Sea level rise: It's worse than we thought

There are 20 comments on the New Scientist story from Jul 2, 2009, titled Sea level rise: It's worse than we thought. In it, New Scientist reports that:

FOR a few minutes David Holland forgets about his work and screams like a kid on a roller coaster.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New Scientist.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#2738 Mar 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Please describe any earthquake mitigation scheme.
http://www.conservationtech.com/FEMA-WEB/FEMA...

"the green troll"

#2739 Mar 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
BTW: I recommend not opening his link because it shows that Jamaica is taking global warming mitigation very seriously..
http://www.google.co.uk/url...

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#2740 Mar 19, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
[URL deleted]
This FEMA document doesn't mitigate earthquakes, it mitigates damage to buildings. Architecture is a technology thousands of years old, we've learned to mitigate against earthquake damage, to adapt to earthquakes. We've still not learned to mitigate earthquakes themselves; there's nothing humans can do to reduce their strength or frequency.

So, we've adapted to earthquakes, just as we'll find more ways to adapt to climate change. Climate change mitigation is a hoax.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#2741 Mar 19, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
[URL deleted]
^^^Fair Game has changed this quote, truth isn't as important as achieving his political goals.

I'll warn posters of the danger in downloading documents from untrustworthy sources:

Macro virus

In computing terminology, a macro virus is a virus that is written in a macro language: that is to say, a language built into a software application such as a word processor. Since some applications (notably, but not exclusively, the parts of Microsoft Office) allow macro programs to be embedded in documents, so that the programs may be run automatically when the document is opened, this provides a distinct mechanism by which viruses can be spread. This is why it may be dangerous to open unexpected attachments in e-mails. Modern antivirus software detects macro viruses as well as other types.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macro_virus
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#2742 Mar 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>^^^Fair Game has changed this quote, truth isn't as important as achieving his political goals.
I'll warn posters of the danger in downloading documents from untrustworthy sources:
Macro virus
In computing terminology, a macro virus is a virus that is written in a macro language: that is to say, a language built into a software application such as a word processor. Since some applications (notably, but not exclusively, the parts of Microsoft Office) allow macro programs to be embedded in documents, so that the programs may be run automatically when the document is opened, this provides a distinct mechanism by which viruses can be spread. This is why it may be dangerous to open unexpected attachments in e-mails. Modern antivirus software detects macro viruses as well as other types.
You are confused when you don't worry about man-made climate change but you worry needlessly about man-made pc-virus.

I understand your pc is important to you.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#2743 Mar 19, 2013
See how Fair Game changes moves the goal post from: "one of the islands most threatened by global warming and sea level rise!" to "Jamaica is taking global warming mitigation very seriously."

Truth doesn't matter to global warming alarmists because truth isn't on their side. They believe because of emotion, fear; not science.

"the green troll"

#2744 Mar 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>^^^Fair Game has changed this quote, truth isn't as important as achieving his political goals.
Macro virus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macro_virus
Very thoughtful Brian, but the file you don't want people to read is clean.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/3e6bb8a93e...

"the green troll"

#2745 Mar 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>This FEMA document doesn't mitigate earthquakes
Please write to FEMA and tell them they have wrongly titled the document. Tell them you are a cash till repair man and internet troll- eminently qualified to offer advice on the definition of mitigation.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#2746 Mar 19, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
True, Fair Game. It's clean because I've read it a few times.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#2747 Mar 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
See how Fair Game changes moves the goal post from: "one of the islands most threatened by global warming and sea level rise!" to "Jamaica is taking global warming mitigation very seriously."
Actually, in science, complementary facts.

Like this:.. global warming mitigation taken seriously by Jamaica because their island's threatened by global warming and sea-level rise...

This means you are like Jamaica. Did you think of that?
Brian_G wrote:
Truth doesn't matter to global warming alarmists because truth isn't on their side. They believe because of emotion, fear; not science.
Where's your evidence for this nonsense?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#2748 Mar 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>just as we'll find more ways to adapt to climate change.
Status quo is not adaptation.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Climate change mitigation is a hoax.
Where's your science?
PHD

Overton, TX

#2749 Mar 19, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Status quo is not adaptation.
<quoted text>Where's your science?
So submit your scientific science fiction nonsense to Hollywood and make another scientific science fiction movie. You have spammed to world more than 900,000times with your nonsense. Go compete with the proper scientific science fiction movie arena.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#2750 Mar 19, 2013
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>So submit your scientific science fiction nonsense to Hollywood and make another scientific science fiction movie. You have spammed to world more than 900,000times with your nonsense. Go compete with the proper scientific science fiction movie arena.
If you were sane, you would be embarrassed posting your stuff to the world.

You are dismissed again.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#2751 Mar 19, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
I don't care if people read it, I just won't download it based on Fair Game's words. His cite above might be valid, it says the file was tested less than four hours ago.

It might be clean now.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#2752 Mar 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I don't care if people read it, I just won't download it based on Fair Game's words. His cite above might be valid, it says the file was tested less than four hours ago.
It might be clean now.
Deniers are not science-based. You don't read the science because you want to stay a denier.

That means you are not really a skeptic that you call yourself.

Back to your understanding of English. After writing "was tested less than four hours ago," you could have realized you could test it again, thus negating "might be" for sure.

See you do have technology problems, logic problems, education problems, etc. What are you playing judge and jury for the science of scientists in a public forum for years and years?

It appears that you play such towards Internet confusion because you might despise the innocent people of the world.
litesong

Everett, WA

#2753 Mar 19, 2013
brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver wrote:
They believe because of emotion, fear; not science.
'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' doesn't believe, because it elected to have no upper class science or mathematics for its poorly earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa.'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' has no emotion because it is a slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig.'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' has no fear since it has no inkling of the future, except the same-o, same-o.'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' never integrated science & mathematics in its being, having errors of 1 million TIMES, 1000 TIMES, 3000 TIMES, & 73 million TIMES.
litesong

Everett, WA

#2754 Mar 20, 2013
brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver wrote:
..... truth isn't on their side. They believe because of emotion, fear; not science.
"brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver" chose not to have any upper class science or mathematics in its poorly earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa, because it feared, rightly, that it would fail. Its lethargic & sidewise diversions into calculations, ended with errors of 1 million TIMES, 1000 TIMES, 3000 TIMES & 73 million TIMES.

In addition to its errors, "brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver" is a slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AND alleged & proud threatener.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#2755 Mar 20, 2013
Reminders..

1. Precise measurements of the rising concentration of atmospheric CO2 are irrefutable.

2. Precise measurements of rising temperatures are leaving no doubt that global warming is happening.

3. Geological evidence shows that 450 ppm of atmospheric CO2 is the critical level that is needed to sustain polar ice caps.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#2756 Mar 21, 2013
Reminder: Neither climate change mitigation or any anthropogenic global climate change has been experimentally demonstrated.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#2757 Mar 31, 2013
Sea level rise means surf's up.

Higher surf, what's not to like about global warming?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 7 min Master Maha Yogi ... 218,000
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr Quirky 326,056
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr Subduction Zone 161,759
News Is It Time to End Ethanol Vehicle Fuel Mandates? (Apr '13) 5 hr litesong 6
News Every College Student Should take a Computer Sc... 6 hr HumanSpirit 1
News Small earthquake rattles the greater Los Angele... 8 hr are they connected 1
News Weather hailed on social media 10 hr is it HAARP 1
More from around the web