David Ditto claims wife died from fal...

David Ditto claims wife died from fall down stairs, but was she murdered?

There are 21 comments on the CBS News story from Jan 5, 2013, titled David Ditto claims wife died from fall down stairs, but was she murdered?. In it, CBS News reports that:

MIRA MESA, Calif -- It was the early hours of March 12, 2011, when David Ditto found the lifeless body of his wife, 38 year-old Karina: 911 Operator : Hi Medical 323, what's the address of your emergency? David Ditto : 7723 Canyon Point Lane ... my wife hurt herself running down the stairs ... please send an ambulance.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
reasonable doubt

Edmonton, Canada

#1 Jan 7, 2013
I watched this show, and basically what I got out of it was that the evidence to let him off the hook was overlooked and then his character/personality was used as the evidfence to take his life from him.

The prosecutor/investigator was saying that the blood was too far from the stairs however Maureen Mahers pics of the scene showed there was bllod at the side of the foot of the stairs where there was a smudge mark leading to the pool of blood.

Which in my opinion corroborates what he said from the start. He said he went to her and dragged her away from the steps and did cpr.

I just did some research on cpr where it shows that when a person comes too, after cpr, that the person is usually aggressive, flailing arms and trying to get up which is exactly what he said happened and which would explain his scratch on the neck...

I thought about all the "controling men" I know and I can honeslty say whole heartedly that none of the controling men I know are violent and would ever physically hurt a person.

In her letters, there was never any suggestion that she was afraid of him, or feared him in any way.

I personally wonder what our court rooms are coming too. We are creating stats (via many wrongful convictions) that are teaching our children that people kill at the drop of a ahat. We are teaching ch8ildren that most people lie, and that everyone is capable of murder when someone doesnt get their way.

We are taught to believe every suspicion that law enforcement have, and to believe prosecutors theories (even when they are totally in conflict with the history and character of the person being tried)

Accidents are getting convictions as murders, and so are natural deaths. The last known person to see a person is helping to increase stats and secure the idea that the last klnown person must be guilty of a murder.

We are taught that science can tell us exactly what happened, becasue TV shows teach us that police are always right.(I say that respectfully) as they have a hard job where they put themselves in harms way for us, with good intentions) however that doesnt mean that they are always right.

Where has "innocent till proven guilty" gone? Society is teaching us that when we are called to jury, we should ignore the instructions of "reasonable doubt"and go with our gut, and consider what the media has told us about the crime until the case goes to trial.(Casey Anthony for one) where the prosecution presented zero evidence that Caylee's mother murdered her, yet society hated the jury because they did their job.

We are teaching our children that jurors are supposed to go with their gut, and not the evidence. What is this world coming too?

In the last 2 years I have studied wrongful convictions and am shocked at how easy they are established. What are we doing to be creating these scenarios?

We are being taught that reactions and body language tell us the truth however if you research the proven wrongful convictions where exoneration is granted, you will finds that a common thread is all circumstantial evidence based on reactions, and character flaws (which we all have)

God forbid, having a life insurance policy between spouses who have children.

We base our decisions on flaws within peoples releationships. I ask myself how many couples have a reltionship in this day and age, where there are no secrets whether it be affairs or finances..

We all need to go back to basics and stop putting innocent people away. We need to start allowing peoples ammendment rights of being innocent until proven guilty, using physical evidence and not circumstances. The fascination in true crime has swept over us, and somehow seems to give people the idea that if they jump on the band wagon screaming guilty, then they are good people for wanting a person to pay... even if the so called proof is circumstantial. I am proud to say that I would rather a guilty man, than innocent man be tossed asway for something he may have done...
no more drugs

Edmonton, Canada

#2 Jan 8, 2013
I put "covered in bruises" hospital in google search engine. I cant say I was that surprised to see tonnes of hits where people were describing their fall. Interesting many had severe "thogh bruising."

I then put (in google) "cardiac arrest" and hit head... WOW there were tonnes more hits on that one too.

The responding paramedic said she cardia arrest was not consistant with a fall.... WTH???

Clearly it it is. It was stating that head trauma (even light) is known to cause this...

I feel so bad for this man. I absolutley beli8eve he is telling the truth, and if society continues to suspect people of being cold blooded murderers, liars, sociopaths, etc... we will al eventually put ourselves AND OUR CHILDREN AWAY.....

I was reading that out ten cases (where murder indictments had been pressed) 8 of them return guilty convictions.

How sad that our society follows opinions of others so easily without using their head.

Convictions in cases like this where there was no evidence to substantiate murder..(no weapon, no shoe, no noise, no history of violence) that it wasnt even hard to find 12 people to be so easily convinced ........ these onvictions help the prosecution by using the conviction to increase the stats that say the husband did it, and trid to cover it up..The stats of this occuring is through the roof, and it is because of these wrongful convictions, that keep driving the stat up.....

Praying for a miracle for this man and his family.
OZZ69

Adelaide, Australia

#3 Jan 11, 2013
So you base all your assumptions on 'Google' information you looked up, and it has given you a clear outline of what exactly happened???
WOW you are smart one aren't you!!

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#4 Jan 21, 2013
...Kneeling by her side, he shook her. When she didn't respond, he began CPR. Finally, Karina started moving.

"But she was grabbing on me - hold -- trying to pull herself up. And I was holding her up.

Paramedic: "...[He was] doing CPR at one point, she had come back to and that he got the scratches on his face from that."

"Reaching up and-- and clawing?" Maher asked.

Ditto: "Yes."

Trial:

Keith Rutman: Were you able to wake her up?

David Ditto:(Overcome with emotion) No.

----------

A person may not remember it in exact order, it may be a jumbled timeline, but a person will remember a death struggle - rousing your spouse from death, if even for a brief moment. According to his story to cover his scratched face, that's exactly what he claimed happened, yet he "forgot" it when asked by his attorney in trial.

You can't have it both ways; only one of his stories could be true.

Shoe print bruising on the inside of her thigh? From a fall?

Her face and head covered in blood, but he had none on his face from CPR when paramedics arrived. He forgot to mention he put her down to go clean in face? Stopped CPR to do it?
StaceyTaylor

Page, AZ

#5 Mar 9, 2013
I took the suggestion from "reasonable doubt" and googled injuries from falling down the stairs, facial injuries (same), leg injuries (same) and got a number of hits with respective stories that showed consistent style injuries. 1. they looked like they were beaten about the face, 2. they had whelp bruising splotches on their thighs and backs, 3. they had scrapes and lacerations on their hands, 4. they had severe head injuries and fractures causing bleeding, 5. they had chin and throat injuries, bruising and bleeding.

Looks like she tripped over the cat, lost her balance and went head first, scraping body areas against the wall, slamming into step edges and crashed head first into the tile floor which would've absolutely caused serious bleeding.

In most of the illustrative injuries, they fall head below the stairs with feet still fallen on the lower steps, and a couple were diagonal to the stairs, meaning they likely slammed into the wall and it sent them careening the opposite direction, which would be diagonally across the floor.

He said he moved her and tried CPR, and they do regain consciousness and start flailing and freaking out.

And the whole notion he'd drug his kids so they wouldn't hear him is about the most absurd bunch of nonsense I've ever heard. If he had access to narcotics and wanted to kill her, he could spike her with something and let her take off in the car, pass out and wreck.

48 Hours is really good about having 98% of their episodes featuring insane cases of wrongful convictions.

I would never have voted him guilty of homicide and I hope he wins his appeals with much better and more informed experts and a better attorney.

The prosecutor is an idiot and needs to find another line of work. I shudder to think how many people have been wrongfully convicted because of her ridiculously laughable courtroom nonsense.

David's mother in law isn't the sharpest tool in the shed either.

Zero evidence of a homicide and a horrendous misdiagnosis by the "experts" on the scene.

Best of luck to David Ditto.

www.coffeecraftsandclues.com
StaceyTaylor

Page, AZ

#6 Mar 9, 2013
correction - no more drugs' suggestion
jimmy williams

Charlotte, NC

#7 Jul 6, 2013
I'm not sure,I want to go both ways but not sure,I want to believe him ,then I want to think her mom was on to something her daughter wrote her that makes sense,just what did happen
Pearl Boswell

United States

#8 Jul 6, 2013
OZZ69 wrote:
So you base all your assumptions on 'Google' information you looked up, and it has given you a clear outline of what exactly happened???
WOW you are smart one aren't you!!
Yeah I agree with you. This one smart cookie. I wonder if that's how the lawyers tried this case, by googling everything. Just LMAO.
HAHA.
foolsandimbecile s

United States

#9 Jul 6, 2013
To the idiots putting down Google for research..You are the fools. Google links can take you to millions of pages of genuine, fact based research from sources such as Harvard, Stanford, endless medical research schools, libraries nationwide, ETC ETC ETC AND ON AND ON... One could research themselves to the educated equivalent of a multiple PHD if one wanted to do so. I have probably learned about as much from internet based research than I learned from college. My Ivy League one, that is.
JiZziSaDuMmY

United States

#10 Jul 7, 2013
OZZ69 wrote:
WOW you are smart one aren't you!!(I'm sorry my name is JIZZ69 and I have marbles in my skull)
Durka Durka Sherpa Jihad! Dooooooooh....pfffft
Jett Rink

Glasgow, UK

#11 Oct 10, 2013
Dying from a fall down the stairs is mainly associated with elderly and intoxicated individuals a healthy young women would be able to protect her head she wouldnt have had large lacerations falling down one flight of carpeted domestic stairs. If she fell from the top she would have landed half way down the stairs before rolling over once or at the most twice before reaching the bottom. She would have had to have fallen down concrete stairs to have sustained so many cuts. And what about the insurance policy he took out on her life a few months before her death.
Well done to the jury for giving justice to the family
Murder Avenger

Miranda, Australia

#12 Oct 17, 2013
Definitely murder with this one. My friends little girl was pushed down the stairs with a lot of force by her brother. She got only a couple of small bruises on her knees. There was no blood or blunt force trauma. I have even tripped down the stairs once but managed to grab a railing. I just got a twisted ankle and a slight bruise on my knee and I thought that was serious. No way can anyone sustain what she had from just falling. Look at her face, they look like someone been bashed consistently over her head. Not just one or two spots on her head consistent with a fall. But multiple bashes onto her head and then how on earth did she get her thyroid choked??? I am not talking about the injection puncture that the first doctor did which was lower towards her shoulders but actually on her throat. What fricken object would cause strangulation marks whilst falling down stairs. Seriously the Jurors got it right, the guys a murderer. Also, funny that she suddenly died of falling down the stairs when she has lived there for years and coincidently about the time of a marriage breakup. How convenient!! Definitely guilty!!The people at the top who are standing up for the murderer are either dumb asses or his own family members or David the murderer himself.
truth

Erie, PA

#13 Nov 16, 2013
The judicial system got this one right. BTW, I didn't see one tear fall from this man's eye. Just red eyes
from rubbing them.
Notmurder

Rockdale, Australia

#14 Dec 21, 2013
Hmmmm cant believe this man was found guilty!! Surely they didnt have enough evidence to give him life in prison? Didnt hear of any history of the man? Has he bashed someone? Or lost the plot!? If he planded a murder the blood would be perfectly where he wanted it to be!! Kids were still asleep! Kids are always awake when there mum and dad are fighting? I just cant see enough evidence! If he didnt murder her the poor man is in prison for life.... Imagine the feeling of being in jail and knowing you done nothing wrong!! Crazy thought!!

If his mother in law believed he killed her she would never forgive him but she says in a interview that she forgives him! I KNOW FOR A FACT IF YOU KNEW SOMEONE KILLED YOUR DAUGHTER YOU COULD NEVER FORGIVE THEN

FULLSTOP.
Emma

Perth, Australia

#15 Dec 21, 2013
Karina's mother said she forgives him and then started crying. I know Christian people who say they forgive other people (just because that's what their bible tells them to do). Not at all an indication that she doesn't believe he did it. Laci Peterson's mother stood by her husband too until evidence showed him for what he was.
Emma

Perth, Australia

#16 Dec 21, 2013
You sound as clueless as his lawyer "NotMurder". He comes across as the type of man who was reaching at straws. He bashed her, stomped her, smothered her by covering her mouth and nose and then had to make up a story- Oh look there's the staircase...plus that fake face scrunching fake crying thing he does is beyond a joke. He does it every time he's confronted and tries to make himself look like a victim.
ericman1947

Columbia, SC

#17 Oct 13, 2014
The medical examiner concluded (without controversy) that her death was caused by lack of oxygen due to strangulation asphyxiation and blunt force trauma. That precludes any accidental death unless he tried to save her life by squeezing her neck to unconsciousness. Or perhaps a bushy haired stranger snuck into the home, got upstairs and then beat & strangled her before throwing her down the stairs, after which sneaking back out of the house without leaving any evidence of his presence. When criminal defense lawyers are faced with facts that only support their client's guilt they put forth theories that rely on imagination, not facts, hoping for a single gullible juror to cause a mistrial.
ericman1947

Columbia, SC

#18 Oct 13, 2014
Notmurder wrote:
Hmmmm cant believe this man was found guilty!! Surely they didnt have enough evidence to give him life in prison? Didnt hear of any history of the man? Has he bashed someone? Or lost the plot!? If he planded a murder the blood would be perfectly where he wanted it to be!! Kids were still asleep! Kids are always awake when there mum and dad are fighting? I just cant see enough evidence! If he didnt murder her the poor man is in prison for life.... Imagine the feeling of being in jail and knowing you done nothing wrong!! Crazy thought!!
If his mother in law believed he killed her she would never forgive him but she says in a interview that she forgives him! I KNOW FOR A FACT IF YOU KNEW SOMEONE KILLED YOUR DAUGHTER YOU COULD NEVER FORGIVE THEN
FULLSTOP.
The only reason to forgive him, or anyone, is if the person is GUILTY. Do you unnderstand? IF I was accused of breaking a window in your house, but you found out another person did it, would you have any reason to forgive me for the crime? Of course not. Her mother has reason to forgive ONLY if she believes he is guilty.
Frank Furtive

Valparaiso, IN

#19 Mar 27, 2015
PHONY baloney.

GUILTY AS SIN

Killers should never attempt phony emotions.
Frank Furtive

Valparaiso, IN

#20 Mar 27, 2015
Jett Rink wrote:
Dying from a fall down the stairs is mainly associated with elderly and intoxicated individuals a healthy young women would be able to protect her head she wouldnt have had large lacerations falling down one flight of carpeted domestic stairs. If she fell from the top she would have landed half way down the stairs before rolling over once or at the most twice before reaching the bottom. She would have had to have fallen down concrete stairs to have sustained so many cuts. And what about the insurance policy he took out on her life a few months before her death.
Well done to the jury for giving justice to the family
CORRECT !! Reminds of when the HEALTHY, MIDDLE AGE wife of killer kop Drew Peterson supposedly drown in her bathtub. Statistics indicated that was 1 in 10,000 odds. Those numbers
aren't reasonable doubt.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Diego Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NO ILLEGALS DRUGS in U.S. Mon NO DRUGS ILLEGALS... 1
Jan Windglows REPORTED to San Diego Polcie for ... Mon Victim of Jan Win... 1
Poll IS santee still a Racist Town? (Mar '08) Aug 30 yeo 115
here's how gang stalkers can make the world a b... Aug 29 gsing ends in la ... 3
Tim Tatro and Peter Zamoyski "attorneys" (Dec '14) Aug 27 Harry 26
massive chinese furniture web-site and relative... Aug 27 jimheeren 1
Review: SelfHelpWorks (Jan '15) Aug 26 rossettijamie 32
More from around the web

Personal Finance

San Diego Mortgages