVERY 50 YEARS UNTIL:
the year A.D. 1300 when Pope Boniface VIII instituted the Jubilee as a centenary (100 year) event.
Pope Clement VI reversed Boniface's decision and celebrated the next Jubilee in 1350. This was the only time that the Year of Jubilee was intended as a centenary occasion.
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Singapore

#172858 Apr 22, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>You got problems.

You are not born again.

In John 3:3, the term “born-again” literally means “to be born from above,” is what happens by Jesus sending His Spirit to those who respond to the gospel. The very essence of regeneration is by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. It is an unseen work that one receives when they believe, they are then sealed with the Holy Spirit (Eph. 1:13).

Born of God” To be begotten of God- to have his life, that is eternal along with the characteristics born anew is to love God and will certainly translate in loving the brethren. 1 Pt.1:22; 2 Pt.1:3 tells us we have been given His divine nature v.:5-8 “But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

The context of Jn. 3:5 must be related to Jesus’ previous statement in Jn. 3:3 :“Unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” There is only one new birth mentioned in this verse and it is from the Spirit as other Scriptures uphold. John 3:6-7: "That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. "Do not marvel that I said to you,'You must be born again..”’
Actually, I have no problems. One does not need to be born again. All one has to do is to repent sincerely and turn to God Almighty and be righteous.

Read John 3 along with me and see how hilarious it is. Basically every line is off-topic.

Read this:

"Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council. He came to Jesus at night and said,“Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”

Jesus replied,“Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again."

Nicodemus did not ask any question. He just praised Jesus and what did Jesus do? He went off-topic like you and said, "Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again."

The man had not asked, "Rabbi, how can I see the kingdom of God?"

Totally irrelevant response! This is how crafty men made the tapestry patches in the gospels.

The rest of your quotes are junk and stuff.
Jesus is

Blacktown, Australia

#172859 Apr 22, 2013
THE"INTERESTING GOSPEL OF BARNABAS:

Chapter 3 "The birth of Christ is described as having been painless." This belief was not part of the Church before Thomas Aquinas (who died in 1278).
Peregrine Took

Hurricane, WV

#172860 Apr 22, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
It does not say at all that the Father resurrected him. We have told you that resurrection of Jesus is a hoax. So, don't talk about that bull shit.
An empty cell does not mean that the prisoner has escaped. He might be in the prison laundry or the kitchen or playing with other prisoners.
Not a single person saw Jesus getting up. Even Peter went home wondering what had happened.
You weren't there, so why do you write as though your mere opinion is fact? Don't tell me it's because Mohammad said thus and such about it. He wasn't there, either, and it really doesn't matter if you believe that his "revelations" are the pure and unadulterated word of "Allah." You have no proof of it, at all, and neither did he.
Peregrine Took

Hurricane, WV

#172861 Apr 22, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the scape goating
now please go home
Landscape goating is when you use goats as lawnmowers.
Jesus is

Blacktown, Australia

#172862 Apr 22, 2013
THE INTERESTING" GOSPEL OF BARNABAS:

Jesus and His disciples are said to have gone for the 40-day fast to Mount Sinai (GoB, Ch. 92) which is about 450 km away.
Jesus is

Blacktown, Australia

#172863 Apr 22, 2013
THE "INTERESTING" GOSPEL OF BARABAS:

Chapter 54 of an Italian text of the GoB mentions a denarius, which is made up of 60 minuti. These gold coins were used only in Spain under Khalif Abdul Malik (in 685 A.D.).
Jesus is

Blacktown, Australia

#172864 Apr 22, 2013
THE "INTERESTING GOSPEL OF BARNABAS:

Chapter 152 "Soldiers rolled out of the temple like casks of wood." Wooden barrels were invented in Gaul (France) and were not used in the East in New Testament times. They used wineskins (Matthew 9:17).
Peregrine Took

Hurricane, WV

#172865 Apr 22, 2013
bmz wrote:
One of the bomber has already gone to hell.
You know that for a fact, do you?
bmz

Singapore

#172866 Apr 22, 2013
Peregrine Took wrote:
<quoted text>You weren't there, so why do you write as though your mere opinion is fact? Don't tell me it's because Mohammad said thus and such about it. He wasn't there, either, and it really doesn't matter if you believe that his "revelations" are the pure and unadulterated word of "Allah." You have no proof of it, at all, and neither did he.
No, Buford, the conclusion had nothing to do with Muhammad. Even the disciples and the Church fathers were not there. And notice that Peter, after visiting the empty tomb, went back home wondering what had happened.

I came to that conclusion after reading the gospels. No one saw Jesus getting up. If anyone did, please let me know.
bmz

Singapore

#172867 Apr 22, 2013
Peregrine Took wrote:
You know that for a fact, do you?
Yes! Qur'aan confirms that.

Don't you want him to go to hell? Or do you think Jesus would try to get him entry into his Father's Mansion?
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#172868 Apr 22, 2013
@ FRIJOLES:

I laughed to read you type that some God revealed this trite and age-old commandment of respecting parentgs to Moses that existed tens of thousands of years before Moses was born. LMAO.

My intention is to show that Moses' teachings are neither unique nor profound. He simply repeated what every parent tells its kid - that parents should be respected.

This ordinary teaching is as old as thinking humanity

I wonder what value system Moses had considering the fact that this demon-worshipping asura was a mass murderer and a human sacrificing pervert.

Location hidden

#172869 Apr 22, 2013
Peregrine Took wrote:
<quoted text>Landscape goating is when you use goats as lawnmowers.
I have been tempted to do this at times.

As it is, I junked my lawn mower a few years back and bought a push mower. I get great exercise, but the blades provides a selective advantage to certain weeds. After a few seasons, the results are kind of interesting from a Darwinian perspective.

Location hidden

#172870 Apr 22, 2013
JOEL wrote:
@ FRIJOLES:
I laughed to read you type that some God revealed this trite and age-old commandment of respecting parentgs to Moses that existed tens of thousands of years before Moses was born. LMAO.
My intention is to show that Moses' teachings are neither unique nor profound. He simply repeated what every parent tells its kid - that parents should be respected.
This ordinary teaching is as old as thinking humanity
I wonder what value system Moses had considering the fact that this demon-worshipping asura was a mass murderer and a human sacrificing pervert.
You wasted a post to tell me that honor your parents was probably around longer than the torah? And you accuse ME of being trite?

Read yourself sometime.

And while you are at it, try following the conversation, and maybe understanding WHY I cited that commandment (or any commandment).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min Subduction Zone 169,174
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 42 min -Dont Panic- 333,426
News If we're erasing racist symbols, what about 'Je... 7 hr Oh No You Di-nt 1
News After being grounded by lack of rules, U.S. agr... 14 hr Bama Yankee 6
News Episcopal Church Votes To Withdraw Investments ... 16 hr RevKen 5
News US appeals court upholds EPA plan to clean up C... 16 hr halo13del 1
News Drought cuts size of Canada's cattle herds Mon Gourd Steaves Wife 2
More from around the web