Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 256388 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#137528 Jun 18, 2012
As a hypothetical situation, if someone attempts to mix the Quran, sayings of the Prophet, the different interpretations, and Islamic history, in one composite text, then anyone who reads that confusing text will surely find contradictions. And if the composite text is thought to be totally inspired from God, then surely researchers will eventually find the contradictions, and question the authenticity of the whole text.

This situation is what I will attempt to prove happening in the case of the Old and New Testament. This is not a personal point of view from a Muslim. It is the Biblical scholars’ works that the average Christian does not know, and the information that the Sunday classes’ preachers are not volunteering. Thank God, Muslims kept the above five kinds of books separate, hence there was no way to add any word, or even a comma for that matter, to the Quran, the authentic Word of God.

This was a promise from God Surah 15, Ayah 9 "We have without doubt, sent down the message. And We will assuredly guard it (from corruption)" Himself that He will protect the Quran. And that is what happened:

The purity of the text of the Quran through fourteen centuries is an indication of eternal care with Allah’s Truth protected through all ages. As promised by God, this Holy Truth will never suffer corruption, or any human adulteration.

The Quran as a text is undoubtedly preserved by the promise of Allah Himself. Furthermore, the recitation of the Quran, anywhere on Earth, is the same recitation as that of the Prophet. In the written Quran there are some symbols that indicate that the Prophet joined verses or break long verses in his recitation. These symbols are listed at the end of the Quran. Therefore, in reciting the Quran, Muslims use those symbols to stop where the Prophet stop, and continue where he continued. It is quite exceptional to imagine the Power of God’s promise to secure the Quran in writings as well as in readings.

Reciting the Quran is an established science in Islamic schools. The Quran is 604 pages long. During the time of the Prophet thousand of his companions memorized the whole 604 pages. In the present time millions of Muslims everywhere know the Quran by heart.

(Contd.)
JOEL PASTAKIA

Mumbai, India

#137529 Jun 18, 2012
PHYSICAL VERSUS SUPRAPHYSICAL:

1) Peer review in the sciences or humanities, as the name suggests, is a superficial exercise involving a group of like-minded people who function from the same exteriorized and ordinary degree of the sense faculties and the sense-informed mind consciousness. These peers agree to agree or agree to disagree on any chosen topic that lies within the range of their inferential understanding while ignoring or opposing anything that exceeds this narrow range. If a majority of the peers acquiesce to save face or to push through a questionable hypothesis based on specious finds, the model passes through but upon greater scrutiny and emerging new facts it falls into disrepute or is obstinately held up in defiance.

2) i have yet to see solid physical reasoning and the barest of verifiable physical proof supporting big bang, emergence of sentience from insentience and macro-evolution. You know like-minded people think and behave alike. All their puerile theories and mass superstitions are non-starters and are being shattered one after the other.

3) Proof of the physical should be given in physical terms, while proof of the supraphysical should be accessed from the supraphysical level and should not be inquired into using gross physical methods and logic based on the physical laws.

4) One can't mix up the two - physical and the supraphysical so long as the consciousness is divided.

5) The gross physical analyzes cannot demonstrate the existence of the supraphysical except for the fact that it cannot explain consciousness, mind, life, emotions, personality, ego, will and other sentient entities in gross physical terms.

6) The proof of the supraphysical can be provided in the physical sense if it manifests in the physical and that too provided the seer wishes to demonstrate the supraphysical power that he commands.
JOEL PASTAKIA

Mumbai, India

#137530 Jun 18, 2012
SKEPTIC:

1) Why couldn't Jesus save both your sons from being sodomized when they were teenagers?

2) If tomorrow you come down with say an ordinary fever, can Jesus cure you if you simply pray to him?
JOEL PASTAKIA

Mumbai, India

#137532 Jun 19, 2012
ALEX:

Don't talk to me until you learn to clean your bum after defecating with water using a hand-held water spray. Stop using toilet paper you unhygienic and stinky chap.

(smiles)
JOEL PASTAKIA

Mumbai, India

#137533 Jun 19, 2012
Use hand-held bidets to clean up instead of toilet paper.
JOEL PASTAKIA

Mumbai, India

#137535 Jun 19, 2012
MOTTO:

Wash, don't wipe!

(smiles)
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#137536 Jun 19, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
You didn’t read my post (or you didn’t understand it)

I was not juggling anything b/c I wasn’t trying to deemphasize anything. I was just correcting Planet Skeptics translations - He started it by quoting a whole other verse and attributing to it to the ten Commandments....

Mellow out.
Ans.

I did read your post and I stand by my observation that you are engaging in only “wars of words”.

Now you understand the difficulties in translating scriptures from one language to another and how wise were Muslims to demand universal reading of Quran in its original Arabic Script.

No human translation can take the place of Original Words of God.

Now coming to the present discussion “Sayings versus Commandments” what is the big difference between the two?

What God said in those sayings was not just for hearing, it was for men to comply with it and that is what is meant by Commandment (as per my limited knowledge of Practical and common sense English language).

These “sayings” are very fundamental for building a human society in accordance with the God’ Wishes and that is why they are called as Ten Commandments.

But God’s sayings or Commandments are not limited to these ten, there were many Sayings and Commandments from God to Moses and other prophets and they are also recorded in various places in the scripture.

I hope that I have clarified the matter….. I wish you will reply after reading my post, I mean full post!!
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#137537 Jun 19, 2012
Buford wrote:
MUQ tard,

How quickly you've forgotten that you wanted to hear my definition of sin from my own lips. That's why I asked you to post a mailing address where I could send the video recording!

In the recording you'd have heard me reciting the definition of sin that is posted here: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Sin . Yes, that's the same link that I posted earlier as a courtesy and convenience to you, but you decided to make a huge issue out of it instead. Here's your reward for being a complete and total butthole:

Sin (sn)
n. Mythology
The Babylonian god of the moon.
Ans.

The “lips” here mean your output on this thread, not in literal sense.

You are also practicing verbal jugglery like our friend Frijoles here!!

I do not want to go to any web address to know the definition of sin.

It was you who asked me a question about some one being sinless….. and I have every right in the world to ask you what you mean by sin.

So just write down your definition of sin in few chosen words so every one can understand it.

Our Friend Skeptic is going round and round like a dog chasing its tails, to define what is sin.

I hope you will do better than that. Will you?

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#137538 Jun 19, 2012
NotQuiter wrote:
<quoted text>
Btw, I think Frijoles and a few others who lay claim to religiosity of some sort would tend to agree with you. Right, Frijoles? You don't really believe the Genesis account, no matter how you slice how many children Adam may have had ... right??:-)
I would never "slice" any ones children!!! LOL But, any way....Around 12,000 years ago sea levels were much lower, due to a global freeze (ice age)The Mediterranean was virtually a giant salt plane. Satellite imagery clearly shows habitats, even cities under the sea's surface, with the rising sea levels & the resulting earthquakes & volcanic eruptions the Strait of Gibraltar collapses & VIOLA' you have a massive flood story. Now this is the highly abridged version, there are many other corroborating bits of evidence...like the Philistines & such. But I'm sure you get my meaning....the time frame would just about parallel the biblical "creation" & flood events.
Frijoles

South Glastonbury, CT

#137539 Jun 19, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
I did read your post and I stand by my observation that you are engaging in only “wars of words”.
Now you understand the difficulties in translating scriptures from one language to another and how wise were Muslims to demand universal reading of Quran in its original Arabic Script.
No human translation can take the place of Original Words of God.
Now coming to the present discussion “Sayings versus Commandments” what is the big difference between the two?
What God said in those sayings was not just for hearing, it was for men to comply with it and that is what is meant by Commandment (as per my limited knowledge of Practical and common sense English language).
These “sayings” are very fundamental for building a human society in accordance with the God’ Wishes and that is why they are called as Ten Commandments.
But God’s sayings or Commandments are not limited to these ten, there were many Sayings and Commandments from God to Moses and other prophets and they are also recorded in various places in the scripture.
I hope that I have clarified the matter….. I wish you will reply after reading my post, I mean full post!!
For the third time, I already explained the significance of sayings vs commandments in the original post- that they were followed as commandments.

The whole point of the discussion was not verbal juggery (b/c I never evaded the issue of commandments) but to demonstrate to Skeptic how his unconscious acceptance of his church's language has colored his perceptions and organization of the very scripture he hopes to understand.

Plus Planet Septic has the hubris to make claims based on the commandments that are not even part of the commandments (they are part of the other commandments) and on top of that, his church isnt even consistent on the articulation of the commandments are in the first place. So where to start with this mess? Logically in the beginning. Which was what I did.

As far as translation error, we Jews tend to avoid that, as Eric pointed out, by reading the scriptures in the original language. I understand many Muslims do the same for the Koran.
Frijoles

South Glastonbury, CT

#137540 Jun 19, 2012
NotQuiter wrote:
<quoted text>
Btw, I think Frijoles and a few others who lay claim to religiosity of some sort would tend to agree with you. Right, Frijoles? You don't really believe the Genesis account, no matter how you slice how many children Adam may have had ... right??:-)
The Genesis account to me is a myth. Which doesnt mean it isnt true. It means that the account was formulated to provide a structure for us to begin to understand things about our origins, and form a world view based upon this. It doesnt matter to me if the world was formed in 7 days or 7 million days, the real lesson from the account is that God is, therefore we are.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#137541 Jun 19, 2012
skeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
No, God is not pleased with man having more than one wife.
Those were laws that Moses made in dealing the hardness of the Israelite's heart.
Mark 10:2 And some pharisees coming up asked him, testing him, "Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? 3. But he answered and said to them, "What did Moses command you? 4. They said "Moses permitted us to write a notice of dismissal, and to put her away.
5. But Jesus said to them, "By reason of the hardness of your heart he wrote you that commandment.
6. But from the beginning of creation God made them male and female,
7. For this cause a man shall leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife, 8. and the two shall become one flesh. Therefore now they are no longer two, but one flesh.
9. What therefore God has joined together, let no man put asunder."
10. And in the house, the disciples again asked him concerning this.
11. And he said to them, "Whoever puts away his wife and marries another, commits adultery against her; 12 and if the wife puts away her husband, and marries another, she commits adultery."
In the text Jesus explained that Moses gave the Israelite's permission to divorce a wife simple because of the hardness of the Israelite's heart. but in the beginning it was not that way.
9. "What therefore God has joined together, let no man put asunder".
Jesus confirmed marriage is just between a man and a women and not more then one.
Having two or more wives is forbidden, and is considered a sin, since a marriage is join's a man and a women together by God and it is written, let no man put asunder that joining together by God.
Your whole point is that those verses I picked up were not from god but from Moses who given these kinds of permissions because of the hardness of the Israelite's heart, right?

Then let us look how the chapter of the verses I picked up say who they are coming from.

I quoted Exodus 21:10, so let's read what Exodus 21:1 says "Now these are the ordinances which thou shalt set before them."

This is NOT Moses, but your god who is saying to Moses to tell these things, one of which is polygyny, to the folks (hebrews)
Buford

Saint Albans, WV

#137542 Jun 19, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
The “lips” here mean your output on this thread, not in literal sense.
You are also practicing verbal jugglery like our friend Frijoles here!!
I do not want to go to any web address to know the definition of sin.
It was you who asked me a question about some one being sinless….. and I have every right in the world to ask you what you mean by sin.
So just write down your definition of sin in few chosen words so every one can understand it.
Our Friend Skeptic is going round and round like a dog chasing its tails, to define what is sin.
I hope you will do better than that. Will you?
Sin = disobeying God.

What is sin in Islam?
http://www.azhar.jp/info/halal-eng/halal1.htm...

There are four kinds of tharuba (sins).

That which will not be forgiven without tawba. Commission of this sin is like a kafir.

That sin which has a possibility of being forgiven by tawba or by good deeds. These are tharaba sagina.

Those sins for which tawba is necessary, but, if Allah wills, he can forgive without tawba. This is tharaba kabira, but it is tharab that transgress the rights of Allah.

The tharab kabira that are connected to the rights of the society, other people.

Location hidden

#137543 Jun 19, 2012
JOEL PASTAKIA wrote:
<quoted text>
From a strictly spiritual perspective. Take all this information for what it is - spiritual - and don't mix material or intellectual notions with them:
Here goes:
You'll be amazed if you meet my spiritual friend who lives on this great farmhouse on the outskirts of the charming city of Pune. What spiritual vibes suffuse his estate. His plants respond so well to the activated mantras he directs at them...
He is a direct disciple of my Master and has advanced considerably on the spiritual path.
My Master once summoned many of the past Avatars in this friend's physical presence and he was able to talk with them for sometime before they dematerialized.
During his spiritual practices, he enters into such a concentrated state of being and solid aspiration that at times some of the higher beings who inhabit the supraphysical planes materialize before him and besides even when they don't physically manifest he can perceive their presence at all times .
A tremendous yoga of the supramental kind has been going on on Indian soil since the past century or so beginning with Ramakrishna Paramhans, Anukul Chandra Thakur, Aurobindo, Mother, Subhash Chandra Bose, a few very advanced Himalayan yogis and my Master.
The aim is to provide the final solution through the supramental descent on earth to dissolve the difficulties of matter, to dissolve the presence of the hostile vital forces and to efface the problems faced by humankind....
Trance of varying degrees is the normal state of consciousness of this friend.
At times a light is visible radiating from his head.
i spoke to him for about 2 hours yesterday night and was thrilled to hear his divine voice and hear about his spiritual experiences.
His focus is on transformation of his being as an act of self-offering.
i may be flying into Pune to stay with him for at least a week. He has invited me and during the monsoons the farmhouse is even more wonderful.
i would like you to meet such people.
Brotherly Love and Best Regards.
Assuming for the sake of the argument you are saying that truth, have you ever considered to move to live to Pune and if it is possible to take a house close to his farmhouse? He's your friend, and both of you have the same master, he's more advanced than you so you can absorve positive engery or vibes coming from him and his habitation and learning a lot and make big progress in your inner faster than ever and you don't have to be alone anymore as you are now.

Hope you can achieve your goals in life.

Scholar.

Location hidden

#137544 Jun 19, 2012
JOEL PASTAKIA wrote:
MOTTO:
Wash, don't wipe!
(smiles)
In London there is not bidet... at least not in the old houses. However I think there is nothing bad to wipe first and immediatly after wash on bidet.
SeasideSoon

Hoschton, GA

#137545 Jun 19, 2012
Buford wrote:
<quoted text>
Sin = disobeying God.
OK, but skeptic keeps insisting that what was lawful in the OT, somehow became unlawful in the NT, and what was unlawful in the OT, somehow became lawful in the NT.

Kinda takes God out of it, and brings forth the usual suspects with the red robes.
Buford

Saint Albans, WV

#137546 Jun 19, 2012
SeasideSoon wrote:
OK, but skeptic keeps insisting that what was lawful in the OT, somehow became unlawful in the NT, and what was unlawful in the OT, somehow became lawful in the NT.
Kinda takes God out of it, and brings forth the usual suspects with the red robes.
Christianity tweaked Judaism, for sure, especially that Matthew dude. See: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#137547 Jun 19, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
I do agree that there are futile and silly wars of words, because imho, if the qu'ran really WAS the word of God, it would be understandable and a person could attach himself to it in any understandable translation, but then the same would go for the Bible, which is why more translations in remote indigenous populations are being made. Also it is why when I see someone want to argue over their cleverness or accuracy (and then keep arguing over it) re: Ten Words or Ten Commandments, I realize certain things -- such as intelligence or knowledge does not always give a person a pass into God's favor. Just as Jesus said, the harlots and babes would go before some of the more "educated" or "intelligent ones." Some kindly Muslim gave me an English translation of the Koran, and it would take me years, if ever, to learn Arabic to the point of understanding it. Moreover, it has been brought to my attention by ANOTHER Muslim that I would need a "teacher," someone who knows Arabic really well in the classical version to explain things to me. All that would make very difficult odds to get to really know the Koran. Speaking to the well-educated and self-righteous ones, here is what Jesus said:(Matthew 21) "I tell you the truth, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you." No wonder they didn't like him anyway, and no wonder the mixup of ideas continually.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#137548 Jun 19, 2012
Borg3of7 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would never "slice" any ones children!!! LOL
I thought that might cause someone to say something! hehe.
Borg3of7 wrote:
<quoted text>
But, any way....Around 12,000 years ago sea levels were much lower, due to a global freeze (ice age)The Mediterranean was virtually a giant salt plane. Satellite imagery clearly shows habitats, even cities under the sea's surface, with the rising sea levels & the resulting earthquakes & volcanic eruptions the Strait of Gibraltar collapses & VIOLA' you have a massive flood story. Now this is the highly abridged version, there are many other corroborating bits of evidence...like the Philistines & such. But I'm sure you get my meaning....the time frame would just about parallel the biblical "creation" & flood events.
OK, that's your take on it. Thanks for sharing it. At least you're honest enough to say what you believe or think. Many people here argue over bits and pieces and phrases of the scriptures yet are afraid to really say what they believe or don't believe but would rather dodge while picking over little bits. Geology leaves a lot to the imagination, and the layers of rocks certainly do suggest tremendous amount of shifting and silt.
Buford

Capon Bridge, WV

#137549 Jun 19, 2012
http://www.bible.ca/islam/islam-myths-hajj-pa...

Muslims claim Muhammad performed the Hajj, but truth says otherwise.

Muslims today make great boasts of how Islam is the purest monotheistic religion on the planet. Yes, Islam, is a monotheistic religion, but then again, Pharaoh Akhenaten was also the inventor of a monotheistic religion in 1362 BC. But what Muslims don't realize, is that all their rituals of the Hajj (the pilgrimage to Mecca, where they circle the black stone 7 times etc.) are of purely pagan origin. Although Muslims will claim that these rituals were practiced by Adam, Noah and Abraham as Muslims perform them today, this is nothing but pure myth, totally unsupported by history. In fact, the Hajj is documented in history as being solely of Arab pagan origin. Muslim myth says that Abraham performed the Hajj but it was corrupted down through the ages and then Muhammad came along and restored it to its original purity. But this also is myth because the history of the Hajj has ONLY a pagan history before Muhammad. It is clear that Muhammad took these pagan practices and assigned them new meanings, never before imagined. The Arabs, have perpetuated these myths ever since, even though history proves otherwise.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) 5 hr Karson Wence 954
News Cattle farmers worry ICE raid will cripple farm... 10 hr ThomasA 2
News No damage or injuries from earthquake in southw... Fri Taz 1
News Agriculture This Week - Weather looks ready to ... Fri after the thaw seen 1
News Neil Young's new album blasts Walmart, Monsanto (Jun '15) Apr 19 AbandonSTein 39
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) Apr 19 North Mountain 223,366
News Cookeville ranks in top 10 fastest gaining micr... Apr 18 thatcherpenis 9