Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 254808 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#164085 Feb 17, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus is God and more powerfull then St John.
I would say that Jhn does have a few stories written about him that seem to point to an actual person, be it in a somewhat different time.
So he is a cruch to give the character jesus more veracity.

But how would you ever be able to reason that jesus is god?
Mind i'm not talking dogma now.
For your information, not even the entire church and related borrowed philosophies (Aristotle f.i.) have managed to do this convincingly.
Alex123 aka WM

London, UK

#164086 Feb 17, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
4.) As far as i understood he steted that the righteous i.e. followers of the LAW, thus torah, thus jews did not need saving but those that did not, the once who had no idea of the book or lived lives that contrasted the meaning so amhara or criminals, or samaritans, so those that had drifted as in having no idea or opposed, where to become his flock.
Well that would be gentile as in non-jewish.
But i'll grant that you can read anything ou want given all the different theologies and opinions collected.
Best to keep in mnd that John is much later written theology so in effct talking about the three gospels (that were also invented based on rumour) and how to interpret them.
John is honestly a load of nonsense made up long after Jesus to literally blame the Jews for most of the problems! It certainly seems very vindictive.

There is also another important point.
Jesus seems a true revolutonary...who challenged the establishment that was more concerned with "form" over "substance".

Just because a person called himself a Jew did not entitle him/her to favours from God and Jesus certainly reminded the people that there were many arrogant snobs who would not enter God's kingdom.

According to Jesus just because one was born a Jew and even "showed" he/she observed the Law, that still did not entitle him/her to all the favours/ privileges from God, if that person happened to be a hypocrite or if his heart was not "pure".

He certainly was not interested in Gentiles who to him were dogs and Pigs as Jews used to call them those days.

Location hidden

#164087 Feb 17, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus is God and more powerfull then St John.
We are speaking of adapted texts.
Let's not forget:'i will go to my father now.
So jesus definitely made a distinction.

Before meeting with John he was insignificant. So it must allude to inspiration. Meaning that john the baptist had that power.
Modern day followers of john the baptist call jesus a fraud and a sham, attributing the real pure spirit (no worldy aim) to John.
In the eastern tradition /version of the gospel, the entire Jordan went up in flames: the epiphany.
Alex123 aka WM

London, UK

#164088 Feb 17, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
What's the point for a Muslim to highlight the fact YHVH favourited a tribe over the entire world population, when Allah has favourited a man over the entire world population?
This Muslim is not just a cretin and hypocrite but need urgently of pills.
You really are a cretin!!!

That "man" came for all mankind and that "man" did not go around elevating arabs, his mother, his children and wife....but he elevated Mary the Jewish woman above other women.

That man proclaimed Jesus was a virtuous man of God when a whole host of Jews at that time called him a BSTD!!

He did not say, only Arabs were superior or that Allah was just for Arabs.

He said an arab is not superior to non arab and a non arab not superior to arab; a black is not superior to white or a white superior to black...

He was concerned with good deeds and piety that God wanted instead of your race, money, wealth, beauty and power!

God will obviously favour such a man.

You are the chap who needs to take a load of pills.
Alex123 aka WM

London, UK

#164089 Feb 17, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus was fully God and fully human. Jesus had a body and soul like all human beings. However, He has divinity which no other human being had. Jesus' human nature was finite like all human beings but His divine nature was all knowing and all powerful. We don't understand the conscioness of our own nature, so it is no suprise we don't understand the conscioness Jesus with a human-divine nature.
Krishna was much better at that. He took on human form while still being God....

But your mangod MUST be clearly a man if he were to die as a man for men!!!

How can a creature with "body" and "soul" of human be God?

Either he is 100 God or 100% man!

Nothing else will work and all your sacrifice claim will end up in bin even quicker!!
Buford

Scott Depot, WV

#164090 Feb 17, 2013
Alex123 aka WM wrote:
<quoted text>
You still havent understood God can do anything!!!lol...
God can effect an IVF without the instruments.
work it out..
I've understood from you that your God can do anything BUT become human. The rest of it is your concocted IVF theory that bears scant resemblance to anything that is found in the Qur'an, that 7th century "science" textbook.
wannabe scientist

United States

#164091 Feb 17, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
What's the point for a Muslim to highlight the fact YHVH favourited a tribe over the entire world population, when Allah has favourited a man over the entire world population?
This Muslim is not just a cretin and hypocrite but need urgently of pills.
"Let there be no
compulsion in religion:
Truth stands out clear
from error: whoever
rejects evil and believes in
Allah hath grasped the
most trustworthy
handhold, that never
breaks. And Allah heareth
and knoweth all things.
(The Noble Quran, 2:256)"
Alex123 aka WM

London, UK

#164092 Feb 17, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
You got the wrong end of the stick.
YHWH is per difinition a tribal god.
There was never the intent to rule the world.
I would say that from the moment their god got usurped they did start to proselyse also.
it must have been weird.
As in what is all the agitation about when you both claim your gods are the very Elohim-YHWH!
So therefore i conclude that both christianity and islam had wordly aims.
Which can also be seen in how concepts like saviour changed.
I agree with most of it.

However, I don't think that Christians (except for a few nutty sects) or Muslims (except for a few fruity fringes) have wordly aims in the sense of conquering to benefit here on earth.

I think rightly or wrongly most of them wish to give the message of God's kingdom which is more relevant after they die - ie..concerned with hereafter!

How they try to give the message can be a subject of a lot of criticism....becasue they are not doing a good job!!
Alex123 aka WM

London, UK

#164093 Feb 17, 2013
Buford wrote:
<quoted text>I've understood from you that your God can do anything BUT become human. The rest of it is your concocted IVF theory that bears scant resemblance to anything that is found in the Qur'an, that 7th century "science" textbook.
Oh lordy!!
If God "becomes" (instead of PRETENDING TO BE...watch my words...) his creation then he is no longer God.

You think Quran is going to say "IVF"? oh well..lol.

Allah has clearly told his prophet...I will tell you what you need to know. Allah does not have to tell his creation everything about His business! There are many things that are not the business of the Prophet who is dealing with affairs of planet earth!

Thank you...
Alex123 aka WM

London, UK

#164095 Feb 17, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
We are speaking of adapted texts.
Let's not forget:'i will go to my father now.
So jesus definitely made a distinction.
Before meeting with John he was insignificant. So it must allude to inspiration. Meaning that john the baptist had that power.
Modern day followers of john the baptist call jesus a fraud and a sham, attributing the real pure spirit (no worldy aim) to John.
In the eastern tradition /version of the gospel, the entire Jordan went up in flames: the epiphany.
Very interesting.
Also in Gospel of Luke 1:15 it gives a lot more respect to JTB, compared with wine making drunken BJ!!
Also his head was chopped off like that of a lamb!!
Have you ever come across a sacrificial lamb that was nailed to a roman pagan cross?
or that got up and ran off?
LOL////

Location hidden

#164096 Feb 17, 2013
Alex123 aka WM wrote:
<quoted text>
John is honestly a load of nonsense made up long after Jesus to literally blame the Jews for most of the problems! It certainly seems very vindictive.
There is also another important point.
Jesus seems a true revolutonary...who challenged the establishment that was more concerned with "form" over "substance".
Just because a person called himself a Jew did not entitle him/her to favours from God and Jesus certainly reminded the people that there were many arrogant snobs who would not enter God's kingdom.
According to Jesus just because one was born a Jew and even "showed" he/she observed the Law, that still did not entitle him/her to all the favours/ privileges from God, if that person happened to be a hypocrite or if his heart was not "pure".
He certainly was not interested in Gentiles who to him were dogs and Pigs as Jews used to call them those days.
The entire retelling till we get to the form it is in today, allows for all sorts of interpretations.
I would for instance point out that the sanhendrim were disrobed and had no more power.
They were replaced with roman-greek pansies.
If so he would have been a rebel against these new instated rulers.
But reading the entire story we defnitely are not given that impression.
What sticks with people is the the jewish judges and people didnot accept him and thought him a criminal.
Add to that that all jewish writing and thought and culture and religion were banned and you end up with a very twisted account that is a polemic against anything jewish, who were with the Celts and Germanic tribes considered most opposed to Roman/greek rule.
And all three suffered.
Everybody forgets the greeks but they had been lording it since Alexanders day. The romans were just another extention.
So i see it al as
Buford

Scott Depot, WV

#164098 Feb 17, 2013
Alex123 aka WM wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh lordy!!
If God "becomes" (instead of PRETENDING TO BE...watch my words...) his creation then he is no longer God..
This is exactly what I mean by your presumptuous arrogance. It is NOT your place to say what God can and can't do. Nor was it ever Mohammad's, not that you've ever allowed yourself to consider the possibility that this wannabe Jewish prophet was just plain wrong.

Location hidden

#164099 Feb 17, 2013
Alex123 aka WM wrote:
<quoted text>
Very interesting.
Also in Gospel of Luke 1:15 it gives a lot more respect to JTB, compared with wine making drunken BJ!!
Also his head was chopped off like that of a lamb!!
Have you ever come across a sacrificial lamb that was nailed to a roman pagan cross?
or that got up and ran off?
LOL////
I would see a firm Mithraic content in that part of the story, also the imagery of the lamb. Depictions are usually of Mithra but retold as being of jesus.
And at least 17 gods (much more since it's a fertility theme underlying the godking idea)starting with BAAL and his son Jebus(the original name of jerusalem at a certain pont in 7th century or maybe older history. The countryside described 7th c. BC themes, but most was jotted down later. It however includes older substrata from the region and of those they came into contact with)
but BAAL dying and being brought o life again.

Location hidden

#164100 Feb 17, 2013
Buford wrote:
<quoted text>This is exactly what I mean by your presumptuous arrogance. It is NOT your place to say what God can and can't do. Nor was it ever Mohammad's, not that you've ever allowed yourself to consider the possibility that this wannabe Jewish prophet was just plain wrong.
The ribald expressions aside.
We do not see LORD (the new fad) replaced with Jesus in bibles.

I take it that this new church simply argued themselves in a dead ally and later had to borrow from the jewish Tanakh just to establish provenance and to make the story work.
The first three gospels (the very first new testaments did not contain more) are just stories relating heresay and ideas of that king saviour idea, especially the very first version, that read like reports to a ruler about what's going on in that province. Jesus as a person is not mentioned.

Most christians reject those old versions with the claim that then they had an underdeveloped understanding.
Funny given that we usually are happy to find some archeological proof or an old text.

Location hidden

#164101 Feb 17, 2013
Alex123 aka WM wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with most of it.
However, I don't think that Christians (except for a few nutty sects) or Muslims (except for a few fruity fringes) have wordly aims in the sense of conquering to benefit here on earth.
I think rightly or wrongly most of them wish to give the message of God's kingdom which is more relevant after they die - ie..concerned with hereafter!
How they try to give the message can be a subject of a lot of criticism....becasue they are not doing a good job!!
Well PaulVW does not rise above the level of quoting church tenets.

Let's find my notes.( as not ordered yet, so i end up giving something also usually that is also relevant. There is however a distictly different idea about what saving means and about what afterlife means. Also the concept of trial and fair hearing was developed in torah. What you read in the gospel is a farcical presentation.)
However:
Eccle. 12:3
The end of the matter having been heard, fear YHWH (ultimate dispenser of justice, since humans can't oversee all, are limited. Someone will always complain.)and keep his commandments, for this is the entire man. See Iraneus, we find jesus only later becoming an elder. Frankly of age. But now people read it as if he was a learned scholar.

The person alludes thus to the law.
Roman law as a personification of dies fillae would thus be hanging from a stake after a shambolic trial and in that way find it's presentation in the gospel. So in that sense jesus coud be a rebel.
Dogs :greek-persians with their mastiffs and romans.
As from the relocating of people that continued for a long time.
The population of the provinve Galilea f.i.
pigs: all those eating pig meat, a big contingent of Germanic Romans was based in the syrian part.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#164102 Feb 17, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus was fully God and fully human. Jesus had a body and soul like all human beings. However, He has divinity which no other human being had. Jesus' human nature was finite like all human beings but His divine nature was all knowing and all powerful. We don't understand the conscioness of our own nature, so it is no suprise we don't understand the conscioness Jesus with a human-divine nature.
I get the message that Christians believe the Nazarene was fully god and fully human.

If I'm not mistaken he was able to make miracles because of his divinity, right? Because only god can resurrect a dead.

You cannot believe he can make miracles and only at times he was omniscient. Is his divinity working intermittently?

You cannot tell me since we don't know the cnsciousness of ourselves then we cannot know that of Jesus.

It's clear there is something wrong with the character of Jesus in the Gospels.

Furthermore if the Nazarene was able to perform miracles like healing sick people and resurrect men, then the news would have reached the Romans that would have taken him to Rome, and then sent him in battle to cure any roman soldier hurt or killed in wars, making therefore the roman soldiers, an army of immortals.

Location hidden

#164103 Feb 17, 2013
wannabe scientist wrote:
<quoted text>
"Let there be no
compulsion in religion:
Truth stands out clear
from error: whoever
rejects evil and believes in
Allah hath grasped the
most trustworthy
handhold, that never
breaks. And Allah heareth
and knoweth all things.
(The Noble Quran, 2:256)"
Let there be no compulsion in religion? In Islam a muslim is not free to leave it.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#164104 Feb 17, 2013
Raising the dead is done by connecting one's vital force with the disembodied vital force of the corpse and then drawing it back into the cataleptic body provided this can be done within 72 hours. Only the yogis can engineer such a feat. It's not a very advanced yogic feat, however.

Location hidden

#164105 Feb 17, 2013
Who said Muhammad elevated the arabs, his mother, wife, children? Father Fraud understands whatever his unbalanced mind suggest to.

Allah preferred Muhammad only over the rest of the world population. This is clear to anyone who has not mental problems, or doesn't suffer of complex of inferiority...

Location hidden

#164106 Feb 17, 2013
Alex123 aka WM wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh lordy!!
If God "becomes" (instead of PRETENDING TO BE...watch my words...) his creation then he is no longer God..

Buford: This is exactly what I mean by your presumptuous arrogance. It is NOT your place to say what God can and can't do. Nor was it ever Mohammad's, not that you've ever allowed yourself to consider the possibility that this wannabe Jewish prophet was just plain wrong.

Judaisn as panENtheism and a henotheistic approach.
In the era (centuries) of Saadia Gaon, p.221.:
'In general I say: "Ant description of G-d or of his actions occurring in the scriptures or in the words of others among us, the monotheists; which is found to contradict what is demanded by sound reasoning is undoubtedly a figure of speech."'

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 19 min The Northener 209,693
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr Sharrp Shooter 395,601
News China begins operating world's largest radio te... Sun Stephany McDowell 1
News Southwest Oregon pot growers eye potential for ... Sun Stephany McDowell 1
News Bloomsburg Fair returns with lineup of music, f... Sun e-stoner 1
News The Circadian Rhythm Gene Arntl2 Is a Metastasi... Sun Stephany McDowell 2
News Obama's Clean Power Plan Heads to Court: What t... Sun Kisser6439 2
More from around the web