Off-duty trooper shoots neighbor's dog

Full story: WNYT Albany 127
A Schenectady couple is pointing fingers at the police after an off-duty state trooper points his gun at their pooch, killing the dog. Full Story
amstaff lover

Gloversville, NY

#108 Feb 29, 2008
Ok, if you don't own, or have ever been around a properly trained american staffshire terrior, or pit bull as you all like to say, then you have no right to even comment. You would just be unfair to the dogs and their owners. I own an american staffshire terrior, and she is the sweetest thing I have ever owned!(All together I have owned 5 dogs, and grew up on a farm so I have been around all different types of animals!) It all depends on the owner and how the dog was trained and handled. If you look at the little ankle bitters, they are the worst with bitting, and being aggressive, but you don't see them on T.V. or in the news.
Some people really should do their research before judging animals and their owners. As for the comments on the name of the dog... IT IS JUST A NAME... These people might have had a sense of humor unlike most of you commenting on here!!!!
Supreme Grand Master

Wynantskill, NY

#110 Feb 29, 2008
The copper should have done a flip over the dog as it was running at him then being behind the beast put it into a choke hold and bit the dog's ear. Instead of a gun i think ninja stars would have been more effective because you can dip them in poison. Also carrying fairy dust with you can give you the ability of elevation, which no doubt would have come in useful. I am willing to teach these skills to any of the people on this forum who disagree with the cop's action. call me at 1-800-your-an-idiot
Marty

Wynantskill, NY

#111 Feb 29, 2008
This issue has nothing to do with it being a bit bull, I don't care if it was a collie....if an animal is off the leash and attacking someone, it should be destroyed. End of Story!
Truth

AOL

#112 Mar 1, 2008
Pitt Bulls STATISTICALLY are more aggressive, and cause more injury than most other breeds. It's a FACT, not an opinion. Look it up.

http://www.dogbite.org/pages/dogsmostlikely.h...

There are other breeds included in the list as well. The owner is the one to blame here.

Most likely to kill is Pit Bull followed by Rottweiler:

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.ht...

I'm tired of owners proclaiming how "sweet" the breed is. read the stats.

The officer did nothing wrong. The owner is an idiot.
Gamma ma

Ballston Lake, NY

#113 Mar 1, 2008
THANK YOU I HAVE OWNED BOTH.ITS THE WAY THEY ARE RAISED
wing wing

Troy, NY

#114 Mar 2, 2008
I have grown up with dobermans my entire life and have 2 today! King dobeys actually! and my friend has a rescue pit. the only reasons why the stats are that way about pits are because people have made them that way! dogs that attack simply arent trained properly and socialized with people, its the owners fault! not the breed! look at all the cockers that have bitten children, and the chiwawahs that have little man syndrome, and the poodles that nip people are so damn ignorant it makes me hate most of them! my dogs are sweet, but im not gonna lie, they havent been socialized enough, therefore there are certain precautions you take when traveling (muzzles, fenced in yard) ect. The pitbulls though, i know dozens that live with kids, and love people, they are so happy, energetic and they are a great family dog!
now you i think...you need to research what these statistics are based on and the factors that create these statistics, i guarentee you will find out that its because people train these dogs as weapons therefore they are more likely to attack, do you ever hear of gangsters training a collie to fight....NO why? because its more exiting to see a dog with a killer jaw and a huge bite kill (thats what these sickos are thinking)
anyone who singles out a breed as being evil is just plain stupid!
Truth wrote:
Pitt Bulls STATISTICALLY are more aggressive, and cause more injury than most other breeds. It's a FACT, not an opinion. Look it up.
http://www.dogbite.org/pages/dogsmostlikely.h...
There are other breeds included in the list as well. The owner is the one to blame here.
Most likely to kill is Pit Bull followed by Rottweiler:
http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.ht...
I'm tired of owners proclaiming how "sweet" the breed is. read the stats.
The officer did nothing wrong. The owner is an idiot.
Gamma ma

Schenectady, NY

#115 Mar 2, 2008
Say it again Wing Wing!!!!
BoBoSO_ALB

Schenectady, NY

#116 Mar 3, 2008
amstaff lover wrote:
Ok, if you don't own, or have ever been around a properly trained american staffshire terrior, or pit bull as you all like to say, then you have no right to even comment. You would just be unfair to the dogs and their owners. I own an american staffshire terrior, and she is the sweetest thing I have ever owned!(All together I have owned 5 dogs, and grew up on a farm so I have been around all different types of animals!) It all depends on the owner and how the dog was trained and handled. If you look at the little ankle bitters, they are the worst with bitting, and being aggressive, but you don't see them on T.V. or in the news.
Some people really should do their research before judging animals and their owners. As for the comments on the name of the dog... IT IS JUST A NAME... These people might have had a sense of humor unlike most of you commenting on here!!!!
I've owned 3 AmStaffs in my life All three were great family dogs raised around kids and never hurt anyone, the first two died of old age the third died defending my 9yr old grandson from two stray rottwielers that jumped the fence he killed both the other dogs but had to be put down due to his injuries. Now this kind and gentle dog killed two full grown bigger dogs.
Now reguardless of training the breed has the strength and capablility to do great damage. If I was the cop and I thought any dog was coming at me to attack I would put the dog down It is Not the officers fault it is the owners. Sorry but an animals life should never come in front of an innocent person
Truth

AOL

#117 Mar 3, 2008
have grown up with dobermans my entire life and have 2 today! King dobeys actually! and my friend has a rescue pit. the only reasons why the stats are that way about pits are because people have made them that way!
They have also been BRED to BE THAT WAY. Unfortunately, it is now in their bloodline, like it or not. It is part of the breed temperment.
Almost weekly we hear news stories of the "lovely family pet pit bull" and an unprovoked attack. You will never convince me this breed isn't more aggressive and prone to attack just by nature of it's bloodline.(Yes, we can probably blame man for that, but it is what it is.) It's ignorant to claim otherwise.
Owners who AREN'T willing to accept that the breed can be and IS dangerous are the ones who are a threat. They need to keep their dogs under control 24/7.
Derrick

Albany, NY

#118 Mar 3, 2008
"He told the dog to step" How many dogs speak english? I bet this dog did not know how to read either. Perhaps the dog was hard of hearing and needed a hearing aid? In any event new cops are often itching to shoot someone or something.
dmac wrote:
glad to see others finally agree that the owner was in the wrong...
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...
this aticle clearly states that the officer warned the dog by tellin it to step before shooting
Derrick

Albany, NY

#119 Mar 3, 2008
Youre right if anyone else shot a dog they would be in handcuffs for cruelty to animals. But cops have always been above the law. No one can complain to the cops about a cop either. Its the fox sent to invenstigate the chicken coop. No cop can stand to be rotated through "Internal Affairs". They cannot wait to get out. They know that every shooting, every brutality charge, every abuse of authority is automatically justified. If you do not justify it ,then watch out when you do something and a complaint is made against you. You become a marked man if you ever suggest another cop did wrong. You are a pariah, and subject to the silence, and sabotage.
dmac

Wynantskill, NY

#120 Mar 3, 2008
hey derrick, u idiot, u must be a low expectation having, blame the police for "holdin you down" type person.....
Meggan

Hudson, NY

#121 Mar 3, 2008
what's gonna happen if this guy asks for an ice cream, and then maybe u don't go get that ice cream right away? is he gonna shoot you too?
Gamma ma

Schenectady, NY

#122 Mar 3, 2008
Some people just miss the whole point of this post which would be about the officers reaction to a loose dog coming at him. Iask you any of you what would you have done? Now remember this is a full grown I believe {RED NOSE} Pittbull.Or any of the big breed dogs? What would you do,how would you respond?

Since: Feb 08

Burlington, VT

#123 Mar 4, 2008
BoBoSO_ALB wrote:
<quoted text>I've owned 3 AmStaffs in my life All three were great family dogs raised around kids and never hurt anyone, the first two died of old age the third died defending my 9yr old grandson from two stray rottwielers that jumped the fence he killed both the other dogs but had to be put down due to his injuries. Now this kind and gentle dog killed two full grown bigger dogs.
Now reguardless of training the breed has the strength and capablility to do great damage. If I was the cop and I thought any dog was coming at me to attack I would put the dog down It is Not the officers fault it is the owners. Sorry but an animals life should never come in front of an innocent person
Finally a dog(pit bull) owner who is willing to see the light, any dog can be dangerous, bigger breeds even more so It is the owners responsibility to control there animals at ALL times.
"Opps he got out by mistake" is not an excuse. If you can't handle the task of keeping control of your pets do not get one... the cause of this lies with the owner
Jenn

Albany, NY

#124 Mar 4, 2008
I know pit bulls get a bad rap, and I agree that a dogs demeanor is all in the way it was raised. I have known pit bulls that were the nicest dogs in the world.

But you have to look at it from this way. If you were alone, and a dog was running towards you...and happened to be a pit bull...what would you do? It's just an unfortunate coincidence that this guy was a cop and therefore had a gun on him and shot the dog. How was he to know if the dog was vicious or not?
Just had to weigh in

Chattanooga, TN

#126 Mar 7, 2008
Of interest the gentleman said he didn't what this to happen because "he was a pit bull". It didn't. I happened because another dog "owner" didn't take care of his pet. The dog got through a "make-shift" fence. Why not a real fence - I own a pit-mix and would probably still shoot a strange one charging at me. They are rough and ready dogs and have to be kept under close watch.
wing ding

Troy, NY

#127 Mar 8, 2008
your right about the breeding, and your also right about people being aware thatthey have a deadly weapon...most dogs that are known as a so called attack breed do have owners that are aware of, and in a way obsessed with that breed! I know we have deadle weapons in our house, but they arent taught to be deadly, they dont even know what deadly is, they will prolly hold the door for a robber actually! but i wouldnt trust them with lik kids crawling all over them or when they are eating (safety precaution) If i were the cop, i prolly would have shot a mad scary deadly pitbull too! however i do love all dogs...just not ones that are trying to kill me!
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
They have also been BRED to BE THAT WAY. Unfortunately, it is now in their bloodline, like it or not. It is part of the breed temperment.
Almost weekly we hear news stories of the "lovely family pet pit bull" and an unprovoked attack. You will never convince me this breed isn't more aggressive and prone to attack just by nature of it's bloodline.(Yes, we can probably blame man for that, but it is what it is.) It's ignorant to claim otherwise.
Owners who AREN'T willing to accept that the breed can be and IS dangerous are the ones who are a threat. They need to keep their dogs under control 24/7.
Derrick

Albany, NY

#128 Mar 27, 2008
The only dogs that speak and understand english are human dogs. How could this animal understand english. maybe the cop thought the dog also knew how to read and write.
dmac wrote:
glad to see others finally agree that the owner was in the wrong...
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...
this aticle clearly states that the officer warned the dog by tellin it to step before shooting
pablo

Slingerlands, NY

#129 Mar 27, 2008
why wrote:
Why is it that we never here about golden retriever attacks? Because Pit bulls are more likely to attack people. You clowns who own them can say what ever you like but the facts remain these dogs are dangerous. Every time I see something like this it makes me wonder, with all the beautiful dogs in the world, why the hell would anyone in their right mind want to own one of these ugly, mean a$$ dogs?
actually, golden retrivers and labs bite more people every year in this country then all other breeds combined. If this cop felt he was in danger he had every right to shoot that dog. the pit is definately the choice for white trash and or black trash although this is not always the case. nice shootin' tex!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Schenectady Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr Los Angeles 19,209
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 8 hr henu 6,432
Pastor David M Wells New Life Ministries (Mar '11) 16 hr Daveb1972 148
Debate: Gay Marriage - Schenectady, NY (Jul '10) Sep 13 InChrist 32
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Sep 12 Stan Stasiak 16,786
Albany County prosecutors suspended over Facebo... Sep 9 Piece of mind 1
test Sep 9 anonymousrotterdam 1
•••
•••
Schenectady Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Schenectady Jobs

•••
•••
•••