Who Is Allah?

Aug 24, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Brussels Journal

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Comments
131,401 - 131,420 of 200,977 Comments Last updated 16 min ago
skeptic

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I respectfully disagree. The Jewish portion of the bible clearly shows no favortism towards monogamy nor polygamy, rather it tells it as it was at the time of the narrative.
The only time coupling is explicity adressed as a commandment would be dont covet - and that does not preclude multiple coupling - it does not presuppose that there is onely 1 wife.(Presupposition is an interpretation).
Those preachers who preach "biblical" values as their foundation for "family values" are preaching something other than OT.
And the Jews translations of the Bible also shows why God turned his face away from the Jews.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

Buford wrote:
<quoted text>I suppose that God could have manufactured multiple Eves out of Adam's ribs...funny, it just occurred to me that unless God changed Eve's genetic makeup, she was an identical twin but with a female's anatomy. Weird! Is that why their children were all males, that is, the ones that we know about?
Then there is the question of their wives. Where on earth did they come from, Dr. Sarfati?
I would have to agree with NQ, by definition, that since Adam and Eve were close relations, it was incest.

As far as Sarfati - what peaked my interest to google him was his name. That is/could be a Jewish name. It can also be spelled Sephardi - our term for Spanish or Middle Eastern Jew. What a Christian creationist is doing with a Jewish name is always intriguing of course...
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
DOES THE OT/TANAKH IS PRO POLYGAMY?
Polygamy is a misnomer, since it includes the fact that a man can have many wives or women (polygyny) and that a woman can have many husbands or men (polyandry), but we know that in that male chauvinistic societiy there was only one form of polygamy, polygyny.
Having made that clear, the question remains, does the OT/Tanakh is pro polygyny?
Yes it does, enough look at certain biblical verses such as Exodus 21:10
"If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights."
Or Deut. 17:17
"He must not take many wives, or his heart will be led astray. He must not accumulate large amounts of silver and gold."
Here instead YHVH has not said to man to have only one wife, but just to not have many wives, thus polygyny is still accepted.
To be noted that in both verses quoted above and in others as well, ther is not any discussion against polygyny but rather rules of what a man have to do with it. There is no doubt that polygyny was accepted by YHVH.
Also it never happened in the OT/Tanakh that this god punished or was mad against the various kings, patriarchs and prophets to have had so many wives.
In conclusion what was accepted by society back then was accepted by god, while the same matter that is not accepted by the society of today is not accepted by god either.
A case of man made religion with man made rules?
Context !

Duet 17:14
14 When thou art come unto the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt possess it, and shalt dwell therein; and shalt say:'I will set a king over me, like all the nations that are round about me';

In other words 17:17 is about desirable traits in a kind - basically G-d was telling the people to break from the customs of the rest of the world at the time - which was to have a greedy king...The passage is about kings and greed, not us peasants...

I do agree that we are talking about polygny though.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

skeptic wrote:
<quoted text>And the Jews translations of the Bible also shows why God turned his face away from the Jews.
What translation verse are you contesting? I am all ears here.

Put up or shrivel back to your corner...

You are already one minus with your "10 commandments/sayings".
skeptic

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

NotQuiter wrote:
<quoted text>Surely you can't be asking me...Especially since so many try to fit evolution into the picture, and "family values," for better or for worse, like I said, it's up to each one of us to decide what we believe. The dictionary has two definitions for the word incest. The first and more general is: sexual intercourse between closely related persons.(which surely Adam & Eve were "closely related," as you pointed out, as well as their children were also "closely related"). The second definition is: "the crime of sexual intercourse, cohabitation, or marriage between persons within the degrees of consanguinity or affinity wherein marriage is legally forbidden." Now many countries have laws or taboos against incest, however, it depends on the closeness of the relationship. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_regarding_i... . It's up to each one what they believe or want to believe.
Your answer is based on ignorance.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Buford wrote:
<quoted text>Bright guys who are also young earthers are intriguing. How exactly do they compress billions of years into a few thousand?
If you look at the citations in the back of the wiki bio - as well read the last few paragraphs - it is very interesting. He caught a lot of flack criticizing the credentials of his critics, while he himself has neither a real theological background, nor is he a biologist. I think his brightness is shadowed by his ideological zeal to prove a point, very similar to other posters here such as the gentleman from the island nation....
Eric

Mount Prospect, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

skeptic wrote:
<quoted text>And the Jews translations of the Bible also shows why God turned his face away from the Jews.
Besides what Frijoles said, we don't translate the Tanakh. We read it as written.
JOEL PASTAKIA

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

HABIT & OBSESSION:

Habit means to lean towards a particular thing through repeated practice under a set of given conditions in such a way that this trend tends to invoke a tendency to behave similarly in the same set of conditions though however an obsession with something perverse is much more than a bad habit and indicates a total lack of control over one's mind, vital, physical and motor-sensory actions and responses and this then means that the behavioral pattern is repeated under any set of conditions or circumstances at all times.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

JOEL PASTAKIA wrote:
HABIT & OBSESSION:
Habit means to lean towards a particular thing through repeated practice under a set of given conditions in such a way that this trend tends to invoke a tendency to behave similarly in the same set of conditions though however an obsession with something perverse is much more than a bad habit and indicates a total lack of control over one's mind, vital, physical and motor-sensory actions and responses and this then means that the behavioral pattern is repeated under any set of conditions or circumstances at all times.
So your tendency to save bad things about Jews and their religion, is that a habit, OR an obsession?
JOEL PASTAKIA

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

NATURAL LAWS ARE HABITS:

1) From a deeper perspective, a natural law is also a habit as it reflects a functional mode that is typical of the grade of consciousness and force of which it is an aspect.

2) Habits can be made to retreat into the subconscient through the application of a superior agency and if the applied force is potent enough the rigid vibrations of the habit can be dissolved. Remember, everything whether physical, vital or psychological are in their basal constitutions and mechanisms a set of vibrations of different grades of energy and consciousness .

3) Like habits, a natural law can be overturned or broken with the infusion of a superior grade of consciousness and force into the existing system. This is the secret mechanism underlying the so-called miracles which are better described as paranormal events.
skeptic

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
DOES THE OT/TANAKH IS PRO POLYGAMY?
Polygamy is a misnomer, since it includes the fact that a man can have many wives or women (polygyny) and that a woman can have many husbands or men (polyandry), but we know that in that male chauvinistic societiy there was only one form of polygamy, polygyny.
Having made that clear, the question remains, does the OT/Tanakh is pro polygyny?
Yes it does, enough look at certain biblical verses such as Exodus 21:10
"If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights."
Or Deut. 17:17
"He must not take many wives, or his heart will be led astray. He must not accumulate large amounts of silver and gold."
Here instead YHVH has not said to man to have only one wife, but just to not have many wives, thus polygyny is still accepted.
To be noted that in both verses quoted above and in others as well, ther is not any discussion against polygyny but rather rules of what a man have to do with it. There is no doubt that polygyny was accepted by YHVH.
Also it never happened in the OT/Tanakh that this god punished or was mad against the various kings, patriarchs and prophets to have had so many wives.
In conclusion what was accepted by society back then was accepted by god, while the same matter that is not accepted by the society of today is not accepted by god either.
A case of man made religion with man made rules?
You are assuming God approved of all things man did in the Bible, simply because He did not punish man for mans behavior.
It could be your assuming is based on your lack of understanding the bible, and Gods response to mans Behavior.
God wanted to destroy man all together because of mans sinfulness by the flood, accept, He allowed Noah and his family to survive.
And God gathered a group of Israelite's and allowed them to be in captive for four hundred years, then sent Moses to bring them out of captive in Egypt and gathered them to His self to set them apart from the rest of the other nations as an example of Gods Holiness, and gave Moses His Ten Commandments as laws for man to follow, but the Jews failed to follow Gods laws, and under their own kings made laws to the desires of man.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

JOEL PASTAKIA wrote:
NATURAL LAWS ARE HABITS:
1) From a deeper perspective, a natural law is also a habit as it reflects a functional mode that is typical of the grade of consciousness and force of which it is an aspect.
2) Habits can be made to retreat into the subconscient through the application of a superior agency and if the applied force is potent enough the rigid vibrations of the habit can be dissolved. Remember, everything whether physical, vital or psychological are in their basal constitutions and mechanisms a set of vibrations of different grades of energy and consciousness .
3) Like habits, a natural law can be overturned or broken with the infusion of a superior grade of consciousness and force into the existing system. This is the secret mechanism underlying the so-called miracles which are better described as paranormal events.
Definitely natural...

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/5736/8632...
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

skeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
You are assuming God approved of all things man did in the Bible, simply because He did not punish man for mans behavior.
It could be your assuming is based on your lack of understanding the bible, and Gods response to mans Behavior.
God wanted to destroy man all together because of mans sinfulness by the flood, accept, He allowed Noah and his family to survive.
And God gathered a group of Israelite's and allowed them to be in captive for four hundred years, then sent Moses to bring them out of captive in Egypt and gathered them to His self to set them apart from the rest of the other nations as an example of Gods Holiness, and gave Moses His Ten Commandments as laws for man to follow, but the Jews failed to follow Gods laws, and under their own kings made laws to the desires of man.
Ten Sayings, you dork!
skeptic

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
Besides what Frijoles said, we don't translate the Tanakh. We read it as written.
Yea, but your understanding is based on the wisdom of man, not on the wisdom of God, and that is what allowed the Jews to fail in following Gods precepts.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
What translation verse are you contesting? I am all ears here.
Put up or shrivel back to your corner...
You are already one minus with your "10 commandments/sayings".
It's probably the same translation he made up a while back when I asked him what translation was he using ... and I repeat -- Adam had sons AND daughters. Lots of translations say that. http://bible.cc/genesis/5-4.htm Adam had sons and daughters.
Qadir mengal

Islamabad, Pakistan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

GUIDANCE AND ROAD TO LIGHT AND SALVATION

Dear fellow brothers, as you all know and perceive that life of this world is transitory and one day each of us has to left this world, and than face to a situation for which almost we all having different views, ideas or concepts. It is also a fact that out of us every one has clung to his own ideology, concept or religion. Every one of us claims to himself on right path. Question is not that who, out of us is on right path, but question is this that some of the religions claim that whoever rejects its teaching he surely misses the goal for ever and his abode to next life would be Hell fire for ever. I have taken in to consideration almost all concepts vis- a- vis Religions and in this regard having a conclusive or definite opinion, however, if, I do suggest or advise you being fellow brother than your decision surely would be re-active or would be negative, so in this way I would be responsible to make you further away from truth, light and salvation. There fore a Eight (8) point clue as a food thought, I do give below being your well-wisher to see your success to find the light, truth and be entitle for salvation.

1-Admittedly truth satisfies the conscience and mind, while false and evil leads to perplexity and uneasiness, As such follow the way which gives you satisfaction and leave the way which throw you in doubt and perplex.
2-Analyse his own belief, dogma and notion in contrast of his fellow creatures, resolve the doubt and do not compromise with suspicions.

3-Do not be an Atheist, If tomorrow you really faced a situation for which a group of people, Messengers pointed out or gave information than you surely would be in utter loss a loss which could not be compensated. Thus try to find protection in a lap of any religion after analyzing its teachings.

4-Do not deceive your self and take the following questions seriously when you make any decision.

a- Is there a Deity or creator to whom human being is accountable?.

b- If, there does exist any such Deity or Power than whether He requires us to follow Him in particular way or otherwise?.

C-From where this intelligence and variety came and to whom pointing out?, Why a new born kid of goat despite of not attaining maturity and understanding took her mouth at the very moment after her born above to the nipples of her mother, and so as why a mouse on his first look at cat does not miss to treat her his enemy and without any loss of chance jumps away while does not fear to a goat or donkey on his first meeting?.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

skeptic wrote:
<quoted text>Your answer is based on ignorance.
So let him ask you and the Catholic Church whether Genesis says Adam had sons AND daughters, and if Eve was taken from Adam's rib, just how close WERE they when they had "sex"? Adam had sons AND daughters. Any translation you use (except yours, of course) will say that. http://bible.cc/genesis/5-4.htm check it out for those that are interested in what the Bible says.
Qadir mengal

Islamabad, Pakistan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

fear to a goat or donkey on his first meeting?.

5-Give a critical attention to his own belief, whether there does appear any bulk reversion or conversion in it, If so than meet to these fellow religions’ question them about their conversion or reversion just to find the real cause or truth ..

6-Do not forget his own mortality, examine honestly and impartially the teachings of Major religions, such as Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and Judaism than do not miss to make a right decision in his own benefit..

7-Try to think properly and with correct notion, as there is thin line between right and wrong thinking, for example take a class of students and ask each of them what co lour he likes for his class room, The answer of each student definitely would be different. One would say green, one would say red answer of one would be blue and so on and every student in his choice would not compromise and think him not in correct, however an expert surely would suggest a co lour like white or similar to it on the ground that students requires proper light and dark color would not suited for a class room but to an x-ray room..
8- Do not think as asset your present success, where no any your fellow human lived for ever, try to know the real truth and object and get it, from where it comes, in your hand, as it is not sure that same lies in your own religion or concept.
Eric

Mount Prospect, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

skeptic wrote:
<quoted text>Yea, but your understanding is based on the wisdom of man, not on the wisdom of God, and that is what allowed the Jews to fail in following Gods precepts.
No, my understanding is based upon what I read.

You have to understand something. I rarely look at commentary. I just read what's there. I am perfectly able to make up my own mind.
skeptic

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Ten Sayings, you dork!
The Ten sayings is Gods precepts for man to follow.
You idiot.
They are called Decalogue and contains a privileged expression of the natural law.
It was made known to us by divine revelation and by human reason.
The Ten Commandments, in their fundamental content, state grave obligations.
However, obedience to these precepts also implies mans obligation to follow and obey them, and imply none obedience of them has consequences on mans status with God.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••