Tragedy in Greenfield

Tragedy in Greenfield

There are 20 comments on the www.saratogian.com story from Jun 6, 2008, titled Tragedy in Greenfield. In it, www.saratogian.com reports that:

Two are dead following a collision on Route 9N Wednesday night. One of the victims was a junior at Saratoga Springs High School; the other, an alumnus of the school.

State police reported Thursday that a pickup truck driven by Michael Arpey, 44, of Porter Corners, was traveling northbound on Route 9N, just south of Middle Grove Road, when it crossed the centerline into the southbound lane and collided with an oncoming car.

The second vehicle was operated by Edward Loomis, 17, of Saratoga Springs. Arpey was not wearing a seatbelt; Loomis was. Both drivers were ejected from their vehicles. There were no passengers in either vehicle.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.saratogian.com.

jhpc

Gansevoort, NY

#1 Jun 8, 2008
it's very upsetting how some people are putting michael arpey on a pedastal, with everyone talking about him being on a sports team when he went to toga & what a great guy he was, frankly it makes my husband & i sick to our stomachs! we just lost a great kid & friend to everyone in the community! i am a mother of a 17 year old son who knew eddie, i never met him but my son says he's a great kid!! from one parent to another,god bless you & your family
sln

Schenectady, NY

#2 Jun 9, 2008
I wouldn't say that anyone is being put on a pedastal. Wanting to remember the good things that happened to someone you lost is a normal emotional response, as is your anger. Being a parent yourself you know that it is important to focus on the good in a tradgey to get through the heartache. Imagine how hard it would be to never see your child walk, talk,.....live. Good people make mistakes. That's what life's about . So, be mad if you want. It won't get you anywere. We all want to remember the good in people and if that makes you sick, then you make me want to vomit , eat it and puke it up again. So, God Bless all who lost in this tradgedy not just the people who you want to like!!!!!!
Zack Lynch

Woodside, NY

#3 Jun 9, 2008
jhpc wrote:
it's very upsetting how some people are putting michael arpey on a pedastal, with everyone talking about him being on a sports team when he went to toga & what a great guy he was, frankly it makes my husband & i sick to our stomachs! we just lost a great kid & friend to everyone in the community! i am a mother of a 17 year old son who knew eddie, i never met him but my son says he's a great kid!! from one parent to another,god bless you & your family
Focus on your loss...and let other people deal with theirs. Who the hell do you think you are judging how his family felt about him? We are upset about the loss of Eddie and Mike.
not heartless

Astoria, NY

#4 Jun 9, 2008
jhpc wrote:
you need to shut up !!!!!!
not heartless

Astoria, NY

#5 Jun 9, 2008
jhpc wrote:
you are heartless !!!!!!!! but i am sure you already know that!!!!!!
klm

West Springfield, MA

#6 Jun 10, 2008
"it's very upsetting how some people are putting michael arpey on a pedastal, with everyone talking about him being on a sports team when he went to toga & what a great guy he was, frankly it makes my husband & i sick to our stomachs! we just lost a great kid & friend to everyone in the community! i am a mother of a 17 year old son who knew eddie, i never met him but my son says he's a great kid!! from one parent to another,god bless you & your family"
yes and people who knew and were friends of mike lost a great guy too. Mike arpey was a great guy yes its a tradegy for both families. but everybody is hurting and to say those terrible things about mike and how people shouldn;t be mourning his death, and that "who cares about him "is terrible
He was such a kind guy and those who knew him would agree, so really why would you say all this stuff when i doubt you even know him.
god bless his beautiful wife melissa and baby boy myles.
ema

Woodside, NY

#7 Jun 12, 2008
jhpc wrote:
ok wow why would you say something like that Mike was a wonerful person and my cousin and if u new you wouldnt be talking about him like that and yea people make mistakes and unfornettly it ended up being a tragety but that dosent mean nobody should care about him
i feel bad about eddie and i am sorry about but mike was a great person to ans yea he did make a mistake
deana

Wilson, NC

#8 Jun 17, 2008
We lost two people. the pain is endless for both.
Brenda Loomis

Long Island City, NY

#9 Jun 17, 2008
If he was such a "great" guy then he would of thought twice about drinking all day on a wednesday, fighting with his wife, having a new born son at home, and getting in the car. A great guy would of been home with his wife and son drinkning at home if thats what he must do. He has a past history and everyone that knows his also knows that. so no there is no putting anything nice when a 44 year old "MAN" is out driving drunk going 85 and hits and murders a 17 year old innocent KID that didnt even get to live his life. You think about it lets say Mike son was 17 and this happened to him, what would you have to say about that person that hit and took his young life from him...yeah your attitude would totally change. Mike lived his life Eddie never got the chance!
klm wrote:
"it's very upsetting how some people are putting michael arpey on a pedastal, with everyone talking about him being on a sports team when he went to toga & what a great guy he was, frankly it makes my husband & i sick to our stomachs! we just lost a great kid & friend to everyone in the community! i am a mother of a 17 year old son who knew eddie, i never met him but my son says he's a great kid!! from one parent to another,god bless you & your family"
yes and people who knew and were friends of mike lost a great guy too. Mike arpey was a great guy yes its a tradegy for both families. but everybody is hurting and to say those terrible things about mike and how people shouldn;t be mourning his death, and that "who cares about him "is terrible
He was such a kind guy and those who knew him would agree, so really why would you say all this stuff when i doubt you even know him.
god bless his beautiful wife melissa and baby boy myles.
Brenda Loomis

Long Island City, NY

#10 Jun 17, 2008
If he was such a "great" guy then he would of thought twice about drinking all day on a wednesday, fighting with his wife, having a new born son at home, and getting in the car. A great guy would of been home with his wife and son drinkning at home if thats what he must do. He has a past history and everyone that knows his also knows that. so no there is no putting anything nice when a 44 year old "MAN" is out driving drunk going 85 and hits and murders a 17 year old innocent KID that didnt even get to live his life. You think about it lets say Mike son was 17 and this happened to him, what would you have to say about that person that hit and took his young life from him...yeah your attitude would totally change. Mike lived his life Eddie never got the chance!
ema wrote:
<quoted text>ok wow why would you say something like that Mike was a wonerful person and my cousin and if u new you wouldnt be talking about him like that and yea people make mistakes and unfornettly it ended up being a tragety but that dosent mean nobody should care about him
i feel bad about eddie and i am sorry about but mike was a great person to ans yea he did make a mistake
looky_lu

Amsterdam, NY

#11 Jun 18, 2008
Some one help me out here...i think I know both of these people. I missed the news...Mike and Eddie are both gone? I'm numb...
tck

Astoria, NY

#12 Jun 22, 2008
brenda what is with this?.... you are on all the "open forum" blogs trying to convince people that mike was a really bad guy and your brother did nothing. what is with the slander? why all the focus on mike being out drinking on a wednesday? but you don't want to draw attention to the blue card!don't want to ruin that white picket fence idea so we will just keep dumping on mike, gotta tell ya that wednesday,baby at home,wife thing sounds stupid! would it have been better if it were a different day of the week ? you really do sound like you are runng for office and trying to get votes and when you came into the flower shop to purchace flowers and had to announce who you were really confirmed that! who does that ? when nobody even ask's you who you are ! when i stand at the check out i don't feel the need to announce who i am so that everyone nows me!
brenda loomis

Long Island City, NY

#13 Jun 23, 2008
listen you idiot...i DONT NEED no votes for nothing. mind your own business. this has nothing to do with you. you people want to keep talking about his "blue card" and you have no f^*(ing idea what you are talking about. If you people were not putting your two sense in about the victim here then nothing would of ever been said. This is a tragic event and you people are talking about it like Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie got into another fight. GET A LIFE. I have not even been to the flower shop to purchase flowers, so again before you start running your mouth about something get ALL your facts straight, and if there was a prob. you should of confronted me there. And if you really feel the need to put your two sense in then put your name and stop being a coward that only wants to talk BS over the computer. Like my family has already said a number of times this is horrible for both families and are very sorry for the widow and baby boy. So, get a life, this is a horrible time not a F*^&ing debate or up for disscussion!!
Bob K

United States

#14 Jun 23, 2008
Hey, since i was with Mike all day wednesday WORKING, I don't know where tis stuff comes from. Wait til the toxicology report gets posted. It might be just what it was, an accident! The fact that he stopped for "a couple beers" and was getting along fine with his wife will soon be irrelevant. I was there. Everyone else, stop speculating. All accicents are terrible for everone involved and yes Mrs. Loomis, my heart goes out to you and your family as well.
tck

Astoria, NY

#15 Jun 23, 2008
brenda loomis wrote:
listen you idiot...i DONT NEED no votes for nothing. mind your own business. this has nothing to do with you. you people want to keep talking about his "blue card" and you have no f^*(ing idea what you are talking about. If you people were not putting your two sense in about the victim here then nothing would of ever been said. This is a tragic event and you people are talking about it like Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie got into another fight. GET A LIFE. I have not even been to the flower shop to purchase flowers, so again before you start running your mouth about something get ALL your facts straight, and if there was a prob. you should of confronted me there. And if you really feel the need to put your two sense in then put your name and stop being a coward that only wants to talk BS over the computer. Like my family has already said a number of times this is horrible for both families and are very sorry for the widow and baby boy. So, get a life, this is a horrible time not a F*^&ing debate or up for disscussion!!
first of all...i am not an idiot! that is a direct insult to me, and you do not know me.i have not insulted you or yor family by calling you names ,because i do not know you. second... the blue card thing was brought in by someone else,that was not an insult it was a fact, and if we are gonna force feed people facts then this one should be fed too.the things that have been said about mike are just rotten and alot of it not true.you don't want negative things said about you brother, and that is totaly understandable and it hurts like hell,well guess what?mikes family,friends.wife,and baby have feelings too and they too have the right to say rotten things and they have not, and yes i know that to be a fact,they also have the right to greive, and read the heartfelt comments that people would like to write about mike,if there weren't so many rotten things said about mike then i am sure there wouldn't have been anything off color said about your brother,i too feel for you and your family and this is very hard for two sets of families and friends. baby myles has the right to grow up and make up his own mind about his daddy, he may read some of this garbage someday and that is not fair to him either,he did nothing wrong. as for the flower shopppe story...the mother of eddie and two girls that said they were the sisters announced them selves as eddies family,the loomis family,i found it strange because there is no need to state who you are when purchasing flowers, unless ordered ahead and being picked up at a later date and this was not the case here.also the phrase that you use about me and other people putting in their "TWO SENCE" is actually ..."TWO CENTS"..... may both of these young men rest in peace,and their family and freinds find comfort.
Bob K

United States

#16 Jun 24, 2008
Having spoke w/the investigating officer this morning, he clearly stated that speed and alcohol were only suspected. There has been nothing official released, in fact they are investigating possible 3rd car that pulled out forcing Michaels truck into the oncoming lane. STOP speculating and concentrate on each families loss. The truth will always set us free!!!
Stuff happens

Conroe, TX

#17 Jun 28, 2008
It happens to the best and worst of us.
liz

Johnstown, NY

#18 Jul 30, 2008
deana wrote:
We lost two people. the pain is endless for both.
Mike Arpey was my uncle, a great man and an amazing new father.He had a a huge family that will forever love him. Had it been eddie that caused the accident would we be calling him a terrible kid, No! we would be remembering him for the amazing young man and athlete and friend thst he was.What happened that night was a trgic accident and both that were lost will forever be remembered and prayed for. So to my aunt melissa my baby cousin myles and two wonderful young mn whos lives wwere cut tragically short...God Bless you will always be in my prayers
Dylan Benjamin

Spokane, WA

#19 Aug 3, 2008
Eddie Was a great friend. he was my family. I've known him since i can remember. Diane, Bob, Jessica, Brenda, im so sorry this happened. Eddie, i love you man, you're my family. ill miss you man.
Zack Lynch

Corinth, NY

#20 Oct 6, 2011
They never investigated the 3rd vehicle. Blue truck driving through the wreckage. I saw it and reported it. Being the 1st and Only person out there instantly. Ive thought about it 1,000 times.

Arpey(rip) Yes drunk and speeding northbound. Blue truck driving N-bound slow. Arpey swerves LEFT due to truck stopping to turn RIGHT on 9N at trailer park.

Poor Ed(RIP) coming down 9n. Mikes truck pulls back right but not in time. Railslides over Car and does a 180(to the right) and launches 100ft.
At this point mike is ejected out driver window farther than his truck.

Eds car stopped in 10 feet.

THEN as I run out I hear a vehicle driving through the wreckage. THEN I see the small Blue Pickup truck and I LOCK eyes with the driver. He hesitates and drives off North. I round the corner to find Mike Dying. A truck on fire, and Eds car devastated. Ed was buckled in, mike was not, amongst the carnage there was confusion about that.

I could see Mike was the only survivor and stayed with him till he died...ON the roadside.

THERE is the TRUTH

I Had to get that off my chest.
My sincerest Apologies to Everyone but the Truth is easier to swallow. And its been no Picnic for me to deal with this.

Bless you all

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Saratoga Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Q&A: Saratoga County Family Court Judge (Nov '08) Sun Animus 12
the music thread (Apr '12) Jul 23 Musikologist 20
Review: Saratoga Boatworks (Mar '09) Jul 20 suzy1129 10
News Trump demands Ginsburg resign for criticizing h... Jul 16 Synque 24
Funtown Pizza (Feb '11) Jul 10 Chefrza 2
News Many Vietnam veterans say they support lifting ... May '16 YourEx 10
News Many Vietnam vets say they support lifting of a... May '16 Bama Yankee 1

Saratoga Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance