De Anza Cove Residents Denied $48M Re...

De Anza Cove Residents Denied $48M Relocation Funds

There are 1209 comments on the NBC San Diego story from Mar 10, 2008, titled De Anza Cove Residents Denied $48M Relocation Funds. In it, NBC San Diego reports that:

A dispute between the city of San Diego and residents of a Mission Bay mobile home park heated up again Monday, after a Superior Court rejected the homeowners' request for relocation funds.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC San Diego.

First Prev
of 61
Next Last
Native 69

San Diego, CA

#1 Mar 10, 2008
This drain of taxpayer money has been going almost as long as the "search" for a new airport site. What is it that these people don't get? It has been said over and over throughout the last 25 years that these people need to get the F-out! Stop wasting our tax dollars on frivolous bull$h!t!!
Beach Dog

San Diego, CA

#2 Mar 10, 2008
48 million?? Where do they want to be relocated to: Beverly Hills?
Tuffy Hamilton

Madison, IN

#3 Mar 10, 2008
Right judical decision. I remember when they were first ordered off in 1981. I am tired of handouts like this. Plenty of time to act before this decision.
Rob

San Diego, CA

#4 Mar 10, 2008
The remaining 1.199 million residents of this city are under no obligation to subsidize the living of 1000 squatters whose lease expired three and one-half ago. It is appalling to me that they have lived at our expense for this long and that we taxpayers are going to have pay them a penny to get off of our land. The land belongs to the city and therefore all the taxpayers of the city. They city and the taxpayers could be making money from this land and reducing the budget deficit. Good bye and good riddance.
Ted Mabbatt

United States

#5 Mar 10, 2008
I am an eight year resident and home owner at De Anza Cove. I noticed while seeing your report on TV and reading this article that you fail to mention the California Mobile Home Residency Law which is the basis of our arguement for relocation assistance mandated by law when a mobile home park closes. We just want what is fair.
Ted Mabbatt

United States

#6 Mar 10, 2008
Beach Dog wrote:
If you divide $48 Million by 350 homes they would get $137,000 which after paying at least $20,000 to move the unit anywhere, leaves you with not even enough for a down payment on a new home in San Diego. Besides most of the residents are elderly and on fixed incomes. They can't afford to live anywhere comparable in San Diego or California. The CA Mobile Home Residency Law mandates that residents be assisted in relocation, which includes relocation to similar living standards and location. I wish the city luck, they're going to need it. Maybe they should have just taken the deal.
Locol Man

United States

#7 Mar 10, 2008
I've been throught De Anza Cove several times it's a dump, a bunch of broken down mobilehomes. I'm glad its being turn into a park, maybe the rest of use San Diegans can enjoy it. It's a total eyesore to look at, thats my take on it whats yours?
Corkey

AOL

#8 Mar 10, 2008
Ask what the "residents of the mobile home park" pay in rent. I think you will be surprised by the amount of rent that is collected by the city of San Diego, who is the operator of the park. If you turn it into park land, where will the city get the thousands of dollars to maintain it, water the grass, trim the palm trees, cut the grass, and with NO income to pay for that. The people of San Diego can use the beach now, but there is never anyone there using it. Get real, there are Paying residents there now.. paying over a million dollars per month for rent.
boisei

El Cajon, CA

#9 Mar 10, 2008
What? Hey before any of you post ignorant comments like I just read maybe you should look into the contract. Hey Rob before you through out lame opinions like yours maybe you should look into the provisions thats in the contract, and btw squatters? I think those people in De Anza are paying rent, you stupid a**. Hey Tuffy what you stupid or something would you work without a contract in fact do you know how to read a contract, dude if the city had any leg to stand on those people wouldn't even be their but because their is a law called THE MOBILE RESIDENCY LAW the city has a responsibility to pay those residents you stupid ass. Also, the city doesnt own the land its own by the state of CA not the city of San Diego, its only leased out you idiot. You think the city of San Diego is telling you truth man guys are bigger idiots then I thought. Hey why don't any of you question the city and as ask them how much they are paying Gordon and Rees to fight those people TRY OVER A MILLIONS FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS THATS RIGHT TAX PAYERS MONEY GOING TO SOME BLOOD SUCKING LAWYERS..So before you throw out stupid riduculous lame ignorant comments maybe you should look into the law...Your political leaders are lying to the people of San Diego in regards to De Anza, sorry compensation is owed by WHATS IN THE MOBILE RESIDENCY LAW BASICALLY THE CONTRACT....Hey Beach Dog 48 million is chump change compared to what the City is paying Gordon and Rees to fight those residents in fact do the math its even a condo in El Cajon...And, lastly, I guess people love watching others getting ripped off, hey hypothetically speaking can I get in contract with any of you for any reason and break it, yeah right I don't think so WHY!! BECAUSE ITS A CONTRACT get it CONTRACT HELLO!!!
Interested visitor

Bakersfield, CA

#11 Mar 10, 2008
There are very few affordable communities in the San Diego area. This is one. People lived happily and cooperatively on this tiny piece of land. Where can they possibly go that would even come close, let alone be able to afford it.
I say leave them there. Why does the city need this piece of land anyway? Where are they going to go? At least give them some funding to move somewhere decent.
boisei

El Cajon, CA

#12 Mar 10, 2008
Native 69 wrote:
This drain of taxpayer money has been going almost as long as the "search" for a new airport site. What is it that these people don't get? It has been said over and over throughout the last 25 years that these people need to get the F-out! Stop wasting our tax dollars on frivolous bull$h!t!!
Hey before you start looking stupid maybe you should read the contract called the MOBILE RESIDENCY LAW, hey we can go back and forth because I have mounds and mounds of evidence showing how much the City is lying...so again its called a contract you know what that is right? hmmm let me see know you don't because if you did you wouldn'blurp out a bunch of BS...
boisei

El Cajon, CA

#13 Mar 10, 2008
Beach Dog wrote:
Hey idiot its not who owes who its all about the contract called the MOBILE RESDIENCY LAW, do you know what a contract is? hmmmm let me see no you dont because if you did you wouldn't be ignorant enough to throw out a bunch of BS...so before you question the residents here maybe you should ask the city how much they are paying Gordon and Rees, thats right your tax payers money and btw we pay taxed too A Hole....
Stay tune

El Cajon, CA

#14 Mar 10, 2008
The judge will rule!
Stay tune

El Cajon, CA

#15 Mar 10, 2008
Native 69 wrote:
Stop wasting our tax dollars on frivolous bull$h!t!!
Why did the city hire outside counsel to fight their fight. That's right lawyers don't like to lose, however, they will if the price is right!
anonymous park lover

San Diego, CA

#16 Mar 10, 2008
I've lived here for 30 years now, and have waited for the day that I, a citizen of San Diego and California, would be able to use that hijacked cove. These "unfortunate elderly people" were neither unfortunate nor elderly 30 years ago. I say throw them out tomorrow, and bulldoze the land. Turn it into the beautiful area of Mission Bay Park that it was MEANT TO BE from the beginning, open to the public, not a bunch of squatters. Those people have absolutely NO RIGHTS WHATSOVER to any public assistance in getting the heck out of there. I say, don't waste our already short supply of municipal and/or state funding helping them to get out. We need the money for schools and filling potholes! In 1981, I thought that bunch would be gone in a year. Wow, almost 30 years later, and they're still there. GET OUT NOW is what I have to say to that bunch that's sitting on my park.

It's OUR LAND -- GET OUT NOW!! And don't ask the rest of us to help pay for the gasoline it takes to "relocate" your mobile mansions!
John

United States

#17 Mar 10, 2008
The city of San Diego has bullied and used cruelty to force the residents out. There are MILLIONS that have been paid to the city for YEARS from the tenants there and none of it was saved like required by law to care for and move the residents out! Anyone can go to court and view the court papers and see for themselves what atrocious behavior the city has conducted on these poor elderly people. Aguirre has allowed his minions to continue the torture of the poor people there. If you are uninformed about what is going on there , go ASK the residents yourself!!! Go visit and hear how they have suffered so badly for the past 5 years!!! Don't say anything bad about the residents if you don't know what is going on there!
Stay tune

El Cajon, CA

#18 Mar 10, 2008
anonymous park lover wrote:
Wow, almost 30 years later, and they're still there.
LOL!
The funny thing, if the city has it their way. You know, deny, delay and deceive. They'll be their another 30 years!
anonymous park lover

San Diego, CA

#20 Mar 10, 2008
John

No one wants to be cruel or forceful. But these people have lived on some of the most beautiful public land in the city for a very, VERY long time. They were told in 1981 that they'd have to leave. But they didn't. Then they had 27 year's to figure things out. But they didn't. TWENTY SEVEN YEARS!

I don't think that saying "GET OUT NOW" -- after 27 years -- is either cruel or forceful. Leaving is the right thing for them to do. And leave they should!

So I still have the same message for the Squatters of De Anza Cove: JUST LEAVE. NOW.

APL
anonymous park lover

San Diego, CA

#21 Mar 10, 2008
Stay Tune

You may well be right. That seems to be the norm for America's Finest City.

APL
Stay tune

El Cajon, CA

#22 Mar 10, 2008
anonymous park lover wrote:
I don't think that saying "GET OUT NOW" -- after 27 years -- is either cruel or forceful. Leaving is the right thing for them to do. And leave they should!
So I still have the same message for the Squatters of De Anza Cove: JUST LEAVE. NOW.
APL
And leave they will, as soon as, the goverment and judical system are done wasting your money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 61
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Diego Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Migrants fill Tijuana shelters, more on way to ... 23 hr Porterhouse fatman 2
Review: Papa Alex Psychic and Multi Services (Dec '16) Fri Fina 2
Kunntsher to tour S D Fri file cloik clurk ... 1
News Not a good memory for Otay Ranch student left o... (May '18) Nov 15 turmp2021 3
Stupid people need to grow up Oct 25 Melinda When 1
News Woman hit by car while crossing El Cajon Boulev... Oct 18 Berger_ Christy 2
Viva La Kavanaugh Oct '18 Kitty 4

San Diego Jobs

Personal Finance

San Diego Mortgages