Off-duty trooper shoots neighbor's dog

Full story: WNYT Albany 127
A Schenectady couple is pointing fingers at the police after an off-duty state trooper points his gun at their pooch, killing the dog. Full Story
Gamma ma

Schenectady, NY

#46 Feb 27, 2008
Chris wrote:
"Learned a valuable lesson"?
You are a heartless moron, may one day you understand what it is like to have your bestfriend taken from you for the name he carries. Its almost as disgusting as racism, judging anything before you know the true context of the situation. You make me sick.
<quoted text>
Excuse me he did learn a valuable lesson. which is to be more careful of securing his beloved dog if he had this wouldnt have happened. I have learned this lesson also my dog was taken by the dog warden and no doubt put down because of my negligence in not making sure he couldnt get out of the yard. therefore I do not make that comment lightly it comes from experience so therefore keep your insults to yourself. Also one question to you do you even own a dog? If so beware of how you board it and how you train it to interact with others . By the way the dog I am speaking of was a German rottweiler looked like a bear .

Since: Feb 08

New York, NY

#48 Feb 27, 2008
YOUR AN IDIOT wrote:
YAH SO IF THAT WAS YOUR DOG THAT WAS FREINDLY COMEING TO GREAT YOU AND SHOWED NO SIGNS OF AGGRESSION YOU WOULD JUST SHOOT IT? YOUR JUST A DUM ASS! THINK ABOUT WHAT HAPPEND THE DOG DIDNT EVAN DO ANY DAMAGE TO THE OFFICER, AND WAS SHOT AND KILLED. ANY OFFICER WITH ACTUAL TRAINING, WOULD OF JUMPED IN THERE CAR AND CALLED ANIMAL CONTROL IF THERE WAS ANY VISABLE AGGRESSION. BUT THEN AGAIN THERE MOTTO IS SHOOT 1ST ASK QUESTIONS LAST RIGHT? BUT THEN AGAIN, EVAN IF THE OFFICER DIDNT HAVE TIME TO GET IN THE CAR, HE HAD PLENTY OF TIME TO PULL HIS GUN OUT, AIM AND KILL THE DOG. I COULD SEE IF THE DOG ACTUALLY GRABBED THE OFFICER OR WAS OUT ATTACKING SOMEONE, BUT JUST RUNNING TOWARD YOU WITH NO SIGNS OF AGGRESSION....COME ON NOW! I OWN PITBULLS AND MY DOGS WOULD COME UP TO ANYONE AND LICK THEM TO DEATH, BUT THEN AGAIN YOU WOULD SHOOT THEM 1ST TO RIGHT?
Let see here... try to follow the bouncing ball
IM IN A DRUG NEIGHBORHOOD
THE DOG IS LOOSE
THE DOG IS RUNNING AT ME, FAST
THE DOG is a PITBULL....
BANG....in a HEARTBEAT
LEASH YOUR MUTT YOU TERRORIST DOG NAMING FREAK..
and bagging him in a hefty is a real touch of class..what a MORON
pbl

Delmar, NY

#49 Feb 27, 2008
PBL wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking or typing - you're still wrong stupid. And what are you implying when you refer to living in the "hood"??? Are all lower income people dangerous alcoholics??? Wow! Talk about extremist thoughts! It's the simple minded ignorant people, such as yourself, that we should all fear the most.
Your right you should fear me. I'm wrong because I don't agree with you? The cop should have shot the owner after he shot that P.O.S. dog.
hey PBL

Delmar, NY

#50 Feb 27, 2008
you want facts?http://www.dogbitelaw.co m/PAGES/danger.htm#homicides
Scroll down to canine Homicides and read. Pit bull, Pit bull, Pit bull, Yes there are a few other dogs but most are pit bulls. There's your facts.
PBL

Latham, NY

#51 Feb 27, 2008
CellarDwellar wrote:
<quoted text>
HIGH 5 to YOU
Another stupid one. High 5 to a thinking less of people living in lower class neighborhoods... real nice... I guess the stupid ones really do stick together. And on another note: are'nt you the one typed that the dog got what he deserved because he was running around loose with the name Al Qaeda? Do you think the trigger happy officer new the dogs name? Maybe the dog was yelling "I'm Al Qaeda" while loose. I'm amazed as to how many ingorant people are out there.
Maria

White Plains, NY

#52 Feb 27, 2008
I would have shot the dog too. Pretty threatening to have a pit bull running full force at you. Nothing steams me more then when I am walking my dog and people let their dogs roam their property without a leash, I had a rotweiler attack my dog. Pitballs have a bad name and with good reason!
PBL

Latham, NY

#53 Feb 27, 2008
pbl wrote:
<quoted text>Your right you should fear me. I'm wrong because I don't agree with you? The cop should have shot the owner after he shot that P.O.S. dog.
It's "You're", not Your... You're right... I do fear stupid people.
PBL

Latham, NY

#54 Feb 27, 2008
pbl wrote:
<quoted text>Your right you should fear me. I'm wrong because I don't agree with you? The cop should have shot the owner after he shot that P.O.S. dog.
Your're wrong about the statistics. Follow the context of my typing buddy. Pit Bulls are not more likely to attack people. Check your facts.
Karen

Albany, NY

#55 Feb 27, 2008
The paper said there were witnesses, but of course, did not report what they saw. Does anyone know?
PBL

Latham, NY

#56 Feb 27, 2008
hey PBL wrote:
you want facts?http://www.dogbitelaw.co m/PAGES/danger.htm#homicides
Scroll down to canine Homicides and read. Pit bull, Pit bull, Pit bull, Yes there are a few other dogs but most are pit bulls. There's your facts.
You mean the website that uses the following in their disclaimer...

"(1) The accuracy of the information posted on this site depends on the validity and accuracy of the newspaper reports from which information posted on this site has been collected. It is assumed that reports are valid concerning the fact that a dog-related fatality happened. Newspaper reports may be inaccurate and may misrepresent the breed of dog(s) involved in the incident, however."

This is where the problem stems. When there's a dog problem, the dog is immediatly labeled as a pit bull. There are tons of dogs that resemble pits, but don't have any pit blood line in them. That's where the bad name comes in to play, and in turn, convinces the less bright that this breed is dangerous.
Gamma ma

Schenectady, NY

#57 Feb 27, 2008
That is an amazing website very informational, makes you think real hard about owning one of these breeds.EVERYONE who posts this forum should take a look especially owners or former owners of these breeds.Thank you
abc

Delmar, NY

#58 Feb 27, 2008
I'll believe the information on this pdf file over the opinion of poster PBL. It is several pages long so please scroll down to compare the numbers of your beloved pit bulls to the other breeds.
http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%20198...
Gamma ma

Schenectady, NY

#59 Feb 27, 2008
Chris wrote:
"Learned a valuable lesson"?
You are a heartless moron, may one day you understand what it is like to have your bestfriend taken from you for the name he carries. Its almost as disgusting as racism, judging anything before you know the true context of the situation. You make me sick.
<quoted text>
By the way his name was Noreaga wasnt he some kind of evil dictator or something? Also he was 11yrs old unchained in the back yard got loose through a break in the fence was caught on a city street therefore taken and put down by the dog warden. Why you ask his collar was not on therefore no tags again my fault. I share this because when you own a dog yes they do become part of the family you have to be responsible just like you do any other family member.
dmac

Wynantskill, NY

#60 Feb 27, 2008
does the city have a leash law? yes...was the dog on a leash? no...so the dog owner was breaking the law...did u guys see the size of the dog? one person said grab the dog and control him instead of shooting, thats the dumbest idea ive heard yet, this dog was a monster pitbull over 100 lbs, probably capable of ripping a human apart. Another paper states that the officer clearly yelled at the dog to stop before firing,

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...

and be glad that the trooper used a well placed shot so the dog didnt have to suffer, but nonetheless, the trooper was in the right, and i hope the dog owner is fined or wose
chris

Clifton Park, NY

#61 Feb 27, 2008
the dog got out of the make shift fence.It does happen. I have a german shepard, black lab and a pitbull.But being a good pet owner means knowing that having a dog that size is going to get though that little peice of what ever he had there pretty easy. for $25 you could have save all your pain and heartbreak by fixing the fence as soon as you seen the problem. im sorry you lost you dog. but im even more sorry that yet again a pitbull gets a bad name. what a shame
Gamma ma

Mechanicville, NY

#62 Feb 27, 2008
That is true I mean about the Pittbulls getting a bad rap they are such an unpredictable breed.I had one fullbred brindle she was a peach so gentle and I rescued her from a bad home.Guess I was lucky with her hope fully everyone can learn from this .
Joke

New York, NY

#63 Feb 27, 2008
I would have done the same thing trooper!! Good job in protecting yourself. It sounds like a lot of idiots think maybe you should have waited for it to bite the hell out of you first then it would have been ok to shoot it. The idiot owner is the one to blame here. The dog was probably taking a dump in someone elses yard before hand. He'll have another dog in a month. If he needs a fence contractor I know a good one!
Check Yourself

United States

#64 Feb 27, 2008
what wrote:
<quoted text> At least 3 ? You don't know exactly how many dogs you've had ? You sound like an under educated moron. Perhaps you need some basic english language skills classes. Please don't stop posting though, It's like watching those idiots on talk shows like Springer.(guilty pleasure.) I'll bet you live in Mont Pleasant or the HIll don't you.
Education and proper grammer doesnt matter. If it was a Basset Hound the cop would have not shot. And you find yourself so proper, could you not have found a better, more professional word to use than moron!
Well

United States

#65 Feb 27, 2008
CellarDwellar wrote:
<quoted text>
Let see here... try to follow the bouncing ball
IM IN A DRUG NEIGHBORHOOD
THE DOG IS LOOSE
THE DOG IS RUNNING AT ME, FAST
THE DOG is a PITBULL....
BANG....in a HEARTBEAT
LEASH YOUR MUTT YOU TERRORIST DOG NAMING FREAK..
and bagging him in a hefty is a real touch of class..what a MORON
If the dog was a Lab im sure the cop wouldnt have shot. CellarDwellar, great name bty
Well

United States

#66 Feb 27, 2008
Gamma ma wrote:
That is true I mean about the Pittbulls getting a bad rap they are such an unpredictable breed.I had one fullbred brindle she was a peach so gentle and I rescued her from a bad home.Guess I was lucky with her hope fully everyone can learn from this .
Great, you own a pittbull, but you are just as ignorant to the breed as people who hate against them. Where are you getting your information from? Why dont you use your internet connection to Google Pitbulls and read that they are NOT an unpredictable breed. Im sure if you thought they were so "unpredictable" you would have make the great decision to MAKE ONE YOUR PET.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Schenectady Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Chuck 19,377
Body Skin Spa - 1760 State Street - PROSTITUTION!! Oct 15 Kilns 2
Schenectady County Sheriff-Civil Service Exams-... (Aug '12) Oct 2 bgage69 25
Cat, dog, lasers: A senior portrait to remember Oct 1 Fundies R Mentall... 1
Pastor David M Wells New Life Ministries (Mar '11) Sep '14 Daveb1972 148
Debate: Gay Marriage - Schenectady, NY (Jul '10) Sep '14 InChrist 32
Albany County prosecutors suspended over Facebo... Sep '14 Piece of mind 1
Schenectady Dating
Find my Match

Schenectady Jobs