Off-duty trooper shoots neighbor's dog

Full story: WNYT Albany

A Schenectady couple is pointing fingers at the police after an off-duty state trooper points his gun at their pooch, killing the dog.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of127
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Kevin

Troy, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Judged:

Once again a cop does something and will get away with that the average person will be thrown in jail for. Just let any of you pull our your pistol in public and discharge rounds. Cops are evil and NEVER obey the laws they enforce.
Joe

Hudson, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

A quick google of this cop reveals that he just graduated and was put on the force in July of last year. Looks like he needs more training! You can guarantee this wouldn't have happened to a lab or mix breed dog trotting down the road toward him. And anyone else would be in jail for doing this. He needs to be held accountable. Pits are great dogs that get a bad rap.
Arielle

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Judged:

My boyfriend and I are proud owners of 3 Pitbulls, I have 2 males and a female. All of my dogs are Loving and caring animals. Pitbulls are one of the most understood dogs! They are powerful animals and brought up in the wrong environment they can be dangerous but so could a Lab or a golden retriever a German Sheppard, a dalmatian or any breed of dog. Pitbulls have a bad reputation because Bad people have made some into bad dogs, Like Vick! Pitbulls are dogs that aim to please their master. Let me tell you my Pitbull is the biggest baby and he's scared of his own shadow! His favorite thing to do is to sit with his mom on the couch or play ball. He loves meeting new people and new dog friends and if my dog was out in the yard he probably would run up to person to slobber them in kisses and try to get the person to play ball with him! My deepest sympathies to the owners. My Dogs are like my kids and with out them I wouldn't know what to do with my self, they are such a big part of my life! People need to realize that Pitbulls aren't monsters that humans are! PUNISH THE DEED NOT THE BREED!
Gamma ma

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

This officer saw one thing a pitt bull and panicked.Pitt bulls have gotten a bad rep for the way they have been breeded by people who know nothing about training any dog properly. I dont believe his neighbors are those types that I am speaking . Myself I have had at least 3 beautiful pitts and a wonderful rotty so maybe I am a little judgemental I just think he was a little to quick to the draw.
dmac

Wynantskill, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

y was the dog out in the first place? thats against the law, the owners should be held responsible, if that dog got a hold of a little kid it would have killed them, the officer was in the right to defend himself
Mel

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Or maybe the policeman actually thought he was being attacked by a dog. Dogs have been known to attack unprovoked. I'm very sorry to this couple who have lost their dog, it was a tragedy. I love my dog very much and would be greatly upset if he died. It was a sad mistake, but it was a mistake. Please don't be so quick to call the policeman a murderer.
letter carrier

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

As a letter carrier I have first hand experience with dog attacks. Let me tell you it's no picnic. Any dog can be dangerous when let loose. The owner was irresponsible. Please if you have a dog, ANY dog, keep it secured. I'll bet you'd all be singing a different tune if this dog killed a child or an elderly person. What the hell is a makeshift fence? This "dog owner"should bee fined. He is the reason pitt bulls have a bad name. And speaking of bad names..Al Qaeda? This guy sounds like a real piece of work.
unclecj

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Nice shooting, Officer!
.... I hate reading articles about Pit Bulls being wounded and having to suffer through long and costly rehab treatment that increase MY tax burden in many cases.
Karen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

I would have done the same, given that pit bulls often provide no typical warning signs of attack, why would anyone wait to see if the dog was a threat. By the time you realize it is a threat, it is too late. Shoot first.

What responsible pit bull owner 1) takes their dog to off leash parks 2) provides a "make shift" fence for containment 3) names their beloved family member after a terrorist group?
Clearly, these two idiots have no business owning pit bulls.
dirtbags

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Judged:

If this guy cared so much for his dog why the hell did he let it get loose? There are so many dirtbags like this in Mont Pleasant it's a real shame. The neighborhood has really been going down hill the last couple of years. It used to be a nice area filled with nice Italian and Polish families. Now it's mostly scumbags renting from absentee landlords, selling and doing drugs, playing loud music all night long, and letting their pitbulls, and rottwielers run loose and terrorize the neighborhood. It's as bad as Hamilton Hill
dmac

Wynantskill, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

glad to see others finally agree that the owner was in the wrong...

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...

this aticle clearly states that the officer warned the dog by tellin it to step before shooting
what

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Gamma ma wrote:
This officer saw one thing a pitt bull and panicked.Pitt bulls have gotten a bad rep for the way they have been breeded by people who know nothing about training any dog properly. I dont believe his neighbors are those types that I am speaking . Myself I have had at least 3 beautiful pitts and a wonderful rotty so maybe I am a little judgemental I just think he was a little to quick to the draw.
At least 3 ? You don't know exactly how many dogs you've had ? You sound like an under educated moron. Perhaps you need some basic english language skills classes. Please don't stop posting though, It's like watching those idiots on talk shows like Springer.(guilty pleasure.) I'll bet you live in Mont Pleasant or the HIll don't you.
Gamma ma

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

I stand corrected the dogs owner is definitely at fault for not having the dog secure you are right pitt bulls need to be watched and handled by their owners not left to roam aimlessly through the neighborhood god forbid should a child been out there when he was loose. My apologies for not making my first post correct to the facts.
why

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Why is it that we never here about golden retriever attacks? Because Pit bulls are more likely to attack people. You clowns who own them can say what ever you like but the facts remain these dogs are dangerous. Every time I see something like this it makes me wonder, with all the beautiful dogs in the world, why the hell would anyone in their right mind want to own one of these ugly, mean a$$ dogs?
Gamma ma

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

what wrote:
<quoted text> At least 3 ? You don't know exactly how many dogs you've had ? You sound like an under educated moron. Perhaps you need some basic english language skills classes. Please don't stop posting though, It's like watching those idiots on talk shows like Springer.(guilty pleasure.) I'll bet you live in Mont Pleasant or the HIll don't you.
I wasnt posting to satisfy your need for amusement.I stated at least 3 because the third one wasnt mine he belonged to my son. Does that some what clear it up for you and I already posted another text to this thread apologizing for my ignorance of the situation. please refrain from the name calling stick to the topic.Do you actually have a comment pertaining to the text?
Kim

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

"I didn't even sleep last night. I haven't eaten. Me and that dog go a long way," Gil said.

I think he is gearing up for a lawsuit.

And if I was on the jury, I would NOT be sympathetic. If you truly care about your, then take proper care of your dog.
Gamma ma

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

You have made a good point Pitt bulls are dangerous because of the way they are bred.I myself had to have my sons dog put down because of the way he was trained.The dog had little to none social skills when he came in contact with new people. We have too many children here for that type of dog. They can become very agitated very easily when thet are bred wrong. My next dog will be a lap dog, the owner of the dog has learned a valuable lesson.
Dog Killer

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

This is ridiculous..... Another cop who thinks hes above the law. Why couldnt this idiot cop just grab the dog and contain it instead of shooting a defensless animal. I would hate to be stopped by this moron on a traffic stop only god knows what could happen. he needs to serve time for this just like anyone else should.
PETA Rep

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

I am outraged by this act of animal dissatisfaction. Just because a dog who happens to be running at you is shot. What happened to your taser? I thought that cops were supposed to be fleet of foot and agile? The picture on the news shows that the cop could use a few less doughnuts and a few more diet cokes. What ever happened to hand to paw combat? What should have happened here: 1. Why didn't you shoot the dog owner? 2. Why didn't you write a ticket to the elementary school principal of the dog owner for his lack of education? 3. Why weren't you quick enough to realize that the dog was just trying to eat the doughnut wrapped around your waist.
Wayne

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Judged:

Good shooting rookie!!! you deserve a medal of valor bravo bravo

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of127
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Schenectady Discussions

Search the Schenectady Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr anonymous 17,911
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 5 hr Get real 6,195
Schenectadys potholes could be due to ancient v... 14 hr Hot_coko 1
Paul Zonderman took a bribe of $34,000 from Tho... (Nov '12) 16 hr Paul Zonderman is a crim 3
Septic Tue Rotterdam homeowner 2
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) Apr 20 positronium 6,290
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Apr 18 YUP 16,736
•••

Fire Warning for Schenectady County was issued at April 24 at 4:41AM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Schenectady Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Schenectady People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE