Expert: Ky. earthquake not from mining
A University of Kentucky geologist says the 4.3 magnitude earthquake that shook eastern Kentucky over the weekend was too deep to be induced by the region's underground mining activity.
Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR-TV Knoxville.
#1 Nov 12, 2012
#2 Nov 18, 2012
My colleague Julian Bulman recently posted this article in Science Now, this may help you with this post:
Hydraulic fracturing, to give fracking its correct term, is a technology used to induce or propagate fractures in rocks by injecting pressurised fluids into those fractures and thereby releasing held oil or gas allowing those fossil fuels to migrate either to existing reservoirs or to come directly to the surface. For simplicity, using fracking technologies, we are rapidly increasing and decreasing the pressure on natural faults within the earth’s crust to release hydrocarbons and actually lubricating and extending these natural fracture zones.
If you listened to opinion and editorial nonsense from the media you would assume that fracking is a safe, wholesome technology that is helping America become less dependent on foreign oil so three cheers for the good ol’ US of A. Unfortunately this is not the case and factual studies have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that these fracking technologies can and have produced substantial earthquakes and increase seismicity wherever the technology is used.
That is why it is vitally important that any person understands that opinion is not fact. To cut to the chase any media source that promotes fracking as a safe technology are lying to the general public and are part of the scams and frauds perpetrated by business interests that could and will likely lead to an extreme event in more seismically active areas of the continental US.
Fracking causes seismic activity as the pressures are released, this is a fact backed up by years of research and evidential support. Fracking also causes many other potential environmental impacts including; contamination of ground water, risks to air quality, the migration of gases and hydraulic fracturing chemicals to the surface, surface contamination from spills and flowback and the various health effects of these. For these reasons hydraulic fracturing has come under scrutiny internationally, with some countries suspending or even outright banning its use.
That is not the case in the United States and for exactly the same reasons that there is a non-debate on human induced climate change. Namely this is because corporate America (and all large global producers affecting the environment) have far more money to spend on disinformation campaigns than scientists have on promoting their real and proven, and therefore, factual research.
Thus these corporates spend huge amounts of cash seeding junk science, disinformation campaigns, pressure groups and opinion to the mass media and this directly affects the vast majority of people’s views and opinions who believe that scientists are debating whether Human Induced Climate Change or Human Induced Seismicity is actually a real thing. The reality is far different.
To put it bluntly 97% of scientists agree that the earth has been heating up over the last 300 years due to the proliferation of carbon we humans have been putting in to our atmosphere with a particularly strong spike in the last 50 years or so. The other 3% of scientists, who are either on the fence or against these theories, are likely to be either financially supported by big business or are dependent on them in some way for funding (it pains me to say that most dissenters are geologists who rely on the energy companies for work).
This is the same for Human Induced Seismicity, seismographs are impossible to fake so any earthquakes that are in the vicinity of these various fracking technologies a link can be made using evidence support systems which is why there is no debate in the scientific community about fracking causing earthquakes, the science is proven and the earthquakes caused cannot be faked, especially in areas with little to no known previous seismic activity.
#3 Jan 16, 2014
Do you think you might be stretching things a little bit?
Add your comments below
|Global warming made Paris floods far more likel... (Jun '16)||3 hr||Into The Night||152|
|Earth's underwater dunes help explain Venus's w...||3 hr||a_visitor||1|
|Fireworks pollute the atmosphere and disturb birds||6 hr||CabotRes||2|
|Cracking down on 'illegal immigration,' not a v...||17 hr||spytheweb||1|
|North Adams Housing Authority gets bed bugs und... (Mar '10)||Wed||cil||138|
|Chinese praying mantis made the trip to Le Mars (Oct '08)||Jul 16||Jrauch||2|
|Houston company looks to New Mexico to grow alg...||Jul 16||Jackieofdemimg||2|
Find what you want!
Search Science Forum Now
Copyright © 2017 Topix LLC