Your Take: Teen suicides in Schenecta...

Your Take: Teen suicides in Schenectady school district

There are 25 comments on the CBS 6 Albany story from Mar 7, 2009, titled Your Take: Teen suicides in Schenectady school district. In it, CBS 6 Albany reports that:

The Schenectady City School District says it wants to get the community talking about teen issues after three suicides at the high school this past year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS 6 Albany.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Larry DePaulo

Albany, NY

#1 Apr 7, 2009
It seems to me that much more is not being said by the administrators and the school board. What other incidents have occurred at the high school? Recently, about 4-6 weeks ago, a group of teens coordinated attempted suicides in which they took pills and other items. They were taken to various hospitals in the area. No school official has said anything about this.

The culture at the high school is one of violence-numerous fights, kids being thrown through windows, and kids being taken to hopsitals almost daily. The records bear this out; the horribly corrupt Schenectady Police Department will not make public this data because it shows that the City of Schenectady is out of control on many levels.

In fact, the idiot mayor, Brian Stratton, son of the great Congressman Sam Stratton, is worrying about adding to his $30,000 plus raise with a $3,000 proposed raise for himself and using 3.5 million federal stimulus dollars to fix a skylight in Schenectady's City Hall, rather than correcting the drainage problems on Guilderland Avenue in Bellvue nearest Cleveland and Harrison Streets. This is a broken city and those in power need to go because they are self-serving and do not see the big picture.
Ben Leichtling

Colorado Springs, CO

#2 May 28, 2009
Of course, the superintendent is right that it’s a huge problem and not entirely the school’s fault. But he’s alienated the community whose support he needs to do his part to solve the part of the problem at school.

That superintendent is positioned perfectly to make a significant difference. And he’s blowing the opportunity that is legitimately his; he has responsibility, leadership and authority. He should jump in with both feet to do his share of the solution.

Disclosure: I’m the author of the books and CDs “How to Stop Bullies in Their Tracks” and “Parenting Bully-Proof Kids.” I’m available for coaching, consulting and speaking. To find practical, real-world tactics to stop bullies and bullying at home, school, work and in relationships, see my web site and blog at BulliesBeGone.
HumanSpirit

Fort White, FL

#3 May 29, 2009
The use of prescribed psychotropic (mind) drugs has a history of harmful drug reaction with violence, murder and suicides.

http://ssristories.com/index.php

----------

32 lives killed at Virgina Tech while government lies to the public.

The investigation panel had sought Cho's medical records for several weeks, but due to privacy laws, Virginia Tech was prohibited from releasing them without permission from Cho's family, even after his death.[99] The panel had considered using subpoenas to obtain his records. On June 12, 2007, Cho's family released his medical records to the panel, although the panel said that the records were not enough.[100][101] The panel obtained additional information by court order.[102] Like the perpetrators of both the Columbine and Jokela school massacres, Cho was prescribed the antidepressant drug Prozac prior to his rampage, a substance suspected by Peter Breggin and David Healy of leading to suicidal behaviors.[103] The toxicology test from the official autopsy later showed that neither psychiatric nor any kind of illegal drugs were in his system during the time of the shooting.[104]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seung-Hui_Cho

Schoolboy found hanged in his bedroom after Ritalin prescription was increased

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/article...

----------

Reports of Gunman’s Use of Antidepressant Renew Debate Over Side Effects

Steven P. Kazmierczak stopped taking Prozac before he shot to death five Northern Illinois University students and himself, his girlfriend said Sunday in a remark likely to fuel the debate over the risks and benefits of drug treatment for emotional problems.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/19/us/19depres...

----------

A Time Line of Recent Worldwide School Shootings

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777958.html

Pshhhh

Schenectady, NY

#4 May 30, 2009
The problem with Schenectady High is simple. Schenectady is a low-income, run-down, crime-ridden terrible place that NO ONE should raise a family in - ever. The majority of the people in Schenectady are just scumbags, plain and simple. The scum of the earth pretty much just migrates there for obvious reasons (cheap housing, drugs everywhere, cops that don't care). So it's a small city with a lot of baaaad people crammed in there together. And scumbags breed - unfortunately - and make more miniature to-be scumbags. And those children go to school together every day in an even MORE condensed environment, and it's chaos. Sad to say, but I really don't think there's much the school can do. It's beyond anyone's control. The high suicide rates are because these children are troubled, and they are dangerous. On top of their more-than-likely harsh roots and terrible home lives and probably traumatizing childhoods - the high school age is the hardest age in most people's lives psychologically.
So, violent, psychologically disturbed, angry, immature little to-be scumbags all confined to a small area every day with OTHER to-be scumbags with those same issues = chaos. UNCONTROLLABLE chaos. Everyone wants to point a finger. It's the cops, it's the school board, it's the mayor. There are so many people who have a small bit of play in this game and have for years - and now they've all created a monster and this has become an unstoppable force. The kids are fighting, stealing, bringing guns and knives to school, there's little mini GANGS, threatening death upon each other, saying terrible things to each other...
And then going home to even more SHIT.

It's terrible. And really sad.

And makes me wish there was an application process to have a child.
canadian

Branson, MO

#5 May 30, 2009
let em off there selves as much as they want, population control
Jay G

United States

#6 Jul 8, 2009
Pshhhh wrote:
The problem with Schenectady High is simple. Schenectady is a low-income, run-down, crime-ridden terrible place that NO ONE should raise a family in - ever. The majority of the people in Schenectady are just scumbags, plain and simple. The scum of the earth pretty much just migrates there for obvious reasons (cheap housing, drugs everywhere, cops that don't care). So it's a small city with a lot of baaaad people crammed in there together. And scumbags breed - unfortunately - and make more miniature to-be scumbags. And those children go to school together every day in an even MORE condensed environment, and it's chaos. Sad to say, but I really don't think there's much the school can do. It's beyond anyone's control. The high suicide rates are because these children are troubled, and they are dangerous. On top of their more-than-likely harsh roots and terrible home lives and probably traumatizing childhoods - the high school age is the hardest age in most people's lives psychologically.
So, violent, psychologically disturbed, angry, immature little to-be scumbags all confined to a small area every day with OTHER to-be scumbags with those same issues = chaos. UNCONTROLLABLE chaos. Everyone wants to point a finger. It's the cops, it's the school board, it's the mayor. There are so many people who have a small bit of play in this game and have for years - and now they've all created a monster and this has become an unstoppable force. The kids are fighting, stealing, bringing guns and knives to school, there's little mini GANGS, threatening death upon each other, saying terrible things to each other...
You're right about that. I'm from schenectady, well rotterdam, and it's a horrible fucking place. One of my friends actually just got jumped last night for protecting his fiance from a bunch of blacks that were trying to rob her. Real nice huh ? I'm sick of this place.
Keasha Lewis

Schenectady, NY

#8 Jul 9, 2009
Actually I go to schenectady Highh! And Your all wrong cause none of you know wtf your talking about,theres bad people everywhere in the world not just Schenectady! And we actually have some of the most smartest kids in our school! Bectha didnt know that huh? You all sound stupid & ignorant to say such things about people you dont even know! And i was born and raised here in Schenectady! And i dont know anyhting But Schenectady! So before you all go and say rude things like "People always get jumped" Or "Its diry & poor!" whose fault is that?...not the people who live here in schenectady we have no controll over how much money our County has! All your comments just really hit a nerve and i think that no one not one person can talk shit about schenectady or about the girls who killed themselves in our school! so next time you wanna leave a rude nasty comment cause theres something on your mind but you dont know a damn thing about where we live. Think twice cause no ones perfect.
Keasha Lewis

Schenectady, NY

#9 Jul 9, 2009
Pshhhh wrote:
you dont even know what your talking about...you honestly have no clue at all! dont even write anyhting else on here please cause you sound stupid. Stop yourself before you dig a deeper hole and make a fool of yourself some more. Please.
Pshhhh

Schenectady, NY

#10 Jul 9, 2009
Keasha Lewis wrote:
<quoted text>
you dont even know what your talking about...you honestly have no clue at all! dont even write anyhting else on here please cause you sound stupid. Stop yourself before you dig a deeper hole and make a fool of yourself some more. Please.
I do know what I'm talking about, actually. I live in Schenectady currently. Over my lifetime I've lived there for around 5 years all together. I've lived all around the capital region and in a few different states. So I do have an unbiased, educated perspective. You, however, do not. You said yourself you've lived in Schenectady your whole life and it's all you know.
You're right, there are definitely bad people everywhere. And there are far worse cities in the U.S. than Schenectady. But the suicide rates and the homicide and the ugliness of this city is terrible. It really is. It's undeniable.
Brent

Canada

#12 Aug 3, 2009
Schenectady is the most horrid small Amreican city I've ever been to. My daughters and I had been out of our car for literally 30 seconds when we were approached be several very aggressive panhandlers... the streets were mostly deserted at 4:30 on a sunny Saturday afternoon, except for drunks and beggars... I went to a convenience store at 7 a.m. the next morning and was harassed by a sodden red-faced drunk stocking up on more beer.

We were there for a play at the Proctor. Lovely theatre. The rest of the city was awful. We left as soon as we could, and will never ever go back.
The Mayor

Schenectady, NY

#13 Aug 3, 2009
The Naghurs are destroying Schenectady What can we do? You got to let the nighurs be nighurs or else they call you racist
bill

Pittsford, NY

#14 Aug 6, 2009
schenectady is soo bad because of all the nighers there. they always want to blame everyone but themselves. they are all the same. all the problems come from black people. why would the mayor or the cops want to do anything when alls the nighers do is mess it up again. you guys do it to yourself and untill you realize that its going to get worse. if you parents cared more you wouldent let your kids run wild. BE A FRIGGIN PARENT, your not supposed to have kids to get welfare dumbasses. if you cant handle them DONT HAVE THEM.
bill

Pittsford, NY

#15 Aug 6, 2009
alls black people want to do is live off the system
Bugeyed Jones

Schenectady, NY

#16 Aug 6, 2009
Ma Ma, dont let your children grow up to be NiGHhhhhuUUuurs!
Parents lets theyr children listen to all that evil RAP moohsick and then they kids grows up to be Nighurs! Then the whole nayborhood is destroyd by these mentally ill nighurs
sad for this town

Lewiston, ME

#17 Aug 9, 2009
your disgusting, you probably are some racist who thinks the world revoles around you but if by the grace of god you have children you would know what it feels like to worry and not just about yourself your child may be the next one these are still children and we as adults are all responsible for them watch what you say about gods gifts!
sad for this town

Lewiston, ME

#18 Aug 9, 2009
this must be your way of spreading your hate well you will end up where the rest of your racist kind does on the bad end of the stick first of all iam black never been on public assistance and to let you know how strong of a black women iam yes my mother raised all 7 of her kids on the system and all 7 of us work graduated with grace from college drive and or about to own holmes so please as a matter of fact here in schenectady the majority of public assistance recipiants are caucasion.ill pray that youll grow a soul and become human because obviously your a monster
sad for this town

Lewiston, ME

#19 Aug 9, 2009
bill wrote:
schenectady is soo bad because of all the nighers there. they always want to blame everyone but themselves. they are all the same. all the problems come from black people. why would the mayor or the cops want to do anything when alls the nighers do is mess it up again. you guys do it to yourself and untill you realize that its going to get worse. if you parents cared more you wouldent let your kids run wild. BE A FRIGGIN PARENT, your not supposed to have kids to get welfare dumbasses. if you cant handle them DONT HAVE THEM.
whats crazy about your comment is the fact that 97% of pyscotic serial killers are white 90% of suisides are commited by white folkes we blacks didnt raise those children thats on you all so who raises the nighas? meaning ,ignorant, pyscotic mentally ill persons who leach of the government?
shhhhhhh

Schenectady, NY

#21 Oct 8, 2009
Reply »
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#15 Aug 6, 2009
Judged:
alls black people want to do is live off the system

no that is not all blacks do...u must be white...damn i wish ya could be on our side of the table.Alot of black people make it and some don't.just like not all whites make it
tlk

Albany, NY

#22 Dec 13, 2009
the thingss people think about schenectady is just harsh . the commentss people are leaving arent making thingss bettr . like if you feel so negative about this community & whats going on . get up & help . its just sad . yes these thingss happen everywhr . bt its our responsiblitity to make thing bettr & better oursleves . & leaving such harsh comments isnt making you adult or a better person . cause i am black & i attend schenectady high also .
FORMER SCHOOL EMPLOYEE

South Glens Falls, NY

#23 Jun 22, 2010
There are bad people everywhere!! All colors!
Problem is, the role models (as in rule makers,
not teachers) are making it worse.
They care mostly about the $$,
not the staff or students.
PLEASE STUDENTS AND PARENTS - DEMAND BETTER!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Schenectady Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 24 min Carl 20,277
News Her fiance gave her heroin. She overdosed. Does... May 20 Three Days 9R 19
Lonley women looking to chat with lonely man May 19 Lala 4
Pastor David M Wells New Life Ministries (Mar '11) May 9 Zeke the Pinhead 180
News Cruz builds support among GOP Jews as Trump ski... Apr 25 Zeke the Pinhead 16
News Rexford Bridge project starts Monday Apr '16 Mayor P 1
Cruz & Kasich Plan Huge Cuts to S.S. & Medicare Apr '16 Vote For Trump 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Schenectady Mortgages