Off-duty trooper shoots neighbor's dog

Full story: WNYT Albany 127
A Schenectady couple is pointing fingers at the police after an off-duty state trooper points his gun at their pooch, killing the dog. Full Story
Kevin

Cayuta, NY

#22 Feb 27, 2008
I think the whole point here is that if the average joe discharged his firearm like that he would have all his guns taken away and thrown in prison. No matter what the circumstance was.
Kevin

Cayuta, NY

#23 Feb 27, 2008
I wonder if I can start using the defense "well I saw a cop do it and get away with it"
Loomis

Newcomb, NY

#26 Feb 27, 2008
I believe over the last few years the public has been educated to the fact that not all Pit Bull dogs are "ugly in nature". However, I also believe that there is an instinct in Pit Bull dogs to be "aggressive". Lots of dogs, at certain points or circumstances in their lives, can become snappy and aggressive toward others; especially when they get older. Mr. Gil stated in his interview, "What is this police officer to do when someone(potential criminal) charges at him, shoot the suspect?" Humans clearly understand words. A charging dog will not halt because someone tells them to. I also feel for the Gill Family over their loss, I know how pets are loved as family members.
Doug

United States

#27 Feb 27, 2008
This just goes to the point that most pit bull owners are morons....

There should be a law which does not allow people under 25 to own a pit bull or if they have ever been arrested for a crime this should exclude them as well.

Besides it takes a special kind of moron to name thier dog "al qaeda"

And what kind of moron has a "Make Shift" fence in the back yard. What is this? Aligning the rusted fridge, stove and dryer which is in the back yard against the house to make a dog pen?
Patrick

Delmar, NY

#28 Feb 27, 2008
I own an american bulldog and she is a saint. Well behaved and loving. Thats because I trained her and treated her right. She was never mistreated. However, if a any breed of dog charged at me and I was carrying a weapon.... I would use it. Who would want to find out what a dogs intentions are by waiting to see if it is going to attack you??? Not this guy. The dogs name was Al Qeida I believe.... Thats a real good sign. Here is the deal... Dogs belong on a leash and should be trained. This goes on the irresponsable owners. Not the trooper. He did what all of us would have done.
Doc

Schenectady, NY

#29 Feb 27, 2008
whats a make shift fence...give me a break. Keep your dogs contained. It's the owners fault
Anon

Yarmouth, ME

#30 Feb 27, 2008
The owners of this dog they named "Al Qaeda" should be charged with a terrorist attack against a police offficer.
Chris

Averill Park, NY

#31 Feb 27, 2008
"Learned a valuable lesson"?
You are a heartless moron, may one day you understand what it is like to have your bestfriend taken from you for the name he carries. Its almost as disgusting as racism, judging anything before you know the true context of the situation. You make me sick.
Gamma ma wrote:
You have made a good point Pitt bulls are dangerous because of the way they are bred.I myself had to have my sons dog put down because of the way he was trained.The dog had little to none social skills when he came in contact with new people. We have too many children here for that type of dog. They can become very agitated very easily when thet are bred wrong. My next dog will be a lap dog, the owner of the dog has learned a valuable lesson.
Marty

Wynantskill, NY

#32 Feb 27, 2008
This is a no brainer. The city has a leash law, the dog was unleashed. Just as simple as a bullet took his life, a car could have done the same.
I'm not a police officer, but am licensed to carry a firearm. If a threatening dog comes at me, and I feel my life is in danger, that dog will be shot. Hopefully not fatal. This same situation took place in Malta a few years ago, and a jogger shot a dog. The dog was unleashed...he did survive the bullet wound. The jogger was never charged with anything and the person who owned the unleashed dog was fined, and had to pay the medical bills for the dog. The message is clear. If you have any dog, and you want him unleashed....do it on your own property and don't allow him access to the street. I'm a dog lover myself, but being a dog owner comes with responsibility. This owner lacked that responsibility. This has nothing to do with the breed of the dog in any way.
Karen

United States

#33 Feb 27, 2008
Tasers are NOT a reliable defense against dogs.
PBL

Latham, NY

#34 Feb 27, 2008
why wrote:
Why is it that we never here about golden retriever attacks? Because Pit bulls are more likely to attack people. You clowns who own them can say what ever you like but the facts remain these dogs are dangerous. Every time I see something like this it makes me wonder, with all the beautiful dogs in the world, why the hell would anyone in their right mind want to own one of these ugly, mean a$$ dogs?
And all Muslims are terrorists, right??? Check your facts before speaking moron.
Jeff

Flint, TX

#35 Feb 27, 2008
Trigger happy cop . Does the name "animal control" ring a bell ?
Clean up Schenectady

Ballston Lake, NY

#36 Feb 27, 2008
Has anyone realized that through the years of "Schenectady's revitalization" crime as a whole has increased, its a statistical fact, since 2002 to 2006 total index crimes have increased by a thousand, robbery has almost doubled from 174 to 309, and those are just the reported crimes. Fifteen years ago crime was centralized and somewhat contained, today it is spreading like a incurable disease. No longer do we have tax paying law abiding citizens, instead we have tax collecting system sucking criminals from NYC who come to Schenectady because it is like taking candy from a baby to collect section eight. Who wouldn't want to live for free and make more selling drugs in a week than an average working person makes in a month. Maybe its time for the public to realize that crime hasn't gone anywhere, in fact it has increased despite what our current leaders may lead you to believe. When is it going to be time for someone to back the "good old boys" and let them do police work and truly clean up the city of Schenectady. When is it going to be time that we trusted the work of the police department, instead of going to the county jail to pro actively seek complaints against the officers who put their lives on the line daily without even a simple thank you. Instead it is easier to side with the criminals who might make a call to the media, so they can hop on the complaint train and maybe their criminal case may get thrown out, if they do a good enough job of lying that is. Make SPD professional I agree. What the public doesn't realize is that there are plenty of young, ethical and smart officers willing to be proactive, willing to clean up the neighborhoods, but won't because they haven't had nor do they have leaders who stand behind there men. Hopefully someone with a spine will realize if Schenectady is to truly be revitalized, the scum need to disappear. That starts by finding new leaders for the police department who stand behind there men through thick and thin!
Clean up Schenectady

Ballston Lake, NY

#37 Feb 27, 2008
And why does the media give these uneducated, low life's with no credibility the time of day? What about the officer and all the officers he represents, its easier to hang them out and dry i guess. I think its about time society has a wake up call.

Since: Feb 08

New York, NY

#38 Feb 27, 2008
Al Qaeda attacked and got killed...whats the problem?
Who let Al Qaeda loose?
HAve you ever been bitten by a dog?, I have and I know what its like.... this dog could have sliced an artery if it ever locked jaws on his thigh.
GOOD SHOT OFFICER..
This wasnt FIDO kids... it was Al Qaeda, what a MORON to name your dog after a terrorist then turn it loose in a DRUG neighborhood.. ya got what ya deserved
Ann

Albany, NY

#39 Feb 27, 2008
I live in Mont Pleasant. There are a lot of dogs, a lot of pit bulls and I have seen first hand, dog owners who let their dogs out not on a leash.
I guess this was accidental that the dog got out, but he was in a "make shift" area or whatever. A large dog like that needs to be under control. If I saw a dog charging at me, I would do whatever I had to do to defend myself. It is the responsibilty of every dog owner to have your dog under control. By the way, I am a dog owner too. My dog is on a leash when he is out.
Carol

Albany, NY

#40 Feb 27, 2008
Kevin wrote:
Once again a cop does something and will get away with that the average person will be thrown in jail for. Just let any of you pull our your pistol in public and discharge rounds. Cops are evil and NEVER obey the laws they enforce.
The dog got loose and charged the guy.
What else do YOU suggest he should have done? Stood there waiting to be mauled?
Dobie Lover

Richmond, VA

#41 Feb 27, 2008
As the owner of a breed that gets a bad rap... I think the cop acted the best he could in that situation. I myself would have shot the dog if it were charging me too.

Didn't anyone here notice that the article clearly states:

"he escaped from a make-shift fence"

The owner is clearly to blame for his lack of proper care of this poor animal. Some people don't deserve the priviledge of owning a dog.
Carol

Albany, NY

#42 Feb 27, 2008
PETA Rep wrote:
I am outraged by this act of animal dissatisfaction. Just because a dog who happens to be running at you is shot. What happened to your taser? I thought that cops were supposed to be fleet of foot and agile? The picture on the news shows that the cop could use a few less doughnuts and a few more diet cokes. What ever happened to hand to paw combat? What should have happened here: 1. Why didn't you shoot the dog owner? 2. Why didn't you write a ticket to the elementary school principal of the dog owner for his lack of education? 3. Why weren't you quick enough to realize that the dog was just trying to eat the doughnut wrapped around your waist.
You make no sense and sound like an idiot. Grow up.
YOUR AN IDIOT

Albany, NY

#44 Feb 27, 2008
YAH SO IF THAT WAS YOUR DOG THAT WAS FREINDLY COMEING TO GREAT YOU AND SHOWED NO SIGNS OF AGGRESSION YOU WOULD JUST SHOOT IT? YOUR JUST A DUM ASS! THINK ABOUT WHAT HAPPEND THE DOG DIDNT EVAN DO ANY DAMAGE TO THE OFFICER, AND WAS SHOT AND KILLED. ANY OFFICER WITH ACTUAL TRAINING, WOULD OF JUMPED IN THERE CAR AND CALLED ANIMAL CONTROL IF THERE WAS ANY VISABLE AGGRESSION. BUT THEN AGAIN THERE MOTTO IS SHOOT 1ST ASK QUESTIONS LAST RIGHT? BUT THEN AGAIN, EVAN IF THE OFFICER DIDNT HAVE TIME TO GET IN THE CAR, HE HAD PLENTY OF TIME TO PULL HIS GUN OUT, AIM AND KILL THE DOG. I COULD SEE IF THE DOG ACTUALLY GRABBED THE OFFICER OR WAS OUT ATTACKING SOMEONE, BUT JUST RUNNING TOWARD YOU WITH NO SIGNS OF AGGRESSION....COME ON NOW! I OWN PITBULLS AND MY DOGS WOULD COME UP TO ANYONE AND LICK THEM TO DEATH, BUT THEN AGAIN YOU WOULD SHOOT THEM 1ST TO RIGHT?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Schenectady Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) 5 hr truth 759
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr WARRIOR 19,223
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Fri liberalP 6,443
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Fri Robert Burns 16,790
NY Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in N... (Oct '10) Fri positronium 675
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) Fri positronium 6,389
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) Fri No one 440
•••
•••
•••

Schenectady Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Schenectady People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Schenectady News, Events & Info