Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 222920 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#80647 Mar 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
The New York Times gets a lot of things wrong, a lot of things. You are depending on a periodical, that's almost entirely opinion, for scientific news? You are an idiot.
What are you trying to say, you liar.
Are you calling a registered and seasoned broadcasting firm, liars?
You are a liar ofcourse!

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#80648 Mar 13, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> What are you trying to say, you liar.
You are a liar ofcourse!
Oh boy....Chaz is back...

Location hidden

#80649 Mar 13, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh boy....Chaz is back...
I am always around, but just don't want to post. Thanks Buddy!

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#80650 Mar 13, 2013
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
You say it's a lie. You say it's folklore. You know they taught Pluto to be a planet until 5 or 6 years ago. Science is not without flaw. They discredit theories and things known to be "facts" often. Fact is science does not offer proof without question the "how"
Evolution you say? Why one species to evolve to that with the intelligence of the human level yet no other species? No other species can homogenize milk, build a cell phone, transplant a heart, create devices like pacemakers, bypass machines etc. Apes still throw their own feces yet we are "evolved" they aren't? Ridiculousness
And you claim to be a scientist! For shame.

St. Croix valley

#80651 Mar 13, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> I am always around, but just don't want to post. Thanks Buddy!
it wasn't an exclamation of joy...

i can see why you wouldn't post. "god did it" gets pretty boring to say over and over...

St. Croix valley

#80652 Mar 13, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
And you claim to be a scientist! For shame.
Worse, he claims to be a physician...scary beyond scooby-doo!
it sounds like the same guy who claims to be aphysician but has not one understanding of anything scientific...

probably files health insurance forms all day...

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#80653 Mar 13, 2013
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I'm a physician. I'm sure I remember taking a science class or two. Lol. Just because I believe differently from you doesn't make me a fool. Why such hostility towards those who have faith and choose to believe as they see fit?
You write:
"Really? I'm a physician."

You hold a doctorate in medicine?? Yet you still believe in the 'personal' God of the Hebrews that sees fit to meddle in the personal affairs of a wandering tribe of bronze age goat herders.

A God who determines that women who give birth are 'unclean' for 7 days after the birth of a male child and 14 days for a female child.

As a physician you believe that a God created the universe, earth and all that's in it, 6,000 years ago.

That God created Adam and Eve, a couple from which the whole human race descended.

That some 4,500 years ago God caused a world-wide flood that left only 8 people on earth to rebuild a civilization.

That God came to earth (along with the 'Holy Spirit') in the form of a human child that grew up to be the 'Messiah' or the 'Savior' of mankind from 'Original Sin.'

So, as a physician you believe all these things (and more) from the fundamentalists with whom you align yourself with?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#80654 Mar 13, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> What are you trying to say, you liar.
You are a liar ofcourse!
Leave the irony meters alone Chuck.
Wow

Lake City, AR

#80655 Mar 13, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Worse, he claims to be a physician...scary beyond scooby-doo!
it sounds like the same guy who claims to be aphysician but has not one understanding of anything scientific...
probably files health insurance forms all day...
It's "she" and might I add that being offensive doesn't make you appear intelligent, just arrogant and full of hate for your fellow man based on their beliefs (which they are entitled to):)
Also, I'm an ER physician. If it pleases you we can switch the subject to that of hemodynamics, cardiogenic shock, STEMI's vs nonSTEMI's etc or would you like to copy and paste a Wikipedia link on all that info as well? Seems to me you are quite fond of the copy and paste phenomenon trying to appear more intelligent than you actually are.

Location hidden

#80656 Mar 13, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>it wasn't an exclamation of joy...
i can see why you wouldn't post. "god did it" gets pretty boring to say over and over...
That is not my business. Face the facts.

Location hidden

#80657 Mar 13, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Leave the irony meters alone Chuck.
Irony!
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#80658 Mar 13, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>Irony!
Yes, irony. Meters. You are a danger to them. Leave 'em alone.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#80659 Mar 13, 2013
Wow wrote:
You say it's a lie. You say it's folklore. You know they taught Pluto to be a planet until 5 or 6 years ago. Science is not without flaw.
What flaw? It would still be valid if we still called it a planet. You DO realise that labels are arbitrary, yes? In the case of Pluto scientists decided to redefine the label to be more useful. Pluto has not changed. And the label did not change because of some sudden drastic thing that we didn't know before.

But sure, science can be flawed. And you know what discovers those flaws? Science. Not apologetics from ignorant pseudo-science promoters sitting on their fat collective azzes complaining about reality because it doesn't line up with their baseless religious beliefs.
Wow wrote:
They discredit theories and things known to be "facts" often. Fact is science does not offer proof without question the "how"
Yes, science adjusts to accomodate new evidence as it is discovered. That's what separates science from religious dogma. If it weren't for science you'd still be claiming the Earth is flat just like the Bible says it is.
Wow wrote:
Evolution you say? Why one species to evolve to that with the intelligence of the human level yet no other species?
Well one had to be first. And history shows we've killed anything else that was close.
Wow wrote:
No other species can homogenize milk, build a cell phone, transplant a heart, create devices like pacemakers, bypass machines etc. Apes still throw their own feces yet we are "evolved" they aren't? Ridiculousness
You're right, that is ridiculous. All species currently alive on this planet are just as evolved as each other. It could not possibly be any other way. Anyone who understands even the very basics of evolution would know this. Yet here you are arguing against goal-directed evolution, which is only one of two things - a straw-man caricature invented by fundies who are too intellectually cowardly to address the real thing, or a demonstration of complete ignorance of the subject at hand. Usually it's both. So just in case if you happen to be someone who claims to have had some genuine qualifications in biology I suggest you don't bother trying.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#80660 Mar 13, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Written by a sixth grader?, that explains why it went over your head,ha,ha,ha.
It certainly went over yours. You're an intellectually stunted dwarf so everything goes over your head.(shrug)
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#80661 Mar 13, 2013
Wow wrote:
If I take my watch apart, every piece... Place it into a brown paper sack and stand shaking the bag until it is again, functioning exactly as before, perfectly back together and in motion with the correct time etc.. How long do I have to stand there and shake that bag? This is what "science" would have you to believe everything "came to be" as with the Big Bang THEORY. It takes more faith to believe that than it does for me to believe in an intelligent design. Don't put so much "faith" in science as it has been flawed throughout history. Once upon a time there was an atom, the smallest thing known to man... Then they split it open and more small stuff spewed out, discrediting the atom being the smallest. Point is, we learn more and more daily... There is a place for logic and faith. Passing judgemental comments amongst one another will not mend fences only offer a path of destruction. There will always be believers and nonbelievers everyone of us hold an obligation to be humanitarians and cohabit without such contempt for one another.
I see. So you took a science class or two (you said) then failed? How else does that explain you arguing against it with flawed analogies?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#80662 Mar 13, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
The rhodesian species were incorrectly dated. Big discrepancy, from 1.75 mya to about 300,000 years ago. Not only there are no real evidence, the dating system used was not reliable.
Actually the claim that it was unreliable is unreliable since it was science that found it to be unreliable and you don't accept most modern science as it is unreliable anyway. Ahh, feck it. Let's just say aliens did it.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#80663 Mar 13, 2013
superwilly wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah right, just electrochemical interactions! The answer still does not define sentience, ie your own ability to think and reason.
Actually it does. Without those reactions you would not be thinking or reasoning.

Wait a sec - have we just discovered a scientific hypothesis that explains creationists?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#80664 Mar 13, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
wrong, there is no physical evidence...because the soul in not physical in nature, the same as god.
you ask for physical evidence of the non physical, and claims that the non physical does not exist, because there is physical evidence.
God and spirit and soul do indeed exist.
So you're saying you have no evidence but they definitely exist?
bohart

White Pine, TN

#80665 Mar 13, 2013
Sciencelive.com ,....click on space section

Mars annoucement raises questions

Science has reached a point where they are beginning to admit they don't even know what life is.

Yet many puddle gooists have no doubt how it started and no doubt how it didn't start.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#80666 Mar 13, 2013
bohart wrote:
Sciencelive.com,....click on space section
Mars annoucement raises questions
Science has reached a point where they are beginning to admit they don't even know what life is.
Old news. The definition of life has always been a tricky one to define. Kinda like "planet". But fundies claim to know. But like everything else they claim (which is a lot) they can't actually show any knowledge of the subjects they speak of.
bohart wrote:
Yet many puddle gooists have no doubt how it started and no doubt how it didn't start.
Another straw-man KO! Tell us Bo, is it honest to constantly beat up caricatures of your opponent's position or dishonest?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tony Abbott: On Global Warming, Dare to Doubt 12 hr ChemEngineer 1
News Whatever Harvey Weinstein Is, He Is No Sex Addi... Thu Team Kelly 1
News Experts in flap over bird-like dinosaur Thu Coelophysis 9
News Research suggests T. Rex was covered in scales ... Wed Ateesiks 5
News Why Do People Think Animals Make Good Therapists? Wed humanspirit 1
News Psychology goes online Wed humanspirit 1
News Stunning Photos Show Faces Of Poverty That Are ... Oct 17 Cordwainer Trout 2
More from around the web