The President has failed us

The President has failed us

There are 336176 comments on the Times News story from Jun 9, 2012, titled The President has failed us. In it, Times News reports that:

This week, I decided to list the reasons I would not vote for Barack Obama in the next election.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times News.

“Natural selection created apes”

Since: Jun 10

Religion made them human

#62129 Nov 18, 2012
Vorenus wrote:
<quoted text>
"The rest have no shame!"
Nor common sense....
I'm calling it a night Primo, darsan namaste.
Darsan Namaste mero sathi.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#62130 Nov 18, 2012
USMail XXXII wrote:
<quoted text>
Town Hall?
Pfftt!!
Hey!!!! You are not following Rose's instructions!

---Wild Irish Rose--- wrote:
<quoted text>
So what? Just because YOU don't like the information, articles or opinions on a certain site does not make them any less valid.
YOU are not the barometer of everything that is truthful and intelligent no matter how arrogant and condescending you are.
Anyone of us could just as easily dispute the ultra-conservative news sites that YOU favor, so just what is your point?

Religion made them human

#62131 Nov 18, 2012
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>
But I was sent to your window!!!!!!!! You people need to get your stories straight!!!!!
Yada! Yada! Yada!
Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!
Pfftt!!

How many boring people does it take to change a light bulb?
Prophet Tearing

Fullerton, CA

#62132 Nov 18, 2012
Why Walmart and Big Retailers Should Pay Their Workers More

Henry Ford famously decided in 1914 to pay many of his workers the then incredible sum of five dollars a day, which was substantially higher than the prevailing wage at the time.

While that wasn't done specifically to enable Ford's workers to buy his cars (his primary objective was to reduce employee turnover), it did at times have that effect. More important, Ford's innovation, which shocked the industrialists of that era, helped kickstart America's high-wage, high-consumption economy and the creation of its vast middle class.

Nearly a century later, in the midst of a weak economy and rising poverty, my colleagues at Demos, a New York-based think tank, have made a compelling case that Ford's revolutionary approach to industrial wages should now be applied to America's retail sector.

Retail is an enormously powerful force in the U.S. economy. It hauls in more than $4 trillion in annual revenue and employs more than 15 million people. The problem, and it's a huge one, is that many of the sector's dedicated and hard-working employees are badly underpaid. The typical retail sales person earns just $21,000 a year, with cashiers earning even less -- just $18,500, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. That's not much of a gateway to the middle class.

In a rigorous new study, Retail's Hidden Potential: How Raising Wages Would Benefit Workers, the Industry and the Overall Economy, Demos describes the broad benefits that would be gained if the nation's largest retailers established a voluntary wage floor of $25,000 for full-time, year-round employees.

Such a move would lift millions of people out of poverty, bolster the American economy and strengthen the retailers' own bottom line.

This would not be a heavy lift for the industry. Retail is booming and profitability reached a ten-year high in the first half of 2012. The largest retail firm, Walmart, earned nearly $16 billion in the last year alone. While the U.S. economy and millions of American families have been struggling, Walmart has seen its net sales grow by more than $70 billion since the start of the Great Recession in December 2007.

Retail employees, on the other hand, have been sinking in the quicksand of increased workloads and declining compensation. Productivity among retail workers rose by an average of 0.8 percent per year since 2008 while wages, on average, went down. America's largest retailers, those employing 1,000 employees or more, can well afford to pay their employees a minimum of $12.25 an hour, which is the base that the proposed $25,000 floor would establish.

According to the Demos study, the cost of the wage increases to major retailers would be $20.8 billion, which amounts to about one percent of the sector's $2.17 trillion in total annual sales. But the study also estimates that the increased purchasing power accruing to low-wage workers as a result of the pay raises would generate $4 billion to $5 billion in additional annual retail sales.

If the entire cost of the pay raises were passed on to consumers, shoppers would see an increase in retail prices of approximately one percent. What is more likely, however, is that just a portion of the increased cost would be passed on.

"If retailers pass half the costs of a wage raise onto their customers, the average household would pay just 15 cents more per shopping trip -- or $17.73 per year," the study found. "If firms pass 25 percent of the wage costs onto their customers, shoppers would spend just seven cents more per shopping trip, or $8.87 per year."

That's a tiny price to pay for an initiative that would have a potentially revolutionary impact on the standards of living of millions of Americans and the economic prospects of the nation at large. The $25,000-a-year wage floor would lift more than 700,000 people out of the ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-herbert/wal...

Religion made them human

#62133 Nov 18, 2012
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
So what? Just because YOU don't like the information, articles or opinions on a certain site does not make them any less valid.
YOU are not the barometer of everything that is truthful and intelligent no matter how arrogant and condescending you are.
Anyone of us could just as easily dispute the ultra-conservative news sites that YOU favor, so just what is your point?
If your dog is barking at the back door and your husband is yelling at the front door, who do you let in first?

Location hidden

#62135 Nov 18, 2012
USMail XXXII wrote:
<quoted text>
Yada! Yada! Yada!
Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!
Pfftt!!
How many boring people does it take to change a light bulb?
One!

Location hidden

#62136 Nov 18, 2012
USMail XXXII wrote:
<quoted text>
Get a life!
Have one, but thank you!

Location hidden

#62137 Nov 18, 2012
( CNSNews.com )– A survey of 1,300 employers finds that 30 percent will “definitely or probably” stop offering health insurance to their employees due to new requirements imposed by the Obamacare health reform law.

The survey, conducted by business journal McKinsey Quarterly, found that contrary to government estimates a large percentage of employers will drop their employee health plans, forcing employees to buy coverage on the government-mandated insurance exchanges.

“Overall, 30 percent of employers will definitely or probably stop offering ESI [Employer Sponsored Insurance] in the years after 2014,” the study found.

In fact, among companies who are most familiar with the laws mandates and regulations, 60 percent would drop employee health plans because of the law.

The McKinsey study finds that the reason companies will drop their ESI coverage is because the Obamacare law makes it too expensive for them to offer the plans, meaning that dropping the coverage and compensating employees in other ways will soon become better for business.

“Other requirements are game changing and could prompt employers to completely reconsider what benefits they offer to employees. Reform requires all employers with more than 50 employees to offer health benefits to every full-timer or to pay a penalty of $2,000 per worker (less the first 30),” the study says.

“These requirements will increase medical costs for many companies. It’s important to note that the penalty for not offering coverage is set significantly below these costs.”

In other words, the 50-employee standard and its accompanying penalty seem designed to have precisely the effect the McKinsey study found – to force employers to drop their private health coverage and drive employees into the government-run exchanges.

“If many companies drop health insurance coverage, the government could increase the employer penalty or raise taxes. Employers will need to be aware of actions by participants at any point along the health care value chain and prepare to adapt quickly,” the study said.

“Whether your company is poised to shift from employer-sponsored insurance or will continue to offer the same benefit package it does now, health care reform will change the economics of your workforce and benefits, as well as how your employees value coverage.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/30-percent-em...

Religion made them human

#62138 Nov 18, 2012
Republican Honey wrote:
( CNSNews.com )– A survey of 1,300 employers finds that 30 percent will “definitely or probably” stop offering health insurance to their employees due to new requirements imposed by the Obamacare health reform law.
The survey, conducted by business journal McKinsey Quarterly, found that contrary to government estimates a large percentage of employers will drop their employee health plans, forcing employees to buy coverage on the government-mandated insurance exchanges.
“Overall, 30 percent of employers will definitely or probably stop offering ESI [Employer Sponsored Insurance] in the years after 2014,” the study found.
In fact, among companies who are most familiar with the laws mandates and regulations, 60 percent would drop employee health plans because of the law.
The McKinsey study finds that the reason companies will drop their ESI coverage is because the Obamacare law makes it too expensive for them to offer the plans, meaning that dropping the coverage and compensating employees in other ways will soon become better for business.
“Other requirements are game changing and could prompt employers to completely reconsider what benefits they offer to employees. Reform requires all employers with more than 50 employees to offer health benefits to every full-timer or to pay a penalty of $2,000 per worker (less the first 30),” the study says.
“These requirements will increase medical costs for many companies. It’s important to note that the penalty for not offering coverage is set significantly below these costs.”
In other words, the 50-employee standard and its accompanying penalty seem designed to have precisely the effect the McKinsey study found – to force employers to drop their private health coverage and drive employees into the government-run exchanges.
“If many companies drop health insurance coverage, the government could increase the employer penalty or raise taxes. Employers will need to be aware of actions by participants at any point along the health care value chain and prepare to adapt quickly,” the study said.
“Whether your company is poised to shift from employer-sponsored insurance or will continue to offer the same benefit package it does now, health care reform will change the economics of your workforce and benefits, as well as how your employees value coverage.
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/30-percent-em...
CNS News?

Get real! Pfftt!!

Location hidden

#62139 Nov 19, 2012
USMail XXXII wrote:
<quoted text>
If your dog is barking at the back door and your husband is yelling at the front door, who do you let in first?
You have serious issues!

Location hidden

#62140 Nov 19, 2012
USMail XXXII wrote:
<quoted text>
CNS News?
Get real! Pfftt!!
<quoted text>

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#62141 Nov 19, 2012
Black Rhino wrote:
<quoted text>

What tha fk are you bytching about now?
Amendment I

[Freedom of religion, speech, of the press, and right of petition.]

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Read more: Amendments to the Constitution of the United States — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0749825.html#i...

Anymore questions??

#62144 Nov 19, 2012
Britain to invest in proton therapy after boy's Jacksonville treatment

Alex Barnes, now 5, is cancer-free after his treatment last fall at the UF Proton Therapy Institute, his mom says

Convinced that it was his best shot at survival, Alex Barnes' parents rushed the 4-year-old last fall from their home in England to Jacksonville for six weeks of proton therapy.

The results were two-fold: Alex's aggressive brain cancer all but vanished, and impressed British health officials have begun taking steps to establish the country's first proton therapy center.

Read rest of story below:

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-0...

#62145 Nov 19, 2012
Health Care Bill, Passes Bill With Illegal Alien Coverage Loophole

House Leadership Sides with Congressional Hispanic Caucus on Health Care Bill, Passes Bill With Illegal Alien Coverage Loophole Last week, the latest House health care bill (H.R. 3962) raised a number of concerns over the direction the bill was taking with respect to immigration policy. Earlier this summer, FAIR had raised concerns over the language of the bill with respect to Section 342(d), which would waive the current
5-year waiting period before legal aliens can access the affordability credits under the bill.(See FAIR's Cost Analysis).

Note:( Keep in mind that the United States allows in over 900,000 legal immigrants a year.)

FAIR also led the national debate over the loopholes that existed in the earlier House bill,
H.R. 3200,

******that would allow illegal aliens to access the benefits under the bill.******

(See FAIR's Legislative Analysis of H.R. 3200 and FAIR's Legislative Update, August 17, 2009).

Read rest of story below:

http://www.fairus.org/site/News2...

#62146 Nov 19, 2012
Black Rhino wrote:
<quoted text>

Can you stop cutting and pasting and make an argument in your own words?

Think for yourself.

Were you this critical of the Bush crime family when he began shipping and giving huge tax breaks to companies that move overseas?

Prolly not.
Amendments to the Constitution of the United States

Amendment I

[Freedom of religion, speech, of the press, and right of petition.]

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Read more: Amendments to the Constitution of the United States — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0749825.html#i...

#62147 Nov 19, 2012
UidiotRAcesMAkeWorldPEace wrote:
As the U.S. and Israel move closer to a larger pre-emptive war with Iran, our only hope is that enough of the American public can resist those with paranoid delusions.

Short URL: http://www.veteranstoday.com/...
http://www.veteranstoday.com/2012/09/09/conta...
So what happens if they do nothing and Iran gets Nuclear capability?

#62151 Nov 19, 2012
USMail XXXII wrote:
<quoted text>

Your boyfriend?

“ Soon: too late to protest”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#62152 Nov 19, 2012
American Lady wrote:
Armour of God Prayer
Heavenly father I am ready to take my stand against the powers of darkness. Please help me to stand against the spiritual forces of Evil that want to destroy my Country, my family, and me...
The Belt of Truth
The Breastplate of Righteousness
The Gospel of Peace
The Shield of Faith
The Helmet of Salvation
Sword of the Spirit
I will pray persistently for my "fellow believers" in the authority of Jesus' name, deeded to me according to my Faith...
In Jesus' name I pray...
Amen <3
Very inspirational - thanks.
We all need to strengthen ourselves through knowledge.
(next post)

Location hidden

#62153 Nov 19, 2012
Godless ministers in the end times
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/christian...
Christian

Location hidden

#62154 Nov 19, 2012
REWBA wrote:
<quoted text>
You are one ignorant judgmental fool. Have you ever stopped to ponder the possibility that those "'welfare commandos' driving around in nice cars, faces riveted on their smart phones with unlimited data plans, paying for premium cuts of meat at the store with food stamps, etc." might just be shopping for a person so disabled that they cannot shop for themselves?
I have a full time job. Always have. I've also provided financial management and personal care for adults with severe disabilities. And YES! There have been many times that I stood at a cash register, all dressed up in my business suit, wearing my gold and diamond jewelry talking on my smart phone as the cashier rang up the meat and potatoes I was buying for my client as the poorly dressed stinking tea turd behind me complained under his breath to his grossly obese better half about my use of food stamps. And YES! I always walked slowly to my nice car so that them uneducated pigs can have something else to bitch about.
Good post.
No, they never stop to think about anything.
I think we're all sick to death of their bytching about the national debt when the reality is that THEY are the ones most responsible.
To those of you who DO want to learn, there is hope for you, so ignore the morons to spread nothing but conservative manure.
When SMART college kids protested 'End the Fed', they were trying to make it so simple that even conservatives would get it, but that was still too complicated for them.
It was also a problem because FOX doesn't explain THAT because it would expose the treason of the Right = George Bush's New World Order that would make us subservient to the world bankers. So we would have NO constitutional rights anymore, etc. We would be their slaves, but THAT is what Republicans and Tea Party lunatics keep voting for.
They focus on the little stuff because that's the stupidity they're fed, so it's what they repeat, over and over again.
If you want to learn the truth, RESEARCH. The Federal Reserve is a private corporation, and always has been. Their one goal is to destroy democracy and us, because they've decided there are too many people for them to control.
It should be a requirement to know this stuff before voting = that would keep all Right-wingers out of the voting booths.
(next post)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 58 min Thinking 228,141
News James Hansen Spells Out Climate Danger Of The '... 2 hr don t drink the k... 7
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 hr MikeF 171,544
News State lawmakers expecting contentious 2016 session 11 hr humanspirit 1
News If feds don't, states may stop ethanol subsidy (Oct '13) 18 hr litesong 16
News Blood Moon: Bella Thorne, Katy Perry & More Mar... (Apr '14) 22 hr Ariana Grande 4
News Weiner announces plans to detach from Harrisbur... 22 hr hhs 8
More from around the web