Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 195568 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#78034 Mar 1, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Murphy? Talk about the Peter principle.
Now i want an exact layout of woodticks room...whot...frontroom...on the south?
One of our local photographers took pictures of it and sent them into a 'small cabins' site. can't remember which one. single slant roof to let the winter sun in / summer sun out. yes, south front room.

one lemon tree. no bees. no crabs. no intelligent designer.(outside of my brilliant home design...)

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#78035 Mar 1, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Not "Murphy", you misspelled it. I was talking about Muphry's Law:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muphry 's_law
i say, tricky but true.

I'm gone make lemonade out of those cherished lemons if the secret about that frontroom is not coughed up toute suite!

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#78036 Mar 1, 2013
MAAT wrote:
WHAT's the frontroom have to do with anything?
It's where the lemon tree grows

St. Croix valley

#78037 Mar 1, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
many people already have using verifiable, reproduceable methods.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#78038 Mar 1, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Murphy's my dog. He's a year old today.

(It was also my nickname in the Air Force)

Location hidden

#78039 Mar 1, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I've already explained this to you. Wasps/bees developed. Flowering plants developed. They fell into a symbiotic relationship to the point of dependence. What part went over your head?
The frontroom.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Evolution is true.....

#78040 Mar 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Real Science can provide the same amount of logic in its language with real evidence. So thank you, I don't need your delusional Darwinian theory.
Sorry my lady....tis you who are delusional.

Location hidden

#78041 Mar 1, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>It's where the lemon tree grows
Ah and they are so dense that they touch each other at the mere whiff of air, and so that woodtick does not know he's having the frontroomon the south.

Are the buggers self pollinating or do you have to cut a little piece of and replant it...oi presto more forest in the frontroom!

It's like bulbs in pots...equally clueless about lemontrees.

St. Croix valley

#78042 Mar 1, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
My favorite Murphy's law...
Even the smallest hole will quickly drain even the largest container; unless it was put there for drainage, in which case it will clog.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#78043 Mar 1, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Murphy? Talk about the Peter principle.
Now i want an exact layout of woodticks room...whot...frontroom...on the south?
There are two strong reasons for his front room window to be facing south. First he is living in northern Minnesota, he is going to need sunlight for his tree and that almost demands a south facing window. Second he is on the north shore of Lake Superior and for that odds are that he would have a south facing window to see the lake, unless he is on some sort of inlet or bay.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#78044 Mar 1, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>One of our local photographers took pictures of it and sent them into a 'small cabins' site. can't remember which one. single slant roof to let the winter sun in / summer sun out. yes, south front room.
one lemon tree. no bees. no crabs. no intelligent designer.(outside of my brilliant home design...)
And I was late in my reply since I am listening to YouTube (Atheist Experience clip) and I was very slow in my typing.

Location hidden

#78045 Mar 1, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>One of our local photographers took pictures of it and sent them into a 'small cabins' site. can't remember which one. single slant roof to let the winter sun in / summer sun out. yes, south front room.
One gigantic wasp that ones a year pollinates the frontroom!
fu.k:)))

Normally i look things up, but lemons must be simply put male+female on one tree. South bigger flower growth, hence bigger lemons. Easier process.

And what if the frontroom was of the north? Would everybody here then alsohave an AHA erlebnis? Or would there be groaning and moaning?

“what we think we become”

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#78046 Mar 1, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry my lady....tis you who are delusional.
honey bee, you are the one!

St. Croix valley

#78047 Mar 1, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah and they are so dense that they touch each other at the mere whiff of air, and so that woodtick does not know he's having the frontroomon the south.
Are the buggers self pollinating or do you have to cut a little piece of and replant it...oi presto more forest in the frontroom!
It's like bulbs in pots...equally clueless about lemontrees.
yes, when we purchased the tree we were told it is self pollinating so we do not need more than one tree or any artificial pollination techniques.

one does need a vacuum for when all the petals and sepals fall off!

Location hidden

#78048 Mar 1, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
There are two strong reasons for his front room window to be facing south. First he is living in northern Minnesota, he is going to need sunlight for his tree and that almost demands a south facing window. Second he is on the north shore of Lake Superior and for that odds are that he would have a south facing window to see the lake, unless he is on some sort of inlet or bay.
You sure your eyelids are unfrozen yet. lol

So it's the FLUD!

Now i am going to look it up. At least now i know where to find the frontroom. Handy if i need some lemons.

Location hidden

#78049 Mar 1, 2013
First unload an abstract:

Abstract
Identification of lineage-specific innovations in genomic control elements is critical for understanding transcriptional regulatory networks and phenotypic heterogeneity. We analyzed, from an evolutionary perspective, the binding regions of seven mammalian transcription factors (ESR1, TP53, MYC, RELA, POU5F1, SOX2, and CTCF) identified on a genome-wide scale by different chromatin immunoprecipitation approaches and found that only a minority of sites appear to be conserved at the sequence level. Instead, we uncovered a pervasive association with genomic repeats by showing that a large fraction of the bona fide binding sites for five of the seven transcription factors (ESR1, TP53, POU5F1, SOX2, and CTCF) are embedded in distinctive families of transposable elements. Using the age of the repeats, we established that these repeat-associated binding sites (RABS) have been associated with significant regulatory expansions throughout the mammalian phylogeny. We validated the functional significance of these RABS by showing that they are over-represented in proximity of regulated genes and that the binding motifs within these repeats have undergone evolutionary selection. Our results demonstrate that transcriptional regulatory networks are highly dynamic in eukaryotic genomes and that transposable elements play an important role in expanding the repertoire of binding sites.

Although cross-species conservation has been successfully used to identify functional regulatory sequences in genomes (Thomas et al. 2003; Boffelli et al. 2004; Wang et al. 2006), there is growing evidence that changes in cis-regulatory elements are important in determining key phenotypic differences, as shown in yeast (Ihmels et al. 2005), pufferfish (Tumpel et al. 2006), Drosophila (Gompel et al. 2005; Marcellini and Simpson 2006), and human (Rockman et al. 2005). Moreover, a number of studies have shown that evolutionary turnover of regulatory elements is a common feature of eukaryotic genomes with examples in yeast (Tanay et al. 2005; Borneman et al. 2007; Tuch et al. 2008), Drosophila (Moses et al. 2006), zebrafish (McGaughey et al. 2008), and mammals (Dermitzakis and Clark 2002; Birney et al. 2007; Chabot et al. 2007; Odom et al. 2007; Jegga et al. 2008).

---
He's got a network of transposons in the frontroom!

Location hidden

#78050 Mar 1, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yes, when we purchased the tree we were told it is self pollinating so we do not need more than one tree or any artificial pollination techniques.
one does need a vacuum for when all the petals and sepals fall off!
Ow, the suspense was killing me!
I even flamed you...wait...

“what we think we become”

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#78051 Mar 1, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
One gigantic wasp that ones a year pollinates the frontroom!
fu.k:)))
Normally i look things up, but lemons must be simply put male+female on one tree. South bigger flower growth, hence bigger lemons. Easier process.
And what if the frontroom was of the north? Would everybody here then alsohave an AHA erlebnis? Or would there be groaning and moaning?
he's manually pollinating his lemon tree or he's got lots of insects in his room. lol

St. Croix valley

#78052 Mar 1, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>It's where the lemon tree grows
lemon tree, very pretty, and the lemon flower is sweet. but the fruit of the lemon, is so very hard to eat!

St. Croix valley

#78053 Mar 1, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Alas, i am inland form the great lake a few miles so no view of Superior, but i do have a nice view of a waterfall on a trout stream. if i climb the mountain behind us, i can see both Lake superior to the south and canda to the north!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 2 min Homoousios 248,320
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 24 min Agents of Corruption 381,647
News James Rodger Fleming: Oysters, beer, and a mete... 2 hr Jacklyn 1
News School lunches rise 5 cents; 10 schools keep fr... 8 hr Three Days 7
News Psychologist, PCs calling on Nova Scotia to imp... 15 hr HumanSpirit 1
News Got A Sweet Tooth? Here's The Psychology Behind... 15 hr HumanSpirit 1
News 5 no-diet tips for weight loss 15 hr HumanSpirit 2
More from around the web