4.3 magnitude earthquake near Whitesburg, KY shakes region

Nov 10, 2012 Full story: WBIR-TV 11

According to the United States Geological Survey, a 4.3 magnitude earthquake hit near Whitesburg, KY at 12:08 pm eastern time on Saturday.

Full Story
Who Cares About Kentucky

London, KY

#1 Nov 10, 2012
I felt it here in Hazard, Kentucky ... Why aren't any national news networks talking about this story right now? I haven't seen it reported anywhere except WYMT so far. If this had happened in another state, it would have been breaking news on CNN and Fox News Channel. They're still talking about the presidential election, Hurricane Sandy that happened two weeks ago, and General Petraeus having an affair. Who cares? WE GOT AN EARTHQUAKE. A 4.3 EARTHQUAKE. It was felt as far north as Columbus, Ohio and as far south as Tallahassee, Florida. Why doesn't national journalists give a crap about that?
Lia

Somerset, KY

#2 Nov 10, 2012
I felt it in Monticello Ky....felt about 5 seconds worth....had my vision shaking
Byron

Whitesburg, KY

#3 Nov 10, 2012
It wasn't worth being on CNN.. I live a few miles from ground zero of the quake, and it wasn't bad.. not worth breaking news at all..

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#4 Nov 11, 2012
Yeah...it shook my house...what people should be concerned with is it a PRE shake before a large one hits? We do have a fault line..
Buddy

London, KY

#5 Nov 11, 2012
It was on CNN bc my grandmother lives in biz mark and she heard about it on the news.
shaker

United States

#6 Nov 14, 2012
it was actually a 5.3
USGS has had a habit of downgrading (or completely erasing) quake data for the past year or so.
It shook everything out of the windows and off of the walls in my friends place in Vicco.

“Priestess of the Mountains”

Since: May 10

United States

#7 Nov 14, 2012
I live about 3 miles from the epicenter, and it barely shook anything here. But I noticed that many of the people who lived closer didn't feel as much as those say, that lived in Whiteburg, Hazard, etc. Heck, when my washing machine gets off balance it shakes the house more that that earthquake!
Brushey Bill

Whitesburg, KY

#8 Nov 14, 2012
I heard it flattened Letcher county, and the damage could run into the hundreds.
Curious

Lily, KY

#9 Nov 15, 2012
Earth quakes of this magnitude happen very often and dont get reported. Check it out on USGS.gov

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#10 Nov 15, 2012
I can tell you this, a small hemlock on one side of a little pool in the creek beside my house, has moved from the center up about 12 inches from where it was several years ago. There have seen small "nudges" of my house for several years now. Has anyone else noticed this, and how long has it been going on? If this is more or less recent activity we could be in for a big pile of trouble...our old buildings and homes were never built to withstand a real earthquake.
Hello

Kathmandu, Nepal

#11 Nov 15, 2012
Magnitude 5.2 earthquake in Kentucky in 1980 is the strongest in the history of Kentucky. It was felt over all or parts of 15 States and in Ontario, Canada. Damage occurred in Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio.
http://www.disaster-report.com/2012/11/modera...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 18 min Historian 127,998
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 19 min FRCS FRCOG 205,963
CO2 myth busted: Why we need more carbon dioxid... (Mar '13) 22 min tha Professor 15
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 24 min Agents of Corruption 284,190
john goulet bio (Jul '10) 1 hr Drew1224 4
News 9 Investigates The Phenomenon Of RODS 2 hr Joe B 1
UCSB Professor Shuji Nakamura to Receive Japan'... 2 hr SHlTWORMDAEGUDEBD... 55

Science People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE