Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Comments (Page 3,356)

Showing posts 67,101 - 67,120 of106,238
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Pepsi is better than coke”

Since: Mar 11

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It's okay, I failed to describe something well, that still makes it my mistake. You and HFY's clarifications helped to correct my error.
Sorry...I'm such a stickler!

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Many instances of homosexuality in animals? Not true. Bisexuality maybe. They will hump pretty much anything.
Homosexuality is extremely abnormal. For every one homosexual that exists there are likely millions of bisexuals.
When we're discussing animals, it's better not to use "homosexuality" or "bisexuality" and just talk about sexual behavior. I prefer the terms "same sex sexual behavior" or "opposite sex sexual behavior" though primatologists use the technical jargon of isosexual and contrasexual.

Homosexuality, heteroseuxality and bisexuality are sexual identities of Western culture. Not really applicable to animals - and not always to non-Westerners who do not identify with the Western cultural constructions of identity and sexuality.

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
How do gays recruit? By making it socially acceptable for the far larger bisexual community to swing both ways. I am sure that 9/10ths of the men who saw Brokeback Mountain immediately decided to give it a try. Suddenly it was cool. Then they brought HIV back home to their wives.
Laws are there to discourage them... not gays.
Uh...is the above a joke?

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Genetic diversity is hardly the goal. Evolution generally occurs best in small populations. The less the genetic diversity the more likely a random mutation is to catch on. Hense when brown bears wandered out onto the ice sheets they became polar bears but other brown bears stayed the same. Those hominids who wandered out of Africa during the Ice Age became Neanderthals for much the same reason. Or like birds blown onto remote islands by storm.
Massive genetic diversity is produced when a population is growing at a rapid rate.

You are more specifically describing the strengthened effects of genetic drift and natural selection on small populations - but genetic diversity itself grows fastest in populations that are under high growth. Genetic diversity is lost most quickly in small populations, though you can have high rates of evolution in these populations because genetic drift becomes stronger and, under severe environmental conditions, natural selection is likewise severe.

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

FREE SERVANT wrote:
I know everyone can hide their true identity here, but no wonder self respecting Creationist never come here to debate, it could be because they wouldn't want their children to read some of the trash this thread has turned to. PLease be considerate and get back on topic.
You believe that when creationists come here, they want their children to read these comments?

The thing is, there's no debate. Creationism is not science. It has no testable, disprovable hypotheses and so cannot contribute to science. Creationism does not produce new knowledge or technology. It is quite incapable of doing so.

In science, there is no competing theory with evolution. Evolution is the framework theory of all biological sciences. It unifies all biological phenomena under one explanatory umbrella.

Period. That's it.

and better with rum

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
"You know what? Gays don't want you to be gay. They don't look at you and think "hmmm, I can convert that lovely piece of meat.""
Seems pretty much what you said from where I stand!
Thanks, cleared that up for me.

I stand by that. The gays I know don't want you to be gay, mostly because you're not.

The story you gave about the sailor...that's rape, plain and simple. I'd hardly call that rapist a normal, well adjusted gay man. I'd in fact call him a rapist.

Since: Apr 12

Taizhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

Anita Bryant has a phenomenally silly idea about how gays recruit gays.
She said that gays can't reproduce, therefore they have to recruit from the next generation by molesting boys.

If you have two or more hate targets, it's more efficient to consolidate those hate targets and pretend that they are the same.
In Bryant's case, she apparently hated both gays and pedos, so she pretended that they were the same group.

All through history and all over the world, groups tended to consolidate "everybody but us."
Everyone but Romans were barbarians,
everyone but Israelites were Gentiles,
everyone but Latin Americans are gringos,
everyone but Africans are bwanas,
everyone but gypsies are gorgios,
everyone but beatniks are squares,
everyone but hippies are straights,
everyone but mountaineers are flatlanders,
and everyone but Christians are heathens.

Even right here on this thread, you see the same syndrome.
Creationists hate both atheists and Evolutionists, so they pretend that those are the exact same people.

In prehistoric times, it was not in the evolutionary interests to regard outsiders as individuals.
However, we are now living in an age in which people who are different from each other have to live together whether they want to or not.
Yet our paleomammalian carry this same instinct, just as it always had.
We've talked about vestigial organs, here is a vestigial instinct.

Funny how so many people preach Creationism and demonstrate Evolution.

Since: Apr 12

Taizhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

I don't have the documentation with me, but I read somewhere that animal subjects do all sorts of unpleasant things in overpopulation experiments.
They fight, they murder, they molest juveniles, and guess what--they practice homosexuality!

I tried Googling "animal homosexuality overpopulation."
I got lots of Websites listed, but I couldn't get into any of them.
(China's Internet service is as crummy as all get out.)

If someone else could perform such a search and tell me what you get, I would appreciate it--whether I'm wrong or right.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe that when creationists come here, they want their children to read these comments?
The thing is, there's no debate. Creationism is not science. It has no testable, disprovable hypotheses and so cannot contribute to science. Creationism does not produce new knowledge or technology. It is quite incapable of doing so.
In science, there is no competing theory with evolution. Evolution is the framework theory of all biological sciences. It unifies all biological phenomena under one explanatory umbrella.
Period. That's it.
SCP theory is a good replacement.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

Darwin was wrong when he concluded that the forces of change acting on any population of organisms were only competition, desease, climate, etc, and that they resulted in the survival of those more fitted to the environment. A species is engaged and made use of in a paricular activity that is a suitable place or position for the kind to function to do work within a given ecological system. Each kind or species has instructional constituents within their makeup to allow for change if needs be to function. The instructions are provided as templates or patterns which produce copies through cycling. SCPID/SEED/WORK theory is a group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for diversity of life known today as well as functioning of all natural systems eveywhere throughout our known uinverse.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
You are very judgemental.
We all are. Mostly when it's about money. To some degree, other factors. For the most part, I consider myself judgmental above the table. I doubt you'll see a better ideal.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Thomas Robertson wrote:
I don't have the documentation with me, but I read somewhere that animal subjects do all sorts of unpleasant things in overpopulation experiments.
They fight, they murder, they molest juveniles, and guess what--they practice homosexuality!
I tried Googling "animal homosexuality overpopulation."
I got lots of Websites listed, but I couldn't get into any of them.
(China's Internet service is as crummy as all get out.)
If someone else could perform such a search and tell me what you get, I would appreciate it--whether I'm wrong or right.
Well, I haven't googled it, but I've posted a few items in agreement, and that is why I consider a good portion of the politics of this debate to be about urban vs. rural culture.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, cleared that up for me.
I stand by that. The gays I know don't want you to be gay, mostly because you're not.
The story you gave about the sailor...that's rape, plain and simple. I'd hardly call that rapist a normal, well adjusted gay man. I'd in fact call him a rapist.
You're missing the point though. Law is largely about enforcement. If you're just a sailor without legal means, the norm is about what you can get away with. Taking chances is the norm.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that there is a dimension of space that can be accessed through dreams induced by different frequencies or brain waves. lol
This might be true...but I have found there's really no need to "induce"
it in any way...It's a completely natural phenomenon.

It's more of a question of unbias awareness eliminating preconceived filters that limit perception.

not that I'm no expert on the subject...I'm strictly speaking from my own experience.

here's a Synchronicity experience for ya...I was thinking about Edgar Allan Poe The Raven, and had just brought up a picture of a crow on my computer...and almost immediately a crow, not ten feet from my window called out five times and flew away...I kid you not...just how it happened.

I might hear a crow call where I live about once a month or so, if I'm lucky...but this was way to much to be a coincidence.

“Waytogo”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

Ok religous people let me ask this.

If evolution doesnt work in your mind because something cant come out of nothing. Then if your god cerated the world who cretaed your god because he could not have come out of nothing right?????

So maybe you should worship grand dadd y god or great grand daddy god......
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

ToManyLaws wrote:
If evolution doesnt work in your mind because something cant come out of nothing. Then if your god cerated the world who cretaed your god because he could not have come out of nothing right?????
The God of the Bible is THE one who brought ALL things into existence in THE beginning. He could see the end from the beginning when it all started. We may not have the reasoning capacity to understand this.

“Waytogo”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>The God of the Bible is THE one who brought ALL things into existence in THE beginning. He could see the end from the beginning when it all started. We may not have the reasoning capacity to understand this.
So then your god did POOF into being....Got it.....So your whole buybull and rleigion is just lies...Ok good...

have any proof of what you said above????
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

According to the Bible mankind was made in the image and likeness of the Creator and given dominion over all the earth. Humans are very special to the Creator and we are not just another wild animal creature.

“Waytogo”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

FREE SERVANT wrote:
According to the Bible mankind was made in the image and likeness of the Creator and given dominion over all the earth. Humans are very special to the Creator and we are not just another wild animal creature.
The buybull did say "OUR" image.. So must be many gods out there huh....

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

ToManyLaws wrote:
The idea behind that is that God is infinite...without beginning or end. Being infinite he would not be subject to time.

as far as worshiping goes...have you even seen someone who's plane had almost crashed, and they get down on their hands and knees and kiss the ground after they land?... At that moment... they realize what a great gift life is.

In essence worshiping God is just like that...getting down on your knees and bowing your head, to show your your deep appreciation for the gift of life.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 67,101 - 67,120 of106,238
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Science Forum right now

Search the Science Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 15 min Quirky 219,164
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 40 min El Cid 193,679
Satoshi's Revolution: How The Creator Of Bitcoi... 2 hr Sean William 1
A 'Map' Of Smokers Shows How Far Their Influenc... 3 hr Gatvol 82
Waterman faces challenge from Thais in District 39 (Oct '10) 6 hr Done John W 15
In Internet TV case, justices show concern 8 hr Robert 4
DEC commissioner sides with Flint Hills refiner... 9 hr as we see it 1
•••
•••
•••
•••