Suspect In PB Fatal Stabbing Turns Himself In

Police in San Diego have made an arrest in the fatal stabbing of a 25-year-old man during a fight in the Pacific Beach neighborhood. Full Story
First Prev
of 58
Next Last
Julia

North Hollywood, CA

#1 Jan 11, 2006
If you guys are going to report a story, get the facts straight. The victims name is Jon Lefler Panella. Pronouced: Pa-Nel-La. It is a tragic story, and a fight that got out of hand. R.I.P Jon.... If this was self defense how the hell did Mike Sullivan have enough time to stab the victim so many times that it caused death. It is clear,who the victim is here....
tread

San Diego, CA

#2 Jan 12, 2006
If you were in a situation were your life was in danger. I think you could stab a person 15 times in under 4 seconds. Now was this self defence..? Guess we will find out.
chris

Poway, CA

#3 Jun 1, 2006
it is quite incredulous how 'tread' was able to tell how long the victim Mike Sullivan stabbed his assailant. Mr. Sullivan clearly acted in self defense after being attacked by multiple persons. I hope the justice system will actually do something right and release Mike Sullivan.
Jay

United States

#4 Jun 22, 2006
They had to pull Lefler Panella off of sullivan after the stabbing! He was on top, sullivan on the bottom!
Now that is self defense! 4 guys attack sullivan and have him pinned to the ground? I would have done the same thing, self defense.
scott

Del Mar, CA

#5 Jul 30, 2006
self defense i don't think so...mike was a former marine with hand to hand combat training and trained on how to fight with a knife...it's part of there training....plus 4 guys attack him were are there injuries...how would he even have a chance to get at a knife...sounds fishy... what ever happened to the old days were you fought with your fists...sorry for the victim's family
scott

Del Mar, CA

#6 Jul 30, 2006
chris wrote:
it is quite incredulous how 'tread' was able to tell how long the victim Mike Sullivan stabbed his assailant. Mr. Sullivan clearly acted in self defense after being attacked by multiple persons. I hope the justice system will actually do something right and release Mike Sullivan.
free him no way...lock him up...he had plenty of hand to hand combat training in the marines to handle that situation...he choose a cowards way out than ran away instead of staying there...if it was self defense he should not of run cause he would of had no reason to...sounds like he had another motive----murder 1st degree
scott

Del Mar, CA

#7 Jul 30, 2006
Jay wrote:
They had to pull Lefler Panella off of sullivan after the stabbing! He was on top, sullivan on the bottom!
Now that is self defense! 4 guys attack sullivan and have him pinned to the ground? I would have done the same thing, self defense.
how you know he was on top were you there...if 4 guys were fighting you and had you pinned how could you get a knife and stab someone 14-15 times with out touching the other three...face it was a one on one and he had to finish it with a knife...hope he gets what he deserves
scott

Del Mar, CA

#8 Jul 30, 2006
Julia wrote:
If you guys are going to report a story, get the facts straight. The victims name is Jon Lefler Panella. Pronouced: Pa-Nel-La. It is a tragic story, and a fight that got out of hand. R.I.P Jon.... If this was self defense how the hell did Mike Sullivan have enough time to stab the victim so many times that it caused death. It is clear,who the victim is here....
sorry for the loss
Adam

Brookline, MA

#9 Nov 9, 2006
scott wrote:
self defense i don't think so...mike was a former marine with hand to hand combat training and trained on how to fight with a knife...it's part of there training....plus 4 guys attack him were are there injuries...how would he even have a chance to get at a knife...sounds fishy... what ever happened to the old days were you fought with your fists...sorry for the victim's family
First of all, you can't blame Mr. Sullivan's Marine Corps training for this. I know Mike Sullivan, I served with Mike Sullivan in the Marine Corps, and I can tell you for a fact that Mike was never trained in close combat beyond basic hand to hand combat. No knife fighting. You watch too many movies. Second, I know that Mike would never have used a knife in a fist fight unless he thought he had no other options. I hope people will wait to judge him until they hear his side of the story.
Sherry

United States

#10 Dec 11, 2006
Why are so many people acting like they were there? And if there were four guys on top of Sullivan, how did he get a chance to run afterwards? Did all of the 4 men suddenly lose all the power they had when they were on top of Sullivan? Isn't it true that this guy had a record? And if there were so many people involved in the fight, wouldn't they have been able to arrest him sooner?

I have been in traumatic situations, been assaulted, and can't imagine stabbing someone 15 times in a short or long span of time, unless I went absolutely berserk.

Let's teach our sons to do better, to handle conflict without violence. We can't keep losing young men this way, either to death or to jail.

Blessings to Jon's grieving family.
Mike

San Diego, CA

#11 Jan 17, 2007
I was not there, but if I were getting my nose chomped on by someone, who by the way was bigger than Mr. Sullivan, I would stab them until they 1. stopped bitting me 2. got off of me or 3. died. Jon was fighting, Sullivan was fighting, a tragedy took place! It is not up to us, people who were in neither mans shoes to judge, it is up to our system to do the right thing.(hopefully!)

good luck Sully

Miguel
Nelly

Napa, CA

#12 Jan 22, 2007
You were not there and you can not say that John LP was chomping on this criminals nose. Who in there right mind as a grown man would do that? Would you? Oh yeah I forgot, you support a man like Mr. Sullivan you probably would. You are a complete idiot! You must be a violent killer too. And yes I am attacking your character. I don't know the Sullivan guy but stabbing someone 15 times is no longer self defense it's murder. Mr. Sullivan went to his car which was in a different location got the knife and went after John. John's girlfriend is the one who was trying to get Mr. Sullivan off of John. She got attacked by this crazy man too. You people need to stop thinking that this Sullivan guy was in is right mind. You don't know what someone can turn into. Stop making excuses for him. He brought a knife to a fight not the other way around. He put himself in that situation. Instead of getting the s*** beat out of him he killed someone. What a great guy! I would be so proud to be his friend or family right now. Or maybe not! Stop and think.....if John was your brother or your friend or you son. Stop protecting a killer!!!!
Mike wrote:
I was not there, but if I were getting my nose chomped on by someone, who by the way was bigger than Mr. Sullivan, I would stab them until they 1. stopped bitting me 2. got off of me or 3. died. Jon was fighting, Sullivan was fighting, a tragedy took place! It is not up to us, people who were in neither mans shoes to judge, it is up to our system to do the right thing.(hopefully!)
good luck Sully
Miguel
Mike

United States

#13 Jan 23, 2007
To answer your question,Yes I would!! especially if I were out numbered and smaller than most of the people attacking me. Maybe those "How to be an ultimate fighter" books that John LP was carrying around in his truck have nothing to say about his "kind and gentle" character, but I tend to think other wise. Your "friend" approached, challenged, fought and lost! And as I stated before that it was a tragedy, but it takes two to tango and this was a street fight and there are NO rules there! So you go right ahead and attack my character all you want, but I'll bet that anybody in the right/wrong circumstance would do whatever it took to save themselves, even the self-righteous like yourself. Now, after reading your post I don't think that you were there either, and it would be safe to say that you are either a close friend to the family or the girlfriend. This tells me that you don't want to look at the other side, and that is understandable, but why is that when somebody is killed while taking part in a crime themselves is always remembered as such a "kind and gentle person who had such a big heart and great personality"? sort of like a gang member who lost in the shoot out for the local drug corner. Can you answer me that? And what if the tables were turned and your BOY had knocked out Mr. Sullivan, who could have hit his head and died, would you still think that your BOY was still such a kind person? That to would have been MURDER and the media would paint him in the same light that they are painting Mr. Sullivan, and yes I realize that the two are completely different incidents, BUT the results are the same. One man is dead and another is just as dead, but has to live with this fact everyday! And by the way a Murderer, Killer, or any other superlative relative to a cold hearted motherf@#%er does not describe Sully, because I know for a fact that he thinks of John everyday and is not proud of the fact that he took another human beings life. Now I am not suggesting you or anybody else feel sorry for him, but put yourself is either mans shoes and they both f#@*ed up that night.

Nelly wrote:
You were not there and you can not say that John LP was chomping on this criminals nose. Who in there right mind as a grown man would do that? Would you? Oh yeah I forgot, you support a man like Mr. Sullivan you probably would. You are a complete idiot! You must be a violent killer too. And yes I am attacking your character. I don't know the Sullivan guy but stabbing someone 15 times is no longer self defense it's murder. Mr. Sullivan went to his car which was in a different location got the knife and went after John. John's girlfriend is the one who was trying to get Mr. Sullivan off of John. She got attacked by this crazy man too. You people need to stop thinking that this Sullivan guy was in is right mind. You don't know what someone can turn into. Stop making excuses for him. He brought a knife to a fight not the other way around. He put himself in that situation. Instead of getting the s*** beat out of him he killed someone. What a great guy! I would be so proud to be his friend or family right now. Or maybe not! Stop and think.....if John was your brother or your friend or you son. Stop protecting a killer!!!! <quoted text>
Nelly

Napa, CA

#14 Jan 23, 2007
No, I am not close to either party and no I wasn't there. What I have read about this case is that there was a fight in the bar that was initiated by "Sully". The two were then kicked out of the club and "Sully" is the one who went after John. Who was killed by his truck not the other way around. I do understand that "Sully" is sorry that he took someones life. I am happy to hear that. But it doesn't change what he did. John may have had a book about ultimate fighting in his truck but I don't hear you talking about what the found in your friends vehicle. If I recall they found some very damning evidence of him being a violent man. And as for John being a kind and gentle character you said that not me. He did get into a fight to protect what he thought was right as did "Sully" but once again John is not the one who had a knife. And you are right a street fight doesn't have any rules but the law does. Oh, and as for "sully" being out numbered the reports I have read say that it was just John and his girlfriend. John had called is friends to let them know he had just got into a fight. I understand that you want to stick up for your friend but at some point you need to look at the true evidence not what he is telling you. Oh, and to let you know I am no were near self-righteous. We have all been into fights and done things that we regret but there is a fine line between things we regret and killing someone by stabbing them 15 times. And to answer you question about the victim always being thought of as kind hearted and gentle, at the end they are the one who paid the ultimate sacrafice. I know that John fought MiKe Sullivan, his family knows it, the media knows it, the courts know it, he protected himself from someone who attacked him. And you can say it was the other way around but you and I both know that "Sully" confronted John in the bar. There is video to prove it. Mike Sullivans life may be over because of his actions but at least he gets the chance to try to make it right in his eyes. John gets to lie ten feet under, not to breathe, not to think, not to read his ultimate fighter books, not to love, not to experience the rest of his life. Mike made the wrong choice of going to find John and start fighting again. He is the one who made the choice to get a knife and stab someone 15 times. He could have gone home with hurt pride and lived the rest of his life and now he will not be able to do that because of the choice he made and John would still be alive. They would both be free and they would have forgotten about a stupid bar fight in PB.
mike

United States

#15 Jan 23, 2007
You didn't address the media issue here. Are these so called reports that you refer to media driven? I sat in a court room while the prosecutor tried to say that Sully was affiliated with a certain biker gang and that he had a tattoo on his body proving this, SHE WAS WRONG and so justly proven so, I sat in the court room while she, the prosecutor, discussed the video and all the video shows is that John approaches Sully says something and then the fight takes place. The security there are on record stating that sully was ejected out the parking lot door and that John was ejected out the front door and proceeded around the building saw sully and continued the fight, with his group of friends that left with him. There are numerous witnesses that stated that there were multiple people attacking Sully, these are people that were passer-byes. I sat in a courtroom where the same friends of Johns threatened every bodies life who was there to support Sully, a number of these people were there that evening, when Sully was there with no backup.
You are right the are laws, and the need to be observed. John threw the first punch, he broke the law, assault, he attacked Sully in the parking lot, he broke the law again. Then he died! This SUCKS for his family, friends and girlfriend, but having been surrounded by friends how did a 160lb. man get through these knuckleheads and single out John and fatally stab him without anybody else stepping in?
he was attacked on the bottom and getting the shit kick out of him when he resorted to fatal action, Both of these knuckleheads f#@*ed up, but this is what or society has created, violent men that don't know when they had a good ass kicking.
Nelly

Napa, CA

#16 Jan 23, 2007
I've heard from people that were also in the court room and they say the complete oppisite of what you say. John friends are saying that Mike Sullivans friends threatened them. As a matter of fact they also said they were followed by these same men in a black truck. So, it's just a bunch of he said he said (in this case). Tatoos don't make a person affiliated to a gang I agree with that. There are also people on record saying that Mike Sullivan is the one who came after John. I for one still think that Mike Sullivan is a cold blooded killer. You can not blame society for his actions. He got into a fight and he was loosing. If he was that mad why didn't he go after everyone that was kicking the s*** out of him not just John. Why was John singled out. There had to been a reason which makes it premeditated.Mike Sullivan thought about what he was going to do. I don't see why you won't just state the fact the he had to go get a knife and find John again to stab him. And if he had the knife on him what was the reason. Does he get into fights so much that he needs illegal protection? Sitting in a courtroom hearing what you want to hear doesn't make me feel like what you or anyone else that are friends is telling me. The facts will prove what really happened and I can only hope that justice is served. And I truly hope that you can stop looking at this from a friends point of view. You may see things a lot different.
mike wrote:
You didn't address the media issue here. Are these so called reports that you refer to media driven? I sat in a court room while the prosecutor tried to say that Sully was affiliated with a certain biker gang and that he had a tattoo on his body proving this, SHE WAS WRONG and so justly proven so, I sat in the court room while she, the prosecutor, discussed the video and all the video shows is that John approaches Sully says something and then the fight takes place. The security there are on record stating that sully was ejected out the parking lot door and that John was ejected out the front door and proceeded around the building saw sully and continued the fight, with his group of friends that left with him. There are numerous witnesses that stated that there were multiple people attacking Sully, these are people that were passer-byes. I sat in a courtroom where the same friends of Johns threatened every bodies life who was there to support Sully, a number of these people were there that evening, when Sully was there with no backup.
You are right the are laws, and the need to be observed. John threw the first punch, he broke the law, assault, he attacked Sully in the parking lot, he broke the law again. Then he died! This SUCKS for his family, friends and girlfriend, but having been surrounded by friends how did a 160lb. man get through these knuckleheads and single out John and fatally stab him without anybody else stepping in?
he was attacked on the bottom and getting the shit kick out of him when he resorted to fatal action, Both of these knuckleheads f#@*ed up, but this is what or society has created, violent men that don't know when they had a good ass kicking.
mike

United States

#17 Jan 25, 2007
It is clear here that all we are doing is agreeing to disagree. Thank you for the dialogue, but I think that we are finished here, and by the way to stop thinking like a friend wouldn't make me much of a friend now would it? Unfortunately one of us is going to be disappointed with an outcome.
Nelly wrote:
I've heard from people that were also in the court room and they say the complete oppisite of what you say. John friends are saying that Mike Sullivans friends threatened them. As a matter of fact they also said they were followed by these same men in a black truck. So, it's just a bunch of he said he said (in this case). Tatoos don't make a person affiliated to a gang I agree with that. There are also people on record saying that Mike Sullivan is the one who came after John. I for one still think that Mike Sullivan is a cold blooded killer. You can not blame society for his actions. He got into a fight and he was loosing. If he was that mad why didn't he go after everyone that was kicking the s*** out of him not just John. Why was John singled out. There had to been a reason which makes it premeditated.Mike Sullivan thought about what he was going to do. I don't see why you won't just state the fact the he had to go get a knife and find John again to stab him. And if he had the knife on him what was the reason. Does he get into fights so much that he needs illegal protection? Sitting in a courtroom hearing what you want to hear doesn't make me feel like what you or anyone else that are friends is telling me. The facts will prove what really happened and I can only hope that justice is served. And I truly hope that you can stop looking at this from a friends point of view. You may see things a lot different.<quoted text>
mike

United States

#18 Jan 25, 2007
ya know what? I was just rereading your first paragraph of your last post and you say that you've "heard from people that were also in the courtroom", but what puzzles me is that in a previous post you claim to have no affiliation with either party, "No, I am not close to either party and no I wasn't there. What I have read about this case". So are you just forming an opinion off of media reports or are you affiliated with anybody from John's camp?
Nelly

Napa, CA

#19 Jan 26, 2007
I do know one of John's friends. We are not close but when I read about this in the Napa paper I was interested in what happened. John is from my hometown so of course I would read and talk to my friend about it. It's not often but when I do have a question about what I've read I ask. I have to say though I don't always agree with what he is saying. When I first read your post I was angry at what you had to say but talking to you more gives me some perspective on how Mr. Sullivans friends feel. And as for you not being a good friend if you stopped forming an opinion in such, I don't think that is true. I think it would make you a better friend because then maybe you could help him truly understand everything that may or may not happen. You always being optimistic may hurt him in the long run. We do disagree and one of us may be disappointed with the outcome but we both want justice. I've had a friend that as been accused and convicted of doing some awful thing to someone and he spent 6 years of his life in jail. To this day I think that he and the other party kept a huge part of what happened to themselves. I would like for you to remember (if it is not asking to much) that Mr. Sullivan may be one of your best friends but when it comes to being free or being labeled a killer he may not being telling his friends and family the whole truth. Maybe he or anyone else for that matter wouldn't want to see the sadness and disappointment in the eyes of the ones closest to him/them.
mike

United States

#20 Feb 6, 2007
I agree with you that a constant optimism is more harmful than helpful. I grew up in this beach culture that surrounds this unfortunate tragedy. The mentality of a large portion of the knuckleheads here believe that by jumping into a violent situation gains them a certain status with their peers. Please don't get me wrong, I am not saying that John was or could have been like this, I never knew the man, but having listened to friends that were at the scene and having attended what court hearings I was invited to go to, the story does not seem to far off the beaten path of the Pacific Beach thug culture. Now am I totally naive to the fact that Sully may have also possessed this knucklehead mentality? No. Because if he didn't, to some extent, he would not be in this predicament, nor would you and I be partaking in such dialogue.
My wife and I talked to Sully prior to moving to the beach and tried to discourage the move to no avail. I am going to stand by Sully 100%, but I will not be giving him false hope and at the same time there are the proper moments to tell somebody that you told them so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 58
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Diego Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mesa College Press 37 min Hegy 7
Are S.D.'s politicians corrupt? (May '08) 57 min Hegy 28
Need black 6 hr Rob 2
Earthquake Prediction San Diego Louie Lujan 8 hr Silver Blade 22
Go Back to New York, Nadelman 9 hr Silver Blade 24
Merry Christmas S.D. Police Dept , Alert >>>>... 14 hr American_Sons 4
Need Black 16 hr Jay in Chula Vista 2
San Diego Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

San Diego People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

San Diego News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in San Diego

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:41 pm PST