Off-duty trooper shoots neighbor's dog

Full story: WNYT Albany

A Schenectady couple is pointing fingers at the police after an off-duty state trooper points his gun at their pooch, killing the dog.
Comments
81 - 100 of 127 Comments Last updated Jul 13, 2012
Post4u

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2008

Seriously people get a grip. It is not about grammer, its about the fact that the dog was shot just because it was a pit.
dmac

Wynantskill, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2008

dog got shot cause it was charging, and all of u people who love to blame officers would have done the same thing and if u type on an interent site saying you wouldn't ur just lying, cause if a dog is charging you u have very little time to react, there are LAWS saying keep dogs on a leash, thats a law the owner obviously broke....fine him, you would think that if he had a 'makeshift fence' the least he could do was watch the dog when he let him out. what a irresponsible owner
Educated Thoughts

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2008

So here is a statistic…attacks by pit bulls accounted for about a third of the 238 fatal dog attacks in the United States during a 20-year study, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That may be one reason for people perceiving a pit bull as more vicious than other breeds. In fact, in some states pit bulls are recognized in civil dog-bite cases as inherently vicious and the plaintiff need not even provide proof that the dog is prone to aggressive behavior and the defendant owner is held strictly liable for damages. However, it does not matter what type of medium - large breed dog was charging (even Labradors attack)…

The owners are legally responsible for the actions and care of the animals they own…that includes properly securing a dog. There is very little time to react when a dog charges to attack. Running away can make an attack worse and there is no guarantee that a person will be able to find safety before it is too late. Why would you wait until a dog is attached to your arm, teeth sunken in, ripping flesh, and tasting your blood to attempt to defend yourself? What is unfortunate in this situation is that a dog owner negligently secured their animal, leading to an unknown and dangerous situation. If the dog had bitten the trooper and inflicted a serious injury, the trooper could have been rendered disabled. I highly doubt the owner had a homeowner’s (or even renter’s) insurance policy that could have compensated the trooper for his loss, if the attack had been completed. A human life is more significant than the life of an animal. We are not discussing shooting a person. A fair comparison to a dog charging at you with teeth bared is similar to person charging at you with a weapon clearly shown. We are not talking about just somebody running towards you…two very different creatures and situations.(That is not to say that animals are not part of our families and provide a great deal of joy in everyday life.)

It seems that the trooper in this story made verbal commands to the dog to stop and, upon perceiving a threat, acted in a manner to protect his, as well as by-standers, well-being. To those of you who have criticized this trooper for his actions, please step back for a moment and imagine yourself in the same situation. You may be unable to sit on your high horse when your adrenaline is rushing and you must make a quick decision. For those who have tried to imply that this trooper would act in an unprofessional manner while on the job because of the possibly life-saving decision he made in this instance, Shame! Shame on you for implying that this trooper, who spent 26 weeks enduring the most grueling physical and mental training, sacrificing his life on a daily basis to defend and assist us, not knowing if he will kiss his family goodnight a next time, would act in any other way but as an upright professional!

I am happy that one of our trooper still looks good, which is more than I can say for this pitbull attack victim… http://www.dogsbite.org/blog/uploaded_images/...
dmac

Wynantskill, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2008

hey educated thoughts, that was well said, from the looks of the responses it seems the well-educated people are backing the trooper. I'm glad to see that.
Gamma ma

Ballston Spa, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2008

Well wrote:
<quoted text>
Great, you own a pittbull, but you are just as ignorant to the breed as people who hate against them. Where are you getting your information from? Why dont you use your internet connection to Google Pitbulls and read that they are NOT an unpredictable breed. Im sure if you thought they were so "unpredictable" you would have make the great decision to MAKE ONE YOUR PET.
From experience you dear sir need to read up on your material whats wrong with your comprehension skills in most of the stories in the article the people new or had these dogs for awhile then they snapped.Hence the term unpredictable may be to you its not seen that way. I will ask you what I asked a previous poster DO YOU OWN A DOG OR EVEN A PITT BULL ?
Gamma ma

Ballston Spa, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2008

Okay here it is for the poster from troy who keeps chaning his name.IMO I personally love pittbulls all I am trying to say its the way they are raised that can make and or determine to a degree how their temperment will be.Some individuaals beat their dogs into submission to the way the owner wants them to be. Others like myself rather use reward system for good behavior,and firm commands for not so good behavior. I truly believe its all in the way that a pittbull is raised that determines the way they will be. IMO
Kevin

Watervliet, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2008

I'm gonna go shoot me some things now. I'll take a walk through the woods and every animal I see will be perceived as a threat and dealt with as such. I'm learning by example that these 'professional' people have set.
Carol

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2008

AiN wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have psychic abilities to tell that the dog was going to "Maul" him. Oh wait, no your just ignorant and assume thats what the dog would have done. I hope you get bit!
You still did not answer my question.
What would YOU have done.

PS. Its not nice to wish that I would get bit, but that just shows what kind of person you are.
Gamma ma

Ballston Spa, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2008

Gamma ma wrote:
Okay here it is for the poster from troy who keeps chaning his name.IMO I personally love pittbulls all I am trying to say its the way they are raised that can make and or determine to a degree how their temperment will be.Some individuaals beat their dogs into submission to the way the owner wants them to be. Others like myself rather use reward system for good behavior,and firm commands for not so good behavior. I truly believe its all in the way that a pittbull is raised that determines the way they will be. IMO
changing individuals . was typing to fast
Gamma ma

Ballston Spa, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2008

C-TOWN wrote:
<quoted text>
What?? You make no sence, I though your prior comment said you own a pitbull. So you are for them or not. Anyways the PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING, you said "I myself had to have my sons dog put down because of the way he was train" - therefore you are an IGNORANT, lazy dog owner, just adding to the bad rap of a pitbull, because you didnt want to take the time out of your "many children having" life to raise and train a dog the proper way. Dogs need to be socialized, just like people. Leave a person boxed in a room for years im sure they wont be to friendly to newcomers. You have "too many children for THAT TYPE OF DOG"? What do you mean THAT TYPE? You just said 2 sentences before that he was put down due to improper training skills AKA you were too lazy caring for your numberous kids to take time to raise your dog right. Therefore it is not the "TYPE of DOG", but the "OWNER" of the dog. And typical of you to say your next dog will be a "Lap dog" because they pretty much require no attention in order to be social, because who cares if they dont like ppl that much, it weights 20lbs and people wont be scared of it if its not properly raised. You are ignorant and shouldnt be the owner of any dog.
EXCUSE ME C TOWN YOUR COMMENT OR SHOULD I SAY THE WAY YOU PERCIEVED MY POST IS A WRONG .LET ME START OFF WITH STATING IN MY 12YRS LIVING IN ARBOR HILL I HAVE BEEN KNOW TO HAVE ONE OF THE LARGEST ROTTWEILERS AND PITTBULLS THAT HAVE BEEN ON MY BLOCK BOTH OF WHICH WERE VERY WELL MAINTAINED AND WITH THE GREATEST TEMPERMANT .UNTIL NO ONE FAULT BUT MY OWN I LOST THE ROTTY THE FEMALE PITT HAD TO GO BECAUSE OF MY ILLNESS AND THE ONE I SURRENDER MY SONS PITBULL ATTACKED MY ELDEST DAUGHTER IN FRONT OF HER TO YOUNG CHILDREN SO WHAT WAS I SUPPOSE TO DO KEEP AN UNPREDICTABLE VIOLENT DOG AROUND MY GRANDCHILDREN AND OTHERS PUT THEM IN HARMS WAY ? I THINK THAT WOULD HAVE BOREDER ON NEGLIGENCE DONT YOU THINK ? NO YOU DONT THINK BEFORE YOU POST DO YOU ? THATS WHAT RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERS DO. IF THEY AREBRED WRONG ITS LIKE HAVING A LOADED GUN IN THE HOUSE. DO YOU KEEP ONE OF THOSE AROUND CHILDREN I THINK NOT.
Gamma ma

Ballston Spa, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2008

C-TOWN wrote:
<quoted text>
What?? You make no sence, I though your prior comment said you own a pitbull. So you are for them or not. Anyways the PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING, you said "I myself had to have my sons dog put down because of the way he was train" - therefore you are an IGNORANT, lazy dog owner, just adding to the bad rap of a pitbull, because you didnt want to take the time out of your "many children having" life to raise and train a dog the proper way. Dogs need to be socialized, just like people. Leave a person boxed in a room for years im sure they wont be to friendly to newcomers. You have "too many children for THAT TYPE OF DOG"? What do you mean THAT TYPE? You just said 2 sentences before that he was put down due to improper training skills AKA you were too lazy caring for your numberous kids to take time to raise your dog right. Therefore it is not the "TYPE of DOG", but the "OWNER" of the dog. And typical of you to say your next dog will be a "Lap dog" because they pretty much require no attention in order to be social, because who cares if they dont like ppl that much, it weights 20lbs and people wont be scared of it if its not properly raised. You are ignorant and shouldnt be the owner of any dog.
Another question from a previous dog owner actually two questions. Do you or have you ever owned a pittbull, rotty other large breed dog ? If so how did you train it?
Carol

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2008

Joe wrote:
A quick google of this cop reveals that he just graduated and was put on the force in July of last year. Looks like he needs more training! You can guarantee this wouldn't have happened to a lab or mix breed dog trotting down the road toward him. And anyone else would be in jail for doing this. He needs to be held accountable. Pits are great dogs that get a bad rap.
Yeah, right.....
Yes

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2008

I actually do own one. She is great :) I trained her like any other normal person would. She obeys simple commands, as dogs do. And I was very persistent on keeping her socialized with other dogs and people.
Gamma ma

Mechanicville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2008

Thats my whole point,I am not knocking the breed only the way it is sometimes raised by the wrong hand.I hope that came across right?
Yes

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2008

Gamma ma wrote:
Thats my whole point,I am not knocking the breed only the way it is sometimes raised by the wrong hand.I hope that came across right?
Yes, but dont you agree that any dog can be trained wrong and to be mean ?
Gamma ma

Saratoga Springs, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2008

That is also correct I have been saying this all wrong.... Pitts get a bad rap straight off because they are pitts thats a wrong assumption I have tried to explain this all day,Its the way they are trained that determines the way they will act around others.ANY DOG CAN BE TRAINED TO BE A KILLEER not just Pitt bulls. I have had experiences on both sides of this issue one dog with no agressive tendencies and one that only me and my son could get close to.This dog was never socialized with others when he was younger so therefore he was agressive with others.It was sad I tried to change his behavior but could not.
Gamma ma

Saratoga Springs, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2008

Yes any dog can be TRAINED to be mean even the smallest dog, can aquire an nasty little attitude when taught.
dmac

Wynantskill, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2008

answer me this, why if u have a dog, any dog, do u have a makeshift fence? u would think to get a real fence, and if u had a makeshift fence y wouldn't u be out watching the dog when its out? and if the owners were out and the dog ran off shows that the dog did not listen, the owners are responsible for the dog. they should be fined
Walter

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 29, 2008

It is absolutely disgusting the lack of training and competence of our State Police. Learn how to defend yourself without a weapon.
Gamma ma

Round Lake, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 29, 2008

The dogs name doesnt matter it was the way the dog "came at" the officer.Thats why he did what he did be it lack of training or just plain fear, what would you have done thats the question?Just to put it out there the pittbull that had to be surrendered name was Bulls eye so what does that mean? Because of his markings around his eyes.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Schenectady Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr Get a Job 18,754
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Tue College Professor 6,391
Paul Zonderman took a bribe of $34,000 from Tho... (Nov '12) Tue Paul Zonderman fi... 5
SmartHeart™ Blood Pressure Regimen Natural help Mon Terry 1
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) Aug 9 JEWISH VOICE 438
NY Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in N... (Oct '10) Aug 7 dew4794 673
Health Care - Schenectady, NY (Sep '09) Aug 6 Maj Gen Harold J ... 39

Search the Schenectady Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Schenectady Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Schenectady People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••