Scientists in Mexico herald agriculture revolution in food security push

Feb 15, 2013 Full story: The Guardian 7

An agriculture centre part funded by Carlos Slim and Bill Gates hopes to 'provide food security for generations' but the centre's GM research is not welcomed by everyone Philanthropists Bill Gates and Carlos Slim at the inauguration of a new research facility at CIMMYT.

Full Story
Sirius

Querétaro, Mexico

#1 Feb 15, 2013
Lumpkin said the new laboratories and greenhouses would double research capacity at the centre, known by its Spanish abbreviation CIMMYT. The centre, famous for launching the "Green Revolution" in Mexico and south Asia in the 1960s, is located just outside Mexico City.

Lumpkin and Slim were joined at the ceremony by Bill Gates, No 2 on the global rich list, whose contributions reputedly saved the centre from going under a decade ago.
Could anyone please explain to me what this sheeeet article is doing, right here in Topix? We need more news about beheadings, bearded Mexican women, squalor in whole Mexico, prediction of days before Mexico totaly crumbles... etcetera. Jeezz this people know nothing about market trends, and what sales... XD
juan marquez

United States

#2 Feb 15, 2013
Millionaire Carlos slim should. invest in irrigation project in the county of mocorito sinaloa where poor people of that county in the last past two years have lost thousands of tons because little rain and no irrigation system where is possible to do an irrigation system.
Eduardo

Torreón, Mexico

#3 Feb 15, 2013
There are no counties in Mexico.
Sirius

Querétaro, Mexico

#4 Feb 15, 2013
What would be the difference between a "county" and a "municipality"?

This are things that I always wanted to know... not very important, though.
juan marquez

United States

#5 Feb 15, 2013
Almost anyone, who was born in USA is easy victim of the lies of some Mexican comunicatios, Besides, a young do not know most of investments in Mexico have the purpose to benefit the economic conditions of people who belong to the highest range of the Mexican government and, Millionaire people, believe it or not.
juan marquez

United States

#6 Feb 15, 2013
Couty is synonymous of municipality
Concerned

Chihuahua, Mexico

#7 Feb 16, 2013
When I see an article like this that is to help the common people and the poor I am interested in reading it. I could care less about how much Carlos Slim or Bill Gates make. But it is nice they are putting out money to make things better for people in need. Putting that Money into Mexico so people will want to live here is a great idea. Make Mexico safer and better for all people, so that Mexicans can have a place where the poor people do not try and escape have a chance at a better life in Mexico. I could care less about movie stars, highly paid sports jocks, rich people and big companies that make the news. Articles like this are what is needed. Build the infrastructure for all people in Mexico, and make all areas livable and safe. Do not just give them money or handouts, but rather ways they can use that money to make a better future.

I read where Amhauser bush had made and offer to buy out Modelo for 20 billion dollars. The rich getting richer. I could care less. Good for them, but lets here some news that is good for everyone. That gives be a feel good sensation that will last all day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 8 min Pashupati Paudel 209,305
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 9 min - Lady Liberty - 304,203
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 11 min Subduction Zone 141,714
Letter: Run, the grief counsellors are coming 1 hr HumanSpirit 2
Deadly 130-foot tsunami created by 8.1 quake in... 6 hr real discussions 1
Magnitude 4.8 earthquake strikes near Queen Cha... 6 hr real discussions 1
Canadians crying fowl over lack of chicken 8 hr SpaceBlues 1
More from around the web