Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 223360 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#37223 Aug 11, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe in magic... Don't kid yourself. If you don't think creating man from a microbe is magic, what is?

3.5 billion years of evolution is magic?
Dr Rain

Stratford, Canada

#37224 Aug 11, 2012
When a group has staked everything on a religious belief, and 'burned their bridges behind them,' only to find this belief dis-confirmed by events, they may find disillusionment too painful to endure. They soon come up with some explanatory rationalization, the plausibility of which will be reinforced by the mutual encouragement of fellow-believers in the group. In order to increase further the plausibility of their threatened belief, they may engage in a massive new effort at proselytizing. The more people who can be convinced, the truer it will seem.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#37225 Aug 11, 2012
Dr Rain wrote:
<quoted text>
Your own mommy did it in 9-months and we call that child birth -- single-celled microbe to multi-celled chips eating, forum writing magic-spewing, bible thumper ;)
If you think anyone has anything more than a miniscule understanding of embryogenesis you're gravely mistaken.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#37226 Aug 11, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>If you think anyone has anything more than a miniscule understanding of embryogenesis you're gravely mistaken.
Evolution's a fact. Only idiots and liars think otherwise. Again, facts.
Dr Rain

Stratford, Canada

#37227 Aug 11, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>If you think anyone has anything more than a miniscule understanding of embryogenesis you're gravely mistaken.
That wasn't your original question :-) Feel free to look back to refresh your memory.

You might want to rethink and then ask a different question.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#37228 Aug 11, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
3.5 billion years of evolution is magic?
3.5 billion years of evolution is a story... And there is no science to back it up.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#37229 Aug 11, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe in magic... Don't kid yourself. If you don't think creating man from a microbe is magic, what is?
Magic is things that are beyond the laws of physics. Nothing about the evolution of a microbe to humans does that.
Dr Rain

Stratford, Canada

#37230 Aug 11, 2012
The different between Science and Creationism can't be clearer:

We, in Science, don't define an absolute must-have conclusion and then pick, chose and modify the evidence to make sure it fits that conclusion.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#37231 Aug 11, 2012
Dr Rain wrote:
"Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing 'Yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down, down, down. Amen!' If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it."
--Dan Barker

Evolutionary biologists are not scientists.
And, yes, they do essentially join hands and pay homage to Darwin. They get on their soapboxes and preach their cherished doctrine.

The Canadian entomologist William R. Thompson, FRS (1887-1972), observed,

"The concept of organic Evolution is very highly prized by biologists, for many of whom it is an object of genuinely religious devotion, because they regard it as a supreme integrative principle. This is probably the reason why the severe methodological criticism employed in other departments of biology has not yet been brought to bear against evolutionary speculation."

*(Thompson, W.R.*, "Science and Common Sense: An Aristotelian Excursion," [1937], Magi Books: Albany NY, 1965, reprint, p.229).[emphasis added]
HTS

Mandan, ND

#37232 Aug 11, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Magic is things that are beyond the laws of physics. Nothing about the evolution of a microbe to humans does that.
Oh, really? Show me the physics that indicates that DNA can build up hundreds of millions of purposeful information sequences by chance? There is no science behind it... Only faith in unknown hope for forces.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Santa Fe, NM

#37233 Aug 11, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, really? Show me the physics that indicates that DNA can build up hundreds of millions of purposeful information sequences by chance? There is no science behind it... Only faith in unknown hope for forces.
Is it safe to assume you will henceforth be stonewalling for biblegod?

St. Croix valley

#37234 Aug 11, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said it is by chance? it is in response to environmental conditions. No magic needed. no magic has ever happened in all the recorded history of mankind.
Dr Rain

Stratford, Canada

#37235 Aug 11, 2012
HTS wrote:
HTC, you are a fascinating patient here. I am becoming more sympathetic to your writings.

Curious, don't you think that if there was a single piece of evidence that refuted evolution that it would have been brought forth and published in Nature or other critical publication and further, tested and confirmed by other worldly scientists? And ultimately be up for a Nobel Prize for radically changing the entire face of not only Biology but several other fields like Geology and Anthropology. Recall that Evolution is a cornerstone of Biology. Without evolution Biology doesn't exist. There are NO Scientific fields of study that contradict Evolution, only ones that support it (e.g. geology).

Seriously, if there was that single piece of evidence that proved evolution wrong i too would LOVE to know it because who wouldnt want to be the discoverer that overturned 150 years of scientific facts. And having a Nobel Prize to boot wouldn't be bad either :-)

And i wouldnt be alone! I can assure you EVERY SCIENTIST would love that honor. But alas no evidence has ever come forth to prove it wrong! And i mean NONE! Nadda! Zip! I encourage you to find a single one.

If you know something we don't please i encourage you to present it for proper peer review! Change the world, my friend!

But be warned, a Burning Bush telling you so might not be your best kind of evidence -- that usually can get you put in a hospital.
RU CRS
#37236 Aug 11, 2012
Dr Rain wrote:
<quoted text>
I really am fascinated by you and other faith believers. Truly i am. It's such a different and peculiar perspective on life. One just can't help but think your collective group are merely faking all of this; that you really dont believe this magic nonsense, or alternatively, that you are in fact young kids who got a hold of your parent's laptops. I don't mean that to offend you, but to give you a better idea of what your perspective comes off like to people who rely on facts for a living.
I use to be Christian and actually went to a private Christian school when i was a little kid (dress code and all) but it wasn't until High School and thinking more independently and ultimately entering medicine that i became an atheist.
From my perspective it feels like one needs to have a form of "fear" (an insecurity) before one can (and need to) believe in a God(s). That is what i felt when i was a kid. That fear was also linked to a lack of (and avoidance of) knowledge that might make me more fearful -- in other words, avoiding any facts that upset my faith in a god. And so a belief in a higher being gave me that comfort so i didn't have to be afraid and insecure.
But the more knowledge i gained the more i realized how ignorant i was and that there was nothing to be afraid of. It was then that i became happy and really loved life -- living it to its fullest right now instead of waiting to die before actually have one in some fairytale afterlife.
The most important thing a society can give its people at the very least is high-quality free education and healthcare because a lot of the fears religions pray on are insecurities people have in their daily lives. This is why religions can and has worked very well in third world countries. The more those insecurities reduce and the higher a society raises on the Maslow Hierarchy of Needs the less of a reason they have for religions and their voodoo.
The problem with the so-called free stuff is that the spending can get out of control and ultimately everyone is sold out to red China by our politicians because they have borrowed to give away things.
HTS

Mandan, ND

#37237 Aug 11, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Who said it is by chance? it is in response to environmental conditions. No magic needed. no magic has ever happened in all the recorded history of mankind.
As far as you know, it's magic... Unless you can delineate what "environmental conditions" can prompt the self assembly of DNA and single cell life.
You say no magic has ever occurred. I agree. God is not magic.

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#37238 Aug 11, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolutionary biologists are not scientists.
which explains why they have a Bachelor or Masters of SCIENCE degrees
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The Canadian entomologist William R. Thompson, FRS (1887-1972), observed,
"The concept of organic Evolution is very highly prized by biologists, for many of whom it is an object of genuinely religious devotion, because they regard it as a supreme integrative principle. This is probably the reason why the severe methodological criticism employed in other departments of biology has not yet been brought to bear against evolutionary speculation."
*(Thompson, W.R.*, "Science and Common Sense: An Aristotelian Excursion," [1937], Magi Books: Albany NY, 1965, reprint, p.229).[emphasis added]
said the man who studies bugs
HTS

Mandan, ND

#37239 Aug 11, 2012
Dr Rain wrote:
<quoted text>
HTC, you are a fascinating patient here. I am becoming more sympathetic to your writings.
Curious, don't you think that if there was a single piece of evidence that refuted evolution that it would have been brought forth and published in Nature or other critical publication and further, tested and confirmed by other worldly scientists? And ultimately be up for a Nobel Prize for radically changing the entire face of not only Biology but several other fields like Geology and Anthropology. Recall that Evolution is a cornerstone of Biology. Without evolution Biology doesn't exist. There are NO Scientific fields of study that contradict Evolution, only ones that support it (e.g. geology).
Seriously, if there was that single piece of evidence that proved evolution wrong i too would LOVE to know it because who wouldnt want to be the discoverer that overturned 150 years of scientific facts. And having a Nobel Prize to boot wouldn't be bad either :-)
And i wouldnt be alone! I can assure you EVERY SCIENTIST would love that honor. But alas no evidence has ever come forth to prove it wrong! And i mean NONE! Nadda! Zip! I encourage you to find a single one.
If you know something we don't please i encourage you to present it for proper peer review! Change the world, my friend!
But be warned, a Burning Bush telling you so might not be your best kind of evidence -- that usually can get you put in a hospital.
You falsely believe that scientists aren't emotional human beings that harbor bias.
There is a lot of. Scientific evidence that falsifies evolution... It is largely ignored because the evolutionary paradigm is fixed.
Fr example, it has been scientifically demonstratednduringnthe last 20 years that the human genome is gradually deteriorating with each and every generation. This is the opposite of what evolution is claimed to be doing. Evolutionists have no explanation for this. They simply hold on to their cherished dogma when science contradicts it.

St. Croix valley

#37240 Aug 11, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>As far as you know, it's magic... Unless you can delineate what "environmental conditions" can prompt the self assembly of DNA and single cell life.
You say no magic has ever occurred. I agree. God is not magic.
A god would be considered magic and there is not one shred of evidence of any of that kind of magic ever.

You are now changing the discussion. we were talking about an already living microbe developing within the known concepts of science, not how life started.
Dr Rain

Stratford, Canada

#37241 Aug 11, 2012
RU CRS wrote:
The problem with the so-called free stuff is that the spending can get out of control and ultimately everyone is sold out to red China by our politicians because they have borrowed to give away things.
Firstly, its not "free stuff". It's an investment. A healthy society is a prospering, working society. All industrialized countries, except the US, has free universal healthcare as an example and they ALL love it. Our countries people live longer is just one quick fact.

My country, Canada, has it, and technically our economy is doing better than yours. That's a fact! We are also in a surplus! And our Dollar is more powerful than yours. We were also one of the few countries that didnt suffer the ill effects of poorly deregulated Banks like your Financial Disaster of 2008 which continues to exacerbate your economic problems -- they havent been fixed and continue to gamble with tax-payer money until the next collapse. That is a fact.

So your real problem in the US isn't domestic spending (btw your war spending is definitely out of control) its that your politicians because of a lack of proper Campaign Fiance Reform can be bought for cheap by big business and rich folks to manipulate the system in their favor (drop regulations, tax cuts for them and no one else, etc) and destroy and rob the REAL backbone of a country's real resource: its middle-class workers.

Giving more and more tax breaks to the super rich and then robbing the social security bank to pay for these tax cuts and that made up war of Iraq, and now making excuses that social security is going bankrupt unless there is reform is the real crime, and you conservatives refuse to read the facts to see it.

Your system is broken. And the real core of it seem to be money in politics. Unless that is fixed America will continue to die! End of story.
Dr Rain

Stratford, Canada

#37242 Aug 11, 2012
HTS wrote:
You falsely believe that scientists aren't emotional human beings that harbor bias.
There is a lot of. Scientific evidence that falsifies evolution... It is largely ignored because the evolutionary paradigm is fixed.
Fr example, it has been scientifically demonstratednduringnthe last 20 years that the human genome is gradually deteriorating with each and every generation. This is the opposite of what evolution is claimed to be doing. Evolutionists have no explanation for this. They simply hold on to their cherished dogma when science contradicts it.
LOL. You are a fascinating one i will give you that.

You definitely seem more emotionally angry with Science for not confirming your hopes than you are concerned with providing factual evidence to support your claims of an existence of supernatural occurrences.

What that tells me, and everyone else here, is that because you don't have evidence to support your claim you are left trying to figure out ways to fain ignorance so as to say "see because you cant answer my question this magically proves i am right that God did this..and that..and a Vampire jumped into a rocket and flew to Mars...and a Pink Unicorn said 'Stay the Course Young Man'".

Seriously HTS you do realize you come off as a young child. Or a very frightened adult, right? Again, this isnt to offend you, but make you see what rational thinkers see of you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What Makes Trump So Dangerous? 2 hr Trump is a joke 16
News Tyson Foods: New facility in Tennessee to creat... 9 hr Guest 119
News High court rejects farmer who tangled with Tyson (Jan '11) Sun National Retard A... 12
News The Launch Place announces $200,000 investment Sun Barbara Hudson 1
News Super moon, lunar eclipse, king tides combine f... Sun Rays 1
News There Still Wasn't a War on Cops in 2017 Sun Steve 2
News Man charged with selling stolen cattle in Tenne... Sat King Poop 1
More from around the web